RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Restructuring the RebKell Index Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/07/18 12:00 pm    ::: Restructuring the RebKell Index Page Reply Reply with quote

The small discussion elsewhere about moderator changes motivates me to give some opinions about the Index page that have always seemed a little confusing to me.

The Index page is formatted into four blocks: FAQs, Women's Sports, Other Stuff, and Archives.

Let me start with "Archives" block. I've always interpreted that to be a historical repository, not a place to post actively. So where would I post new stuff about Collectibles, Fantasy Games or Olympics? I don't know, and I doubt a new member would either. Is this really just archival or not? If not, it should be clarified. I propose clarification, as follows.

Back up to the "Womens' Sports" block. First, I think it should be renamed "Women's Basketball", because basketball is specifically the focus of this site. Second, I think a separate sub-forum should be broken out for "International & Olympic Women's Basketball" -- instead of having all the international stuff, which only a minority of people are interested in, mixed into the WNBA sub-forum. Note that this would clarify where current posts about women's Olympics should be posted. Third, I would delete "Other Women's Sports" because this block would now be only about women's basketball.

Next, to the "Other Stuff" block. Include Other Women's Sports as a sub-forum in this block. Maybe also current Collectibles and current Fantasy Games as sub-forums here.

To summarize these thoughts, the reformat would be:

RebKell Nation F.A.Q.

Women's Basketball
- WNBA
- NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
- NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
- International & Olympic Women's Basketball

Other Stuff
- Area 51
- Other Women's Sports
- Men's Sports
- Current Fantasy Games
- WNBA Collectibles

Archives
- ? (Past Fantasy Games)
- ? (Past Collectibles)
- (Is the whole block even necessary?)
Richard 77

PostPosted: 04/07/18 5:08 pm    ::: Re: Restructuring the RebKell Index Page Reply Reply with quote

As the moderator (or former moderator) of the collectables board, I never bothered to archive old posts and deleted them instead. If you didn't find what you were looking for here after your post remained on the forum for a couple of years, chances are the collectable/item written about in the post wasn't going to be found here, and either the poster went elsewhere to find the item and either found what they were looking for or gave up trying. If I were still mod, when 2019 came around, I would be deleting posts from 2014, as posts dated eariler than that would be already gone. Some posts just dont need to be archived.

If you cannot inspire yourself to read a book about women's basketball, or any book about women's sports, you cannot inspire any young girl or boy to write a book about them. http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Richardstrek
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/09/18 8:42 pm    ::: Re: Restructuring the RebKell Index Page Reply Reply with quote

Richard 77 wrote:
I never bothered to archive old posts and deleted them instead.

Some posts just dont need to be archived.

Your sensible practice seems to reinforce the question as to why the site would need an "Archive" forum at all for collectibles, fantasy games, Olympics or anything else. An archive is for things that are non-current, inactive and dead.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/09/18 8:57 pm    ::: Re: Restructuring the RebKell Index Page Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:

Your sensible practice seems to reinforce the question as to why the site would need an "Archive" forum at all for collectibles, fantasy games, Olympics or anything else. An archive is for things that are non-current, inactive and dead.

That's a good question, and I don't know the origins of the structure, but I do know 2 things:
1. I prefer not to delete things
2. I ain't sorting through all of those old threads and moving them into other categories!

(but that said, I agree that the current arrangement is not very logical (and can be improved (when I'm not drunk)))

PostPosted: 04/09/18 8:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The structure wasn't really planned. Like Topsy, it just growed.

PostPosted: 04/09/18 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
The structure wasn't really planned. Like Topsy, it just growed.

Bingo.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/10/18 11:46 pm    ::: Re: Restructuring the RebKell Index Page Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Richard 77 wrote:

That's a good question, and I don't know the origins of the structure, but I do know 2 things:
1. I prefer not to delete things
2. I ain't sorting through all of those old threads and moving them into other categories!

(but that said, I agree that the current arrangement is not very logical (and can be improved (when I'm not drunk)))

I wouldn't propose sorting through or moving anything old. The new or moved categories would simply take effect for new postings as of the date they are created. Just like when you create an NCAA Game Thread sub-forum for a given year, older game threads that were created in NCAA General Discussion don't actually get moved. Do they?

I don't even know what fantasy games are, but the threads in that sub-forum in the Archive block are all at least seven years old. What's the point of keeping dead clutter like that on the front page of the website? The real basketball threads -- what this site is about -- seem to be preserved (archived) forever without an "Archive" forum. The Olympic threads can be kept forever the same way if International & Olympic is broken out into a separate sub-forum.

Similarly, the Collectibles thread, which Richard says is kept current, would simply move on the index page from the Archive Block to the Other Stuff block.

I say these things are simple without knowing how the ancient phpBB software actually works or doesn't work. I'm surprised, actually, that anyone still knows how to use something that old.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: