RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Dancing With The Stars
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 8:41 am    ::: Dancing With The Stars Reply Reply with quote

I promise this is on topic

http://people.com/tv/dancing-with-the-stars-athletes-cast/

Quote:
Notre Dame’s national championship hero Arike Ogunbowale led her team to victory and made the cover of Sports Illustrated.

The 21-year-old will take on the competition with pro Gleb Savchenko.

Grab your vial
tfan

PostPosted: 04/13/18 8:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess her partner can go/has gone to South Bend to train with her so she doesn't miss classes. At least they normally train for 3 weeks prior to the start (April 30th)of the normal 10-week show (this one is only 4 weeks).

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/13/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont Typically watch DWTS but now I just might have to. This is very excellent!

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Contestants make a nice chunk of change on that show. How does that work?

The list of contestants gets more painful every time. About half from the Winter Olympics?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Im still trying to figure out why she is on the DWTS ? I guess her life did change over night . From a middle of the pack WCBB star to a Celebrity over the weekend.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

The list of contestants gets more painful every time. About half from the Winter Olympics?

This is an athlete only edition

Grab your vial
pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

It's hard to square it with an NCAA that doesn't allow players to sell their own autographs or memorabilia.

Grab your vial
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/13/18 12:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
I dont Typically watch DWTS but now I just might have to. This is very excellent!

I had never watched the show until former Packers player Donald Driver was on it. That was the only season I ever watched it. I may tune into this one at the beginning to check it out though.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Im still trying to figure out why she is on the DWTS ? I guess her life did change over night . From a middle of the pack WCBB star to a Celebrity over the weekend.

Two last second game winning shots in consecutive games isn't something that's common. It kind of makes you stand out.

BTW, she was the leading scorer in the ACC, so it's not like she was that "middle of the pack."

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/crsbecker/status/984784490290667521

Quote:
ND employees got instructions about potential NCAA violations tied to this because Arike is a student-athlete. We’re not allowed to promote her appearance, encourage votes for her on our social media accounts, or even so much as like a promotional tweet about her participation.

More from the instructions: “It is permissible to post a factual statement or wish her good luck. For example, employees can post a statement such as this: “Congrats/best wishes/good luck to Arike on DWTS!””

Grab your vial
Shades

PostPosted: 04/13/18 1:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Notre Dame once again finding ways to skirt the rules.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/13/18 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

That's bull shit and the saddest part is that you know it is and just want to .....

PostPosted: 04/13/18 2:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think it's a great chance of publicity. Probably won't win a lot of converts over to WCBB but it's an opportunity to take wcbb outside the usual narrow parameters in which it's confined.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Do you have any proof of this? Why go out of your way to say negative things about Notre Dame over and over?

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Except for the fact that Notre Dame employees received guidance to comply with NCAA rules...

ND employees got instructions about potential NCAA violations tied to this because Arike is a student-athlete. We’re not allowed to promote her appearance, encourage votes for her on our social media accounts, or even so much as like a promotional tweet about her participation.

More from the instructions: “It is permissible to post a factual statement or wish her good luck. For example, employees can post a statement such as this: “Congrats/best wishes/good luck to Arike on DWTS!””

Skirting the rules...by issuing compliance reminders regarding said NCAA rules???

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

Except for the fact that Notre Dame employees received guidance to comply with NCAA rules...

Skirting the rules...by issuing compliance reminders regarding said NCAA rules???

I don't understand why it's not a violation for Ogunbowale to participate. The NCAA generally doesn’t allow student-athletes to capitalize on their college fame, even to the extent of selling their own autograph or memorabilia. How is a nationally televised competition any less of a threat to amateurism?

Grab your vial
CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/13/18 4:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Or...

Disney/ABC/ESPN decided to do a sports themed DWTS so they wanted to include people from various sports.

Who to get from Women's Basketball? Unfortunately, the WNBA is currently playing, so it's doubtful any of their players could make it. How about someone from college?

They talk with the NCAA and the NCAA, who wants to keep ESPN happy because they broadcast a lot of games in various sports and has large contracts with them, giving the NCAA a lot of money, says "Okay."

Who in Women's College Basketball is well known among the general public right now? How about the player who just hit back to back last second game winning baskets?

See? Easy to explain without the big, super powerful, almighty ND pulling the NCAA's strings! Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/13/18 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Shades wrote:

I don't understand why it's not a violation for Ogunbowale to participate. The NCAA generally doesn’t allow student-athletes to capitalize on their college fame, even to the extent of selling their own autograph or memorabilia. How is a nationally televised competition any less of a threat to amateurism?

I guess maybe they view the autograph and memorabilia as personal promotion, but might consider this "promoting the sport as a whole?" They might view it as keeping the thought of Women's Basketball in the public awareness.

I'm not saying it's justified based on their stances in other circumstances. I'm just saying that might be their rationale. Just spit-balling here.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/13/18 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shades wrote:

Do you have any proof of this? Why go out of your way to say negative things about Notre Dame over and over?

Because shades is still bitter ND won a Nati Laughing

PostPosted: 04/13/18 6:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Oh yeah ND gets all the favoritism. Right.

You mean like the way ND had their last 15 conference tournaments in their home state (including 10 BET on their home court) and had 3 of their last 5 regionals in their home state and the other two just one state over?

Oh wait. That wasn't ND...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/13/18 7:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In my understanding, athletes can get paid for doing stuff *not connected with their sport* so long as they don’t capitalize on that sport while doing it.

Some of y’all really need to pull the splinters out of your behinds.

PostPosted: 04/13/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is an absurd twisting of the rules given the other decisions they have made. The only reason for her being able to be on the show is trading on her fame from college basketball. The name of the show is "Dancing With The Stars" and she would in no way be considered a "Star" if it weren't for her basketball play. The idea that the money she earns will be as a result of her dancing ability, and therefore not related to her athletic prowess or fame, is ridiculous. It would be like saying that a player selling autographs is making money from his or her penmanship.

If this ruling signals a change in NCAA thinking about allowing players to make money based on their fame while they are still engaged in college sports then I am all for it, but this seems to fly in the face of several other decisions the NCAA has made, and as such it appears shameful. The only hope is that this ruling, perhaps in concert with the Ed O'bannon decision, can be used to allow players to earn money from their fame while they are in college.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/18 11:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
In my understanding, athletes can get paid for doing stuff *not connected with their sport* so long as they don’t capitalize on that sport while doing it.

How is this not capitalizing on her sport? Her cast bio spends the whole first paragraph recounting her accomplishments on the court. No one can reasonably think she would have even been invited if not for her hitting the gamers in the F4.

Grab your vial
elsie

PostPosted: 04/14/18 1:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she is not well known....9 out or 10 people don't know who she is...

at our womens bb brunch, we couldn't even bring items in to have the players sign them...its against the rules, because you know, we might sell the autographs or something...

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/14/18 4:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Two things about this that haven't been discussed...

Even top athletes who compete in this actually mention how strenuous the workouts are (Yeah, people often discount how much work it takes to dance professionally).

As such, on one hand it should make her even more nimble on the court.

However, there is the other side of this...

Injuries aren't exactly unknown on the show either. I've only been watching the last 2-3 years (While I've been taking care of my mother. It's one of her favorite shows). While I don't recall any ACLs, there have been quite a few ankle sprains and other leg injuries.

Side note: She should probably stay clear of Tonya Harding... Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/14/18 4:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here's an article that mentions the NCAA's rationale:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/opinion-ncaa-breaks-its-rules-for-dwts-and-thats-progress/ar-AAvRnup?ocid=spartandhp&ffid=gz

But the NCAA found a loophole and is giving Ogunbowale a hand to help her squeeze through it. She can’t do any promotional work for the show, other than announcing she’s on it, because that would capitalize on her “athletics ability.” Any prize money she wins would be the result of her dancing achievements, however, and thus would be hers to keep.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/14/18 7:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

How is this not capitalizing on her sport? Her cast bio spends the whole first paragraph recounting her accomplishments on the court. No one can reasonably think she would have even been invited if not for her hitting the gamers in the F4.

I think it might be because she will be dancing, not playing bball. The bball is what got her noticed, but it is the dancing that will get her paid.

PostPosted: 04/14/18 8:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I think it might be because she will be dancing, not playing bball. The bball is what got her noticed, but it is the dancing that will get her paid.

That's not consistent with what the NCAA has done in the past

Grab your vial
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/14/18 8:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

How is it not consistent? You can't just make a claim like that with nothing to back it up.

Selling their autograph or memorabilia is DIRECTLY tied to the sport. Does the NCAA prohibit them from selling their books (when they used books), dress shoes, dresses, suits, ties, kitchenware, their car, etc?

This seems more like a 'normal' job to me. Yeah, she got the job because of bball, but how is it any different than getting a summer job at Walmart because the hiring manager knew that the person played on the team?

And, hey, even the NCAA can change!!!!! Wink

PostPosted: 04/14/18 9:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the pay hasn't change, the minimum for DWTS is $250,000 is you're the first eliminated.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Carol Anne

PostPosted: 04/14/18 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From a different perspective, assuming Arike's dance partner will be a man, this pairing will serve to reassure viewers that most women athletes are straight. Wink

pilight

PostPosted: 04/14/18 9:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
This seems more like a 'normal' job to me. Yeah, she got the job because of bball, but how is it any different than getting a summer job at Walmart because the hiring manager knew that the person played on the team?

Do you know how many players have been disciplined by the NCAA for getting jobs because the hiring manager knew who they were? Too many to count.

Grab your vial
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/14/18 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Do you know how many players have been disciplined by the NCAA for getting jobs because the hiring manager knew who they were? Too many to count.

And how many of those were boosters (or booster-arranged) providing "no-show" jobs to the athlete?

This is a legit job that the NCAA (and world for that matter) will be able to monitor.

PostPosted: 04/14/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

And how many of those were boosters (or booster-arranged) providing "no-show" jobs to the athlete?

This is a legit job that the NCAA (and world for that matter) will be able to monitor.

Yeah, it's not like any of the DWTS producers went to Notre Dame...

Grab your vial
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/14/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Do you know that any did?

PostPosted: 04/14/18 10:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Do you know that any did?

The fact that Pilight mentioned it would lead me to believe it’s true.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/14/18 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2018 NCAA D1 Manual

12.4 Employment.

12.4.1 Criteria Governing Compensation to Student-Athletes. Compensation may be paid to a student-athlete:
(a) Only for work actually performed; and
(b) At a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services.
12.4.1.1 Athletics Reputation. Such compensation may not include any remuneration for value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following that he or she has obtained because of athletics ability.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/14/18 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2018 NCAA D1 Manual

12.4 Employment.

12.5.2 Nonpermissible.

12.5.2.1 Advertisements and Promotions After Becoming a Student-Athlete. After becoming a student-athlete, an individual shall not be eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if the individual:
(a) Accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind . . . .
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/14/18 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does seem like the NCAA should have told Notre Dame "no"when they asked whether Arike dancing would be permissible. But Notre Dame did the right thing by asking them beforehand. The NCAA may have decided that this publicity for WCBB might, on balance, make it worthwhile for them to allow it.

I would think that if anyone has issue with this decision, they should complain about the NCAA and not complain about Notre Dame. (Thankfully, most posters seem to be complaining about the NCAA's inconsistency and not Notre Dame.)

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/14/18 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
2018 NCAA D1 Manual

12.4 Employment.

12.4.1 Criteria Governing Compensation to Student-Athletes. Compensation may be paid to a student-athlete:
(a) Only for work actually performed; and
(b) At a rate commensurate with the going rate in that locality for similar services.
12.4.1.1 Athletics Reputation. Such compensation may not include any remuneration for value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following that he or she has obtained because of athletics ability.

GlennMacGrady wrote:
2018 NCAA D1 Manual

12.4 Employment.

12.5.2 Nonpermissible.

12.5.2.1 Advertisements and Promotions After Becoming a Student-Athlete. After becoming a student-athlete, an individual shall not be eligible for participation in intercollegiate athletics if the individual:
(a) Accepts any remuneration for or permits the use of his or her name or picture to advertise, recommend or promote directly the sale or use of a commercial product or service of any kind . . . .

A quick google showed that the stories and ads for DWTS don't show Arike, unlike the other celebrity contestants. She's getting a one-sentence explanation of who she is, with no photograph. I can't see how that constitutes advertising, recommendation, or promotion. Nor is it providing much value or utility to DWTS...her name is probably the least recognizable of the celebrities.

If ND applied to the NCAA, and the NCAA agreed, or devised guidelines for Arike to follow, like no promotional photographs pre-event, I don't see how either she or ND is at fault.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/14/18 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
If ND applied to the NCAA, and the NCAA agreed, or devised guidelines for Arike to follow, like no promotional photographs pre-event, I don't see how either she or ND is at fault.

Notre Dame didn't do anything wrong. Ogunbowale certainly didn't do anything wrong. The issue is the NCAA being full of it.

Grab your vial
calbearman76

PostPosted: 04/14/18 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

Notre Dame didn't do anything wrong. Ogunbowale certainly didn't do anything wrong. The issue is the NCAA being full of it.

Agree 100%

The cases of Jeremy Bloom (Olympic Skier who wanted to be a Colorado football player) or Donald De La Haye (UCF Kicker who made money from You Tube videos) were both terrible rulings. This is only terrible from the standpoint that it is completely at odds with its previous position.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 04/14/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

People bitch and bitch and bitch that the NCAA a non-evolving organization. That they are 'mean' to athletes getting 4-5 years of free or subsidized education.

When they do try to do something different in favor of an athlete, people bitch and bitch and bitch.

Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: 04/14/18 5:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
People bitch and bitch and bitch that the NCAA a non-evolving organization. That they are 'mean' to athletes getting 4-5 years of free or subsidized education.

When they do try to do something different in favor of an athlete, people bitch and bitch and bitch.

:roll:

The NCAA is an organization with rules. You can choose to follow the rules religiously or follow them with an eye towards reason, appropriateness and in furtherance of its purpose. Unfortunately the NCAA seems to jump back and forth between these two, making their decisions arbitrary and constantly subject to criticism.

This is a perfect example where, if a previous poster is correct, they will allow one player to receive $250,000 as a result of her play, but they won't allow others to keep $5,000 for sinking a half-court shot in a contest and still play. Change the rules (and not just to exclude National TV shows broadcast by Disney) and I have no problem; but this is wrong.

elsie

PostPosted: 04/14/18 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

as long as the rules are in flux for certain schools like ND, then its all a sham....they're not even embarrassed about it....

no one can say why transfer rules are favorable to some, and punitive to others...

its almost like the NCAA is laughing in our faces...

you little people...follow the rules....others...wink wink....

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/15/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

You want consistency from the NCAA? Good luck with that... Wink

CBiebel

PostPosted: 04/15/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:

as long as the rules are in flux for certain schools like ND, then its all a sham....they're not even embarrassed about it....

no one can say why transfer rules are favorable to some, and punitive to others...

I assume you are suggesting the Shepard situation. It's not like she was a unique situation, as some here imply:

Leticia Romero (From KSU as Freshman in 2013-14 to FSU as sophomore in 2014-15)
Chantrice White (From Illinois as sophomore (2015-16) to FSU as junior (2016-17)
Natalie Romeo (From Nebraska (stick a pin in this part, I'll get back to it below) as a sophomore (2015-16) to Washington as a junior (2016-17)).

In all the above cases the coach had been fired (in at least 3 of the 4 (including Shepard) the coach was being investigated by the university), and the players petitioned for the exemption.

The only thing that set Shepard apart from the rest above was that she ended up playing a key role in winning a National Championship.

GEF34

PostPosted: 04/15/18 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The NCAA has allowed gymnasts to compete in "professional gymnastics competitions" and post Olympic tours while maintaining their college eligibility, some did it before they were enrolled in college, some did it while they were enrolled in college. Not sure how it worked regarding prize money, prizes or payment for participation. but they have been allowed to participate or perform, however you'd like to phrase it.

Win or Lose LA Sparks Fan for life!!!
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 04/16/18 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Over 30 years ago, after the Jeremy Bloom fiasco (who was ruled ineligible for football at Colorado because he was making buckets of money as a World Cup and Olympic skier) the NCAA made it so you student-athletes are only ineligible for a sport if they accept money for that particular sport in which they are getting paid, and could continue to play other college sports.

Allowing a basketball player to get paid for a dance show doesn't strike me as all that unusual a ruling. Any more than a college football player getting paid to play professional baseball during summers, which happens frequently.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/16/18 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
elsie wrote:

I assume you are suggesting the Shepard situation. It's not like she was a unique situation, as some here imply:

Leticia Romero (From KSU as Freshman in 2013-14 to FSU as sophomore in 2014-15)
Chantrice White (From Illinois as sophomore (2015-16) to FSU as junior (2016-17)
Natalie Romeo (From Nebraska (stick a pin in this part, I'll get back to it below) as a sophomore (2015-16) to Washington as a junior (2016-17)).

In all the above cases the coach had been fired (in at least 3 of the 4 (including Shepard) the coach was being investigated by the university), and the players petitioned for the exemption.

The only thing that set Shepard apart from the rest above was that she ended up playing a key role in winning a National Championship.

Heck wasnt Chatrice White with South Carolina before Illinois ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: