RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Top 5 Trades in WNBA History

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adamj95

PostPosted: 05/23/18 6:51 pm    ::: Top 5 Trades in WNBA History Reply Reply with quote

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/23582952/connecticut-sun-los-angeles-sparks-lead-way-top-five-trades-wnba-history

Quote:
At some point, the WNBA might grow to where there is more movement -- and the fan interest that usually spurs. But with Gray's and Jones' teams facing off this week, we look at five of the best WNBA trades, as defined by the deals delivering something positive -- although not necessarily equal -- for both sides.

I'm surprised the Fowles trade isn't on here.

PostPosted: 05/23/18 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No trade was better than the Tari Phillips trade to New York in 2000.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
AFO

PostPosted: 05/23/18 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Smith to Detroit. Got her championships.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/23/18 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd guess Nikki Teasley to the Sparks is the most thoroughly analyzed trade on this board

Phoenix acquiring Tangela Smith led directly to a pair of titles

The Katie Smith trade got the Shock back on track, but also signaled that the Lynx were starting over from scratch

PostPosted: 05/23/18 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

AFO wrote:

That wasn't a trade. That was theft by swindle.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mavcarter
#NATC

PostPosted: 05/23/18 8:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That Gray for Jones trade still makes my mind boggle. Instead of the Sun using one of those lottery picks on Jones you take Tuck and Banham, all while could’ve kept Gray. Confused

justintyme

PostPosted: 05/23/18 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
AFO wrote:

That wasn't a trade. That was theft by swindle.

Seems to have worked out for the Lynx. One of the worst things you can do in the WNBA is be "just good enough". Never get to restock players in the draft (in a league where salary cap is a non-issue so superstars are almost never available), and never have a chance to win it all. Committing to the rebuild is smart.

That trade lead to the Shock winning two Championships and set the foundation for what would become the Lynx Dynasty.

PostPosted: 05/23/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Voepel's article is about the best 'Win-Win' Trades, not best trades, period... If it were the latter, Katie Smith would be my #1.

With that, I would nominate Detroit's trade of Swin Cash to Seattle for their 2008 #4 pick which turned out to be Alexis Hornbuckle. Idea

Both players played instrumental roles in getting each team a championship; DET in 2008, and SEA in 2010.

So whether it's best trades, or best Win-Win trades, looks like Laimbeer makes the list either way Twisted Evil

I remember meeting Alexis Hornbuckle during shootaround in Sacramento... or, as Laimbeer called her, 'Horny' Razz Nice person Mr. Green

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 05/23/18 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mavcarter wrote:
That Gray for Jones trade still makes my mind boggle. Instead of the Sun using one of those lottery picks on Jones you take Tuck and Banham, all while could’ve kept Gray. Confused

Yes, basically the Sun traded Gray & the #4 pick last year for Banham. I am outraged that Minnesota's reward (or punishment) for former Gophers star Banham ending up on the Sun is that Lynx now lose every game to the Sparks thanks to the G.O.A.T., Chelsea Gray. 😭

root_thing

PostPosted: 05/23/18 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trades 1 and 5 are related. LA got Gray and the 2017 #4 in exchange for Jones. They then flipped that pick for Sims. So, the final result is Chelsea Gray and Odyssey Sims for Jonquel Jones. Bad job by Voepel to not point that out.

PostPosted: 05/24/18 2:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know about win-win, but the Sun / Silver Stars trade in 2004 is worth a mention.

The Sun traded All Star PG Pee Wee Johnson and pics 21 and 34 overall to San Antonio for the 4th (Whalen), 16th (Jessica Brungo) , and 29th pics.

willtalk

PostPosted: 05/24/18 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Trades 1 and 5 are related. LA got Gray and the 2017 #4 in exchange for Jones. They then flipped that pick for Sims. So, the final result is Chelsea Gray and Odyssey Sims for Jonquel Jones. Bad job by Voepel to not point that out.

For some reason that is often done. For example in the NBA one of the worst of all time trades ever made was Dirk Nowitski for Tractor Trailor and a 16th pick. The always talk about the trade like it was just Dirk for Trailor ( which is bad enough) but just like Sparks used the #4 pick to get Sims, Dallas used the #16 pick in trade to get Steve Nash. So the got Nash and Dirk, two MVP's,and all time greats, for a guy who played as a back up for one year.

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/25/18 5:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Charles trade from Minnesota also ignores the fact that that pick was traded by the Sparks to the Lynx for Noelle Quinn...a career backup...and of course from the Libs to the Sparks for Sydney Spencer...

Sydney FREAKING Spencer!

2009 ended up being such a train wreck for the Libs that it wound up that Tina Charles got traded THREE times before she even was drafted LOL

And then forces her way back to the Libs anyway LOL

Also disagree about the Cappie Trade being a big catalyst for the Libs...team still struggled...what triggered the big streak was actually the Tiffany Jackson for Pierson trade...which was a trade that helped both teams (Jackson wasn't great but brought SOME veteran stability to what was a wasteland in Tulsa, Pierson cemented the Libs Frontline)

Cappie had winning seasons her first 2 years...indeed was awesome in year 1 and a quality star player year 2...3-5 all WELL below 500 and became a headache to fans and management.

Also I think Cappie for Prince is one of those trades that helped No One

Both were key in 2015 for sure...but after that

Prince has missed more games than she's played

Cappie got beat out by Ally Quigley and was finally let to walk to LA.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: