RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Collective Bargaining
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 07/18/18 7:38 pm    ::: Collective Bargaining Reply Reply with quote

Is there any doubt the players are going to opt out of the CBA after this season?

https://twitter.com/MechelleV/status/1019678493121155076

Quote:
Elena Delle Donne: "I think a lot has to change in this upcoming CBA. We fell super-short in this last one."

PostPosted: 07/18/18 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is Delle Donne still pushing for 9 ft rims?

Opt out as in potentially go on strike? I have a feeling a strike wouldn’t be too successful.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 07/18/18 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 07/18/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Is Delle Donne still pushing for 9 ft rims?

Opt out as potentially go on strike? I have a feeling a strike wouldn’t be too successful.

Both the league and the players have the option to terminate the CBA after this season. If neither does, it will run through the 2021 season.

PostPosted: 07/18/18 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But you said you think the players will opt out. Potential strike then if they can’t agree on a new one?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/18/18 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
But you said you think the players will opt out. Potential strike then if they can’t agree on a new one?

Maybe. Could be a lockout also.

The players are certainly making noises like they're going to opt out.

PostPosted: 07/18/18 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aces combat challenges of commercial travel for WNBA games

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/basketball/aces-wnba/aces-combat-challenges-of-commercial-travel-for-wnba-games/

Quote:
The Aces and other WNBA teams fly commercially to and from road games and are often subjected to rigorous travel patterns as they navigate the course of the regular season.

This is the sort of story planted by agents and players when CBA negotiations are imminent

PostPosted: 07/18/18 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The players are certainly making noises like they're going to opt out.

I agree that the "general vibe" from players this season feels stronger than ever as if they are dissatisfied.
(No doubt partly also due to how prevalent social media now is)

PostPosted: 07/19/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to clarify for everybody, either side has the right to opt-out (and invariably at least one side wants out when that's the case). To exercise that right, they have to put it in writing by November 1st 2018. But the agreement still stays in place until October 31st 2019, so they have at least a year to talk about the new one.

So in practice, the opt-out will come after this season, but any lockout/strike is likely to come after the 2019 season.

PostPosted: 07/19/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A lockout would mean they would still run the league but with players not under the current contract?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/19/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Just to clarify for everybody, either side has the right to opt-out (and invariably at least one side wants out when that's the case). To exercise that right, they have to put it in writing by November 1st 2018. But the agreement still stays in place until October 31st 2019, so they have at least a year to talk about the new one.

So in practice, the opt-out will come after this season, but any lockout/strike is likely to come after the 2019 season.

Thanks for the information ... definitely changes my perception.

And note that San Francisco will probably have a team for the 2020 season, presumably replacing an existing franchise. Perhaps it will make it easier to travel to the West Coast (LA, SF, Seattle trip) but given arena availability, I'm guessing it means more cross country flights, not fewer.

And Joe Lacob isn't going to want to take on a first-year team if there's a good chance that some or all of the season will be impacted.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 11:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://mailchi.mp/c70b8839887b/the-ix-basketball-wednesday-with-howard-megdal-july-25-2018

Quote:
ELIZABETH WILLIAMS: I think a lockout is very possible.

Elizabeth Williams is the Dream's WNBPA player rep

PostPosted: 07/26/18 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://mailchi.mp/c70b8839887b/the-ix-basketball-wednesday-with-howard-megdal-july-25-2018

Quote:

Smh just stupid

PostPosted: 07/26/18 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Quote:

Smh just stupid

For the league to lock the players out? Yes, that would be stupid.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

E. Williams probably meant to say "strike"......but even a players strike would be very risky without having other options.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/26/18 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It rarely matters what they call it - strike and lockout basically mean the same thing. We can't get a deal done, so no league until we do.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not sure this is the way to go about it if the league isn’t going to lose a bunch of money. Open the books and let the levelheaded people hash it out.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/26/18 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Not sure this is the way to go about it if the league isn’t going to lose a bunch of money. Open the books and let the levelheaded people hash it out.

+1

PostPosted: 07/26/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think a lockout is a terrible idea. It would be nice if they could do something about the teams flying commercial. It probably would be easy for teams still affliated with NBA teams, but what about the independent teams like the Aces, Storm, Sun and Sky? Would they be able to foot the bill for a charter flight?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/26/18 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Dream's owner flies to games in a private jet. Would it really cost that much more to bring the players and coaches with her?

PostPosted: 07/26/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd bet that if given the choice, players would pick getting more salary over flying charter.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/26/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mmaniac wrote:
I think a lockout is a terrible idea. It would be nice if they could do something about the teams flying commercial. It probably would be easy for teams still affliated with NBA teams, but what about the independent teams like the Aces, Storm, Sun and Sky? Would they be able to foot the bill for a charter flight?

Somebody printed a quote recently about two charter flights costing more than the commercial travel for the entire season. It's just not going to be viable for the smaller teams, and if you made it optional it'd be too much of an advantage (both for players on the team, and as a free agency draw) for the teams that could afford it. I just can't see it.

pilight's threads in the past have suggested that scheduling could be improved, however, to help avoid back-to-backs and those especially horrible and rushed trips. I'm sure scheduling any sports league with limited arena availability is very complicated, but maybe more effort needs to be put into that. If you can't make each flight any better, at least make all the travel as bearable as it can be.

Hell, play a few games at neutral venues if you need to. You could use it to spread the league to areas without teams, and bring travel down for a few games.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
mmaniac wrote:

Somebody printed a quote recently about two charter flights costing more than the commercial travel for the entire season. It's just not going to be viable for the smaller teams, and if you made it optional it'd be too much of an advantage (both for players on the team, and as a free agency draw) for the teams that could afford it. I just can't see it.

pilight's threads in the past have suggested that scheduling could be improved, however, to help avoid back-to-backs and those especially horrible and rushed trips. I'm sure scheduling any sports league with limited arena availability is very complicated, but maybe more effort needs to be put into that. If you can't make each flight any better, at least make all the travel as bearable as it can be.

Hell, play a few games at neutral venues if you need to. You could use it to spread the league to areas without teams, and bring travel down for a few games.

They could, for example, take advantage of Mondays. I don't know why they play no games on Monday, but that could add a lot more game days throughout the season and relax the schedules a bit.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/26/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league started leaving Mondays clear in 2002. Prior to that Mondays were as likely as an weekday to have games.

I am 100% confident the league could eliminate back-to-backs if they wanted to.

PostPosted: 07/26/18 3:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't see the any extreme hardship involved in travelling commercial. I did so for many years for my job. Many people travel commercial all the time and with far more trips than WNBA players. Sure they are taller than most women, but lots of men who fly a lot are as tall as WNBA players. Certainly it is not fun but it would be a terrible PR problem if players went on strike because they wanted to fly charter. On top of that - some WNBA fans are probably riding a bus when they travel to another city and would love to fly commercial. If they want more money - fine people could understand that - everybody wants a raise. Going on strike to fly charter - would make the players look like a bunch of prima donnas.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/26/18 8:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The league started leaving Mondays clear in 2002. Prior to that Mondays were as likely as an weekday to have games.

I am 100% confident the league could eliminate back-to-backs if they wanted to.

The weeks that they have had no Saturday and/or Sunday games are bad too.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: