RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Seattle sports’ newest power couple.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 06/22/18 5:52 pm    ::: Seattle sports’ newest power couple. Reply Reply with quote

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/seattle-meet-your-sports-power-couple-sue-bird-and-megan-rapinoe/?utm_content=bufferba132&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=owned_buffer_tw_m

Quote:
“Visibility is king — or queen,” Rapinoe says. “Until we don’t have any more discrimination of any kind around the country or in the world, it’s kind of important, I think, for people in certain positions (to be publicly out), whether that be a boss, an athlete or a politician.

so-many-pickles

PostPosted: 06/22/18 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love that this is the most-read story of the day in ST sports. And hardly any of the comments suck.

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 06/23/18 10:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
I love that this is the most-read story of the day in ST sports. And hardly any of the comments suck.

Delightful couple, delightful article. Exclamation

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 06/23/18 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a well-written article. Good author.

Personally, the subject matter is of almost zero interest to me, as I don't care what athlete is dating whom, although I realize other people's interests are different. Is the fact that homosexuals date each other and live together "news"? I think we've known that at least since the writings of classical Greece and Rome.

I've also never known what a "power couple" is.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/23/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Personally, the subject matter is of almost zero interest to me, as I don't care what athlete is dating whom, although I realize other people's interests are different. Is the fact that homosexuals date each other and live together "news"? I think we've known that at least since the writings of classical Greece and Rome.

Well, Glenn, I live in Manhattan. Even in the most allegedly LGBT-friendly neighborhoods of Manhattan, there are homophobic and transphobic hate crimes, including murders. So, in my view, any positive article about a lesbian couple--whether they're famous or not--is a welcome way of challenging all the bigotry still evident in Manhattan and the rest of the U.S.

I've long admired both Sue Bird and Megan Rapinoe. Thanks, stever, for posting this terrific piece. Great work by reporter Stephanie Loh.

PostPosted: 06/23/18 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Straight celebrities who date each other and live together make the news far more often than gay ones. News about celebrities' personal lives is a massive industry. Why would you call out the "gayness" of this article as being what's not newsworthy about it?

PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/23/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Straight celebrities who date each other and live together make the news far more often than gay ones. News about celebrities' personal lives is a massive industry. Why would you call out the "gayness" of this article as being what's not newsworthy about it?

Surely you know the answer to that question, right?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/23/18 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Surely you know the answer to that question, right?

Rather bitter irony that we actually have to have this discussion in the midst of Pride Month. On a message board about the professional sports league with by far the most players who are openly LGBTQIA.

PostPosted: 06/23/18 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so-many-pickles wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Would this article have been written if Bird were dating and moving in with a male soccer player? I doubt it. In any event, neither relationship would be of interest to me because, as I said, I have virtually no interest in what athlete is dating whom. I concede others do. If there are more articles about heterosexual celebrity relationships than homosexual ones, I think there's an obvious statistical cause for that.

If someone wants to believe that a puff article like this will somehow reduce "homophobic and transphobic hate crimes, including murders", be my guest.
Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/23/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
so-many-pickles wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Would this article have been written if Bird were dating and moving in with a male soccer player? I doubt it. In any event, neither relationship would be of interest to me because, as I said, I have virtually no interest in what athlete is dating whom. I concede others do. If there are more articles about heterosexual celebrity relationships than homosexual ones, I think there's an obvious statistical cause for that.

If someone wants to believe that a puff article like this will somehow reduce "homophobic and transphobic hate crimes, including murders", be my guest.

Have to wonder why it's so important to you to post and tell us that this article isn't of interest to you.

If the article simply could reduce homophobic comments right here, I'd be happy.

PostPosted: 06/23/18 7:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
so-many-pickles wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

If Sue Bird was dating A famous male athlete, then yes..it would be all over the news. Rory and Sharapova were talked about far more often than This couple. (As tends to happen with straight celebrities)

PostPosted: 06/23/18 7:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read this story shortly after reading the one about Bird and Rap. There is a value in sharing life experiences. You never know who could be listening g.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/hawkeyes/alex-johnson-formerly-virginia-johnson-of-city-high-has-died-20180623

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/23/18 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
If Sue Bird was dating A famous male athlete, then yes..it would be all over the news. Rory and Sharapova were talked about far more often than This couple. (As tends to happen with straight celebrities)

Exactly.
And in my case I know nothing about Rapinoe and am not especially interested in knowing more about her, but I'm mildly a Sue Bird fan, and even just from that point of view I enjoyed the article because it presented some aspects of her personality that we have seen very little of over her lengthy career.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Personally, the subject matter is of almost zero interest to me

And yet you apparently read it.
So that's a win in my books.

PostPosted: 06/24/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Glenn, sometimes it's quite alright if you just don't respond to a thread.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 06/24/18 12:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

~rAf
PUmatty

PostPosted: 06/24/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
ucbart wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Glenn chooses to not respond to many, many threads. Yet, for some reason, he chose to respond to this one.

I'm sure I can't imagine why pointing out how little he cares about "homosexuals" was so important to him ...

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/24/18 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Glenn chooses to not respond to many, many threads. Yet, for some reason, he chose to respond to this one.

I'm sure I can't imagine why pointing out how little he cares about "homosexuals" was so important to him ...

Well said. And you're not alone. I'm sure I can't imagine either. Smile

PostPosted: 06/24/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a gay man living in Denver, it's incredibly discomforting when you walk in Washington Park holding your boyfriends hand and have people give you stares, mutter jesus christ under their breath, or just out right yell slurs at you. Or when you walk down Colfax and someone threatens you for the simple act of holding a man's hand. Or you hear about the stories where a gay couple gets stabbed for the very actions that I did in the same area. I guarantee that if I was heterosexual, none of that would have happened.

Being gay means that when you hear about a shooting right outside of a gay club in Denver, you assume the worst. Right before Denver Pride, there was a shooting right outside of X-Bar -- one of Denver's few LGBTQ establishments. (It was actually next door at the 7/11, but that close to Pride -- it put us all on edge.) My friends heard bullets, and one actually hit a tree right over my friend's head. It's happened before, and it will happen again. Pulse Orlando. Backstreet Bar. Upstairs Lounge. Stonewall.

As a former Youth Minister, being gay means being completely outed by your pastor without your permission, knowledge, or preparedness. I was removed from my position as a Youth Minister and kicked out of a church for my sexuality without a thought for the relationships and community that I had built. Being gay means suffering at the hands of the church that proclaims they welcome all but only if you fit into their image of Christ's kingdom.

Growing up in rural New Jersey, being gay meant that I didn't have any role models. I didn't have any relationships to watch, learn from, and inwardly digest. This is why relationships such as this are important to promote. As someone who's suffered for so long at the hands of others for my sexuality, I appreciate the willingness of those to step into the limelight despite the immense risk that they put themselves at by doing so.

Seattle can rally around them, the nation can support them -- but no one can protect them from the realities and the battles that come with being gay in America. Perhaps this is unnecessary, but until you experience the realities of being gay, and the inhumanity, I don't think you can fully understand why this is important.

miller40

PostPosted: 06/24/18 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Representation matters.

That's all I'll say.

Happy Pride, friends and neighbors.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 06/24/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
As a gay man living in Denver, it's incredibly discomforting when you walk in Washington Park holding your boyfriends hand and have people give you stares, mutter jesus christ under their breath, or just out right yell slurs at you. Or when you walk down Colfax and someone threatens you for the simple act of holding a man's hand. Or you hear about the stories where a gay couple gets stabbed for the very actions that I did in the same area. I guarantee that if I was heterosexual, none of that would have happened.

Being gay means that when you hear about a shooting right outside of a gay club in Denver, you assume the worst. Right before Denver Pride, there was a shooting right outside of X-Bar -- one of Denver's few LGBTQ establishments. (It was actually next door at the 7/11, but that close to Pride -- it put us all on edge.) My friends heard bullets, and one actually hit a tree right over my friend's head. It's happened before, and it will happen again. Pulse Orlando. Backstreet Bar. Upstairs Lounge. Stonewall.

As a former Youth Minister, being gay means being completely outed by your pastor without your permission, knowledge, or preparedness. I was removed from my position as a Youth Minister and kicked out of a church for my sexuality without a thought for the relationships and community that I had built. Being gay means suffering at the hands of the church that proclaims they welcome all but only if you fit into their image of Christ's kingdom.

Growing up in rural New Jersey, being gay meant that I didn't have any role models. I didn't have any relationships to watch, learn from, and inwardly digest. This is why relationships such as this are important to promote. As someone who's suffered for so long at the hands of others for my sexuality, I appreciate the willingness of those to step into the limelight despite the immense risk that they put themselves at by doing so.

Seattle can rally around them, the nation can support them -- but no one can protect them from the realities and the battles that come with being gay in America. Perhaps this is unnecessary, but until you experience the realities of being gay, and the inhumanity, I don't think you can fully understand why this is important.

Thanks so much for sharing this powerful, distressing, moving statement.

PostPosted: 06/24/18 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We also know which individuals have long been targeted and summarily castigated as "The Fault" for "The Fall" of "classical Greece and Rome", by influential leaders of successive preceding generations of our modern-day population... and why.

Which is why such well-written articles ought to be appreciated, and are.

Things that seem obvious and ho-hum and "Who Cares?" to some can be transformative for many others, particularly those who have been long conditioned to misinformation of the "sincerely-held" variety.

For the latter individuals, yes, "facts" can indeed be "news". Matter-of-fact "news" that helps melt the glacier of fallacious "beliefs" is quite fit to print.

stever

PostPosted: 06/25/18 8:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/page/espnwbodybirdrapinoe/wnba-sue-bird-uswnt-megan-rapinoe-debate-better-athlete-body-issue-2018

Quote:
Visibility is important'

Carol Anne

PostPosted: 06/26/18 7:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/page/espnwbodybirdrapinoe/wnba-sue-bird-uswnt-megan-rapinoe-debate-better-athlete-body-issue-2018

Quote:
Visibility is important'

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/storm/storms-sue-bird-reigns-megan-rapinoe-to-become-first-openly-gay-couple-on-the-cover-of-espn-magazines-body-issue/

stever

PostPosted: 07/05/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zT4uCSkdFh8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/MDmjyxPOiV0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: