RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBL (Australia) 2018/19 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
root_thing

PostPosted: 01/31/19 9:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Adelaide sweeping the series after losing all 3 regular season games has to be a surprise. Nicholson playing with a broken nose, and I assume still no mask, puts up 23 pts (9-10). Pretty impressive.

PostPosted: 01/31/19 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Adelaide sweeping the series after losing all 3 regular season games has to be a surprise. Nicholson playing with a broken nose, and I assume still no mask, puts up 23 pts (9-10). Pretty impressive.

Slightly surprising that it was a sweep, but Adelaide have been the 2nd-hottest team in the league over the back half of the season and the Boomers have always looked fragile despite their collection of talent, so it's not a shock (not that Adelaide aren't a very strong team too by WNBL standards. It just took them a while to gel and get rolling).
Yeah, Nicholson went the mask-free option and it looks to have been a good call. She hasn't missed a beat. Or a jumpshot, it seems.

Should be an entertaining finals series. Canberra are going to take some stopping though. Leilani is looking back to her usual healthy self, Nurse is hitting her shots, Griffin is still beasting, and Tolo is starting to show some glimpses of her usual self too. Canberra enter the finals on an 11 game winning streak. Though interestingly their last loss was to Adelaide, by 20.

PostPosted: 01/31/19 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Nurse and Mitchell are hitting their bombs, it's a real inside-outside offense with Griffin, Tolo, and even Scherf scoring inside. That's tough to beat. However, Canberra has a tiny backcourt going against much bigger Adelaide guards, so let's see if the Lightning can exploit that in some way.

Thanks for posting these games. They're a nice break from college games, which can be very uneven in both competitiveness and quality.

PostPosted: 01/31/19 9:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semi Final Game 2 - Adelaide Lightning vs Melbourne Boomers

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C78hwhrEjRg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 02/01/19 2:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Semi Final Game 2 - Perth Lynx vs Uni of Canberra Capitals

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/StVFbD-wLm8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 02/03/19 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see how many players sign in Europe after the season.

Tess Madgen made her debut for Zamarat yesterday as they try to avoid relegation in Spain.

Becca Tobin signed with Keltern in Germany and played today.

Darcee Garbin was listed in the boxscore for Herner in Germany, but did not make her debut.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 02/09/19 5:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grand Final Game 1:

I'm out of town atm so I didn't get to see this game, but judging by the "scoring development" tracker, Adelaide got away to a quick start but then it was Canberra on top for the remainder of the game.

Canberra 88 (Nurse 23p 7r 3s, Griffin 22p 12r, Tolo 14p 7r 4a, Wilson 12p 6a, Mitchell 11p 7r 8a)
Adelaide 67 (Nicholson 21p, Coffey 15p 11r 3b, Alexander 7p 7r, Blicavs 7p, Seekamp 5p 8a, Davidson 4p 5r)
Boxscore
YouTube

PostPosted: 02/11/19 7:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grand Final Game 1 - Uni of Canberra Capitals vs Adelaide Lightning

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zWHnafm6Gxw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 02/13/19 6:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grand Final Game 2:

Nicole Seekamp with the buzzer-beater* that rolls around and decides … yeah, let's go to game 3 hey!

Adelaide 74 (Seekamp 19p 9r 5a, Coffey 14p 10r 3s 5b, Nicholson 13p 7r, Alexander 12p 11r, Blicavs 8p)
Canberra 73 (Griffin 24p 23r, Nurse 16p 10r, Mitchell 13p 6r 9a, Tolo 11p 7r)
Boxscore
YouTube

* Shot may not have actually beaten the buzzer, but there was no review #BushLeague

Last edited by Luuuc on 02/14/19 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/13/19 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:

* Shot may not have actually beaten the buzzer, but there was no review #BushLeague

No replays -- just call it traditional or classic basketball. Hey, this gives you something to do for another day or two. Wink

The teams shot 36% and 34% respectively. Good defense, bad shooting, or dim lights? Smile

PostPosted: 02/14/19 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
The teams shot 36% and 34% respectively. Good defense, bad shooting, or dim lights? Smile

Maybe you can let me know! I'm working overseas atm and hoping to watch the game some time before game 3 (on Saturday).

Grand Final Game 2 - Adelaide Lightning vs Uni of Canberra Capitals

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M2fimwRr2DA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

PostPosted: 02/15/19 5:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
root_thing wrote:

Maybe you can let me know! I'm working overseas atm and hoping to watch the game some time before game 3 (on Saturday).

Grand Final Game 2 - Adelaide Lightning vs Uni of Canberra Capitals

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/M2fimwRr2DA" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The refs missed a clear carry of the bal by Nicholson before she passed it though Laughing Laughing she carried that ball on her hip pretty clearly near the 3pointline

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/15/19 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

The refs missed a clear carry of the bal by Nicholson before she passed it though Laughing Laughing she carried that ball on her hip pretty clearly near the 3pointline

I agree. It's funny how Canberra is giving the referees a pass on that missed call while getting all upset about the basket being allowed. I freeze-framed that shot two different ways and I still can't tell if it was late or on-time. Consequently, you can't get mad at the refs for that one. However, the Nicholson carry was pretty obvious. It could also be ruled a double-dribble or a walk -- take your pick.

Nonetheless, Canberra isn't blameless either. How can you let Seekamp stand unguarded under the basket? Nurse was in no man's land, standing in front of Nicholson but to the right. She was the player guarding no one. Kia should have dropped back to cover Nicholson or at least slide over between her and Seekamp to make the pass harder. Instead, Kia never moved her feet, so she was in a bad position when she made a late attempt to knock down the pass.

PostPosted: 02/15/19 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

root_thing wrote:
Michelle89 wrote:

I agree. It's funny how Canberra is giving the referees a pass on that missed call while getting all upset about the basket being allowed. I freeze-framed that shot two different ways and I still can't tell if it was late or on-time. Consequently, you can't get mad at the refs for that one. However, the Nicholson carry was pretty obvious. It could also be ruled a double-dribble or a walk -- take your pick.

Nonetheless, Canberra isn't blameless either. How can you let Seekamp stand unguarded under the basket? Nurse was in no man's land, standing in front of Nicholson but to the right. She was the player guarding no one. Kia should have dropped back to cover Nicholson or at least slide over between her and Seekamp to make the pass harder. Instead, Kia never moved her feet, so she was in a bad position when she made a late attempt to knock down the pass.

actually it was FLB that let her player walk away from her and score the winning basket. Nurse was defending the postplayer that set the screen up top. Flb double teamed when it wasnt needed..

"Sue Bird and Lauren Jackson were and are the dynamic duo. They're the one-two punch. They're all the clich�s possible to describe people that perfectly complement each other, who make each other better and also bring out the best in the team." �Karen Bryant
Richyyy

PostPosted: 02/15/19 7:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My only question on the potential carry is that Mitchell reached in just before it and might've flicked the ball onto Nicholson's hip. If the defender touched it, that's legal, I would presume, even in FIBA. I tried to start/stop the video to check if the shot was in time but it was just too close to tell by hand on a YouTube video. In a televised Finals game I'm amazed that they weren't using replay to check stuff like that, though (or if it was in the rules that they could, I'm amazed the refs chose not to).

PostPosted: 02/16/19 2:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grand Final Game 3:

Canberra 93 (Griffin 29p 15r 4a, Mitchell 19p 6a, Wilson 16p 4a, Tolo 14p, Nurse 12p 5r)
Adelaide 73 (Planeta 15p 8r, Clydesdale 14p, Alexander 11p 7r, Seekamp 11p 5r, Nicholson 10p, Coffey 4p 6r)
Boxscore
YouTube

University of Canberra Capitals are the WNBL Champions for 2018/19. Grand Final MVP is Kelsey Griffin.

Last edited by Luuuc on 02/16/19 10:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheSponge

PostPosted: 02/16/19 4:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Grand Final Game 3:

Canberra 93 (Griffin 29p 15r 4a, Mitchell 19p 6a, Wilson 16p 4a, Tolo 14p, Nurse 12p 5r)
Adelaide 73 (Planeta 15p 8r, Clydesdale 14p, Alexander 11p 7r, Seekamp 11p 5r, Nicholson 10p, Coffey 4p 6r)
Boxscore
[YouTube TBA]

University of Canberra Capitals are the WNBL Champions for 2018/19. Grand Final MVP is Kelsey Griffin.

What a game Luuuc aye? KG23 with yet another huge display.

Can't wait to see the replay that you graciously do for us.

toad455

PostPosted: 02/16/19 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder if Griffin will give the W another shot this year?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
root_thing

PostPosted: 02/16/19 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle89 wrote:

actually it was FLB that let her player walk away from her and score the winning basket. Nurse was defending the postplayer that set the screen up top. Flb double teamed when it wasnt needed..

Those were the assignments starting out, but it turned into a switch situation. Nicholson got away from Griffin at midcourt. Eventually, Kelsey was able to circle around and get back in front, but while Nicholson was running free FLB had to pick her up. Mitchell slowing down Nicholson is what allowed Griffen to get back into the play. Meanwhile, the Adelaide post player had attempted to set a screen on Kelsey, but she failed. That player didn't do much afterward -- just sort of trailed the play and watched. Nurse wasn't even looking at her. There were three players roughly equidistant from Seekamp. Wilson and Tolo both had opponents standing nearby. The one who didn't was Nurse.

It's all moot now anyway. I'm impressed that Adelaide hung in there for a while in Game 3. I thought an angry Canberra team playing in front of their home crowd would blow-out the Lightning early.

PostPosted: 02/16/19 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TheSponge wrote:
What a game Luuuc aye? KG23 with yet another huge display.

Can't wait to see the replay that you graciously do for us.

I can't wait to see it either. And game 2 for that matter.

Grand Final Game 3: Uni of Canberra Capitals vs Adelaide Lightning

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Vw9gmiSs1-8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Luuuc on 02/16/19 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
toad455

PostPosted: 02/16/19 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like they had some big crowds for the playoffs.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
stever

PostPosted: 02/17/19 9:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://pickandroll.com.au/uc-capitals-win-eighth-wnbl-title-with-game-3-victory-over-lightning/

awhom111

PostPosted: 02/23/19 5:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nia Coffey signs with Arka Gdynia in Poland.
awhom111

PostPosted: 03/26/19 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I keep forgetting to post this, but Maddie Garrick has apparently signed with Botas in Turkey and dressed, but did not play in the last game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: