RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Cheryl Reeve's future
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:37 am    ::: Cheryl Reeve's future Reply Reply with quote

It's pretty clear that Minnesota's great run will end this year or next ... there's no hiding from age.

So at that point, what does Cheryl Reeve do? Does she hang in there for what might be a long rebuild? Does she look for another contender she can take over? Or maybe does she think about the big bucks in college?

It's hard to imagine her coaching a roster like Indiana's, but then again it's hard to see her schmoozing with 17-year-olds and their clueless parents.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A team with Maya will never reach the Indy-like depths. And she should have Syl and Mone for a couple more years at least. It looks like they will be getting a decently high draft pick next year, which won't be a superstar but could well be an immediate starter. Zandalasini looks useful at least. I don't think their situation is/will be nearly as dire as Indy. Different but not dire. The question remains of course if Cheryl will want to actually work with some younger players since so far her inclination is to stick with the old ladies.

- Amanda Gorman
toad455

PostPosted: 07/16/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Even if Whalen, Augustus & Brunson all retire, Reeve has some pieces to build around. Temi has slowly been looking good. Zandalasini could be a starter next year. They have Robinson & Jones. Bring in a FA, plus two draft picks.

PG: Robinson/Jones
SG: Zandalasini/draft pick
SF: Moore/Wright?/Shao Ting?
PF: Larkins/draft pick/Miyem
C: Fowles/Fagbenle

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/16/18 11:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
A team with Maya will never reach the Indy-like depths. And she should have Syl and Mone for a couple more years at least. It looks like they will be getting a decently high draft pick next year, which won't be a superstar but could well be an immediate starter. Zandalasini looks useful at least. I don't think their situation is/will be nearly as dire as Indy. Different but not dire. The question remains of course if Cheryl will want to actually work with some younger players since so far her inclination is to stick with the old ladies.

People thought it was time for Cappie to hang'em up . Her and Augustus came from the both draft class so will be interesting to see when Mone does call it quits. She's not quite the same player as well , but i expect her to come alive come playoff time. She always show's up .

PostPosted: 07/16/18 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

People thought it was time for Cappie to hang'em up . Her and Augustus came from the both draft class so will be interesting to see when Mone does call it quits. She's not quite the same player as well , but i expect her to come alive come playoff time. She always show's up .

Yes, I could see her being relevant for at least a couple more years especially if she is willing to take a reduced role. Sometimes that's hard for players to do, so we shall see.

- Amanda Gorman
PRballer

PostPosted: 07/16/18 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You raise an interesting question, Clay. What's next for Cheryl!?

Cheryl has carved out a unique role for herself both within the org and on a larger scale, within Minnesota sports culture. She is savvy, she knows what works and she is a voice for women in sports. Her wife is also associated professionally with the Lynx and they have a young child, so I can't see them aiming to leave anytime soon. They've built their lives there and have raised the profile of the WNBA in Minnesota. The Lynx have been good to her family and vice versa.

I can see her leading the Lynx into Phase 2 with the 3-4 (?) seasons Fowles has left in her as well as the rest of Maya Moore's career. Why leave when Moore is in her prime and what pasture is greener right now? If I'm her, I stay in for what is perhaps the best franchise in the league and work on the next championship run.

As an outside observer, my only questions would revolve around her long-term GM skills, but she's a smart lady and will adapt once she builds the core. Is Robinson her PG of the future? What will Seimone's role be in the short term future? Will Alexis Jones be able to play significant minutes on this team? Will Zandalasini develop into an elite player? Will Moore get the rest she clearly needs?

Of course, if the Lynx aren't successful and the winning altogether ends, then one of or both Moore or Cheryl are off to new things. Cheryl likes the pros, I don't see her going back to college.

Seimone thought....Monique Currie was also in that class (along with Sophia Young, oof). I can envision Augustus evolving into more of a role player that's capable of big scoring games, like Currie, but of course with her original team.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 07/16/18 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

I might see her playing another season but her minutes might drop to about 20. But yeah a team with Maya and Fowles should still be pretty good. Its about putting the right people around them

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/16/18 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Time for Cheryl to upgrade to the T-Wolves (though as a bigger WNBA fan than I am an NBA fan, I won't complain if she stays in the W indefinitely)

PostPosted: 07/16/18 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minnesota isn’t in for a total rebuild. They do have Maya and Fowles...two in their prime, top 10 players in this league.

They trade for a point guard (DUMB to give away Montgomery.) and sign another scorer. Their bench is good enough to compete.

The guard spot is most important though. Minnesota’s best two players don’t make plays, they finish plays. They don’t need someone incredible, just a smart capable point guard.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I really don't get all the Montgomery love. She's been meh for the Dream and her numbers are right in line with her career norms.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I really don't get all the Montgomery love. She's been meh for the Dream and her numbers are right in line with her career norms.

agree. She's never been more than 'ok as a backup' in the right situation.

- Amanda Gorman
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/16/18 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
pilight wrote:

agree. She's never been more than 'ok as a backup' in the right situation.

Agree with the both of you.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

There is just a shortage of PGs, even of her quality.

I mean Bird, a 37 year old, is Top 2 in Assists (leading the league until that last game).

And Taurasi, another 35+..and non PG, was top 5 until she got sick for a game.

You pretty much have Gray, Diggins, and Vandersloot. (Who minny is not getting.)

After that, there isn’t much difference between the next tier of PGs. Renee isn’t the best pick for Minny because she’s not a passer. But she’s about as good as you can get, and a vet..and Minny is gonna want to keep winning with Maya and Sylvia. Trying to replace Renee with Robinson was kind of silly.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Getting a lot of assists doesn't make one a great PG. Clarendon was 2nd in the league last season. She was available pretty cheaply.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Getting a lot of assists doesn't make one a great PG. Clarendon was 2nd in the league last season. She was available pretty cheaply.

No, it doesn’t. It’s an indication though.

My only point was, consider the potential quality of the PG’s when the old ladies are kicking them around in the PG stat. Wink

Again, Renee isn’t the best, but she’s good..and given the deficit of point guards, it’s going to be hard to come by one who is equally as good that a team will be willing to give up.

Not impossible, just a heck of a lot easier to hold onto the one you had..

PostPosted: 07/17/18 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Even if Whalen, Augustus & Brunson all retire, Reeve has some pieces to build around. Temi has slowly been looking good. Zandalasini could be a starter next year. They have Robinson & Jones. Bring in a FA, plus two draft picks.

PG: Robinson/Jones
SG: Zandalasini/draft pick
SF: Moore/Wright?/Shao Ting?
PF: Larkins/draft pick/Miyem
C: Fowles/Fagbenle

If Minny finishes middle of the pack I could see (after she reminds everyone she exists) B. Turner, Collier or Magbegor being picked by Minny.

And I'm sure they will be an UFA or two who will think going to Minny with Fowles and Moore could be a nice place to chase a ring. (But stay away from Charles NY will still exist and she will be cored, of course she would be a perfect fit).

tfan

PostPosted: 07/17/18 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

How many WNBA head coaches have ever voluntarily changed teams (not counting teams that folded or moved)?

justinabina

PostPosted: 07/17/18 7:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
How many WNBA head coaches have ever voluntarily changed teams (not counting teams that folded or moved)?

Wasn't Brian Agler's move from Seattle to Los Angeles voluntary?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/17/18 7:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
How many WNBA head coaches have ever voluntarily changed teams?

Brian Agler did when he left Seattle for Los Angeles

Bill Laimbeer did when he left New York for Las Vegas

PostPosted: 07/17/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree that Maya Moore is in her prime -- though this season has certainly not been her best -- but Sylvia Fowles is 32 (and turns 33 right after the season), and even though she's a post and doesn't need to hang on to athleticism as much as a perimeter player, her time as an elite player is really going to be pretty short.

Essentially, the Lynx have to rebuild around a superstar, which is of course a great place to start -- but WNBA history suggests that a single superstar on a team of average starters is not going to succeed at the level Cheryl Reeve is used to.

That said, that's an excellent point about her commitment to Minnesota, and lends weight to her staying. But if she's coaching a .500 team, it seems to me she's going to have to change her ways a little, because demanding excellence from average players will eventually wear down the average players. No one likes to be expected to do things they can't really do ...

PostPosted: 07/17/18 10:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The league is changing from the standpoint that it’s hard to win without guards who push tempo before opponents get set. You could get by grinding it out even as recently as two years ago. You can’t anymore. The league is too good, and the officiating benefits open-court aggressive play.

While Bird is not super fast, her decision-making and long passing along with very mobile teammates still drives a fast-paced game. LA becomes very stagnant when playing slow. Ditto Dallas and CT. Because of a combo of factors, be it age, the slowing of Whalen, etc., the Lynx play much slower than we’ve seen in recent years. Their core players are both at or over 30 and there’s no tempo-setter on the horizon.

You can see the difference an improving Boyd is making with NY. It’s a speed league now. Even in the posts. To be elite, you have to be able to run. There’s no other way.

PostPosted: 07/17/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justinabina wrote:
tfan wrote:

Wasn't Brian Agler's move from Seattle to Los Angeles voluntary?

Ostensibly, but I thought a Storm fan had suggested that his time was running out with management. But I see that Agler's last year in Seattle (a lottery year) was the current GMs first year. Maybe they didn’t click.

Last edited by tfan on 07/17/18 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
#Occasionalwnbafan

PostPosted: 07/17/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve‘s should make her way down to Dallas, I think she could really push the wings to that next level they should have reached this year.
tfan

PostPosted: 07/17/18 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve can be an assistant to Whalen. Stay in the area and not tarnish her WNBA Win/Loss record.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/17/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
Reeve‘s should make her way down to Dallas, I think she could really push the wings to that next level they should have reached this year.

There's no proof that Reeve is any better of a coach than Fred Williams (almost any coach could've led the Lynx to multiple titles, and a great coach would've won at least 5 titles by now, with more to come). Plus Reeve would likely spontaneously combust if she had to coach a team full of young players/players who have big personalities/are characters, instead of a team full of boring vets, like she prefers on the Lynx.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: