RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tina Thompson named new UVA HC!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stever

PostPosted: 04/16/18 3:20 pm    ::: Tina Thompson named new UVA HC! Reply Reply with quote

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041618aaa.html

Quote:
"I am thrilled to have Tina Thompson as our new women's basketball coach," Williams said. "She is one of the best to ever play the game and she has experienced tremendous success at all levels of the game. I am looking forward to working with her and supporting her vision for Virginia basketball.

"She has a strong commitment to and passion for developing confident, successful women. As a coach, she has proven to be a tremendous teacher and recruiter. I'm excited for the future of our program."

Speebs56

PostPosted: 04/16/18 3:29 pm    ::: Re: Tina Thompson named new UVA HC! Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041618aaa.html

Quote:
"I am thrilled to have Tina Thompson as our new women's basketball coach," Williams said. "She is one of the best to ever play the game and she has experienced tremendous success at all levels of the game. I am looking forward to working with her and supporting her vision for Virginia basketball.

"She has a strong commitment to and passion for developing confident, successful women. As a coach, she has proven to be a tremendous teacher and recruiter. I'm excited for the future of our program."

WOW WOW WOW!! This is going to be fun to watch. Wish Tina all the best.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/16/18 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

excited for Tina. one of my all-time favs. She should be able to compete for recruits. I mean, who wouldn't want to play for her?

- Amanda Gorman
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/16/18 4:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well that's two gambles so far on P5 schools hiring big name ex-players with little or no coaching experience (and certainly zero head coaching experience).

Good luck to Minn and UVA but there's just no track record supporting the notion that great players automatically make great coaches.

They do, however, make big publicity splashes for athletic directors struggling to find someone who will accept the position they're offering.

justintyme

PostPosted: 04/16/18 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Well that's two gambles so far on P5 schools hiring big name ex-players with little or no coaching experience (and certainly zero head coaching experience).

Good luck to Minn and UVA but there's just no track record supporting the notion that great players automatically make great coaches.

They do, however, make big publicity splashes for athletic directors struggling to find someone who will accept the position they're offering.

There is also no track record to suggest any hire will automatically make great coaches. Even those with coaching experience.

The track record with ex players is the same as ex assistant coaches: some will succeed, most will fail.

There are times hires like these make sense and there are times they don't. But publicity is a good thing as it increases the profile of a program, so going with a name that will bring it is a positive, as long as the person you hire has the other qualities you are after.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

That's an interesting turnaround from when you were saying coaching experience isn't the only experience that's relevant to becoming a coach and saying Kevin Ollie and Dawn Staley were good hires even though they combined for less coaching experience than Thompson has when they were first hired.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At least Tina has 3 years assisting at a top level University. She doesn't have the 10 years of many new HCs, but she has a heck of a lot of bball experience that most of them don't have. I expect her transition to be easier than Whalen's who has the bball experience but, as far as I know, has no coaching experience whatsoever.

- Amanda Gorman
Genero36

PostPosted: 04/16/18 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nothing but the best for The Warrior Queen!

PostPosted: 04/16/18 9:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hopefully she will have some good ACs who know recruiting in the area.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/18 7:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
At least Tina has 3 years assisting at a top level University. She doesn't have the 10 years of many new HCs, but she has a heck of a lot of bball experience that most of them don't have. I expect her transition to be easier than Whalen's who has the bball experience but, as far as I know, has no coaching experience whatsoever.

If you look at the AP top 25 you'll see that every one of those coaches had more bench time than Thompson or Whalen before taking their current job.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 9:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three years as an assistant is a significant amount of experience, and way, way better than zero.

Of course everyone can improve, and experience helps, but Thompson has spent her whole adult life in the profession of basketball, so three years for her probably counts as much as seven or eight or ten for someone who didn't play professionally.

That said, as pointed out, it's still a gamble ...

PostPosted: 04/17/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for her! Will be interesting to see what she can do with the program.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/17/18 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ouch for Texas in training their bigs and new big recruits...

Moving to the big seat ain't like sitting next to one but if anyone can do it...

Randy

PostPosted: 04/17/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Good for her. She seemed to bring so much intensity to the game - her recruits better be ready to play!!

Genero36

PostPosted: 04/27/18 5:05 pm    ::: Re: Tina Thompson named new UVA HC! Reply Reply with quote

<embed><iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/B5zlY5jhbXI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5zlY5jhbXI

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: