RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New Transfer Rule!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
purduefanatic

PostPosted: 06/14/18 11:26 am    ::: New Transfer Rule!!! Reply Reply with quote

Well, looks like change is coming. I can think of at least one person in here who will be pretty happy with this. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/new-transfer-rule-eliminates-permission-contact-process

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 06/14/18 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I note:

Conferences remain free to impose more restrictive rules.

Doesn't address "sitting out" requirement, it appears.

"Tampering" has evidently been elevated in magnitude as a violation.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/14/18 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The players can gratefully tug their forelocks and bow to the gentry when they pass by in their Mercedes with their million-dollar contracts.

"Thankee, thankee ..." the players say, bicycles locked and parked behind them, with eyes cast down, looking to see if any extra coins might have fallen from the tinted windows. "My masters are so generous ... now I don't even have to ask permission to leave the fiefdom. Who could ask for more?"

---

How about just having the same rules for all adults involved in intercollegiate athletics?

PostPosted: 06/15/18 12:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The players can gratefully tug their forelocks and bow to the gentry when they pass by in their Mercedes with their million-dollar contracts.

"Thankee, thankee ..." the players say, bicycles locked and parked behind them, with eyes cast down, looking to see if any extra coins might have fallen from the tinted windows. "My masters are so generous ... now I don't even have to ask permission to leave the fiefdom. Who could ask for more?"

---

How about just having the same rules for all adults involved in intercollegiate athletics?

I get you don't like the rule, but have you ever asked or talked to anyone to find out why women's basketball is one of the few sports that don't have the one time transfer exception? You always talk about it being unfair and it should be the same for all, but it's not the same even among sports in the NCAA. I have no idea why there is a different, but I do know it exist, and even other sports allow interconference transfers without sitting out, a few years ago UCLA had a player start at short stop as a freshmen, the next season she was the starting shortstop at Arizona.

ClayK

PostPosted: 06/15/18 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

---

I get you don't like the rule, but have you ever asked or talked to anyone to find out why women's basketball is one of the few sports that don't have the one time transfer exception? You always talk about it being unfair and it should be the same for all, but it's not the same even among sports in the NCAA. I have no idea why there is a different, but I do know it exist, and even other sports allow interconference transfers without sitting out, a few years ago UCLA had a player start at short stop as a freshmen, the next season she was the starting shortstop at Arizona.

I don't like any rule that treats some adults differently than others without some kind of formal negotiation that balances positives and negatives.

Whether it's college basketball or water polo or electricians or whoever, it is simply unfair to impose rules on those who generate income (of course we can't call athletes "employees" despite the fact that they are directly responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue) without a negotiated contract.

Of course, this ruling is helpful, but really, this is reform? This means an employee -- sorry, athletes aren't employees -- can apply for a job at another company without permission from her present employer. Tell me, how many people who read this can't look for another job without the permission of their employer? (Those who have non-competitive clauses in their contracts have a contract that both parties signed off on.)

PostPosted: 06/15/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
GEF34 wrote:
ClayK wrote:

---

I don't like any rule that treats some adults differently than others without some kind of formal negotiation that balances positives and negatives.

Whether it's college basketball or water polo or electricians or whoever, it is simply unfair to impose rules on those who generate income (of course we can't call athletes "employees" despite the fact that they are directly responsible for hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue) without a negotiated contract.

Of course, this ruling is helpful, but really, this is reform? This means an employee -- sorry, athletes aren't employees -- can apply for a job at another company without permission from her present employer. Tell me, how many people who read this can't look for another job without the permission of their employer? (Those who have non-competitive clauses in their contracts have a contract that both parties signed off on.)

I don't see how that answer my question, other than I guess you saying you don't care what the reason is. But unless they just pulled 4 sports out of a hat and were like these for we will impose this rule on, maybe there is a legitimate reason for the rule.

As for your second part, people have been fired for going on interviews, or even applying for jobs without telling their employer. So to act like all adults can just look for jobs whenever they want and it have no repercussions doesn't exactly paint a full picture. And if you are all for them being treated like adults are you also for coaches being allowed to take away scholarships based on performance since in the real world that's why you can be fired. In the real world you get that kind of protection.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: