50%
 50%  [ 15 ]
Lynx
50%
 50%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 30

myrtle

PostPosted: 07/13/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Minny's close to zero in the depth dept and it shows.

- Amanda Gorman
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/13/18 10:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Where's spacejunkie when you need him?

"Fagbenle is better than Maya. Trade Maya for a 3rd round pick."

No, because if Maya were on another team, she'd be a front-runner for MVP instead of having the worst season of her career and being ranked 20th in the WNBA in player efficiency rating (before tonight's game where she sucked again). I have no idea why SLAM Magazine would have someone who isn't even a currently Top-15 player in the WNBA this season on their cover?
So either Reeve is a terrible coach who holds her players back, and/or my theory that the Lynx are tanking is back on. The Lynx won at Indiana to try and throw me off, but Reeve, being nervous about the Lynx only being 1 game in the loss column out of 2nd place (and 2nd place would give them the 11th pick), had to lose this game to keep the Lynx's hope of getting a top 8 or 9 pick alive.
I have a hard time believing that Tamera Young & Carolyn Swords are both supposed to be THAT much better than Maya & Fowles, if at all, just like how Maya & Fowles were both dominated by Victoria Vivians & Natalie Achonwa when they played the Fever at home. The Lynx play the Sun next, so it'll be interesting to see if the Lynx magically decide to win since they are playing a (when at full-strength) top-team, and the Lynx only have been "intentionally" losing to bottom-half teams lately, or if Reeve is greedy for the #5 pick the draft, and is willing to risk having to play two knockout-round games on the road for it.

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 07/13/18 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/13/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:
Local media too focused on Plum and her "old" comments... smh.
Laughing Welp.

Lynx not exactly making her eat her words tonight.
Looks like a big win for the Aces coming up here.

Except players who aren't old on the Lynx are sucking just as much, if not more.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/13/18 11:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Lynx can't bring it consistently. Beat the top teams and struggle with the bottom teams.

That’s probably a good thing because the bottom teams won’t be in the playoffs. Booyah!

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/13/18 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Lynx can't bring it consistently. Beat the top teams and struggle with the bottom teams.

That’s probably a good thing because the bottom teams won’t be in the playoffs. Booyah!

That's why my tanking theory is perfect. Lynx are only losing to the bottom teams, because they don't want to give the playoff teams confidence they can beat the Lynx. Very Happy But if they lose to the Sun on Sunday, then that probably means they are going full-out tank. Smile

Either that, or Kizer was the MVP of the Lynx, because the Lynx lost at home to the Fever after cutting her the first time, and now they lost to the Aces at home after cutting her again.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 07/13/18 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

May be the best game I've seen Swords play.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/13/18 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
Ace is the place with the help from Tamera Young.

Im Deceased Embarassed Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 07/14/18 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bill Laimbeer is an excellent coach -- compare the Libs this year to last, and the Aces/Stars this year to last.

Carolyn Swords has her best game ever ...

The Lynx waste a good night from Whalen ...

Overall, the WNBA is a pretty balanced league this year. If the better teams don't bring it, they can lose to almost anyone. Come playoff time, though, I expect a reversion to form.

PostPosted: 07/14/18 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Bill Laimbeer is an excellent coach -- compare the Libs this year to last, and the Aces/Stars this year to last.

Carolyn Swords has her best game ever ...

The Lynx waste a good night from Whalen ...

Overall, the WNBA is a pretty balanced league this year. If the better teams don't bring it, they can lose to almost anyone. Come playoff time, though, I expect a reversion to form.

I expect that as well , but not so sure these legacy teams will have the legs to get it done. I do not expect a LA vs Minnesota Finals Part 3 .

PostPosted: 07/14/18 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swords definitely looked her best since her days in New York. Her D on Fowles was amazing.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 07/14/18 9:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It happens almost every game for Laimbeer. He starts one center but ends up giving the bulk of center minutes to a player on the bench. Don’t be surprised if he not only doesn’t start Swords next game, but gives her no minutes. Unpredictable Bill.... FanDuelers love him.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 07/14/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great game for the Aces!

tfan

PostPosted: 07/14/18 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
compare the Liberty and Aces/Stars this year to last.

Seems like teams always change when comparing two different coaches. The Liberty are as little changed as you see, but everyone seems to be pointing to Smith as a bad (maybe from inexperience) coach. Las Vegas has seen 2/5ths of their starting line-up change. They have added a player who is playing at an all-star level in Wilson. They also added Tamera Young in place of Alex Montgomery (now in Chicago) at starting small forward.

Last edited by tfan on 07/15/18 1:37 am; edited 3 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GAME RECAP: Aces 85, Lynx 77

Quote:
KEY STATS

Carolyn Swords recorded the first double-double in her career with 11 points and 11 rebounds.

Minnesota limited A’ja Wilson to 11 points on 4 of 16 shooting from the field

The Ace committed 12 turnovers which the Lynx turned into 16 points. Meanwhile, Minnesota committed 9 turnovers which Las Vegas turned into 2 points.

The Aces bench went 9 for 10 from the field for 24 points, while Minnesota’s bench made 6 of 22 shots for 12 points

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
GAME RECAP: Aces 85, Lynx 77

Quote:
KEY STATS

Carolyn Swords recorded the first double-double in her career with 11 points and 11 rebounds.

Minnesota limited A’ja Wilson to 11 points on 4 of 16 shooting from the field

The Ace committed 12 turnovers which the Lynx turned into 16 points. Meanwhile, Minnesota committed 9 turnovers which Las Vegas turned into 2 points.

The Aces bench went 9 for 10 from the field for 24 points, while Minnesota’s bench made 6 of 22 shots for 12 points

1st of Her Career ! Congrats Shocked Shocked

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would have been nice having Howard backing up Brunson instead of Fagbenle/Miyem. Offensively, Fagbenle wasn’t too bad, but defensively Fagbenle & Miyem were non-existent. Reeve can’t be too happy. Swords first career double-double from off the bench?

lynxmania

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Surprised no one mentioned Kelsey Bone throwing up on the court. Fun times. Laughing

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Would have been nice having Howard backing up Brunson instead of Fagbenle/Miyem. Offensively, Fagbenle wasn’t too bad, but defensively Fagbenle & Miyem were non-existent. Reeve can’t be too happy. Swords first career double-double from off the bench?

The Lynx couldn't afford Howard because Reeve's number one priority in the off-season was to sign Tanisha Wright, so every move Reeve made had to come after that, so she couldn't afford both Howard and D-Rob after accounting for Wright. But since Reeve probably assumed that the Storm would be a middle-of-the-pack team because they'd struggle adjusting to having a new head coach instead of the genius NBA-caliber coach of Jenny Boucek, she was thrilled to get a pick swap meaning she'd be guaranteed to get a high draft pick next year. Smile Also, Reeve was able to sign the elite-level backup PF/C, Lynetta Kizer, to make up for Howard, since Brunson is still playing at a high level as a starter.
So now that Howard is one of the top superstar players in the WNBA (and this year statistically way better than Maya Moore) because she is no longer being held back by Reeve/having Plenette Pierson getting most of the backup minutes over her (Howard was great in 2016 when she got more minutes, remember Game 3 against the Mercury in the playoffs, or the Select Team vs. Team USA game? which is why I hate the idea that Howard is MIP, when she actually is in a better situation, except Cheyenne Parker's team sucks, Dearica Hamby is barely getting any minutes, and I hate giving MIP to 2nd year players who sucked as Rookies, like Plum), and it turns out Dan Hughes is a better coach than Boucek, meaning the Storm have the best record in the WNBA, Reeve probably needs the Lynx to tank in hopes she can somehow get a young PF in the draft next year who might be almost as good as Howard.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There’s a difference between couldn’t afford and not wanting to pay. Even if Tanisha Wright was the top priority (even though she was signed dead last) that is proving to be a big miscalculation which is making it tough on the Lynx and putting too huge a load on Maya and Fowles.

Enough with your tanking theories already. I know you think it’s funny, but it’s so beyond ridiculous.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 07/14/18 11:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

lynxmania wrote:
Surprised no one mentioned Kelsey Bone throwing up on the court. Fun times. Laughing

Omg one of the sickest things ive seen .

PostPosted: 07/14/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
There’s a difference between couldn’t afford and not wanting to pay. Even if Tanisha Wright was the top priority (even though she was signed dead last) that is proving to be a big miscalculation which is making it tough on the Lynx and putting too huge a load on Maya and Fowles.

Enough with your tanking theories already. I know you think it’s funny, but it’s so beyond ridiculous.

It seems weird to me that the Lynx always lose games to below .500 teams when they have a chance to move up in the standings and/or after the Sparks lose, so either the Lynx are bunch of bums who don't give it every game, or they are obviously tanking. Plus when the Lynx were 3-6, and Howard proved she is one of the top players in the WNBA by actually getting minutes on a team (Seattle), all the other Lynx fans here thought I was crazy for saying the Lynx were idiots for trading Howard and hating the Lynx for losing games. So right after getting the one-month ban I asked for, I finally came to the conclusion that all the other Lynx fans must be in on a conspiracy that I'm not a part of because people don't think I'm important enough to be in on the loop, because it seems odd that fans of a team would be happy/content about their team being 3-6 instead of mad/frustrated.
It's no different that the theory that the Mercury were tanking in 2012, but instead of Maya & Fowles missing games due to injuries, or needing rest because the World Championship coming up, they are just missing all of their shots or playing at career-worst levels instead to help the Lynx lose games.

Actually Wright committed to signing to the Lynx first, but wasn't able to sign right away (I don't know how signing works) because she was busy with her assistant coaching job. All the articles said the Lynx did everything possible to try to persuade Wright to sign here when she decided she wanted to come back to the WNBA, and when her signing finally announced, it was celebrated almost to the same extent as signing LeBron James in the NBA. I'm pretty sure Reeve traded Howard because she had to save cap space for Wright when she'd officially sign, plus a potential D-Rob (or another vet point guard) trade, that she was probably spending the next few weeks trying haggle on the asking price, until it was finally submitted. And to make up for Howard, Reeve figured signing Kizer & Miyem from the bargin-bin would do. Reeve won a title last year when not letting Howard have a chance to shine (like she did in 2016) by instead of giving her more minutes, giving Plenette Pierson (who I wasn't opposed to the Lynx signing) most of the backup PF/C minutes, so Reeve probably felt she can win without Howard having a major (if any role) this year too.

Shades

PostPosted: 07/14/18 1:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Saying Tanisha Wright was Reeve’s top target from Day 1 (which I don’t really buy and you don’t bother supplying documentation), just makes Reeve look even worse because Wright at the time would be the only vet backup guard needed since she can back up both guard spots, leaving more than enough money to pay Howard.

Even if you believe your interpretation of all these supposed articles and it played out exactly like you say, are you now being sympathetic towards Reeve and saying she built the best possible roster she could? If you’re not saying that, then what’s your point? If you believe she built the best possible roster (which is probably the most feasible angle given your silence at the time the moves were being made) then just be quiet and enjoy the team and the results, come what may.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 07/14/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Saying Tanisha Wright was Reeve’s top target from Day 1 (which I don’t really buy and you don’t bother supplying documentation), just makes Reeve look even wors/e because Wright at the time would be the only vet backup guard needed since she can back up both guard spots, leaving more than enough money to pay Howard.

Even if you believe your interpretation of all these supposed articles and it played out exactly like you say, are you now being sympathetic towards Reeve and saying she built the best possible roster she could? If you’re not saying that, then what’s your point? If you believe she built the best possible roster (which is probably the most feasible angle given your silence at the time the moves were being made) then just be quiet and enjoy the team and the results, come what may.

I am fine (not 100% happy, not upset) with the roster. What upsets me the most is why Maya Moore is being promoted as such a great player/winner coming into and during this season, but instead of being an MVP helping the Lynx every game (like she'd be on any other team in the WNBA), it seems as if her role on the Lynx this year is to miss as many shots as possible so the Lynx lose games, sort of like Mark Madsen's role on the Timberwolves back in the day.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 07/14/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
lynxmania wrote:

Omg one of the sickest things ive seen .

Everything is possible on Any Given Friday.

PostPosted: 07/15/18 12:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Young has been playing well.Kayla deserves to be a allstar. Coach Bill really has Vegas playing good.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: