Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/15/18 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Banhams birthday today. She’s gonna put on a show tonight. Sun win by 12

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/15/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ay Mate wrote:
Banhams birthday today. She’s gonna put on a show tonight. Sun win by 12

The Lynx, as part of my theory of The Most Blatant Tank Job in WNBA History (which the Lynx could've disproved by beating the Aces, but since they lost to them, my theory is still on) will probably be leaving Banham wide open and not bother guarding her at all in an effort to ensure that the Sun win. The Lynx losing this game could drop them to 7th or 8th place, and the Lynx probably would rather have a Top 5 or 6 pick in the draft next year, even if that comes at the expense of winning a 5th title this year. Even if the Lynx win this game, all this proves is that the Lynx Most Blatant Tank Job in WNBA History might only for the #9 pick then, and the Lynx are only losing to teams that they don't believe they'll meet in the playoffs (Aces, Sky, Fever) in order to pile up the losses needed.

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 07/15/18 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 07/15/18 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx and Storm swapped first round picks in 2019. So tanking would only help the Storm.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/15/18 11:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Lynx and Storm swapped first round picks in 2019. So tanking would only help the Storm.

It's the right to swap picks, so the Lynx only have to swap with the Storm if the Storm's 1st round pick is higher than the Lynx's (which is unlikely to happen as of now).
My theory is that since Reeve completely underestimated the Storm, Dan Hughes being a better coach than Jenny Boucek, and maybe even Natasha Howard (since she obviously held her back last year by giving most of the backup minutes to Pierson, despite Howard having a great season off the bench in 2016), Reeve, thinking she was going to be able to swap the Lynx's own pick at #11 or #12, for the Seattle's pick that would fall in the #5-#9 range, instead realized to get the #5-#9 pick she wanted next year, needs the Lynx to lose games themselves to get it.
That's why the Lynx keep losing to teams like the Fever, Sky, Aces, and at the beginning of the year, lost to the shorthanded Sparks because they decided they'd rather let Chelsea Gray hit a game-winning shot at the buzzer, instead of using their foul to give when she had the ball with only a couple seconds left, etc.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/15/18 4:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why are people assuming with 10-12 games left none of the other 7 in The top 8 have a chance at #1 seed? There's only a 3 game differential from 1-8 . More than enough time for someone to go on a 3 or 4 game losing streak.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What the hell has happened to Mayas game? Spacejunkie looking real smart right now.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maya has at least 5 turnovers and thats being nice i dare not fact check. Another one of those all night bible study hangovers for her.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's raining threes for D-Rob!

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Haters will say she can’t shoot. Cool

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6 FG's made vs 7 Turnovers In that 3rd Qtr for Minnesota.... Shocked
Maya needs to wake the hell up. Hell the entire team minus whalen and maybe Wright have been playing lackluster. Maya's the most obvious. This team really misses brunson and her energy.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Morgan Mf Tuck 75-48 Connecticut 4th Qtr 7 to go. Getting real embarrassing lynx. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well damn Morgan went off on the Lynx

@LynxFan32
Sun didnt beat LA this bad Laughing

PUmatty

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
Luuuc wrote:

Haters will say she can’t shoot. Cool

And everyone else will say she couldn't shoot a weak ago.

I'm glad she seems to have finally put in the effort to become a more complete player.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is the first time the Lynx have lost ten games since 2015, and the first time they've lost their tenth game before Aug. 1 since 2010.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tank? Maybe the grand-mama's are finally taking their last competitive runs since Reeve has beat that horse to a pulp....!! All dynasty's come to an end eventually and some can be so abrupt, you see a major difference from one season to the next.

ucbart

PostPosted: 07/15/18 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Tank? Maybe the grand-mama's are finally taking their last competitive runs since Reeve has beat that horse to a pulp....!! All dynasty's come to an end eventually and some can be so abrupt, you see a major difference from one season to the next.

The decline in about 10 months is staggering. Just goes to show you what really taking care of your body from a nutrition standpoint can do for a player. DT is the same age as Whalen and Sue is two years older, yet they look FAAARRRRR better than Lindsay does at this stage of their careers.

With Whalen being a shell of her great self, it has really hindered Maya from being at her best. Whalen was the master maestro in her day and she made sure Maya got her the ball exactly where she needed it to be the best player in the world. Now, Whalen is just old and slow, and Maya's inability to handle the ball well and get to the FT line is really hurting her.

Minnesota really misses Renee Montgomery.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/15/18 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lynx would be better of tanking next season to try and land Ionescu(unless she declares for '19). Whalen, Brunson & Augustus could all announce their retirement this season and the 2019 Lynx season would be a restructuring season.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 07/16/18 9:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Augustus was -25 in 23 minutes ... an impressive showing.

Of course, the tanking theory -- though entertaining -- doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Cheryl Reeve in the locker room: "OK guys, we're losing today so we can hope to get a decent young player next year to replace one of you."

What makes more sense is that the Lynx, especially without Brunson, are about as good as their record shows. I think they are somewhat better than that record when they dial in, but I don't think they can do that as consistently as in the past.

I still wouldn't want to see them in the playoffs, but it's hard to envision them playing well enough to win a five-game series, or not stumbling before they got there.

PostPosted: 07/16/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Augustus was -25 in 23 minutes ... an impressive showing.

Single game +/- aren’t very useful. They can be used to deceive people who don’t realize they aren’t very useful.

ClayK wrote:
Of course, the tanking theory -- though entertaining -- doesn't stand up to scrutiny. Cheryl Reeve in the locker room: "OK guys, we're losing today so we can hope to get a decent young player next year to replace one of you."

I’m impressed, Clay. I thought you were the leader of the “Tanking is good business” club back when PHX was obviously doing it.

ClayK wrote:
What makes more sense is that the Lynx, especially without Brunson, are about as good as their record shows. I think they are somewhat better than that record when they dial in, but I don't think they can do that as consistently as in the past.

In the past, they could lean on a better bench. This year’s bench is bad in a compacted little-rest season. That about sums it up. I also think Maya is struggling to be a superhero this season, because she may be physically or mentally fatigued from winning two championships in an extended overseas campaign. She missed camp, plus no rest.

ClayK wrote:
I still wouldn't want to see them in the playoffs, but it's hard to envision them playing well enough to win a five-game series, or not stumbling before they got there.

It depends on the matchup. They own all the fellow veteran clubs, but struggle with the high energy youthful clubs that know the best way to defend the Lynx, that is to converge onto Maya or Fowles whenever they have the ball. It takes high energy to defend the Lynx in this way, but that’s what the young clubs have.... and Connecticut is the deepest and arguably the best (because of the talent Donovan left them) of the young clubs out there.

Connecticut is the first club to steal a season series away from the Lynx. The Lynx weren’t lucky enough to play them through their troubled skid.

Davis4632

PostPosted: 07/16/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Shades wrote:
It depends on the matchup. They own all the fellow veteran clubs, but struggle with the high energy youthful clubs that know the best way to defend the Lynx, that is to converge onto Maya or Fowles whenever they have the ball. It takes high energy to defend the Lynx in this way, but that’s what the young clubs have.... and Connecticut is the deepest and arguably the best (because of the talent Donovan left them) of the young clubs out there.

Connecticut is the first club to steal a season series away from the Lynx. The Lynx weren’t lucky enough to play them through their troubled skid.

Two of those youth clubs, Dallas and Seattle still has trouble matching up with Lynx. Is anybody confident that Seattle can win three games against Minnesota in a five games series even if the Storm has the home court advantage. I see you didn't give Miller any credit for Connecticut's success. Laughing

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/16/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davis4632 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

Shades wrote:

Two of those youth clubs, Dallas and Seattle still has trouble matching up with Lynx. Is anybody confident that Seattle can win three games against Minnesota in a five games series even if the Storm has the home court advantage. I see you didn't give Miller any credit for Connecticut's success. Laughing

Im not , which is why matchups would seem more important than seeding if it comes down to the last week . Id rather play LA , ATL , PHX , or CONN than Minny .

PostPosted: 07/16/18 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The jury’s out on SEA. They can still take the season series from MIN. People consider Minnesota old mostly because of Whalen and her not staying in top shape, but I guess SEA is considered young because the oldest player in the league keeps in good shape? I dunno.... I guess I have trouble labeling SEA as a young club until Bird retires.

May need pilight’s help on this, but I think I’ve heard that technically PHX is the oldest club, but we rarely hear about how old they are or how the end is near. They lost Dupree and Taylor, and they’re still ticking. No misguided souls are starting topics for PHX saying the end is obviously near for them; what will Brondello do?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/16/18 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe due to PHX not having so many old players expecting to retire at the same time . One retiring every other year is easy to recover for a franchise through drafts and free agency versus 4 .

PostPosted: 07/16/18 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Maybe due to PHX not having so many old players expecting to retire at the same time . One retiring every other year is easy to recover for a franchise through drafts and free agency versus 4 .

Probably because one of their oldest players or oldest is playing the best basketball in a couple of years and might be in the best shape in years..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: