RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acsuc99

PostPosted: 02/03/19 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
This thread falls to Page 2. Rome really is burning.

THERE you are. Thought you may have left the building.

I've been in witness protection ever since I declared this team was more enjoyable than last years! Whoops! I underestimated how much Geno was gonna mail it in and that Katie Lou Samuelson was really Mel Thomas!

acsuc99

PostPosted: 02/03/19 7:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They can get their ass handed to them again and it won't matter. All you need to know about this group is the Miss State loss didn't motivate last years team (Geno said so himself). That should have been impossible seeing ESPN showed it 1,578 times during the season. Samuelson and Collier sounded like they were at a funeral after the Louisville loss. No fighters. And they were assembled in a severely flawed way by their coaching staff. Apparently physical strength and size is not a priority to this coaching staff when they recruit. I also love how with numerous up and coming womens programs with power 5 money we are still in the RECRUIT 3-4 PLAYERS ONLY BECAUSE THOSE ARE THE ONLY ONES IN THE TOP 10 GENO WANTS TO DEAL WITH AND BE DAMNED WITH ANYONE ELSE EVEN THOUGH THE TALENT POOL IS DEEPER.

btw Did anyone ask Geno after the game if Cincinnati was still a disgrace for firing Jamelle Elliott. That was the toughest I saw Cincy play UConn in 9 years! Or how about if Samuelson still deserves to win POY over Aja?

I'm back and fired up CT.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 02/04/19 8:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

woohoo! Very Happy

PostPosted: 02/04/19 8:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
They can get their ass handed to them again and it won't matter. All you need to know about this group is the Miss State loss didn't motivate last years team (Geno said so himself). That should have been impossible seeing ESPN showed it 1,578 times during the season. Samuelson and Collier sounded like they were at a funeral after the Louisville loss. No fighters. And they were assembled in a severely flawed way by their coaching staff. Apparently physical strength and size is not a priority to this coaching staff when they recruit. I also love how with numerous up and coming womens programs with power 5 money we are still in the RECRUIT 3-4 PLAYERS ONLY BECAUSE THOSE ARE THE ONLY ONES IN THE TOP 10 GENO WANTS TO DEAL WITH AND BE DAMNED WITH ANYONE ELSE EVEN THOUGH THE TALENT POOL IS DEEPER.

btw Did anyone ask Geno after the game if Cincinnati was still a disgrace for firing Jamelle Elliott. That was the toughest I saw Cincy play UConn in 9 years! Or how about if Samuelson still deserves to win POY over Aja?

This annoys me most, I think. As an avid WCB fan who watches dozens of games a week, I see dozens of talented players out there, and I have to wonder why Geno saddles himself with the likes of Bent, Irwin, Camara, Coombs, etc.

PostPosted: 02/04/19 2:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

This annoys me most, I think. As an avid WCB fan who watches dozens of games a week, I see dozens of talented players out there, and I have to wonder why Geno saddles himself with the likes of Bent, Irwin, Camara, Coombs, etc.

Maybe because others would rather play for someone else? I'm still scratching my head over Camara leaving Kentucky.

PostPosted: 02/04/19 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The problem is this current team, as well as last years, have no big time star players. KLS is just meh. She is another Mel Thomas as someone else said above. Collier is a good player in college who won’t amount to much in the WNBA. Megan Walker was crap last year and is still crap this year. Crystal Dangerfield was a huge step down from Moriah Jefferson and still doesn’t excite me at all when I watch her play. Christine Williams (however you spell her name) might turn out to be a great player in the future for the Huskies. They touted her as the next Taurasi, which I find laughable at best. That Nelson Odada girl is and will always be a crap bench player that will never add anything to the team ala Natalie Butler. And with KLS & Collier leaving after this season, there is no one on the horizon coming in that will do anything.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/04/19 5:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong. Is it true that Geno does not have a recruiting class for next year?

PostPosted: 02/04/19 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong. Is it true that Geno does not have a recruiting class for next year?

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-aubrey-griffin-signs-with-uconn-20181127-story.html

PostPosted: 02/04/19 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Because doing what a Scott Rudeck or Vic Schaefer does takes time, effort, and the ability to identify, evaluate, and coach up. Geno doesn't have the time for that anymore. Vic certainly had more patience and right approach with AEH so far. Geno meanwhile sounds like CLint Eastwood in Gran Tarino...GET OFF MY LAWN! Kids today!

It's been obvious for the last decade, with only academic focused schools like Stanford, any threat at all for recruits, Geno and CD are just looking at the McDonald's All American teams and picking the 3-4 players that Geno approves of letting into the "family" and focusing solely on them and no one else. That works when there is no competition. Now with multiple blossoming programs with Power 5 money, you must be driven and have a Plan B or Plan C. He has none and still acts like he doesn't need one. A total fool. He reminds me right now of Summitt after Holdsclaw left.

Wasn't Bent offered because Shea Ralph saw her perform good in one game? Doesn't Irwin have a connection to Geno with her dad?

As I said, Geno is cutting corners. It's obvious.

BTW I still want to know why this new job was created for Jamelle Elliott. With the budge crisis and deficit UConn athletics has too...

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/04/19 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

https://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-aubrey-griffin-signs-with-uconn-20181127-story.html

Okay, a class of one. And how many graduating? What does that do to the bench?

JMU has only 2 coming in, one signee and a transfer, but has only two leaving. There is one more spot open caused by the dismissal of Kelly Koshuta, but not sure if Coach O. will elect to fill it.

PostPosted: 02/04/19 6:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

UConn's one 2019 recruit is Aubrey Griffin, a 6-1 wing player, who is ranked #33 by HoopGurlz. She missed her soph season with an ACL injury and 10 of her team's 16 games so far this senior season due to an ankle injury. Nonetheless, she has been selected to play in the McD AA game.

UConn will lose the greatest 1-2 scoring combination in the same class when Samuelson and Collier graduate in 2019 (surpassing the combined scoring of Stewart and Jefferson). There will only be nine scholarship players next season, or only eight if end-of-bencher Camara chooses to graduate and leave.

Therefore, the so-far unproductive Nelson-Ododa, as a soph, and the oft-injured Aubrey Griffin, as a frosh, would seem to be mandatory starters for UConn next season, over the unproductive Bent, Irwin, Coombs and (maybe) Camara.

UConn has no recruits yet from the class of 2020, so Geno will be down to five players after Dangerfield, Bent, Irwin and Camara graduate in 2020. Geno has to have a monster recruiting class from 2020 if he wants to continue even a pale shadow of the Genghis Khan past.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/04/19 8:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Yeah, but maybe it's relative. You never know if those players you covet would be able to get minutes at UConn. Look at Ekmark. Worse than any of those you mentioned but a starter on ranked P12 ASU.

UConn's slump is all on Samuelson. Frankly, in the first half of games she plays like Diamond DeShields, lots of shots and no points. She is never going to carry a team. There are Stewarts and Moores and then there is a second tier of players, (many are AA's, G Williams, Collier, Jefferson are recent examples of that sort), and Samuelson too. Great players but not transcendent.
Samuelson (and Collier) do not belong in guard positions on offense but that's where they spend a lot of time. Neither has the tools to run the offense. In a recent game I saw the two of them out above the key while the 2 actual guards were standing on the left wing and corner. The 2 seniors never looked once in that direction as they lost the ball trying to dribble into a paint area with 3 defenders. The only way UConn goes anywhere in April, or even get to the FF, is if Dangerfield and Williams are given the ball. They belong out on the top. Right now either one is a better 3 pt shooter than blondie. Let Samuelson run to the corners and come out off screens for 3's
and let Collier roam the paint. But let the guards run things.

In Stewart's freshman year there was a struggle until the NCAA's and I remember Geno having a sitdown with his upper classmen about sacrificing in order to win a NC. What that meant was looking for Stewart, a lot more. I used to watch Stewart flash into the paint with no one near for for a couple of seconds but Dolson, holding the ball over her head would never throw it. or throw it after 2 defenders collapsed. It's about time for Geno to have a meeting with KLS & Collier.

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/05/19 1:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ekmark?!!!! LMAO. I agree she's a good barometer of how ASU is not good. Similar to the UConn Dark Ages and Mel Thomas. Sooo glad she returned to the desert.

PostPosted: 02/05/19 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

UConn's one 2019 recruit is Aubrey Griffin, a 6-1 wing player, who is ranked #33 by HoopGurlz. She missed her soph season with an ACL injury and 10 of her team's 16 games so far this senior season due to an ankle injury. Nonetheless, she has been selected to play in the McD AA game.

UConn will lose the greatest 1-2 scoring combination in the same class when Samuelson and Collier graduate in 2019 (surpassing the combined scoring of Stewart and Jefferson). There will only be nine scholarship players next season, or only eight if end-of-bencher Camara chooses to graduate and leave.

Therefore, the so-far unproductive Nelson-Ododa, as a soph, and the oft-injured Aubrey Griffin, as a frosh, would seem to be mandatory starters for UConn next season, over the unproductive Bent, Irwin, Coombs and (maybe) Camara.

UConn has no recruits yet from the class of 2020, so Geno will be down to five players after Dangerfield, Bent, Irwin and Camara graduate in 2020. Geno has to have a monster recruiting class from 2020 if he wants to continue even a pale shadow of the Genghis Khan past.

I've been thinking about their recruiting lately - do you think the AAC is finally catching up to them, i.e. other coaches are using that (and maybe his age - "He won't be coaching in Storrs by the time you graduate") to sway away recruits?

It's of course too early to tell if this is a trend, seeing how things would be different if Boston committed, for example, but wondering if this is the trend that will push UConn to the way of Old Dominion and Louisiana Tech.

But if I'm a Top 20-30 kid and I'm being recruited by ACC, SEC and the other big conference schools, I'm going to listen and not get too excited about playing at Temple or Central Florida.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 02/05/19 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

Rankings for Aubrey Griffin (as of February 5, 2019):
#18 - All Star Girls Report (ASGR)
#22 - Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR)
#27 - Blue Star Report
#90 - Prospects Nation

***NOTE: ESPN/Hoopgurlz rankings are done by Dan Olson, of Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR). Olson updates the CGBR rankings almost weekly, based on evaluations from tournaments he attends and players he sees. For the last 5 years, ESPN has published Olson's rankings 2-4 times per year (depending on the year). So the ESPN/Hoopgurlz player and class rankings are snapshot rankings, at different points in time (specifically, the date(s) of publication).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/05/19 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

#27 - Blue Star Report
#90 - Prospects Nation

***NOTE: ESPN/Hoopgurlz rankings are done by Dan Olson, of Collegiate Girls Basketball Report (CGBR). Olson updates the CGBR rankings almost weekly, based on evaluations from tournaments he attends and players he sees. For the last 5 years, ESPN has published Olson's rankings 2-4 times per year (depending on the year). So the ESPN/Hoopgurlz player and class rankings are snapshot rankings, at different points in time (specifically, the date(s) of publication).

Just curious. What was she ranked BEFORE she committed to UConn?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 02/05/19 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

I've been thinking about their recruiting lately - do you think the AAC is finally catching up to them, i.e. other coaches are using that (and maybe his age - "He won't be coaching in Storrs by the time you graduate") to sway away recruits?

It's of course too early to tell if this is a trend, seeing how things would be different if Boston committed, for example, but wondering if this is the trend that will push UConn to the way of Old Dominion and Louisiana Tech.

But if I'm a Top 20-30 kid and I'm being recruited by ACC, SEC and the other big conference schools, I'm going to listen and not get too excited about playing at Temple or Central Florida.

Could be. I suppose if the FF trips end it will be argued as a reason.

PostPosted: 02/06/19 4:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

#27 - Blue Star Report
#90 - Prospects Nation

Griffin committed to UConn on or around September 27, 2018.

The commitment article states, "In the recently-released ESPNHoopgurlz rankings for the Class of 2019, Griffin checked in at No. 33, up 23 spots from the spring." She moved up to #33 (on Dan Olson's Collegiate Girls Basketball Report) before she committed to UConn.

Griffin signed her National Letter of Intent with UConn on or around November 27, 2018. At the time, Collegiate Girls Basketball Report ranked her at #33.

As of February 5, 2019, she had moved up to #22 in the Collegiate Girls Basketball Report rankings.

I was unable to find the archived Blue Star links (I even tried using the Wayback Machine).

For Prospects Nation, she was not in the top 100 as of April 2018 (she is currently ranked #90 by PN).

For All Star Girls Report, the only public links were for the class rankings (which I was able to access from April 2018, via the Wayback Machine). But Griffin had not yet committed to UConn, and player rankings were only listed for those players who had committed to a school as of that date.

BUT...ASGR did rank her #17 on ASGR's list of USA Basketball Top 100 For 17 And Under Trials (as of June 21, 2018, before she committed to UConn).

Griffin had a knee injury and had to sit out her sophomore season with an ACL injury. This might also explain why she did not appear on the radar until later on in her high school career and in the recruiting process.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/06/19 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

#27 - Blue Star Report
#90 - Prospects Nation

The commitment article states, "In the recently-released ESPNHoopgurlz rankings for the Class of 2019, Griffin checked in at No. 33, up 23 spots from the spring." She moved up to #33 (on Dan Olson's Collegiate Girls Basketball Report) before she committed to UConn.

Griffin signed her National Letter of Intent with UConn on or around November 27, 2018. At the time, Collegiate Girls Basketball Report ranked her at #33.

As of February 5, 2019, she had moved up to #22 in the Collegiate Girls Basketball Report rankings.

I was unable to find the archived Blue Star links (I even tried using the Wayback Machine).

For Prospects Nation, she was not in the top 100 as of April 2018 (she is currently ranked #90 by PN).

For All Star Girls Report, the only public links were for the class rankings (which I was able to access from April 2018, via the Wayback Machine). But Griffin had not yet committed to UConn, and player rankings were only listed for those players who had committed to a school as of that date.

BUT...ASGR did rank her #17 on ASGR's list of USA Basketball Top 100 For 17 And Under Trials (as of June 21, 2018, before she committed to UConn).

Griffin had a knee injury and had to sit out her sophomore season with an ACL injury. This might also explain why she did not appear on the radar until later on in her high school career and in the recruiting process.

Griffin climbed the rankings right after USA tryouts (and prior to verballing to CT.). in fact I don't know that she actually had an offer from CT till her performance at USA. Despite not being invited (I think 35 get invited and have their expenses paid) she paid her own way and made the final 18.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/06/19 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

#27 - Blue Star Report
#90 - Prospects Nation

As a freshman, Griffin led Ossining H.S. to the NYS Federation title (all schools, public and parochial), averaging 24.6 PPG and 9.9 RPG. She was out with an ACL her soph year. She then had another dominant season as a junior, averaging 28.3 PPG and 8.7 RPG, while leading Ossining to the runner-up position in the NYSPHSAA championship game.

I believe she came to national attention in May 2018 when, as a trials newcomer, she earned a spot against 158 players as one of the 18 finalists on the U17 team, which was the strongest high school USAB team I've ever seen. Someone reported that she was essentially the runner-up for the position taken by Jordan Horston, who became the MVP of the gold medal USA team.

I suspect that her unexpected performance in the U17 trials gave her a big boost in the eyes of the rankers who watched her.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bOsEVyVdfd0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
acsuc99

PostPosted: 02/15/19 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am still amazed at how fast Geno chucked the KLS for POY talking points out the window in favor now of the player he of course should have been advocating for all along Collier. Too late Geno. He had no choice though has KLSClunk in the big games all but rendered her damaged goods in the POY race.

I'll never forget after the Oklahoma game listening to CD on the post game. Collier nearly single handidly won the game for us and yet she credit KLS almost as much as Collier.

But don't forget, UConn doesn't care about individual awards! LOL.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/16/19 6:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:

Maybe because others would rather play for someone else? I'm still scratching my head over Camara leaving Kentucky.

Why her among all the other Kentucky transfers?

cthskzfn

PostPosted: 04/01/19 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
acsuc99 wrote:
Boston to SC. The chickens have come home to roost.

The conference, the last 2 years choke jobs, casting a small net in recruiting.

But all is well right CT?

As I said yesterday in the 2019 commitment thread, it's a "major Geno whiff".

All is NOW no longer well, and I'm just as pissed at the last two years' lost opportunities, and the reasons for them, as you.

The question I have is, will this season be the last FF appearance, or was last year's?

Smile

Wonderfully, this year!

PostPosted: 04/02/19 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 04/02/19 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Give her some floppy socks and she's Pistol Paige.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5chmCe5Uo6Y" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

Jump to: