RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Collective Bargaining
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/02/19 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Unless salaries went up a lot, it would be hard to sign the best players (and even a lot of lesser players) for a winter schedule. Probably they would be able to sign players that never go overseas anyway (EDD, SDS, etc) or players too old for overseas play (Bird, Taurasi). Stars in their prime would follow the money overseas.

I have a hard time seeing exactly what the WNBA would get by "investing" more in player salaries. I suppose paying the players more would make them happier, but I don't see how it draws more fans, produces more revenue, or improves the quality of play. Even if somehow the play got better it probably wouldn't translate to more revenue and fans. The level of play is (as claimed) better than ever, but TV ratings languish, and overall attendance number are stagnant at best and declining at worst.

Great point ... presumably some foreign players might decide to play in the WNBA if the money was good enough, but it would seem to me that's not many players, and as you point out, would that really translate into significantly more ticket sales and significantly higher ratings?

PostPosted: 11/02/19 9:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:
Unless salaries went up a lot, it would be hard to sign the best players (and even a lot of lesser players) for a winter schedule. Probably they would be able to sign players that never go overseas anyway (EDD, SDS, etc) or players too old for overseas play (Bird, Taurasi). Stars in their prime would follow the money overseas.

I have a hard time seeing exactly what the WNBA would get by "investing" more in player salaries. I suppose paying the players more would make them happier, but I don't see how it draws more fans, produces more revenue, or improves the quality of play. Even if somehow the play got better it probably wouldn't translate to more revenue and fans. The level of play is (as claimed) better than ever, but TV ratings languish, and overall attendance number are stagnant at best and declining at worst.

Great point ... presumably some foreign players might decide to play in the WNBA if the money was good enough, but it would seem to me that's not many players, and as you point out, would that really translate into significantly more ticket sales and significantly higher ratings?

The ABL paid better salaries and played in the winter. They got almost no foreign players.

PostPosted: 11/02/19 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I’ve said before the last time this was brought up, I don’t think the league will be much more than it is now if it stays a summer league. Not enough take it seriously.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Randy

PostPosted: 11/02/19 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
ClayK wrote:
Randy wrote:

The ABL paid better salaries and played in the winter. They got almost no foreign players.

And they went out of business.

shontay33

PostPosted: 11/04/19 11:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
As I’ve said before the last time this was brought up, I don’t think the league will be much more than it is now if it stays a summer league. Not enough take it seriously.

Shades,

What makes you think that it would be taken seriously if the season were moved to another part of the year? What part of the year do you recommend? The fall would be the only other time that would be best travel wise. However, the WNBA would still have to compete for sponsorship dollars and tv time with the NFL and college football. ESPN devotes most of their programming to College football. CBS does the same.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: