RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Possibility of Team Name Ever Being On Front of Jersey Again
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/15/18 10:10 pm    ::: Possibility of Team Name Ever Being On Front of Jersey Again Reply Reply with quote

Any possibility? From postings across the net, it really seems to urk a lot of fans (including myself).
NYL_WNBA_FAN

PostPosted: 04/15/18 10:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd rather have a league with sponsors on jerseys than no league at all. There's a reason sponsors are actively sought out. The league isn't popular enough to succeed on popularity alone.

PostPosted: 04/15/18 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Personally, I think fans need to get over it. That is valuable real estate to sell for a league that needs as many creative revenue streams as they can find.

I mean, there are no names plastered across the front of Premier League (or any European soccer league, for that matter) jerseys, so the idea that they are essential doesn't make much sense.

PostPosted: 04/15/18 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fans should be given the option of buying jerseys that don't have the sponsors name on the front.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/16/18 7:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sure, it'll be on the front for teams that can't sell the space, or have an owner with money to burn who prefers to turn down the income stream in favour of putting the name/city there.

I don't see not having it front and centre as a big deal; but I would like to see them make an effort to incorporate the name/city elsewhere in the uniforms. Not like it'd be hard to write them down the sides. It'd make them more visually interesting as well, and from my perspective more appealing to buy as a replica.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But why can't the logo be shrunk moved to the upper left of the corporate logo?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/16/18 9:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
But why can't the logo be shrunk moved to the upper left of the corporate logo?

At this point, because that's valuable real estate as well. One side gets the Nike/adidas logo, and the other is room for a different advert. I presume that whatever they may have lost in replica jersey sales is more than set off by the income from the ads.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect it bothers the fans more than the players themselves.

Many WNBA players who play overseas in the offseason wear unis with various sponsor names on them. So, I would imagine most of them are used to it by now.

At least, be glad the WNBA doesn't use the Japanese Baseball League model: instead of teams being named after the city or region they are in, they are named after their sponsors or the company that owns them. (examples: instead of the Tokyo Giants, it's the Yomiuri [news media company] Giants. Instead of the Sapporo Fighters, it's the Nippon Ham Fighters.)

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i hate corporate names that dominate uniforms.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
i hate corporate names that dominate uniforms.

word

hyperetic

PostPosted: 04/16/18 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I get the revenue thing. But aren't jersey sales a revenue thing too? Those pointing out that foreign leagues don't have a problem with it are not taking into consideration that this is an American league. American leagues (in general) have the team name on front. There may come a time when the Euro model is implemented more widely but as of right now, they are mainly prominent and on the front.

Maybe put the team name up near the collar on the front. That leaves plenty of room for ad-space. Not having it on the front just seems lacking to those used to American style jerseys.
justintyme

PostPosted: 04/16/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hyperetic wrote:
I get the revenue thing. But aren't jersey sales a revenue thing too?

Oh, absolutely.

But that is the real metric right there for the leagues to figure out. I am sure they have calculated the expected loss in revenue for jersey sales by doing this, versus money made by sponsors. For a league like the WNBA the money from the sponsors is going to win that in a landslide.

For leagues like the NBA, NFL, NHL, etc, where jersey sales are more significant that metric likely changes (otherwise make no mistake, they would be selling the space as well). What we have started seeing in those leagues is a shift towards what the WNBA is doing. Sponsors' names are appearing on the jerseys along with the name. This is liking feeling out the water to see what effect that has on sales. The end goal is almost certainly to end up where the WNBA jerseys are at, but slowly acclimating fans to it so that there won't be any fall off.

The other key is to choose sponsors that fans don't mind wearing. In the case of the Lynx, I didn't even blink before buying a jersey with "Mayo Clinic" on it, mostly because I love that clinic and that it is an elite Minnesota institution. On the other hand, if Chick-Fil-A or Hobby Lobby were the sponsors, I wouldn't be caught dead in it.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly don't get the negative. What difference does it make? We know what team it is, and we know who the players are.

I confess it bothered me in European soccer for a long time, and still does intermittently, because I couldn't tell which team was which, but that's hardly an issue in the 12-team WNBA.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I honestly don't get the negative. What difference does it make? We know what team it is, and we know who the players are.

I confess it bothered me in European soccer for a long time, and still does intermittently, because I couldn't tell which team was which, but that's hardly an issue in the 12-team WNBA.

Badge of honor, this is who I support. This is my group that I belong to. We all rep this team. These types of people don't want to have to be asked, "Which team?" Potential fans may not know that this company sponsors the Lynx or that company sponsors the Fever.
zune69

PostPosted: 04/16/18 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine owning a WNBA jersey that has the name "Enron","Myspace","AOL", or "Blockbuster" on it? Laughing

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/16/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've owned soccer jerseys with Hafnia (a Danish canned meat company that's long ceased to exist), NEC (Japanese tech company), One2One (mobile phone company now under a different name) and Chang (Thai beer brewer) written on them. All for the same team. So what?

The different logos become part of the history and memories of the era, signifying a period in the team's evolution. Teams sell retro jerseys these days that feature those same logos, often of long-dead companies. I know uniforms have a different history in the US, but you'd honestly get used to it, especially if they made more effort at integration. There's been so little effort at flowing into a middle ground with the WNBA - they largely just dumped the names and replaced wth a big logo. The NBA, where the league gives a shit, is easing into it much more gradually.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Imagine owning a WNBA jersey that has the name "Enron","Myspace","AOL", or "Blockbuster" on it? Laughing

well, AOL is still around.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
justintyme

PostPosted: 04/16/18 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I've owned soccer jerseys with Hafnia (a Danish canned meat company that's long ceased to exist), NEC (Japanese tech company), One2One (mobile phone company now under a different name) and Chang (Thai beer brewer) written on them. All for the same team. So what?

The different logos become part of the history and memories of the era, signifying a period in the team's evolution. Teams sell retro jerseys these days that feature those same logos, often of long-dead companies. I know uniforms have a different history in the US, but you'd honestly get used to it, especially if they made more effort at integration. There's been so little effort at flowing into a middle ground with the WNBA - they largely just dumped the names and replaced wth a big logo. The NBA, where the league gives a shit, is easing into it much more gradually.

The other thing they can do is ease up on the degree of uniformity they demand. EPL teams have such an amazing range of design and layout that each feels unique regardless of the lack of team nickname. American jerseys are so one note that the only real difference besides color is the team name.

PostPosted: 04/16/18 8:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

The other thing they can do is ease up on the degree of uniformity they demand. EPL teams have such an amazing range of design and layout that each feels unique regardless of the lack of team nickname. American jerseys are so one note that the only real difference besides color is the team name.

This. I've grown to accept the ads dominating the majority of the jerseys. I just dont like that every team has the same template. At least in 1997 Champion provided the WNBA with 3 different templates for the ladies. Hell. I'll take the same template if each team had their own design/identity. At least Nike could've brought back the team's original fonts for the numbers. Something to differentiate each team's uni. Ijs

PostPosted: 04/17/18 12:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Sounds like that makes you an Everton fan. Good to meet another one! Smile

Also: The whole jersey sponsor thing was just getting started when I departed ages ago. I hated the idea, despite my NASCAR fan days of (seemingly) long ago. Since then I've picked up soccer, obviously...and I really just don't care anymore what's on the shirts as long as the color is right and the name and number of each player is on the back.

I have several issues with how jerseys are done these days in sports...so I'm still somewhat of a purist, even if I don't care if there are sponsors on the shirts now or not.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/17/18 5:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jimmyk wrote:
Since then I've picked up soccer, obviously...and I really just don't care anymore what's on the shirts as long as the color is right and the name and number of each player is on the back.

And the name/squad number thing only came into soccer in the early 90s and was met with a dubious reception from a lot of people. Now it's just accepted as part of the look (although buying a replica shirt that's blank on the back is still very common, unlike in US sports where it's virtually unheard of). We get used to change like that after a while.

And I totally agree on the need for less 'uniformity' in the uniforms, hangtyme24. I've bitched about that myself on several occasions. I can only hope that it saves the teams/league money, because if it's just a style choice then I hate it even more.

PostPosted: 04/17/18 9:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

Different mindset within the fandoms. Soccer has been in the jersey ad space sales for much longer than the W. I think it will be a harder sell to those like myself who are used to it our way. Its also a fashion trend that's been in the US for awhile now to be decked out in your TEAM'S logo, putting your team logo on your cars, buying all kinds of products emblazoned with your team logo. Just hard to swallow that it can't be prominent on the front of the jersey. If we wanted to rep the Mayo Clinic we would buy Mayo Clinic stuff but that's not the case. The promotionals industry is based off of that kind of brand loyalty.
Lib Fan

PostPosted: 04/17/18 12:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I cant imagine what it would be to have Jackie Robinson's Jersey from the Brooklyn Dodgers and it said Mobil Oil across the chest Crying or Very sad

PhxPeace

PostPosted: 04/17/18 12:36 pm    ::: The ONLYI answer is... Reply Reply with quote

The only answer is...
The (Connecticut) Mohegan) Sun[/code]

pilight

PostPosted: 04/17/18 12:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
buying a replica shirt that's blank on the back is still very common, unlike in US sports where it's virtually unheard of

In US pro sports, yes. Buying replica college jerseys that are blank on the back is very common.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: