RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jenny Boucek hired as Mavericks assistant coach

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 07/19/18 12:34 am    ::: Jenny Boucek hired as Mavericks assistant coach Reply Reply with quote

Mavericks add Jenny Boucek to coaching staff

Quote:
The hire comes months after a Sports Illustrated report that indicated Dallas had a hostile workplace for women in the organization, and after the Mavericks hired former AT&T executive Cynthia Marshall as CEO.

Boucek worked last year for the Sacramento Kings as a player development coach.

PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 07/19/18 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i don't know what to make of this. great for women? i suppose yes. great for the players? i dunno. in the W i personally didn't think she was all that great as a head coach and she did make a quick exit

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/19/18 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Joke!

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/19/18 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhoenixxLily wrote:
i don't know what to make of this. great for women? i suppose yes. great for the players? i dunno. in the W i personally didn't think she was all that great as a head coach and she did make a quick exit

same thought. I wondered if they picked her for her ability or her looks. If the latter, it's kinda the same ol same ol. But maybe she is more effective behind the scenes rather than as a head coach.

- Amanda Gorman
Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/19/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, some people are just much, much better as assistant coaches than as the person in charge. Also, countless guys get re-hired by teams after being a disaster coaching elsewhere - so why shouldn't it start happening for women as well? Good luck to her.

PostPosted: 07/19/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats To J Boo !

PostPosted: 07/19/18 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
PhoenixxLily wrote:

same thought. I wondered if they picked her for her ability or her looks. If the latter, it's kinda the same ol same ol. But maybe she is more effective behind the scenes rather than as a head coach.

From that article:
Quote:
...The hire comes months after a Sports Illustrated report that indicated Dallas had a hostile workplace for women in the organization, and after the Mavericks hired former AT&T executive Cynthia Marshall as CEO.

So, maybe it's a bit of both. That is, hiring a female on the coaching staff because of the negative reputation the franchise had in regards to the workplace environment. At the same time, Jenny has much experience in being an assistant coach instead of a head coach.

She has been fired from two head coaching jobs in the WNBA. It would be hard for me to imagine a third WNBA franchise giving her another head coaching position.

PostPosted: 07/19/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Yeah, some people are just much, much better as assistant coaches than as the person in charge. Also, countless guys get re-hired by teams after being a disaster coaching elsewhere - so why shouldn't it start happening for women as well? Good luck to her.

Boucek was an assistant when Seattle won with Anne Donovan in charge, and she also worked for the Sonics, as I recall.

I'm sure there's some PR aspects involved, but there's too much at stake for the Mavs to hire her as just a sop to political correctness.

PostPosted: 07/19/18 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She has spend time with the Maverics and Rick Carlisle. So this is not a suprise to me

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
PhoenixxLily
I Voted

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 07/19/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
myrtle wrote:
PhoenixxLily wrote:

From that article:
Quote:
...The hire comes months after a Sports Illustrated report that indicated Dallas had a hostile workplace for women in the organization, and after the Mavericks hired former AT&T executive Cynthia Marshall as CEO.

So, maybe it's a bit of both. That is, hiring a female on the coaching staff because of the negative reputation the franchise had in regards to the workplace environment. At the same time, Jenny has much experience in being an assistant coach instead of a head coach.

She has been fired from two head coaching jobs in the WNBA. It would be hard for me to imagine a third WNBA franchise giving her another head coaching position.

Pokey. i honestly have no idea how or why she's still a coach anywhere let alone the W Rolling Eyes

tfan

PostPosted: 07/20/18 1:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
She has spend time with the Maverics and Rick Carlisle. So this is not a suprise to me

Yeah, I should have added that quote from the article:

Quote:
Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle, who had her help with Dallas’ training camp in 2014, said she “will be involved in wide-ranging basketball assignments.”

She was promoted to head coach in January 2015.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 07/20/18 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Boucek was an assistant when Seattle won with Anne Donovan in charge, and she also worked for the Sonics, as I recall.

I'm sure there's some PR aspects involved, but there's too much at stake for the Mavs to hire her as just a sop to political correctness.

going back in memory about 10 years, but I think i'm correct on this.

she was also on the Agler coaching staff when they won in 2010. remember that hubbub about how many coaches could be in the arena or some such idiocy? I remember cuz she wasn't in the building when the Storm won in Atlanta.

PostPosted: 07/25/18 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now also the first Pregnant Female NBA coach as well ! Congrats Jenny Boo

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24139796/zach-lowe-dallas-mavericks-assistant-coach-jenny-boucek-nba

Quote:

"There's something I've got to tell you," Boucek said. It was something she had told very few people, and almost no one in the NBA.

"I'm pregnant," Boucek, now 44, divulged. She was due in the summer.

PostPosted: 07/25/18 3:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Now also the first Pregnant Female NBA coach as well ! Congrats Jenny Boo

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24139796/zach-lowe-dallas-mavericks-assistant-coach-jenny-boucek-nba

Quote:

"There's something I've got to tell you," Boucek said. It was something she had told very few people, and almost no one in the NBA.

"I'm pregnant," Boucek, now 44, divulged. She was due in the summer.

I was unhappy with Jenny B as a head coach, but I sure do wish her the best with her baby and motherhood.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/25/18 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Doctors eventually managed to implant one around March 2017. It worked. Boucek was pregnant.

About seven weeks later, doctors discovered the baby's heart had stopped beating. Boucek confided about the miscarriage with Bird before a Storm practice.

Boucek's doctors told her she should take some time to recuperate, and try again -- this time with her frozen eggs.

The younger, frozen eggs fertilized easily. Doctors implanted one in the summer of 2017. It did not lead to a successful pregnancy. Boucek was on the hot seat with the Storm, and wonders if the stress impacted the outcome. She had few frozen eggs left.

"I was devastated," she says. "I felt like it was my last hope."

The Storm fired Boucek on Aug. 10, in the middle of a disappointing sub-.500 season.

If the timeline is correct, Boucek had the miscarriage at the start of the 2017 WNBA season.

Without having any inside knowledge of the situation, one might expect that this had a tremendous impact on her life, including her work life.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/25/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Really interesting story whether you give a damn about Boucek's career or not. Nice to hear that teams didn't run for the hills when they heard they'd also have to deal with the complications of the pregnancy/child as well.

PostPosted: 07/25/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Really interesting story whether you give a damn about Boucek's career or not. Nice to hear that teams didn't run for the hills when they heard they'd also have to deal with the complications of the pregnancy/child as well.

Yes i was waiting to read about the part where teams blackballed her for being preggo. Glad all 3 teams kept interest. This is a small step forward in growth.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: