RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Ridiculously early commits (2020 and beyond)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/17/18 9:12 pm    ::: Ridiculously early commits (2020 and beyond) Reply Reply with quote

Bailey Williams, G out of Cosby HS, Midlothian, VA, has verballed to JMU for 2020 per her own tweet and one from Michael Bland.

PostPosted: 04/22/18 6:56 pm    ::: Re: Ridiculously early commits (2020 and beyond) Reply Reply with quote

Not a commitment--yet--but another little girl with an overeager father-coach.
https://www.ksat.com/sports/sa-5-year-old-girls-basketball-skills-may-lead-her-to-wnba-dream

summertime blues

PostPosted: 05/21/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Makailah Griggs-Zeigler, combo G/F out of Wayne Memorial HS in Detroit, commits to Michigan for 2020. http://www.mlive.com/sports/detroit/2018/05/griggs-zeigler_lives_dream_by.html

PostPosted: 05/29/18 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loyal McQueen, 5-7 PG, Wilson HS (Florence, SC–2020), has announced her commitment to North Carolina.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1001124559817527296

McQueen is ranked 54th by Dan Olson/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/16/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2020 Alli Campbell, 5-11 point guard from Altoona, PA, has given a verbal commitment to Notre Dame.

Ranked 15 by Blue Star, 24 by Hoopgurlz.

Was Pennsylvania Gatorade POY this year as a sophomore.

Member of the Philly Belles. (Muffett has also gotten Mikayla Vaughn and Danielle Cosgrove off the Philadelphia Belles in the past two years. A good relationship to have.)

Alli committed last month but was on campus for a visit this past Saturday.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/16/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ASGR RECRUITING RANKINGS - ACC COMMITMENTS
Class of 2020
Update – October 9, 2018

13. Allison Campbell (Notre Dame)
23. Merissah Russell (Louisville)
49. Loyal McQueen (North Carolina)
83. Elle Sutphin (NC State)

NOTE: The following recently committed players are not listed among the commitments for their respective schools in the updated 2020 class rankings:
-- Kennedy Todd-Williams (North Carolina)

ACC Class Rankings - Class of 2020 (ASGR)
https://asgrbasketball.com/breaking-top-25-update-campbell-commits-to-notre-dame-in-acc-recruiting-2020-class-rankings-muffetmcgraw-nathanasgr/

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/16/18 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prospects Nation recently release its Elite 60 Rankings for the Class of 2020.
https://prospectsnation.com/players/ranked/2020

ACC COMMITMENTS
26. Allison Campbell (Notre Dame)
45. Kennedy Todd-Williams (North Carolina)
48. Loyal McQueen (North Carolina)
59. Elle Sutphin (NC State)

NOTE: Merissah Russell (Louisville) is a Canadian player, who would not be ranked on the high school list, but on Prospects Nation's international list. PN has yet to release its rankings of international players for 2019.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/24/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EspnW Super 60 #-22 Deja Kelly (5-8 PG/2 Dallas, TX/Duncanville 2020) has decided to re-open her recruitment; Texas is still in consideration.

-- Dan Olson (Collegiate Girls Basketball Report and Director, espnW Hoopgurlz)
https://twitter.com/CGBR27/status/1055101934607233024

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/30/18 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cameron Brink (2020) to Stanford.

She is a top-five player in the Class of 2020.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1056945242560176129

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/30/18 4:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

Maybe she'll bring her AAU teammate Haley Jones along for the ride.

Very Happy Very Happy

- Amanda Gorman
ucbart

PostPosted: 11/01/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy

Is there really any doubt that Jones is going to Stanford?

purduefanatic

PostPosted: 11/01/18 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Madison Layden (#32 Prospect Nation) committed to Purdue. She is a 6'1 PG that has a ton of versatility. A couple of her former AAU teammates are also going to Purdue. Her mom is her HS coach...always loved having coaches' kids. Having seen this kid play a few times, this is a really good get for Purdue. She is very skilled, sees the court extremely well and can shoot the ball while having decent athleticism.

Article from the local Kokomo paper: http://www.kokomotribune.com/sports/girls-bb-nw-s-layden-commits-to-boilers/article_cfa2c67e-c52f-11e8-a277-eff73d89858e.html

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/01/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy

Quite a bit ... the feeling here in NorCal is that she's bound for Connecticut.

PostPosted: 11/01/18 1:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy

I'll be surprised if she doesn't.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/01/18 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
myrtle wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy

Surely someone smart enough to get into Stanford, like Jones, is smart enough to have doubts about a coach:

-- who has not won a national championship in this century or even this millennium

-- who has only developed two players sufficiently to make the U.S. Olympic team, and only when she was the head coach in 1996 to select them, and hence none in almost a quarter century

-- who runs a woodenly mechanical triangle offense

-- whose teams are often upset in the NCAA tournament

-- whose players have never, ever won a Nobel Prize

-- who secretly runs a coven of witches in the Purisima Creek Redwood Preserve and dispenses potions made of "eye of newt and toe of frog, wool of bat and tongue of dog, adder's fork and blind-worm's sting, lizard's leg and owlet's wing" (or so they told us folks who were born on Halloween)
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 11/01/18 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
-- who has not won a national championship in this century or even this millennium

I guess 7 Final Fours in the last 11 years is abject failure.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
-- who has only developed two players sufficiently to make the U.S. Olympic team, and only when she was the head coach in 1996 to select them, and hence none in almost a quarter century

...who, in the last 11 years, had three players taken in the top three picks of WNBA drafts, including two #1 picks.

...who, had those players winning WNBA Sixth Woman of the Year (Wiggins), WNBA MVP (Nneka), WNBA Rookie of the Year (Nneka, Chiney), plus WNBA All-Star berths, All-WNBA teams, and WNBA championships (not to mention World Championship gold medals)

GlennMacGrady wrote:
-- who runs a woodenly mechanical triangle offense

...that somehow beat UConn by double-digits to end the Huskies' 90-game winning streak.

...that somehow beat UConn to end the Huskies' 47-game winning streak, defeating a team with Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck, and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/01/18 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm of the view that the coach, the team, and basketball in general are all a distant second for most WBB recruits who choose Stanford. I think most of them choose Stanford because they want to go to college at Stanford. Basketball prowess gives them a huge admissions advantage and a full scholarship. If they've worked hard enough in school to get in and gone through the hassle of applying, they're probably serious about wanting to go there.

They could pick a random name out of the San Francisco phone book as the next coach and 75% of the young women basketball recruits who actually pick Stanford would probably still pick Stanford.

That they can play major successful basketball is just a bonus. That they haven't really come close to a championship since any of them were born is totally irrelevant.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/01/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Cam, you've oft taken me too seriously for 18 years now. But if we want to be serious, my burden on this issue is not to demonstrate that Tara is a bad coach, but simply to offer evidence that might create "any doubt" (Bart's criterion) as to whether Haley Jones should go to Stanford instead of UConn.

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
I guess 7 Final Fours in the last 11 years is abject failure.

The failure is even more abject than that. Tara has failed in every NCAA tournament crunch game not only in the last 11 years, but in the last 25 years, since her national championship in 1992. Geno has won 11 national championship games during that same period. (Any doubts, Haley?)

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
...that somehow beat UConn by double-digits to end the Huskies' 90-game winning streak.

...that somehow beat UConn to end the Huskies' 47-game winning streak, defeating a team with Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson, Morgan Tuck, and Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis

Sure, Tara's had some great teams. But Geno is 12-7 against Tara all-time and 12-4 since 1993. (Any doubts, Haley?)

I think these facts are sufficient to create "any" doubt.

Then, of course, there's the Shakespeare in Connecticut.
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/01/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coach actually pretty much went away from the triangle offense last year and is looking to instill more 'speed'...so we shall see. Also it's hard to call the triangle mechanical since it's based on continually making reads. Smart reads lead to good offense. Dumb reads lead to turnovers. But I think she's trying to adjust to the newer level of athlete.

Then there is the er, quality of education factor.

If Jones is wanting to go to the current #1 in basketball land, and still get quality education, that would be Notre Dame.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 11/01/18 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If Jones is wanting to go to the current #1 in basketball land, and still get quality education, that would be Notre Dame.

Ohhh, *snap!*, Myrtle! THAT was Zingalicious!! Cool

PostPosted: 11/02/18 3:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Coach actually pretty much went away from the triangle offense last year and is looking to instill more 'speed'...so we shall see. Also it's hard to call the triangle mechanical since it's based on continually making reads. Smart reads lead to good offense. Dumb reads lead to turnovers. But I think she's trying to adjust to the newer level of athlete.

That's all may be true, and I've said in the UConn thread that Stanford should be the easy choice for Jones for many reasons. But from all the reports I've read about the recruiting of Jones and her interests -- including reports that in the seventh grade her teammates called her "Baby UConn" -- I don't see how anyone can say there's not any doubt that Jones will pick Stanford. It's such a modest claim that I don't understand the push-back.
ClayK

PostPosted: 11/02/18 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Haley Jones goes to Stanford, she will be spending her college years 45 miles from home ... and a lot of kids would rather be farther away from home than that.

On the other hand, a lot of kids don't, and I don't think anyone here has any idea if distance from home is an issue for Haley Jones. Or for that matter, what other factors are critical in her decision.

But again, I'll say that the received wisdom in NorCal -- which, granted, counts for about as much as a TMZ rumor -- is that Jones' lean is UConn.

PostPosted: 11/02/18 12:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

45 miles seems almost the perfect distance to be away from parents. Too far away to expect frequent visits, but close enough so homesickness or whatever doesn’t become a factor.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/02/18 12:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I here ya Myrtle. Tara had to go away from the triangle due to lack of understanding. Quite frankly I don't think the players are as smart as they used to be about basketball. When players get it, it can be a thing of beauty.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/02/18 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
myrtle wrote:

That's all may be true, and I've said in the UConn thread that Stanford should be the easy choice for Jones for many reasons. But from all the reports I've read about the recruiting of Jones and her interests -- including reports that in the seventh grade her teammates called her "Baby UConn" -- I don't see how anyone can say there's not any doubt that Jones will pick Stanford. It's such a modest claim that I don't understand the push-back.

I agree it's certainly not set in stone, or we would all know about it. I'm with Clay in that I've heard she's long leaned toward UConn. But I also think the situation has changed quite a bit over the past few years, so who knows what she is currently thinking? None of us! I wish her the best wherever she goes.

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: