RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Race to MVP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zune69

PostPosted: 08/19/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Without Cambage this season in Dallas, the Wings would have been a lottery team. Though they likely would have kept Paris. But you can't ignore the Storm's record and Stewart's stats.

I disagree 100%

Glory,Powers,Stevens and Gray would've all put up better numbers by playing a more uptempo style.In 2017 Dallas had 5 double digits scorers not including Stevens.This season they have only 2.The addition of Stevens would've moderately improved the defense.You're saying Dallas would be a lottery team without Liz only because they have 15 wins and are underachieving.The Wings should have 21-23 wins right now and be legit Championship contenders.

Shades

PostPosted: 08/19/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Had Cambage not come back, Dallas probably would have done some things differently. Like maybe not signing Plaisance if you know she’s going to miss most of the season. She was probably meant to help get Cambage get up to speed on the Dallas post system. Maybe they would have kept Paris. Maybe they would have kept Hamblin, who actually looked decent in the preseason. Maybe they would have bid up Kayla Alexander.

Maybe they would have made a play for Howard, but who knew she was a hybrid center? That was something Dano stumbled onto when Langhorne got hurt. His original plan was to make Stewart the SF, Howard the PF, and putting new max contract Langhorne back to her undersized center position, pushing Clark to the bench. But when Langhorne got hurt early on, everybody slid down a position, Clark was back at SF, and it worked out so incredibly well there was no turning back to Langhorne as a starter. Stumblitis worked well for Miller last year. Worked for Hughes too.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/19/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Had Cambage not come back, Dallas probably would have done some things differently. Like maybe not signing Plaisance if you know she’s going to miss most of the season. She was probably meant to help get Cambage get up to speed on the Dallas post system. Maybe they would have kept Paris. Maybe they would have kept Hamblin, who actually looked decent in the preseason. Maybe they would have bid up Kayla Alexander.

Maybe they would have made a play for Howard, but who knew she was a hybrid center? That was something Dano stumbled onto when Langhorne got hurt. His original plan was to make Stewart the SF, Howard the PF, and putting new max contract Langhorne back to her undersized center position, pushing Clark to the bench. But when Langhorne got hurt early on, everybody slid down a position, Clark was back at SF, and it worked out so incredibly well there was no turning back to Langhorne as a starter. Stumblitis worked well for Miller last year. Worked for Hughes too.

Lol you went from dallas to Seattle to Connecticut Laughing

PostPosted: 08/19/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I want to start a coup to make myself GM of the Lynx so Reeve will be forced to stumble into the fact she can win games with younger players (the #6 pick next year. If it gets traded for vets, I'm going to riot!) by not giving Reeve any more ancient/mediocre vets for the bench that she loves to use as an excuse to play over the younger players. Very Happy

Last edited by SpaceJunkie on 08/19/18 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/19/18 1:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I want to start a coup to make myself GM of the Lynx so Reeve will be forced to stumble into the fact she can win games with younger players (the #6 pick this year. If it gets traded for vets, I'm going to riot!) by not giving Reeve any more ancient/mediocre vets for the bench that she loves to use as an excuse to play over the younger players. Very Happy

Yes you could possibly be looking at Ogumbawale or Collier depending on how well she does this season. Pheesa can go anywhere from 3-6 imo. On the Low end it could be Gustaffson or Ezi....This is all decided with Ionescu NOT declaring early. That's a whole different ball game.

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Without Cambage this season in Dallas, the Wings would have been a lottery team. Though they likely would have kept Paris. But you can't ignore the Storm's record and Stewart's stats.

The problem is that they were almost a lottery team WITH her.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cambage has had an outstanding season, but it's hard to get past that a 16-18 team added Cambage and Stevens, lost virtually no one, and is going to finish 16-18 (at best) again. People have their own definition of MVP, and the NBA/WNBA has always resisted defining it, but that would lead me to question 'value' with Cambage.

We obviously don't have the same empirical evidence, but even with Hughes in charge, how many games do you think Seattle are winning if Stewart blows out her knee in Game 1 of the season?

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Cambage has had an outstanding season, but it's hard to get past that a 16-18 team added Cambage and Stevens, lost virtually no one, and is going to finish 16-18 (at best) again. People have their own definition of MVP, and the NBA/WNBA has always resisted defining it, but that would lead me to question 'value' with Cambage.

We obviously don't have the same empirical evidence, but even with Hughes in charge, how many games do you think Seattle are winning if Stewart blows out her knee in Game 1 of the season?

If seattle still had boucek as the head coach do you think this would be the results? Coaching does matter its as if that's not a factor Laughing

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
If seattle still had boucek as the head coach do you think this would be the results? Coaching does matter its as if that's not a factor Laughing

They would have about the same 15 wins they had last year

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

EDD got Pokey Chatman 2 20-win seasons and a trip to the finals. Maybe Cambage and Stewart are just not up to par? Wink Twisted Evil

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Boucek = Fred when it comes to X's and O's . Hughes is lightyears ahead of both.

PostPosted: 08/19/18 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

EDD got Pokey Chatman 2 20-win seasons and a trip to the finals. Maybe Cambage and Stewart are just not up to par? Wink Twisted Evil

Pokey is better than fred and Jenny boo in my opinion. She inherited a terrible team but they play hard.

PostPosted: 08/19/18 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Exactly.

Having a losing season completely takes a player out of MVP contention for me.

When we had east and west, I didn’t think not making the playoffs should necessarily mean no MVP. The West was so loaded you could have winning seasons and still not make the playoffs. (Didn’t Jackson win when she didn’t make the playoffs?)

But losing season? Sorry..not that valuable..and hard to say best player in the league either.

PostPosted: 08/24/18 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I want to start a coup to make myself GM of the Lynx so Reeve will be forced to stumble into the fact she can win games with younger players

Injuries forced Reeve to use Dantas as rookie starter, and it worked out quite well. Maybe part of the reason is Dantas couldn’t understand a word Reeve was saying, other than maybe FORTE’!

Reeve was leaning on AJones more last season when Whalen went down. That seem to work out well.

When Reeve is forced to use younger players it's not always a disaster. This season was a disaster by dynasty standards.

Last edited by Shades on 08/24/18 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/24/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
SpaceJunkie wrote:
I want to start a coup to make myself GM of the Lynx so Reeve will be forced to stumble into the fact she can win games with younger players

Injuries forced Reeve was forced to use Dantas as rookie starter, and it worked out quite well. Maybe part of the reason is Dantas couldn’t understand a word Reeve was saying, other than maybe FORTE’!

Reeve was leaning on AJones more last season when Whalen went down. That seem to work out well.

When Reeve is forced to use younger players it's not always a disaster. This season was a disaster by dynasty standards.

I know. That's why I thought this offseason would be different, but Reeve decided she didn't want to risk the Lynx going, say 18-16 this year and losing in the first round of the playoffs, by having to rely on anybody other than Tanisha Wright behind Augustus (Alexis Jones, Zandalasini, a rookie, or a cheaper player), so that's why she got rid of Howard, even though Howard may end up going down as one of the best players in WNBA history and may win more titles than the entire Lynx when it is all said and down since Seattle is now the best team in the WNBA because they were able to get one of the best players in the WNBA for the price of missing out on a chance to draft Mercedes Russell, in a league in which top players almost never switch teams because most teams are smart enough to keep top players.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SpaceJunkie wrote:
tfan wrote:
Quote:

3 The way the league is officiated favors post play. WNBA officials call more fouls than NBA officials, even adjusting for the higher number of perimeter shots for the men. Therefore teams feed the post more, knowing the refs will likely bail them out.

The WNBA allows more fouls per minute than any league in the world. Change that and I suspect that the refs will suddenly be calling fewer fouls as the play will have to change.

Or the refs will call fouls the same, and we'll all be complaining about players having to sit massive chunks of most games in foul trouble.

I meant that the refs will call fouls the same - but the players will commit less fouls when you give them one less.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Cambage has had an outstanding season, but it's hard to get past that a 16-18 team added Cambage and Stevens, lost virtually no one,

They lost a starter in Karima Christmas-Kelly. Plaisance played 20 minutes a game in 2017.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Natasha Howard is playing like an all-star. That adds wins.

tfan

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Same coach in 2017 and 2018. But 2017 had Christmas-Kelly (although surprised to see she was only 38% and 29.2% from 2 and 3 last year).

Michelle89

PostPosted: 08/25/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Cambage has had an outstanding season, but it's hard to get past that a 16-18 team added Cambage and Stevens, lost virtually no one,

They lost a starter in Karima Christmas-Kelly. Plaisance played 20 minutes a game in 2017.

Half of the fans on this board where ready to dump Karima before the season Rolling Eyes

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Shades

PostPosted: 08/25/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The final edition
http://www.wnba.com/news/race-to-mvp-breanna-stewart-tops-final-ballot/

1. Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm
2. Liz Cambage, Dallas Wings
3. Elena Delle Donne, Washington Mystics
4. Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota Lynx
5. Candace Parker, Los Angeles Sparks
6. Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Mercury
7. Tiffany Hayes, Atlanta Dream
8. Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury
9. A’ja Wilson, Las Vegas Aces
10. Chiney Ogwumike, Connecticut Sun

SpaceJunkie

PostPosted: 08/25/18 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
The final edition
http://www.wnba.com/news/race-to-mvp-breanna-stewart-tops-final-ballot/

1. Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm
2. Liz Cambage, Dallas Wings
3. Elena Delle Donne, Washington Mystics
4. Sylvia Fowles, Minnesota Lynx
5. Candace Parker, Los Angeles Sparks
6. Diana Taurasi, Phoenix Mercury
7. Tiffany Hayes, Atlanta Dream
8. Brittney Griner, Phoenix Mercury
9. A’ja Wilson, Las Vegas Aces
10. Chiney Ogwumike, Connecticut Sun

It looks like the refs and Connecticut Sun players aren't the only ones to disrespect Taurasi! Twisted Evil

tfan

PostPosted: 08/25/18 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Half of the fans on this board where ready to dump Karima before the season Rolling Eyes

I guess the knock on Christmas-Kelly is her shooting.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/25/18 10:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
tfan wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I guess the knock on Christmas-Kelly is her shooting.

We lost glory game 1. Karima , Theresa , Ariel Wtf do you mean we lost "Virtually" no one. What type of virtual life you living.

PostPosted: 08/25/18 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glory Johnson played 29 games; Plaisance was a 38%-shooting utterly ordinary center who would've played 10mpg backing up Cambage; Powers wasn't lost, she was traded for someone of equally negligible value; and Christmas-Kelly I'd just about give you, although her absence basically enabled Thornton to step in and do the same job better.

Were they as healthy as Seattle this season? No. Were they pretty fucking healthy by WNBA standards? Absolutely.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: