RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Storm @ Mystics 9/12 Ref and Announcer Bitching Thread
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/11/18 12:31 pm    ::: Storm @ Mystics 9/12 Ref and Announcer Bitching Thread Reply Reply with quote

Post all your game comments bitching about, or otherwise discussing, refs and announcers here. Then we can see whether there's any commentary left in the primary game thread.
craigmont

PostPosted: 09/11/18 1:33 pm    ::: Re: Storm @ Mystics 9/12 Ref and Announcer Bitching Thread Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Post all your game comments bitching about, or otherwise discussing, refs and announcers here. Then we can see whether there's any commentary left in the primary game thread.

Could this also be the 'Howard not on the Lynx any more' thread?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/11/18 1:47 pm    ::: Re: Storm @ Mystics 9/12 Ref and Announcer Bitching Thread Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Twisted Evil

~rAf
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:05 pm    ::: Re: Storm @ Mystics 9/12 Ref and Announcer Bitching Thread Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

I love both ideas.

oops, and back on topic, these refs suck!

PostPosted: 09/11/18 3:11 pm    ::: Re: Storm @ Mystics 9/12 Ref and Announcer Bitching Thread Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

You mean the SpaceJunkie Outrage Thread? Smile

tfan

PostPosted: 09/11/18 8:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t think anyone ever complains about Lobo, although I would have her way down on my list of announcers I wanted to hear doing a game.Not sure about her partner Ruoco.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/12/18 7:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have an idea on how to solve this ref problem for the playoffs or at least the finals. The league would identify the refs available for the playoffs. the visiting team gets to pick the refs for each game from the pool of refs available.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/12/18 7:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I have an idea on how to solve this ref problem for the playoffs or at least the finals. The league would identify the refs available for the playoffs. the visiting team gets to pick the refs for each game from the pool of refs available.

Visitors pick two and home team picks one would be better

PostPosted: 09/12/18 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:

I think you'd find we'd end up with remarkably similar groups of officials. These people are there because the league's metrics rate them as the best available. If there were repeated complaints on specific people that would be registered by the league on their record, especially if they examined the video or talked to the assessors at the game and agreed with the complaints. It's not like the league wants people talking about refereeing mistakes after these games.

I don't actually think the officiating's been all that bad in the playoffs. Sure, they've made a few mistakes, but that happens in basketball - at every level. Plus there are always the things that fans/players/coaches are convinced were mistakes, but actually weren't. Like when Angry Sue went nuts against Phoenix, then looked back at the video and couldn't even find anything herself.

Most of the time these refs are doing a tough job to a pretty impressive standard.

PostPosted: 09/12/18 8:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I pretty much agree.

oops ... I mean keep your weird level-headed remarks outta this thread please

PostPosted: 09/12/18 8:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

do we know who the refs are?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ClayK

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having been around our local high school refs for a long time, the idea of choosing refs from an available pool brings up two distinct feelings:

1) Despite the moaning, generally the coaches and those who assign the officials agree on who the best available ones are -- and there's not that much difference between them. And even though coaches may occasionally say "Oh, Shannon doesn't like me," if Shannon is a good ref, they're happy to see her walk in the gym.

2) High school coaches (and college coaches, I believe) have the option of "dinging" or telling assigners they don't want certain officials doing their games. I've never done it because the refs will eventually find out you dinged them and then they really don't like you, and the system breaks down at some point and the ref you dinged is doing a big game. So imagine at the WNBA level if a coach chose official A over official B -- and then official B wound up doing a crucial game the next season.

I do believe that WNBA officials wouldn't carry a grudge, and wouldn't change a call, but if I were a WNBA coach, I would see no reason to take that chance. At this point, the refs are the best the league has to offer, and they are plenty busy making sure certain players don't foul out, certain players do foul out, and that the league's directive as to who should win (delivered directly to the officials' brains from commandeered radio antennas) are all taken into account.

PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As long as the Mystics get the same home cooking the refs gave the Storm I'll be satisfied. Howard was fouling EDD all day!

PEACE & LOVE GO MYSTICS!!!!!

PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
As long as the Mystics get the same home cooking the refs gave the Storm I'll be satisfied. Howard was fouling EDD all day!

I hope they get the same home cooking the Dream got in Game 5 of the semis

PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:

A 20-19 fouls called is not home cooking. Stewie was fouled many times and no calls either. As long as this game gets the same treatment it’ll be up to each team to get the win.

PostPosted: 09/12/18 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Force10rulz wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

A 20-19 fouls called is not home cooking. Stewie was fouled many times and no calls either. As long as this game gets the same treatment it’ll be up to each team to get the win.

Neither EDD nor Stewart were really fouled except for when the refs called it. So it comes down to who you gonna believe - me or your lying eyes?

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 09/12/18 4:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You sound like Lisa Kudrow in Easy A "Who would you believe, who would you believe..." Laughing

Phoebe is the greatest

zune69

PostPosted: 09/12/18 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Replacing Ryan Ruocco with Adam Amin would be a huge upgrade. I really enjoyed listening to the Final Four(Amin, Lobo, Lawson)...The lead commentator usually sets the tone for the game. Ruocco does a poor job of this. Too often he's trying to be funny, speaking on topics that have nothing to do with the game or just repetitively repeating what Lobo is saying(Taurasi is the Goat)...He's such a tryhard.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/12/18 4:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd get rid of Lobo, Ryan is sort of ok but I would limit his role to just explaining what calls were, how many fouls a player has, etc so you have good idea of what's going on. What I would like is mainly the crowd noise so you felt like you were there.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/12/18 4:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow, what an honor, I don't think I've ever been stickied before. Is Sally Bell reffing this site?
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/12/18 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone fire that idiot coach/GM Cheryl Reeve who thought a 2nd round pick is more useful for than Howard. Very Happy

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/12/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
Someone fire that idiot coach/GM Cheryl Reeve who thought a 2nd round pick is more useful for than Howard. Very Happy

No one will ever read this thread, but Reeve became the worst coach in the world and made the worst trade in the world because she was driven bat-crazy insane by watching the worst refs in the world and listening to the worst announcers in the world. See, it all fits together.
miller40

PostPosted: 09/12/18 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lobo should feel free to retire “fire gear and fanny packs” from her go-to phrase book.

Randy

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:

You could try dropping anvil on her from on top of cliff, but it never works for me.

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 09/12/18 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:

You could try dropping anvil on her from on top of cliff, but it never works for me.

I am outraged that I didn't trust my gut and find out how to bet on the Seattle Storm winning the title right after the Howard trade, because I thought Howard was supposed to be a superstar (and I've always said elsewhere Minnesota teams always win titles for other teams and not themselves) until people on this board made it sound like the Lynx got the better end of the deal, because I could've afforded a lot of Acme Corporation products with all those winnings!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: