RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Vadeeva, Musina plan to show up.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toad455

PostPosted: 04/16/18 9:36 am    ::: Vadeeva, Musina plan to show up. Reply Reply with quote

https://www.bluestarmedia.org/q-and-a-with-wnba-draftees-maria-vadeeva-and-raisa-musina-in-their-own-words/

Quote:
Are you ready to fight with the strongest basketball players of the world for a place on the floor?

Vadeeva: – I have already been sent a contract, I signed it. Of course, it will not be easy, and it would be easier to get into the team in a team that does not claim the title. But among the strongest there are more chances to progress. And who said that I will definitely have problems with the game time? I will try, prove that I deserve to play a lot. It all depends on me.

Musina: – First you need to get into the squad for the season. Already in May, a training camp begins, you need to show yourself to go to the team. But I’m ready.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/16/18 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I enjoyed that, along with the linked piece "Europeans mocking the WNBA 2018 Draft as it underlines the lack of global game view Stateside"
https://www.bluestarmedia.org/europeans-mocking-the-wnba-2018-draft-as-it-underlines-the-lack-of-global-game-view-stateside/
... where he has a big rant about the lack of awareness/respect of the WNBA recruiters, which to me came off as kind of ironic as he criticised the GMs and media for being America-centric whilst being seemingly oblivious to the need for WNBA teams to actually get value from their high draft picks.
If a rich Russian team can get Diana Taurasi to stay away from the WNBA then they sure as heck can get their homeland poster girl Maria Vadeeva to do the same.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
I enjoyed that, along with the linked piece "Europeans mocking the WNBA 2018 Draft as it underlines the lack of global game view Stateside"
https://www.bluestarmedia.org/europeans-mocking-the-wnba-2018-draft-as-it-underlines-the-lack-of-global-game-view-stateside/
... where he has a big rant about the lack of awareness/respect of the WNBA recruiters, which to me came off as kind of ironic as he criticised the GMs and media for being America-centric whilst being seemingly oblivious to the need for WNBA teams to actually get value from their high draft picks.
If a rich Russian team can get Diana Taurasi to stay away from the WNBA then they sure as heck can get their homeland poster girl Maria Vadeeva to do the same.

I felt that article made it seem the WNBA NEEDS vadeeva Laughing I couldnt disagree more to be honest . This guy seemed a bit bias and upset his hard effort and publishing articles stating crazy things like "Vadeeva will be #1 " and now has to save face for the embarrassment of her dropping to 11.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Park is reportedly interested in coming over immediately as well, although there may be a little more red tape involved.
toad455

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Park is reportedly interested in coming over immediately as well, although there may be a little more red tape involved.

Interesting as Vegas doesn't really need her this season. Wonder if Park can play the 4? This would bump Hamby out of a job possibly.

awhom111

PostPosted: 04/17/18 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
awhom111 wrote:

Interesting as Vegas doesn't really need her this season. Wonder if Park can play the 4? This would bump Hamby out of a job possibly.

No, I don't know how tall she will measure in the WNBA system, but she's way too immobile to guard anything other than a 5 even though she moves her feet relatively well.
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/18 4:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

Yeah, I like Paul, he's a nice guy and his dedication to the women's game is pretty incredible, but that 'mocking' article is nonsense. WNBA teams will start valuing and paying attention to the overseas market when those players start reliably showing up and providing value. Hell, it could start right now if Vadeeva and Musina (and even Park or Reisingerova) show up for multiple years and show they should've been drafted higher.

In remotely recent times we've got Meesseman and... who? that should've gone higher from the overseas contingent? It's not like it's a long list of non-Americans who proved WNBA GMs wrong.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 5:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9z3MBLvmtyI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ClayK

PostPosted: 04/17/18 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted this reply:

The biggest reason Vadeeva dropped in the draft is not her skill level, but concerns about how often she will be available during the course of her career. Europeans, for a variety of good reasons, often skip WNBA seasons, and are much more likely to do so than Americans. As someone once said, the best ability is availability, and if Vadeeva only plays one or two out of every three seasons, her value to a franchise may well be less than a less talented American player who's there for every game.

That said, American ignorance of European basketball is widespread, no question, and there is an ingrained belief that the American players are inherently better, which is unfortunately typical of all nations and regions when it comes to their home-country/area biases

PostPosted: 04/17/18 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thinking ahead for 2019, there's two foreigners available for the draft. Australia's Ezi Magbegor & China's Li Yueru. China's players have a history of 1.) Not showing up & 2.) Not playing well in the WNBA. Li looks a bit soft for the WNBA, so I wonder if she's interested in showing up at all. I'm sure others will pop up, but for now Ezi looks like a potential first round pick.

root_thing

PostPosted: 04/17/18 10:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you watch college basketball, this idea that American coaches are not aware of foreign players is total bullshit. You see more and more foreign players every year on college teams. Some programs, like South Florida, are dominated by foreign players. Even a mid-major like Buffalo had 4 Australians, 2 Canadians, and 1 Nigerian. Maybe fans aren't aware of foreign players, but I guarantee you that between coaches, GMs, scouts and agents, there are Americans scouring the planet looking for them.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
If you watch college basketball, this idea that American coaches are not aware of foreign players is total bullshit. You see more and more foreign players every year on college teams. Some programs, like South Florida, are dominated by foreign players. Even a mid-major like Buffalo had 4 Australians, 2 Canadians, and 1 Nigerian. Maybe fans aren't aware of foreign players, but I guarantee you that between coaches, GMs, scouts and agents, there are Americans scouring the planet looking for them.

Agree. Almost all of the top college teams and large Universities have a foreign player or more on their squads. And the pros are constantly looking at the foreign market for talent.

WNBA first round foreign player picks: Vadeeva, Nurse, Gulich...25% of the first round players taken...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: