RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA "Take A Seat, Take A Stand"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/17/18 12:25 pm    ::: WNBA "Take A Seat, Take A Stand" Reply Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/wnba/videos/10156254101689280/?hc_ref=ART-Y80mPA9NQXIAzIXDn8d_vBdWS3xelzVfVf5_ohMXS-y2M-CvaS97Te2q4beJn1E&fref=gs&dti=1654205581484602&hc_location=group

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/17/18 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This season, your ticket supports more than women's basketball. It helps change the game for women and girls. WNBA.com/TakeAStand #WNBATakesAStand

https://www.facebook.com/wnba/videos/10156254101689280/

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 05/17/18 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Invites Fans to “Take A Seat, Take A Stand” for Women and Girls During 2018 Season

http://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-take-a-seat-take-a-stand-women-girls-2018-season/

threadkiller1201

PostPosted: 05/17/18 11:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

very cool

Happycappie25

PostPosted: 05/18/18 6:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So...here's what I gather from reading this

WNBA is going all in Cause based marketing. Ive said for years this is not a great idea...And theyre being militant about it.

They're also going political...while I have no problem with any of the groups listed and can and do donate to all of them...I wont ostrich and note almost all of them (Bright Pink, A BHA Charity being the only exception I see) having a Left leaning PAC tied to them. I have zero problem with that being Liberal and I would say that 90% of the W's fans would have zero problem with that, being also Liberal. But with Politics the way it is...why exclude...I know the Jordan Quote has been derided and even discredited ("Republicans buy sneakers too") but tying one going to a game with a check off for 6 left leaning groups...I know a few Right leaning Lib fans who wouldn't exactly be thrilled.

"Each donation will be tied to a ticket for a woman or girl to attend a game"...Sing along to the tune of Prince "Libs can only draw 2-5-0-0 Party Over Oops out of time...so elsewhere we're gonna paper like it's 1999!!!"

Not that I mind a team doing this for a night like they've been doing. It's important...it draws fans...it works

But for a league premise...to hitch the wagon that tightly...is there an opt out? It's bold...it'll puff attendance (again Paper like it's 1999!) so where the Libs being capacity at 2500 wont matter...it'll please Silver on Demos...but I'm not sure if this is great...Sell the SPORT not a CAUSE I've beaten this to death cuz its true

Cause gets fans in for 1 or 2 games but it doesnt invest them in the league...maybe if a team does it that's one thing (I once sent Bernert an article about a Futbol team from the former east germany which is so activist it's classified as a political party by the government Smile ) but for the league...it's a quick fix...we need people staying for the ball...and loving the ball...not coming as a political rally and not caring for the action on the court...we already had that in the single entity era...it dried up eventually.

The mainstream press will eventually go away...as will the hype...and then...you're left with...

Extremely entertaining basketball...

Cause marketing has it's place...

but again the WNBA IS A PROFESSIONAL SPORTS LEAGUE not a PROFESSIONAL CAUSE LEAGUE...

honestly...heart in right place...those are all great orginizations...but head...no this is not a good long term direction for the league...especially in this war like political climate.

PostPosted: 05/18/18 8:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are many women who are not sports fans. This campaign could give them a reason to attend a WNBA game.
"Well, I hate sports, but this is for a good cause." Some will enjoy themselves and come back.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 05/18/18 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A gimmick born of desperation. I agree with just about everything Happycappie has said about linking a sports event to political or politically affiliated causes.

In fact for me, as one who has been a WBB fan for a long time and who does watch and support the WNBA, I'd now avoid buying tickets to games because I absolutely do want to contribute money to at least one of those organizations. The W has probably figured there are more fans unlike me than like me, but in the long run I expect this gimmick to be a fizzle even if they picked a wholly non-political cause such as heart disease. People go to sports events for entertainment.
ClayK

PostPosted: 05/18/18 10:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
A gimmick born of desperation. I agree with just about everything Happycappie has said about linking a sports event to political or politically affiliated causes.

In fact for me, as one who has been a WBB fan for a long time and who does watch and support the WNBA, I'd now avoid buying tickets to games because I absolutely do want to contribute money to at least one of those organizations. The W has probably figured there are more fans unlike me than like me, but in the long run I expect this gimmick to be a fizzle even if they picked a wholly non-political cause such as heart disease. People go to sports events for entertainment.

Not much to lose, really, as long-time fans have to be very comfortable with lesbian players and fans, minorities and immigrants.

But not much to gain either, as I don't think many potential STHs have been missed by marketing outreach in the past two decades.

If they really want to goose attendance and interest, get out in front of the gambling opportunity ... seems less controversial than politics.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: