RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Technical Fouls Leaders
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 07/13/18 12:39 pm    ::: Technical Fouls Leaders Reply Reply with quote

Cambage
Taurasi
Zellous

Boyd

Davis
Diggins-Smith
McCoughtry

Breland
Griner
Hayes
RMontgomery
NOgwumike
Pondexter
Whalen
Wheeler

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
herna220

PostPosted: 07/13/18 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Do they track coach techs?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/13/18 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm guessing Boyd, Zellous and Davis have the most techs per minute ...

PostPosted: 07/13/18 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herna220 wrote:

Oh yes. With the same suspension limits. Technically, the WNBA's leader isn't on the above list...

PostPosted: 07/13/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I'm guessing Boyd, Zellous and Davis have the most techs per minute ...

Boyd had 1 before she’d even played a minute this season. 😂

PostPosted: 07/13/18 11:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
herna220 wrote:

Oh yes. With the same suspension limits. Technically, the WNBA's leader isn't on the above list...

Lol wut? Diana’s name is there. #noonetakeshertitle

Honestly didn’t realize she had that many again this year. Laughing

PostPosted: 07/13/18 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
herna220 wrote:

Lol wut? Diana’s name is there. #noonetakeshertitle

Honestly didn’t realize she had that many again this year. Laughing

Did she add any in tonight’s game?

StevenHW

PostPosted: 07/14/18 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herna220 wrote:

IIRC, Lynx coach Cheryl Reeve got a double technical last week (July 5) against the Sparks.

PostPosted: 07/14/18 9:11 am    ::: Re: Technical Fouls Leaders Reply Reply with quote

Cambage
Taurasi
Zellous

Boyd

Davis
Diggins-Smith
McCoughtry

Augustus
Breland
Griner
Hayes
RMontgomery
NOgwumike
Pondexter
Whalen
Wheeler

Augustus joins the party of 2’s for yelling “AND 1” into Jefferson’s face.

toad455

PostPosted: 07/14/18 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So Cambage is now 1 tech away from being forced to sit out a game.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 07/14/18 10:14 pm    ::: Re: Technical Fouls Leaders Reply Reply with quote

Cambage

Taurasi
Zellous

Boyd

Davis
Diggins-Smith
McCoughtry

Breland
Griner
Hayes
RMontgomery
NOgwumike
Pondexter
Whalen
Wheeler

calbearman76

PostPosted: 07/14/18 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:

I don't know if the WNBA has a rule for reevaluating a technical after the fact (I believe the NBA does, at least in the playoffs) but today's technical was a travesty. The idea that she may have to sit down for a game if she gets another technical because of a BS call like that truly undermines the game. Not even the Seattle announcers (who are, granted, probably the fairest in the WNBA) saw any reason for a T, and to call it in a 1 point game in the final two minutes is shameful.

Perhaps the WNBA should institute a rule where refs have to sit out a game after they call an unwarranted technical.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/14/18 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I don't know if the WNBA has a rule for reevaluating a technical after the fact (I believe the NBA does, at least in the playoffs) but today's technical was a travesty. The idea that she may have to sit down for a game if she gets another technical because of a BS call like that truly undermines the game. Not even the Seattle announcers (who are, granted, probably the fairest in the WNBA) saw any reason for a T, and to call it in a 1 point game in the final two minutes is shameful.

Perhaps the WNBA should institute a rule where refs have to sit out a game after they call an unwarranted technical.

The W can definitely rescind technicals. They used to do it all the time for Diana when Donna O was in charge.

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wondering if there’s a new tech Queen in town. I’ve got a feeling DT won’t lose this battle without a fight though.

But it’s likely that Liz has already earned Dee’s quick T reputation.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 12:11 am    ::: WNBA refs/calls Reply Reply with quote

I've been complaining about the refs for the last 5 years. But tonight's Wings/Storm game highlighted a lot of what is wrong with the refs.

Calls are not consistent. The refs seem petty and out to stamp their authority on the game. They are way too quick to call a technical.

Other than online complaints and unanswered emails to the W-what else can be done?

so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 07/15/18 12:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

Or she could just shut up and not get in this kind of trouble. If she gets another one and has to sit out a game, it won't be a travesty that's the result of one BS call. It'll be because she can't control herself.

sigur3

PostPosted: 07/15/18 12:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
toad455 wrote:

The W can definitely rescind technicals. They used to do it all the time for Diana when Donna O was in charge.

They still rescind technicals.

Libra_Girl

PostPosted: 07/15/18 12:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

herna220 wrote:
If they do Brian Alger is probably top 5 Laughing Proud of the Sparks players for keeping their cool & not leading the league in techs lol. The only reason CP stopped getting t is because the kids at their daughter's school kept asking her about getting techs Laughing

Richyyy

PostPosted: 07/15/18 3:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
They still rescind technicals.

The last list I saw showed one rescinded all season long this year, though, and that was on a coach. The vast majority of the time they're going to back the ref's call.

And y'know what, last night's on Cambage probably shouldn't have been called, but she stares directly at them and screams for the call after every single damn play. Refs get sick of it. Sometimes the call comes from the build-up, rather than one singular incident.

I said at the start of the season that she might threaten Taurasi for the league lead in techs, and was amazed she only had two in total a couple of weeks ago. Those last four have come on fast. She was already asking on Twitter for someone to pay the fines for her Smile.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 5:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

And y'know what, last night's on Cambage probably shouldn't have been called, but she stares directly at them and screams for the call after every single damn play. Refs get sick of it. Sometimes the call comes from the build-up, rather than one singular incident.

Sorry, but briefly looking at a ref with 1:23 to go in a one point game is not sufficient reason for a technical. Cambage was already moving up court before the technical was called. If the refs can't control themselves then they shouldn't be refs. That was totally bush league officiating. We want players to show emotion, and we want players to decide games. We want officials to arbitrate the action.

tfan

PostPosted: 07/15/18 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are the stats for technical fouls kept anywhere or do you have to look at all the box scores?

ClayK

PostPosted: 07/15/18 8:31 am    ::: Re: WNBA refs/calls Reply Reply with quote

YlwJckt999 wrote:
I've been complaining about the refs for the last 5 years. But tonight's Wings/Storm game highlighted a lot of what is wrong with the refs.

Calls are not consistent. The refs seem petty and out to stamp their authority on the game. They are way too quick to call a technical.

Other than online complaints and unanswered emails to the W-what else can be done?

And there you have it ... the WNBA officials are better than college officials (not the ones you see in the big conferences, necessarily, but check out your local D2 game), and in a different universe than high school refs.

They may suck but as long as the focus is on promoting women from a much, much smaller pool of potential officials, these problems will be worse on the women's side. Even if you took all the available officials at all levels and put them in the same group and assigned them to male and female games based solely on ability, officiating would still be shaky, however.

Basketball fans are notoriously uninformed, coaches are little better and at the youth level, all are obnoxious and idiotic in ways not seen at volleyball games, baseball games, softball games, etc. (Sure, there are complaints but the level of vitriol is much different.) If I can make as much money standing next to a volleyball net and have three people complain to me, relatively politely, then why I would do a basketball game and subject myself to unjustified abuse?

To get better WNBA officials, first, deepen the talent pool by not focusing on female officials so much, and second, start at the grassroots and get more people involved at the start.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 8:48 am    ::: Re: WNBA refs/calls Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:

They may suck but as long as the focus is on promoting women from a much, much smaller pool of potential officials, these problems will be worse on the women's side.
To get better WNBA officials, first, deepen the talent pool by not focusing on female officials so much, and second, start at the grassroots and get more people involved at the start.

Are they actually doing that?

I don’t think the problem with Michael Price and Roy Gulbeyan is that they’re women...

pilight

PostPosted: 07/15/18 9:02 am    ::: Re: WNBA refs/calls Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
If I can make as much money standing next to a volleyball net and have three people complain to me, relatively politely, then why I would do a basketball game and subject myself to unjustified abuse?

Not to mention all the running. Basketball refs run the court with the players the whole game with no subs. That doesn't really happen in most other sports.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 9:12 am    ::: Re: WNBA refs/calls Reply Reply with quote

miller40 wrote:
ClayK wrote:
YlwJckt999 wrote:

They may suck but as long as the focus is on promoting women from a much, much smaller pool of potential officials, these problems will be worse on the women's side.

Are they actually doing that?

I don’t think the problem with Michael Price and Roy Gulbeyan is that they’re women...

It's an interesting issue, really, as the line between political correctness and opening doors is a very small one.

The biggest part of this issue: There are many, many fewer female officials than male officials. For whatever reason (another interesting topic), many, many more men are attracted to officiating than women.

I will be generous and say that there are 10 female officials in the local association for every 100 male officials. The best female officials are just as good as the males -- it's just that there are way, way fewer of them.

Percentiles: If I have a pool of 10 officials and take the top three, I'm at the 70th percentile of ability. If I have a pool of 100 officials and take the top three, I'm at the 97th percentile. (I may have this slightly wrong but the point is the same.)

So let's take the top female and top male: Both really good, but by the time I get to the 15th, the difference is stark.

Still, watch college women's games, and you see female officials. Those women have been pulled up from a much smaller pool of talent, and pulled up much more quickly than their male counterparts. So even though there are very good female officials, there are fewer of them and they are less experienced because they are promoted rapidly because the women's game wants to encourage female officials.

If the pool of male and female officials were exactly even, then it would make sense to have 50% male and 50% female officials doing games. But that is not the case, and not even close.

That's why the WNBA officiating and women's college officiating is worse than the men's side. If men and women are equally good at officiating, and there ten times more men officiating than women, then by ability, 90% of officials should be men. It's not about talent, it's about numbers.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: