58%  [ 24 ]
Mercury
41%
 41%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 41

zune69

PostPosted: 05/19/18 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
If Sue Bird were 5-3, she'd be a bench player at best ...

5'3 for a PG is undersized...6'5 for a center is not....Griner's height is her biggest asset.

Be 6'9 and get 2 rebounds in a playoff game.

Last edited by zune69 on 05/19/18 10:47 am; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/19/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Crazy seeing all this Liz Love...rewind 1 month ago and majority of the posters i see loving her were here biggest haters Laughing i caaant .
Zune excluded..

PostPosted: 05/19/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
If Griner was 6'5 she'd be a bench player at best.

And if Shereka Wright had been 6'2 she would have been an Olympian.

Griner isn't 6'5 an people talk about her like an elite center. But when she goes up against similar players, she consistently falls short.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/19/18 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Griner isn't 6'5 an people talk about her like an elite center. But when she goes up against similar players, she consistently falls short.

Griner relies too much on her God given ability...."I'll wait for the rebound instead of going after the rebound"

And i'm not hating on Griner...I picked her to win the MVP award...I thought Brittney would take her game to another level this season...Boy was I wrong.

Edit: It wasn't hype,it was the truth...WNBA 09 said Cambage is better than Griner...and Cambage proved him right,at least for 1 game...Let's see how the rest of the season plays out for both players.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 05/19/18 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Griner relies too much on her God given ability...."I'll wait for the rebound instead of going after the rebound"

And i'm not hating on Griner...I picked her to win the MVP award...I thought Brittney would take her game to another level this season...Boy was I wrong.

Edit: It wasn't hype,it was the truth...WNBA 09 said Cambage is better than Griner...and Cambage proved him right,at least for 1 game...Let's see how the rest of the season plays out for both players.

It's been one game.

Brit does get consistently outplayed by Sylvia. That's literally the only comparable center outside of Liz.

It's possible that Sylvia is simply better, it's also possible that Sylvia's team plays significantly better team defense on Brit, than Brit's team plays on Sylvia. (Or both, both is probably true.)

Liz had 18 points and 9 rebounds, Brit had 13 points and 7 rebounds, and her team won. It's not like Liz killed her.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Crazy seeing all this Liz Love...rewind 1 month ago and majority of the posters i see loving her were here biggest haters Laughing i caaant .
Zune excluded..

Not me, I was looking forward to this and was not disappointed by their battle.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/19/18 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
Zune excluded..

Not me, I was looking forward to this and was not disappointed by their battle.

+1 It was as good as advertised and will only get better.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 12:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bump

PostPosted: 05/19/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
NYL_WNBA_FAN wrote:
Pretty good basketball game for an early-season WNBA game. The ball movement, especially for Phoenix, was quite good. Cambage showed lots of skills she had not displayed previously in the WNBA, including the ability to drive off the dribble and pass. She's the first player we've ever seen who could take it right to Griner.

I thought Dallas' transition D hurt them in spots but that their halfcourt D was quite active. Cambage did a good job defensively but the 5 fouls are still a source of concern as that was a regular thing for her in her initial WNBA go-round. Dallas (again) stagnated offensively in the fourth quarter. Lots of sets designed for a one-on-one penetration by Diggins. Not much movement otherwise. That's been their pattern for the last few seasons.

On the other end, DT was the DT of old. Clearly rested and motivated, which is scary for the rest of the league. January adds leadership and defense. This is one of several teams that would have been a championship caliber team in the WNBA of 2006 or so, when there were 16 teams. As it is, they're not going to be an easy playoff out. If you look at teams like Phoenix, Atlanta and NY, they've each added elements to their teams that were completely missing a year ago. If it's Minnesota and LA hosting the semis, I'm not envisioning whoever they play to be an easy out this time around.

Dallas had no one in the 4th quarter attempting to be aggressive but Skylar. Because of her, they were able to cut Phoenix ‘s lead and only be down by 4 with about 2:30 left in the game. Not really impressed with Cambage. I thought she did a horrible job in the 4th quarter. She let Griner go right by her when they really needed a stop. It seemed like she just was just going through the motions.

There were times that I questioned Fred’s rotations. At some points in the game he left one scorer on the floor with 4 other players who were not scorers. The Mercury on the other hand had 2 or three scoring options on the floor.

Dallas is a young team and did not take advantage of it. I can see Phoenix wearing down at some point because they are an older team who is not that great defensively.

No one else was being aggressive because the team was in non-movement sets with nobody else touching the ball. Cambage played her first WNBA game in years and had 18 points and 4 assists while holding BG to 4-12 from the field. It's not uncommon to see games gravitate to the perimeter in the 4th quarter when the defense intensifies in the paint.

Not blaming Diggins but making a general point. They typically lose close games in the 4th quarter. The team typically relies too much on Diggins (not her fault) in the 4th quarter. There's a connection there...one that has nothing to do with Diggins, who is probably the league's the best PG, but a lot to do with the general structure of the team.

Last edited by NYL_WNBA_FAN on 05/19/18 12:51 pm; edited 3 times in total
Speebs56

PostPosted: 05/19/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As Clay said: "*AMD remains the worst announcer in women's basketball history, especially given her background in the game. She is so awful it made it hard to watch. "

The woman is AWFUL! How can she be intimately involved with the game and be so BAD???

And even though the pxp announcer had no trouble pronouncing AZURA's name correctly, it was butchered by AMD every time. UGH. She can't even get factual info right. I always dread PHX games with home announcing crew.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/19/18 12:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speebs56 wrote:
As Clay said: "*AMD remains the worst announcer in women's basketball history, especially given her background in the game. She is so awful it made it hard to watch. "

The woman is AWFUL! How can she be intimately involved with the game and be so BAD???

And even though the pxp announcer had no trouble pronouncing AZURA's name correctly, it was butchered by AMD every time. UGH. She can't even get factual info right. I always dread PHX games with home announcing crew.

I feel like she still lives in 1979 . Everything she hears and see's is not really happening.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
For what it's worth ...

*AMD remains the worst announcer in women's basketball history, especially given her background in the game. She is so awful it made it hard to watch.

*Cambage has all the tools to be great, but it looks like she's a little lazy (doesn't work before the entry pass to get deeper position) and not in great shape (wore down in fourth quarter). Those, however, are nitpicks -- that fullcourt pass off the dribble was something ...

*Typical early season WNBA game: Everyone, refs, players, coaches, were making bad decisions. The league generally takes a month or so to tighten up. (Good thing this was on NBA-TV so only diehards like us were watching.)

*Hope Glory is OK ... and note the announcers never referenced her relationship with Griner. That's fun stuff for the casual viewer ...

I have to disagree with that. Fred played her for long stretches at a time. Too long IMO with the high tempo of play that they want to play. In the past she would have been subbed after 4-5 minutes. Now she she played stretches of 10+ min.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
hangtyme24

PostPosted: 05/19/18 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
zune69 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
zune69 wrote:

It's been one game.

Brit does get consistently outplayed by Sylvia. That's literally the only comparable center outside of Liz.

It's possible that Sylvia is simply better, it's also possible that Sylvia's team plays significantly better team defense on Brit, than Brit's team plays on Sylvia. (Or both, both is probably true.)

Liz had 18 points and 9 rebounds, Brit had 13 points and 7 rebounds, and her team won. It's not like Liz killed her.

I wouldn’t say Liz killed her, but she did outplay BG, but it was just the first game, and the refs were pretty bad. I hope Glory Johnson is ok. I think Dallas will be a pretty good team once healthy and more practices together. Diggins-Smith didn’t have the best game shooting (6-19) but still recorded 18 points, 9 assists and 6 rebounds. I hope Dallas gets use to playing with Liz quick and get her more touches because they didn’t look for her enough like they should’ve in the second half. And how about that DT. Throwing ‘bows and all, did she find that fountain of youth? Looked good last night to me.

PostPosted: 05/19/18 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Too much is being made of one game IMO. Cambage looked good to start, but how many did she score in the second half? Part of the game is stamina and Griner has her beat there. Griner scored and defended in crunch time. If I am building a team, Griner > Cambage.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/19/18 1:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tally24 wrote:
Too much is being made of one game IMO. Cambage looked good to start, but how many did she score in the second half? Part of the game is stamina and Griner has her beat there. Griner scored and defended in crunch time. If I am building a team, Griner > Cambage.

If you actually watched closely is that Cambage was double teamed a lot of times in the 2nd half while first half was single coverage

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Colerr

PostPosted: 05/19/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

If you actually watched closely is that Cambage was double teamed a lot of times in the 2nd half while first half was single coverage

I also think Liz's low point total in the second half was due to her lack of touches too.

Aladyyn

PostPosted: 05/19/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colerr wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

I also think Liz's low point total in the second half was due to her lack of touches too.

She chucked it every time she touched it in the first half, so no wonder her teammates got tired of giving her the ball.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/19/18 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Colerr wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
Tally24 wrote:

She chucked it every time she touched it in the first half, so no wonder her teammates got tired of giving her the ball.

She was shooting 6 of 9 or something like that. You want her to average atleast 15 attempts per game if you want to win a lot of games.

Also i just saw that she played almost 36 minutes. No wonder that she was tired in the 2nd half.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 05/19/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think many of you who are down on Griner's performance are forgetting that she had to sit about 1/2 of the first quarter due to fouls. Most players, even the elite, have a hard time with the rhythm of the game when they have to sit early and for an extended period. And most don't get back into the flow, especially when they have to sit again when they start to get the rhythm. Griner was able to do that last night.

IMO, she was outplayed by Cambage in the 1st half but held her own (even with the double teaming) in the second half. Basically, she showed that Cambage can't really stop her either. Given a full game without foul worries and I believe Gringer will prevail.

I thought both were impressive that they could play with 5 fouls at crunch time and stay effective.

Granted, Griner seems to play very soft at times and has probably created some of the critic through her historical play. Personally, I think she is going to be a more motivated player this year and will surprise or please some people.

It is difficult to determine a lot from one game. I have had some concerns about the Mercury coming into the season but I felt that by the end of the game, the team was really playing well together and very motivated. They "felt" like the good Mercury teams of old. We started the game shooting in the low 30% and ended the game at 40%.

While there were bad calls last night, they were calls that went both ways. There was a variance at the line but not much of a difference in total fouls called and a couple of the extra fouls called on Dallas were at the end of the game when they were trying to get back in the game.

For all the expectations expressed over that this game was going to be aggressive, there was a lot of sportsmanship shown out there by both teams. After a harder than usual foul by Cambage on Griner, there was a small, low five exchange between the two (initiated by Cambage) that basically said, "No hard feelings." and "None taken."

Last, Penny was there but watching from a protected area with a baby stroller next to her. I believe she is still on the coaching staff (player developement) but doesn't need to be on the bench during games. The Mercury have a full time nursery now with a nanny/nurse for children of the players and staff.

sportsfan48

PostPosted: 05/19/18 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think many of you who are down on Griner's performance are forgetting that she had to sit about 1/2 of the first quarter due to fouls. Most players, even the elite, have a hard time with the rhythm of the game when they have to sit early and for an extended period. And most don't get back into the flow, especially when they have to sit again when they start to get the rhythm. Griner was able to do that last night.

IMO, she was outplayed by Cambage in the 1st half but held her own (even with the double teaming) in the second half. Basically, she showed that Cambage can't really stop her either. Given a full game without foul worries and I believe Gringer will prevail.

I thought both were impressive that they could play with 5 fouls at crunch time and stay effective.

Granted, Griner seems to play very soft at times and has probably created some of the critic through her historical play. Personally, I think she is going to be a more motivated player this year and will surprise or please some people.

It is difficult to determine a lot from one game. I have had some concerns about the Mercury coming into the season but I felt that by the end of the game, the team was really playing well together and very motivated. They "felt" like the good Mercury teams of old. We started the game shooting in the low 30% and ended the game at 40%.

While there were bad calls last night, they were calls that went both ways. There was a variance at the line but not much of a difference in total fouls called and a couple of the extra fouls called on Dallas were at the end of the game when they were trying to get back in the game.

For all the expectations expressed over that this game was going to be aggressive, there was a lot of sportsmanship shown out there by both teams. After a harder than usual foul by Cambage on Griner, there was a small, low five exchange between the two (initiated by Cambage) that basically said, "No hard feelings." and "None taken."

Last, Penny was there but watching from a protected area with a baby stroller next to her. I believe she is still on the coaching staff (player developement) but doesn't need to be on the bench during games. The Mercury have a full time nursery now with a nanny/nurse for children of the players and staff.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 05/19/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

Problem is that this happens too often with Griner. She gets in foul trouble too easy due to silly fouls. Just look at that frustration foul that was her 5th. I know she doesnt have a good example in Taurasi but come on use your own damn head.

bballgrl

PostPosted: 05/19/18 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Randy wrote:
Liz clearly outplayed Griner last night.

This isn't surprising. Last season Griner was consistently outplayed by other elite centers with size. There just aren't that many of them.

Yet Griner was the leading scorer dispite missing 8 games. Noone passed her and she probably would have won MVP. Yes Liz outplayed her last night and will probably do so again but that doesn't mean Griner is afraid of the lime light like someone on here posted. This was the 1st game of the season.

Also if you look at the minutes Griner played she only had like 5 pts less than Liz who played almost the entire game. Some of you need to get off Griner's back.

Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/19/18 6:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Zune excluded..

Ummmmm, excuse me???? My whole family has been in love with Liz since we ate alongside her on the club level last year when she was visiting and we saw how gorgeous and gracious she was!!!

hyperetic

PostPosted: 05/19/18 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay so Cambage showed up better than I thought she would in a game against BG. I can admit that. Hopefully this is a harbinger of more good things to come.
Skyfan22

PostPosted: 05/19/18 7:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:
Quote:

Problem is that this happens too often with Griner. She gets in foul trouble too easy due to silly fouls. Just look at that frustration foul that was her 5th. I know she doesnt have a good example in Taurasi but come on use your own damn head.

And look at all the fouls Griner commits that aren’t called. Lots and lots of questionable screens. Lots of man-handling. It’s like the league pre-ordained her as the MVP. In my opinion Taurasi’s 1000th 3 pointer cane on a terrible moving screen by Griner. As an ailing Sky fan from the Big Syl days, there was never a screen she set that if not perfect was not called.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: