RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Awards 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 08/23/18 9:02 am    ::: Awards 2018 Reply Reply with quote

Jonquel Jones Named 2018 WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year

http://www.wnba.com/news/connecticut-sun-jonquel-jones-named-2018-wnba-sixth-woman-of-the-year

Votes Player Team

20 Jonquel Jones Connecticut Sun

8 Cheyenne Parker Chicago Sky

3 Brittney Sykes Atlanta Dream

2 Danielle Robinson Minnesota Lynx

2 Azura Stevens Dallas Wings

1 Alex Bentley Atlanta Dream

1 Jordin Canada Seattle Storm

1 Essence Carson Los Angeles Sparks

PostPosted: 08/23/18 11:22 am    ::: Re: Awards 2018 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Jonquel Jones Named 2018 WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year

http://www.wnba.com/news/connecticut-sun-jonquel-jones-named-2018-wnba-sixth-woman-of-the-year

In honor of being named the WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year, Jones will receive $5,000 and a specially designed trophy by Tiffany & Co.

With her MIP award from last year, Jones has picked up $10,000 in additional compensation by virtue of winning league awards. She added another $5,000 by making the All-WNBA Second Team last year.

Jones also received a trophy crafted by Tiffany & Co. in honor of her 2017 Peak Performer milestone, leading the league in rebounding (though the Peak Performer award does not appear to come with any additional financial compensation).

toad455

PostPosted: 08/23/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You think Miller planned to only start her 16 games so she could win this award? Personally, I think Cheyenne Parker should have won.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Shades

PostPosted: 08/23/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
You think Miller planned to only start her 16 games so she could win this award? Personally, I think Cheyenne Parker should have won.

The original original plan was to have Chiney come off the bench so she could “come back slow”. But JJones had all the issues that made her very late to camp and subsequently Chiney was getting those starter reps and apparently doing very well. Chiney started the season, did well, and never gave it back as JJones was struggling for whatever reason. Maybe it’s losing that starter’s rhythm, a concept nobody here seems to understand.

The main reason JJones got starts at all this season was because Thomas was out for 10 days; Chiney was out for about 3 days. I don’t think Miller planned it that way. He’s maniacal but that would be taking it too far.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
sigur3

PostPosted: 08/23/18 12:45 pm    ::: Re: Awards 2018 Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Votes Player Team

lmfao

zune69

PostPosted: 08/23/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New rule:

Players can only qualify for 6WOY if they come off the bench for 2/3 of their games,and play a minimum of 24 games.

Randy

PostPosted: 08/23/18 1:47 pm    ::: Re: Awards 2018 Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Votes Player Team

lmfao

Wasn't it the Spark's play by play announcer who was pushing Canada for 6woy. I recall that from one of the games. She was probably the vote.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/23/18 1:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or we just take all the qualifiers off and let the voters makes up their own minds what counts as a '6th Woman'. They don't specify what 'Most Valuable' means, or what type of defense the Defensive Player of the Year is supposed to be best at, why specify an amount where you count as a bench player? Put enough qualifiers on it and it just becomes 'Best Player Who Wasn't Good Enough to Start'. Why are we giving an award for that? We don't have a Best Third Wheel award or Best Fifth Starter award.

I still want to see them list the actual votes, giving the information on who picked whom for each award like the NBA does these days. Let's see who made the ridiculous picks so that they can be questioned on why they made them, and potentially kicked off the list for future years.

PostPosted: 08/23/18 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Better yet...All-Stars who started on their team the previous season do not qualify for the 6WOY award.Jones IMO is Ringer...She's a legit starter who made the All-Star team....Parker should have won this award.

Jones 2017-15.4p/11.9r......6th Woman my Ass.

Jonquel Jones finished 5th in the MVP voting last season Rolling Eyes

Last edited by zune69 on 08/23/18 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 08/23/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And realistically, if Thomas was out for another game, Jones would have started and wouldn't have been eligible.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/23/18 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I still want to see them list the actual votes, giving the information on who picked whom for each award like the NBA does these days. Let's see who made the ridiculous picks so that they can be questioned on why they made them, and potentially kicked off the list for future years.

👍

PostPosted: 08/23/18 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Better yet...All-Stars who started on their team the previous season do not qualify for the 6WOY award.Jones IMO is Ringer...She's a legit starter who made the All-Star team....Parker should have won this award.

I take most awards for this season in a vacuum, so I ignored the fact that Jonquel was a superstar starter last year. But if not her, then should former All-Star Chiney Ogwumike be the 6WOY? Or give the award to the best 6th best player on any team? Or they just get rid of this award, because it's an individual award that is more of a function of what team you play on, at least in the WNBA where these 6WOY winners are often players who are capable of starting on other teams, or becoming starters in the near future.

Parker should probably be Most Improved Player front-runner (if not Plum, but I don't like award being given to a top draft pick who struggled as a rookie, which is often expected) but going from being a fringe backup to being top sixth-women on same team, same coach (easier to isolate "improvement" being due to player actually improving / being a better player, and not getting way more playing time and/or playing for a coach who utilizes the player better, etc) doesn't seem to excite people that much.

zune69

PostPosted: 08/23/18 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
But if not her, then should former All-Star Chiney Ogwumike be the 6WOY?

Good point......However,Ogwumike was returning from a career-threatening injury and was three years removed from being an All-Star.There were many questions about her health and future as a pro basketball player.Chiney being an All-Star was no guarantee.The last year Chiney played she only avg 12p/7r...It wasn't as if she was a All-Star MVP candidate when she last played.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
zune69 wrote:

I take most awards for this season in a vacuum, so I ignored the fact that Jonquel was a superstar starter last year. But if not her, then should former All-Star Chiney Ogwumike be the 6WOY? Or give the award to the best 6th best player on any team? Or they just get rid of this award, because it's an individual award that is more of a function of what team you play on, at least in the WNBA where these 6WOY winners are often players who are capable of starting on other teams, or becoming starters in the near future.

Parker should probably be Most Improved Player front-runner (if not Plum, but I don't like award being given to a top draft pick who struggled as a rookie, which is often expected) but going from being a fringe backup to being top sixth-women on same team, same coach (easier to isolate "improvement" being due to player actually improving / being a better player, and not getting way more playing time and/or playing for a coach who utilizes the player better, etc) doesn't seem to excite people that much.

Nat Nat Howard says "Nope"

PostPosted: 08/23/18 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Nat Nat Howard says "Nope"

If you read the rest of the post it makes sense Razz

sigur3

PostPosted: 08/26/18 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stewart MVP
Howard MIP
Bird Sportsmanship

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/26/18 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Atleast one of my predictions came true. Congrats to Stewie. Well deserved Very Happy

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
pilight

PostPosted: 08/26/18 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No missing points in the MVP balloting this year!

This is Bird's third Perrot award, tying her with Tamika Catchings for most ever. Bird is the first player to win the award in consecutive years. This award has never gone to anyone drafted after 2003, so Bird was the only possible choice.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2nd place MVP votes for Maya Moore and Kayla McBride? The hell?

And Vandersloot got two Most Improved votes, for a season strikingly similar to what she did last year. Yeesh.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

And Vandersloot got two Most Improved votes, for a season strikingly similar to what she did last year. Yeesh.

Stewart was the only player to appear on all 39 ballots. Cambage was on 37, left off by two voters. Delle Donne was on 38, left off by one voter.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Stewart was the only player to appear on all 39 ballots. Cambage was on 37, left off by two voters. Delle Donne was on 38, left off by one voter.

I actually get leaving Cambage off entirely. I would guess that's two voters who feel that when your team finishes 15-19 (amazingly a worse record than when she didn't show up the year before), you don't get to count as hugely 'valuable'. Leaving Delle Donne off I find harder to see a thought process for.

Maya as 2nd in an MVP ballot is weird, in her worst-ever WNBA season on an 18-16 Lynx squad, but I guess you could feel that without her they'd have totally cratered into a lottery team and with the core aging around her she's become more valuable. McBride in 2nd is idiotic, on a 14-20 team where she clearly wasn't even the most valuable player on her own roster. That one's bizarre.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Congrats to Stewie. In a season that features many MVP level performances, she gave voters virtually no choice.

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:54 am    ::: Re: Awards 2018 Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Votes Player Team

lmfao

I cana't. I just can't. That's 100% Mary Murphy who should have her media tagged stripped and have a title made for her that says, "LA Sparks/PAC-12 players-hype machine."

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:55 am    ::: Re: Awards 2018 Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
sigur3 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Votes Player Team

lmfao

Wasn't it the Spark's play by play announcer who was pushing Canada for 6woy. I recall that from one of the games. She was probably the vote.

YUP! I was outraged about it then and I am still.

ucbart

PostPosted: 08/26/18 8:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
But if not her, then should former All-Star Chiney Ogwumike be the 6WOY?

Good point......However,Ogwumike was returning from a career-threatening injury and was three years removed from being an All-Star.There were many questions about her health and future as a pro basketball player.Chiney being an All-Star was no guarantee.The last year Chiney played she only avg 12p/7r...It wasn't as if she was a All-Star MVP candidate when she last played.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if the WNBA doesn't invent a Chiney Ogwumike award to give to her every year. I have never seen a player get more love and hype and press without really doing all that much. Yes, her injuries are unfortunate and I'm glad that she bounced back. But to have her in the MVP conversation this year is ridiculous.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: