Board Junkies Forums

Technical Fouls Leaders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 07/19/18 3:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Cambage accused referees of trying to “suppress” WNBA games by hitting players with technical fouls for showing emotion, including flexing after making a big play.
“We are women and we are passionate and we are playing hard,” said Cambage.
“Let us play our game and try not to soften it because it is making it boring and right now it makes me feel like they are trying to make it more ladylike.
“That’s not how we play. We play like fierce women. Stop trying to suppress our game.”

https://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/basketball/2018/07/19/cambage-rips-wnba-ladylike/

Location: South Carolina, United States, North America, Earth

PostPosted: 07/19/18 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cambage does make good points but going after michelle is a no go for me. she needs to sit down because michelle wasn't coming for her. she had a point. and she calls it like she sees it and has always been an advocate of letting players be players. think liz went after the wrong one on this one especially since mv was in her corner regarding that tech in seattle Rolling Eyes

Shades

PostPosted: 07/19/18 8:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s interesting that they would point out “flexing” specifically when Cambage hasn’t been T’d up for flexing that I know of.... I’m not sure how she got her first two techs. Seems like the refs are okay with emotion, just not disrespect toward another player or ref.

As far as back-to-back’s go, it’s a compacted season so more back-to-back’s are likely. Has Dallas had any especially brutal ones?

I would guess her pay scale for overseas has gone through the roof based on her play in the WNBA, so playing in the WNBA isn’t all bad, even though that article came across as a complaint list against the WNBA. Does she have a complaint list for the WNBL, because I’d imagine it’d be bigger.

The time to complain about the pay and lack of luxury accommodations is during CBA negotiations, not mid-season through the media. I wonder if Cambage could pick up additional fines for lashing out through the media?

I’m not sensing that new positive perspective that I talked about in a different thread. If anything, she thinks she’s now important enough to change things mid-season in the WNBA by complaining through the media.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 07/19/18 8:25 am; edited 3 times in total
PhoenixxLily
I Voted

PostPosted: 07/19/18 8:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
If anything, she thinks she’s now important enough to change things in the WNBA mid-season by complaining.

i can see your point. she's not that important yet tho. in fact it's kinda eye roll inducing simply because she hasn't been here! didn't want to play, didn't want to stay in shape, basically just felt it wasn't worth her time. until she was no longer able to get where she wanted in australia

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/19/18 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Voepel said nothing that warranted any kind of response from Cambage. It's the usual ludicrous nonsense from Liz, who continues to act like an overpriviledged and overindulged five-year old most of the time. Repeatedly screaming "Open your eyes!" while making goggles symbols with your fingers is going to get you a tech in basically any league anywhere, men or women. Carrying on doing it after the first tech is going to get you tossed.

Credit to Voepel for the measured, conciliatory response.

PostPosted: 07/19/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhoenixxLily wrote:
cambage does make good points but going after michelle is a no go for me. she needs to sit down because michelle wasn't coming for her. she had a point. and she calls it like she sees it and has always been an advocate of letting players be players. think liz went after the wrong one on this one especially since mv was in her corner regarding that tech in seattle Rolling Eyes

Michelle did make multiple tweets regarding liz before Liz chose to respond so id say she was somewhat coming for her but liz should not have taken the bait . Shut them up on the court not on twitter Embarassed

PostPosted: 07/19/18 11:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
Cambage accused referees of trying to “suppress” WNBA games by hitting players with technical fouls for showing emotion, including flexing after making a big play.

Is this the kind of "flexing" Cambage is talking about?

pilight

PostPosted: 07/19/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
As far as back-to-back’s go, it’s a compacted season so more back-to-back’s are likely. Has Dallas had any especially brutal ones?

The only b2b Dallas has had so far was a western swing, LA to Vegas. The Wings won the second game after losing the first. Cambage played over 30 minutes in both games.

PostPosted: 07/19/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:

The only b2b Dallas has had so far was a western swing, LA to Vegas. The Wings won the second game after losing the first. Cambage played over 30 minutes in both games.

Welp starting tonight we have B2B along with 3 games in 4 days so we should see after this weekend. Styx tonight , Sky tomorrow night in chicago then comeback for a sunday tilt home against Connecticut im scared our legs will be all gone by sunday against Connecticut .

PostPosted: 07/19/18 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhoenixxLily wrote:
Quote:
Mechelle Voepel
‏ @MechelleV

Middle ground is a fair place in "Liz Cambage vs. officials" issue. It does seem there's been overabundance of technicals recently. At same time, she's used some language she shouldn't. The last T vs. Storm seemed like was just for a look, but maybe officials had had it by then.

Quote:
Elizabeth Cambage
‏Verified account @ecambage
5h5 hours ago
Replying to @MechelleV

Girl @ me. What language? "Open your eyes"? I didnt swear. maybe get a clue about what yout talking about... just some friendly advice

Quote:
Mechelle Voepel
‏ @MechelleV
5h5 hours ago

I called that technical vs. Storm absurd. Was referring to language throughout games. Just wrote you were one of the best feel-good stories in the league. We're all happy you are back in the WNBA and thrilled to see your talent. I will refrain from any more "advice." Best wishes.

and there you have it

Seemed pretty neutral on Voepel’s part. Not surprised Liz reacted at her that way though.

PostPosted: 07/19/18 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle seems to be poking at liz

Mechelle Voepel

@MechelleV
Following Following @MechelleV
More
Quote:
Liz Cambage now talking about the difficulties of playing back-to-back games and "flying economy at the back of the plane." Says she thinks if you want something to be the best, you have to treat it like the best. Similar, of course, to a lot of what she's said previously.
2:47 PM - 18 Jul 2018

Quote:

Liz Cambage on the many technicals that have been called (not just on her) in the WNBA: "The past week has been wack." Have to say she speaks her mind. Also, I don't think she's the only one who feels that way about the recent number of technicals.

Quote:

Liz Cambage: "Shavonte (Zellous) got a technical last night for flexing her arms. I thought it was ridiculous."

Quote:
Basketball at all levels is a constant tug of war between players/coaches and officials. It always will be. Smile I understand Liz Cambage speaking her mind - that's just her - but she might want to dial it back *just* a bit. Friendly advice that she is free to ignore, of course. Smile

Quote:
Today's WNBA teleconference has @SkyDigg4, @ecambage, @De11eDonne and @KristiToliver. Cambage said people on Twitter/ Instagram thought she couldn't put up big numbers in US. Interesting how athletes often focus on doubters, rather than so many who do think they're really good.
2:44 PM - 18 Jul 2018

This last tweet was the tweet that started this entire thing . But to eaches own . Laughing

PostPosted: 07/19/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PhoenixxLily wrote:
Shades wrote:
If anything, she thinks she’s now important enough to change things in the WNBA mid-season by complaining.

i can see your point. she's not that important yet tho. in fact it's kinda eye roll inducing simply because she hasn't been here! didn't want to play, didn't want to stay in shape, basically just felt it wasn't worth her time. until she was no longer able to get where she wanted in australia

This is an interesting hot take. I'm fairly certain she was exactly where she wanted to be in the WNBL. I'm also fairly certain she was exactly where she wanted/wants to be when she made big bucks in China before her injury and rehab in Australia/WNBL.

I don't begrudge her or any other foreign player for not wanting to come to the WNBA, just as I don't begrudge WNBA players who don't want to play overseas in the WNBA off season. If what we want for American players is to eventually make enough money so they only have one season without having to go abroad (and how's the chorus usually go-- spending all that time so far from home, family, and friends), why would we hold foreign players to other standards?

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 07/19/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Mechelle Voepel

@MechelleV
More
Quote:
Liz Cambage now talking about the difficulties of playing back-to-back games and "flying economy at the back of the plane." Says she thinks if you want something to be the best, you have to treat it like the best. Similar, of course, to a lot of what she's said previously.

Quote:

Liz Cambage on the many technicals that have been called (not just on her) in the WNBA: "The past week has been wack." Have to say she speaks her mind. Also, I don't think she's the only one who feels that way about the recent number of technicals.

Quote:

Liz Cambage: "Shavonte (Zellous) got a technical last night for flexing her arms. I thought it was ridiculous."

Quote:
Basketball at all levels is a constant tug of war between players/coaches and officials. It always will be. Smile I understand Liz Cambage speaking her mind - that's just her - but she might want to dial it back *just* a bit. Friendly advice that she is free to ignore, of course. Smile

Quote:
Today's WNBA teleconference has @SkyDigg4, @ecambage, @De11eDonne and @KristiToliver. Cambage said people on Twitter/ Instagram thought she couldn't put up big numbers in US. Interesting how athletes often focus on doubters, rather than so many who do think they're really good.

This last tweet was the tweet that started this entire thing . But to eaches own . Laughing
WTF at dial it back even though I agree but isnt Michelle same person that said DT was just being DT after that dirty hit on Hamby maybe Liz is just being Liz Rolling Eyes

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 07/19/18 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Voepel said nothing that warranted any kind of response from Cambage. It's the usual ludicrous nonsense from Liz, who continues to act like an overpriviledged and overindulged five-year old most of the time. Repeatedly screaming "Open your eyes!" while making goggles symbols with your fingers is going to get you a tech in basically any league anywhere, men or women. Carrying on doing it after the first tech is going to get you tossed.

Credit to Voepel for the measured, conciliatory response.

100 percent agree.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/19/18 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Mechelle Voepel

@MechelleV
More
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

WTF at dial it back even though I agree but isnt Michelle same person that said DT was just being DT after that dirty hit on Hamby maybe Liz is just being Liz Rolling Eyes

Bingooooo Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: 07/19/18 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Offering neutral commentary and analysis is poking at a player, who comes back with such a disproportionate reaction, WNBA09?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/19/18 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Offering neutral commentary and analysis is poking at a player, who comes back with such a disproportionate reaction, WNBA09?

Hey im not approving liz's actions at all , just saying Michelle made at least 5 to 6 different tweets focused on Liz ....WHY ? Liz never said anything to warrant Voepels opinion about how she should behave . I like michelle V , she delivers great stories for this league. I just thought it was a bit weird for her to direct a tweet like that towards a player thats known for stooping to that level. Never seen her tweet at Diana for her knockout blows , or Social media queen cappie for her crazy behaviors. Just was weird thats all , Liz does need to shut up and not fall for the bait not just from Michelle but from the refs and opposing players as well .

PostPosted: 07/19/18 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

it is not! much more like an overly sensitive player. of course there could be many reasons for being overly sensitive and we could argue over them until the end of time but... Liz was overreacting. seriously.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/19/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's a fucking women's basketball journalist, who reported comments from multiple players on a conference call, then made perfectly reasonable and measured comments about women's basketball on twitter. That's a pretty standard thing to do. Dear god.

PostPosted: 07/19/18 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
She's a fucking women's basketball journalist, who reported comments from multiple players on a conference call, then made perfectly reasonable and measured comments about women's basketball on twitter. That's a pretty standard thing to do. Dear god.

Exactly.

X_____________________________________________

pilight

PostPosted: 07/19/18 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Perhaps we're starting to see why it's so easy to incite Cambage into technicals

PostPosted: 07/19/18 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Libra_Girl wrote:

WTF at dial it back even though I agree but isnt Michelle same person that said DT was just being DT after that dirty hit on Hamby maybe Liz is just being Liz Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Again, Voepel is a wbb journalist. They all have their opinions on different players. She’s allowed to not mind DTs sauciness, and not be so smitten with Liz’s.

For what it’s worth. I highly enjoy players like Liz (obviously...given I’m a fan of patient zero when it comes to ref conflict Laughing ) and I agree with her completely. No, what she says wouldn’t be given a tech in the NBA. I feel it’s gendered, but it also just maybe WNBA ref temperament. (You might tolerate more the more you are paid).

But her sensitivity to any negative comment is not as appealing. If you wanna dish it, you gotta take it.

PostPosted: 07/20/18 9:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It could also be that since Liz hasn't played in the WNBA for some time she is not used to the standard set for technicals in this league. Perhaps where she has been playing they cut you much more slack.

Ay Mate

PostPosted: 07/20/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liz is the most exciting player in the league. She should also be the face of this league at this point.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/20/18 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
It could also be that since Liz hasn't played in the WNBA for some time she is not used to the standard set for technicals in this league. Perhaps where she has been playing they cut you much more slack.

I think they might actually be tougher in the WNBL, giving suspensions on a case by case basis. Here she got a two game suspension for a dirty play.

http://www.espn.com/nbl/story/_/id/21499497/liz-cambage-suspended-deliberately-kneeing-opponent

A week later she gets ejected with two techs.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/wnbl-boomers-liz-cambage-ejected-again-as-flames-lynx-catch-fire-20171126-gzt7ha.html

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: