RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Ionescu had to pay to tryout for USAB

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 724



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/18 5:47 am    ::: Ionescu had to pay to tryout for USAB Reply Reply with quote

Found this throwback! Ionescu made the team from tryouts even though she wasn't one of the 35 invited. ClayK or someone with West Coast knowledge, is this when Sabrina arrived or was she already on the radar? Seems like a pretty cool story, even though she got locked out of the gym momentarily Wink
http://www.espn.com/espnw/news-commentary/article/10682719/usa-basketball-opens-tryouts-national-team-espnw


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8765



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/18 9:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting you should ask ...

Before Sabrina's first trip to USA Basketball, I encouraged her to go and try out, as I have been there quite a bit. There was some skepticism, but finally she decided to go.

You have to realize she was a slender girl with no reputation -- she had never been ranked on any prospect list -- and so the chances of her making the team were almost zero. It was really amazing watching her survive ...

Here's a story I wrote that covers some of that, along with her background ...

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/ySmY63Df-U69l148bQorQw/maxpreps-2015-16-national-girls-basketball-player-of-the-year--sabrina-ionescu.htm



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Nixtreefan



Joined: 14 Nov 2012
Posts: 1839



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/10/18 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

But her rep soon took over when her dad accused the USA of bias when she didn't make one of the later teams. He is a gem just like the other stage daddies.


willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 387
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/13/18 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
But her rep soon took over when her dad accused the USA of bias when she didn't make one of the later teams. He is a gem just like the other stage daddies.


He doesn't make a good first impression, but once you get to understand where he is coming from he is really likable. It's sort of because of his Eastern European back ground. Unlike American culture he is an open book and pretty much says what he thinks.

Clay-- In respect to Sabrina being under the radar- Nationally perhaps but anyone who saw her play even as a freshman could see a star in the making. She was a force even back then.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 8765



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/18 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

willtalk wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
But her rep soon took over when her dad accused the USA of bias when she didn't make one of the later teams. He is a gem just like the other stage daddies.


He doesn't make a good first impression, but once you get to understand where he is coming from he is really likable. It's sort of because of his Eastern European back ground. Unlike American culture he is an open book and pretty much says what he thinks.

Clay-- In respect to Sabrina being under the radar- Nationally perhaps but anyone who saw her play even as a freshman could see a star in the making. She was a force even back then.


All she did was win, starting in grade school. But she didn't pass the eye test ...



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
willtalk



Joined: 13 Apr 2012
Posts: 387
Location: NorCal


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/18 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
willtalk wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
But her rep soon took over when her dad accused the USA of bias when she didn't make one of the later teams. He is a gem just like the other stage daddies.


He doesn't make a good first impression, but once you get to understand where he is coming from he is really likable. It's sort of because of his Eastern European back ground. Unlike American culture he is an open book and pretty much says what he thinks.

Clay-- In respect to Sabrina being under the radar- Nationally perhaps but anyone who saw her play even as a freshman could see a star in the making. She was a force even back then.


All she did was win, starting in grade school. But she didn't pass the eye test ...
The Seabiscuit of girls basketball.A competitive nature and a strong desire not to lose is what she had in spades. Some people only look at physical measurables, but i have seen many players who have those in spades but lack the fire in their guts. They get highly recruited and then underachieve at the next level and people are surprised.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin