RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

North America joint bid wins 2026 WC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Men's Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 06/13/18 5:26 pm    ::: North America joint bid wins 2026 WC Reply Reply with quote

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2018/06/13/11/15/20180613-news-united-bid-selected-to-host-the-2026-fifa-world-cup

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/13/18 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect all the Mexican and all 3 Canadian cities will be picked, leaving 10 US Cities.

The Final is in New York as expect LA, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami and Washington DC to be there. The other 4 I'd pick Houston, Denver, Seattle, Philadelphia or Baltimore.

It's a touch pick and it's not great that it's a 3-country host...never liked that idea. I would hazard a guess that the US alone could have beaten Morocco. Ah well....it should be a fun time in 8 years.

toad455

PostPosted: 06/13/18 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also don't like the 48 team tournament. Too many. This is the only way it can be hosted is with multiple country bids. But yeah, Canada & Mexico get their 3 cities. My 10 USA hosts would be: New York, Philadelphia, Atlanta, Orlando, Houston, Denver, Seattle, Los Angeles, Bay Area, Washington DC.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/14/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A 48-country field doesn't have to hosted by multiple countries---just large ones with the right infrastructure. I agree, 48 is WAY too many. 32 was just fine. That said, the US could easily host a 48-country field all by itself.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 06/14/18 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just to put fine point on it, with the USA being able to host a 48-country World Cup by itself:

The 2026 World Cup will be 48 countries playing 80 matches in total. In the United States, there are 80 stadiums that have a capacity of 56,000 or more in 34 different states. That means every match can be played in a 56,000+ stadium with no repeat venues. That's an infrastructure that's just stupid massive. Razz

toad455

PostPosted: 06/14/18 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The one intriguing thing about a three-country hosted World Cup is that FIFA has yet to decide if all three get automatic births.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 06/25/18 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The one intriguing thing about a three-country hosted World Cup is that FIFA has yet to decide if all three get automatic births.

I was thinking about that when they announced this. CONCACAF qualifying would be pointless if all three got in with the format we have now. With a 48 team field, you can definitely pull that off.

pilight

PostPosted: 06/25/18 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
toad455 wrote:

I was thinking about that when they announced this. CONCACAF qualifying would be pointless if all three got in with the format we have now. With a 48 team field, you can definitely pull that off.

Judging by this year's Cup, CONCACAF qualifying is already pretty pointless

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: