RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Jim Foster Retires

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coyotes

PostPosted: 05/09/18 6:06 pm    ::: Jim Foster Retires Reply Reply with quote

I'm amazed that no one has started a thread for an individual who has contributed so much to the game over the years including giving Muffet and Geno jobs as an assistant coach.

ESPN has a great read. http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/23446332/jim-foster-made-immeasurable-contributions-women-basketball

It'll be interesting to see who Chattanooga can find for that job now. Chattanooga has some history as a thorny midmajor.

myrtle

PostPosted: 05/10/18 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for him. Happy retirement!

- Amanda Gorman
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 05/10/18 6:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I still remember that when he started at Vanderbilt in 1991, Coach Foster had to teach the players how to shoot threes.
Rolling Eyes Wink Very Happy

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/10/18 9:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Coach Foster had never left Vanderbilt for Ohio State, Vandy wouldn't be lost and floundering, and he'd be in the 1000 win club. Just my not-so-humble opinion.

PostPosted: 05/10/18 9:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
If Coach Foster had never left Vanderbilt for Ohio State, Vandy wouldn't be lost and floundering, and he'd be in the 1000 win club. Just my not-so-humble opinion.

he had a better winning percentage at both Ohio State and Chattanooga than he did at Vandy. He lost 122 games after leaving the Commodores. He would have had to win 97 of them to reach the 1000 win club. That seems like a long shot.

PostPosted: 05/10/18 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

he had a better winning percentage at both Ohio State and Chattanooga than he did at Vandy. He lost 122 games after leaving the Commodores. He would have had to win 97 of them to reach the 1000 win club. That seems like a long shot.

B1G WBB was not then (still isn't, for that matter) the equivalent of the SEC version. He was still developing the program at Vandy when he left. He never took tOSU nearly as far as he took Vandy in the NCAA, nor, on the whole, was he able to recruit the quality players he could at Vandy. Vandy went to hell after he left and you know that's true. As far as Chattanooga, that's a different level and a different conference and there's no point in going there. That was almost recreational coaching for him Wink He did it because he enjoyed it.

PostPosted: 05/11/18 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

B1G WBB was not then (still isn't, for that matter) the equivalent of the SEC version. He was still developing the program at Vandy when he left. He never took tOSU nearly as far as he took Vandy in the NCAA, nor, on the whole, was he able to recruit the quality players he could at Vandy. Vandy went to hell after he left and you know that's true. As far as Chattanooga, that's a different level and a different conference and there's no point in going there. That was almost recreational coaching for him Wink He did it because he enjoyed it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you all the things you listed don't really support your notion that he would have passed the 1,000 win mark if he stayed at Vanderbilt.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/11/18 8:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you all the things you listed don't really support your notion that he would have passed the 1,000 win mark if he stayed at Vanderbilt.

You may be misunderstanding, but that's okay. You can have your opinion, I have mine.

PostPosted: 05/11/18 9:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always liked the guy, from what little I knew of him. I still think he should have taken Prahalis and Lavender's team farther, but....them's the breaks. Still an impressive body of work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: