RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

China vs USA - 4/26/18

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 04/26/18 2:11 am    ::: China vs USA - 4/26/18 Reply Reply with quote

Team USA Exhibition
Seattle, WA - 10:00 PM ET

TV: None

Video:
<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/72DHusudQNo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allow full screen></iframe></embed>
https://youtu.be/72DHusudQNo
https://www.youtube.com/user/therealusabasketball
https://www.usab.com/live

USA Roster
Seimone Augustus (Minnesota Lynx)
Sue Bird (Seattle Storm)
Layshia Clarendon (Atlanta Dream)
Elena Delle Donne (Washington Mystics)
Skylar Diggins-Smith (Dallas Wings)
Stefanie Dolson (Chicago Sky)
Sylvia Fowles (Minnesota Lynx)
Tiffany Hayes (Atlanta Dream)
Jewell Loyd (Seattle Storm)
Kelsey Mitchell (Indiana Fever)
Breanna Stewart (Seattle Storm)
Diana Taurasi (Phoenix Mercury)
Elizabeth Williams (Atlanta Dream)

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 04/26/18 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
sigur3

PostPosted: 04/26/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD out with a neck strain. Tuck replaces her.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/18 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sigur3 wrote:
EDD out with a neck strain. Tuck replaces her.

Wait, Delle Donne is injured/ill and will miss a game? Surely not!

PostPosted: 04/26/18 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Shades and yes another missed game and doesn't play year round Shocked

sigur3

PostPosted: 04/26/18 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh noes, it's too early in the year for Dick Fain...

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/26/18 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A couple players could pick up a weight watchers endorsement.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 04/26/18 10:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wellllll, a number of the newbies particularly Clarendon, Loyd and Dolson have had some nice minutes.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/26/18 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

that was pretty uninspiring.
and 4-17 from 3 is Shocked

- Amanda Gorman
awhom111

PostPosted: 04/26/18 11:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Boxscore:
https://www.usab.com/news-events/live-stats/2018/2018-wnt-v-chn-box-score.aspx

In addition to Li Yueru, Han Xu is a 2019 draft prospect. She is more raw, but has more defensive tools to work with. Li is further along on offense, but she will need to work harder to get to a WNBA level down the line.
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/27/18 5:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
A couple players could pick up a weight watchers endorsement.

Dolson, Tuck and Augustus look like they need a good training camp before the season starts

I really like the post duo of Fowles and Stewie on both sides of the court. Like to see more of that in the future

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/27/18 7:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the little I paid attention to (I had it on until halftime, but Bucks-Celtics as well so my attention was split), Clarendon was the one that looked heavy to me. But sometimes it's just the cut of the unis, or extra padding to protect an injury, or even just a crappy camera angle. I'll wait until the season proper to worry about anyone being in game shape.

Thought it was interesting that, for all we go on about Team USA's depth, they looked vastly better whenever at least three starters were on the floor. Of course part of that's chemistry, but we sometimes forget that that's always where other countries have had the edge on the US. Their core groups often play together for long stretches over a decade or more, and usually with more training time than the US. Chemistry's a double-edged sword for the Americans - it's probably part of why they let key players stick around so long, but it's also why you need to bring others through, so that there's at least a little chemistry to work with when the old guard finally quits.

If you sent a US team to Worlds based on last night's bench, they'd still be the most talented team at the tournament, and favourites. But man their margin of error would be vastly lower (and at times they'd probably look like complete strangers to each other).

PostPosted: 04/27/18 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Actually thought Mitchell was the worst of the weight watchers crew, the gut over the shorts, reminded me of the refrigerator repair man.

The starting 5 were the starting 5 of this group from there I only really thought Diggins played USA basketball. Watching Hayes always makes me wonder did she really play at Uconn. Her game does not scream Uconn.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/27/18 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
In the little I paid attention to (I had it on until halftime, but Bucks-Celtics as well so my attention was split), Clarendon was the one that looked heavy to me. But sometimes it's just the cut of the unis, or extra padding to protect an injury, or even just a crappy camera angle. I'll wait until the season proper to worry about anyone being in game shape.

Thought it was interesting that, for all we go on about Team USA's depth, they looked vastly better whenever at least three starters were on the floor. Of course part of that's chemistry, but we sometimes forget that that's always where other countries have had the edge on the US. Their core groups often play together for long stretches over a decade or more, and usually with more training time than the US. Chemistry's a double-edged sword for the Americans - it's probably part of why they let key players stick around so long, but it's also why you need to bring others through, so that there's at least a little chemistry to work with when the old guard finally quits.

If you sent a US team to Worlds based on last night's bench, they'd still be the most talented team at the tournament, and favourites. But man their margin of error would be vastly lower (and at times they'd probably look like complete strangers to each other).

The starters were rolling in the first half of the quarter. A lot of ballmovement and unselfish play. Then a lot of subs came in and to me it turned into a lot of iso ball with a lot of quick shots. Also i didnt like the lack of defensive rebounding.

But tbh most of the bench players are not going to make the team.
You still miss Maya, McCoughtry, Griner, Charles and EDD (out with a neckstrain). Those players all could start.

Teamchemistry is soo underrated.

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/27/18 3:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The other thing that is clearly underrated is IQ. Quite a few showing they resort to iso as they don’t watch and use that to play the game the way it is supposed to be played at this level, they just go back to their bad habits.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/27/18 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
The other thing that is clearly underrated is IQ. Quite a few showing they resort to iso as they don’t watch and use that to play the game the way it is supposed to be played at this level, they just go back to their bad habits.

They were very eager to show what they can do. But its not what they can do normally but what they can do that fits this team and adds to this team.
If you play 2 vets and 3 of the bench that you can see that they settle down. But when 5 of the bench were playing they all wanted to score or lead the team. For example Loyd looked like she pressured too much on some of her drives. Yes she was maybe fouled on 1 or 2 of them but still.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/27/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looked like a lot of driving to the basket...and undervaluing 3-point shooting. Sort of how Dawn's teams play anyway. I love watching inside out play so this looked pretty uninspiring/mediocre to me.

- Amanda Gorman
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/27/18 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
It looked like a lot of driving to the basket...and undervaluing 3-point shooting. Sort of how Dawn's teams play anyway. I love watching inside out play so this looked pretty uninspiring/mediocre to me.

Yeah i agree but the 3pointshooting wasnt exactly on point either. 3 of 17 yikes

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/27/18 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Michelle89"][quote="bballjunkie"]The other thing that is clearly underrated is IQ. Quite a few showing they resort to iso as they don’t watch and use that to play the game the way it is supposed to be played at this level, they just go back to their bad habits.[/quote]

They were very eager to show what they can do. But its not what they can do normally but what they can do that fits this team and adds to this team.
If you play 2 vets and 3 of the bench that you can see that they settle down. But when 5 of the bench were playing they all wanted to score or lead the team. For example Loyd looked like she pressured too much on some of her drives. Yes she was maybe fouled on 1 or 2 of them but still.[/quote]

I agree about Lloyd but that is what she does. She has never been shy about shooting only passing.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/27/18 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="Michelle89"][quote="myrtle"]It looked like a lot of driving to the basket...and undervaluing 3-point shooting. Sort of how Dawn's teams play anyway. I love watching inside out play so this looked pretty uninspiring/mediocre to me.[/quote]

Yeah i agree but the 3pointshooting wasnt exactly on point either. 3 of 17 yikes[/quote]

Probably due to a lack of 3 point shooters in that group. I would have zoned the US the whole game.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/27/18 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah i agree but the 3pointshooting wasnt exactly on point either. 3 of 17 yikes

Probably due to a lack of 3 point shooters in that group. I would have zoned the US the whole game.

And allow Sylvia to destroy your team on the glass ?

PostPosted: 04/27/18 5:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Except we did not O board very well, which is another reason I would have zoned but Big Syl is a beast and you could crowd her with a zone if you sag, as there is no real 3 point threat other than DT.

Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/27/18 5:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
bballjunkie wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:
myrtle wrote:

And allow Sylvia to destroy your team on the glass ?

Sylvia only came back in after they were sucking for atleast 4-5 min

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/27/18 6:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Except we did not O board very well, which is another reason I would have zoned but Big Syl is a beast and you could crowd her with a zone if you sag, as there is no real 3 point threat other than DT.

Might want to include the top 3 pt shooter by percentage from last season - Chelsea Gray.

~rAf
Michelle89

PostPosted: 04/27/18 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:

Id say from the starters that Bird and Stewie (next to DT) are pretty 3pointshooters to put around Syl. But yes from that bench line-up its harder to do but tbh the bench line-up from the Olympics/Worlds didnt have the best 3pointshooters either. They relied on speed and transistion so there is a way around that but you need to play together and be unselfish

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: