RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

NC Game: MSSt vs. Notre Dame
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who wins the dance?
MSSt
47%
 47%  [ 19 ]
Notre Dame
52%
 52%  [ 21 ]
Total Votes : 40

Author Message
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5102
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/18 4:42 pm    ::: NC Game: MSSt vs. Notre Dame Reply Reply with quote

April Fools Day, 6:00 pm EDT, ESPN

Who wins is the poll question.

But also tell us who you want to win.
Davis4632



Joined: 14 Jul 2014
Posts: 410



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/18 6:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This the first national championship game that doesn't have a player who was ranked #1 coming out of high school since the 2011 game between ND and Texas A&M.


Brinx



Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 839
Location: CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/18 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'll be happy for either team, both are talented and deserving. Hoping for another close one!


lvf08



Joined: 11 Jun 2008
Posts: 597



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/18 10:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm fine with either one winning. I think Miss. State will probably win though.


Hoops9092



Joined: 04 Nov 2008
Posts: 1398



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/18 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Muffet's 5th national championship game in the last 8 seasons. (More than UConn, but yes ND is 0-4 in them).

The SKYLAR DIGGINS LEGACY LIVES ON.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4972



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/31/18 11:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not too familiar with MSST.

Has any team been able to slow down TM's rebounding and how did they do it? Will ND be able to replicate that? Do they have the personnel to do it?

She totally scares me in this game. If she is in there eating up rebounds that's really going to hurt ND.



_________________
neverthless she persisted
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 12:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND has better Guards but Miss State has BIG T. ND will have to outscore Miss. state to win and they are very capable of doing just that. This should be a whale of a Final. Id be happy with either team winning. Muffett could have a shot at back to back, i dont see anyone touching them next season.



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Brinx



Joined: 03 Oct 2013
Posts: 839
Location: CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 9:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I'm not too familiar with MSST.

Has any team been able to slow down TM's rebounding and how did they do it? Will ND be able to replicate that? Do they have the personnel to do it?

She totally scares me in this game. If she is in there eating up rebounds that's really going to hurt ND.


Get her into foul trouble....she can not hurt you on the bench. She makes a living grabbing O boards and putting them back in, so Shepard will have a huge job boxing out today.


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49472



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCowan shouldn’t need to foul. Just play straight up defense like she did against Louisville... no reaching and no leaving the feet. Just the mere presence of McCowan in the paint should be enough to frustrate Shepard, Nelson, Wesbeld, and whoever else. Shepard’s face should be beet red by the third quarter.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess this game will test the old adage that the tournament is a guards' game.

ND has a pretty significant edge at guard. MissSt has the big center.

Other than a 3" advantage at C for Miss St, ND is actually the bigger team. Miss St is fairly short elsewhere.




Last edited by ArtBest23 on 04/01/18 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
McCowan shouldn’t need to foul. Just play straight up defense like she did against Louisville... no reaching and no leaving the feet. Just the mere presence of McCowan in the paint should be enough to frustrate Shepard, Nelson, Wesbeld, and whoever else. Shepard’s face should be beet red by the third quarter.


Right. She creates an inpenatrable force field dome ten feet in diameter around the rim just by standing still. Notre Dame will have to shoot nothing but 3s I guess. Rolling Eyes


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4972



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This was in an article about the ND/UConn game, but I loved this:

Quote:
I keep thinking about forward Jessica Shepard turning the area under the rim into a bad neighborhood on its worst night. (Mabrey is the most captivating player on Notre Dame to watch when she has the ball, but Shepard is, without question, the best player to watch when she’s trying to get the ball. She’s just such a fucking deadly tank in the paint. And it’s not that she’s grabbing so many rebounds—she’s actually averaging less than 10 per game this tournament, same as she did during the season—it’s how violently she seems to gather in the ones that she gets. I love it. I love players who, whenever they come in, you see the players on the other team go, “Aw, man. Fuck.”) (If you like stats: I’m almost certain Shepard leads the nation in AMFs.) (That stands for “Aw, Man Fuck,” obviously.)


I'm sure hoping that Jess provides a lot of AMFs tonight!!!!

https://www.theringer.com/college-basketball/2018/3/30/17178558/notre-dame-uconn-ncaa-womens-basketball-final-four-columbus



_________________
neverthless she persisted
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12914



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A potential factor is the diversification of scoring. All five ND starters have scored 20 in at least one game in this tournament. Only Vivians and McCowan have scored 20 for Miss St.

Graves chose to leave Westbeld alone to provide help defense on others; Westbeld went 9/12 and burned them for 20. Geno chose Young as the player to leave alone, and she shot 10/15 and scored 32.

In two of the tourney games, all three of Ogunbowale, Shepard and Mabrey scored 20+.

Miss St's 3 guards (presumably defending Ogunbowale, Mabrey and Young) are 5'5", 5'7" and 5'7".


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't particularly 'care' who wins. Just hoping for a good clean game. If pushed to pick, I'd take MsSt because of all their seniors and especially ViVi. I think ND will be just as good, probably better next year. Don't think it will be so easy for MsSt to replace those four seniors even with the big girl in the middle.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4972



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
A potential factor is the diversification of scoring. All five ND starters have scored 20 in at least one game in this tournament. Only Vivians and McCowan have scored 20 for Miss St.

Graves chose to leave Westbeld alone to provide help defense on others; Westbeld went 9/12 and burned them for 20. Geno chose Young as the player to leave alone, and she shot 10/15 and scored 32.

In two of the tourney games, all three of Ogunbowale, Shepard and Mabrey scored 20+.

Miss St's 3 guards (presumably defending Ogunbowale, Mabrey and Young) are 5'5", 5'7" and 5'7".


I'm assuming that this is Bob Nagle, ND radio guy that's been around the team for probably longer than Muffet has.

He has a nice breakdown/list of NDs scoring in the tourney.

Quote:
ND has had a different leading scorer from game to game -- with Arike the only repeater. Arike has finished in the top 3 in all five games, Jess in four, Jackie in three, Marina in two and Kat in one.


https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=mcgraw;pid=56399;d=this



_________________
neverthless she persisted
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5102
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm rooting for a 30 point MSSt win, although 10 points would do.

However, I voted for ND to win because they obviously have great offense and their defense has been better in the tournament than I expected. It would be hard for Schaefer, who is known for defense, to play worse defense than Oregon and UConn did against the Irish, and I can't believe Young and Ogumbowale will both have A+ games again. Nevertheless, I'm not sure the Bulldogs can score enough themselves to win.
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1071



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't care who wins, as long as it's good play worthy of the national championship game. I did, however, pick ND in the poll primarily because they have Muffet. I also hope the officiating is a lot better than Friday.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57582
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The only previous time UConn lost in the semis and Stanford wasn't in the F4 was 2001, when Notre Dame hammered the Hussies then went on to edge Purdue for the title.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
CompSci87



Joined: 15 Mar 2009
Posts: 678
Location: Palo Alto, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 3:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Who do I want to win? Anyone but UConn.

So I'm sure to be happy with the result! Laughing


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3603



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
A potential factor is the diversification of scoring. All five ND starters have scored 20 in at least one game in this tournament. Only Vivians and McCowan have scored 20 for Miss St.

Graves chose to leave Westbeld alone to provide help defense on others; Westbeld went 9/12 and burned them for 20. Geno chose Young as the player to leave alone, and she shot 10/15 and scored 32.

In two of the tourney games, all three of Ogunbowale, Shepard and Mabrey scored 20+.

Miss St's 3 guards (presumably defending Ogunbowale, Mabrey and Young) are 5'5", 5'7" and 5'7".


I'm assuming that this is Bob Nagle, ND radio guy that's been around the team for probably longer than Muffet has.

He has a nice breakdown/list of NDs scoring in the tourney.

Quote:
ND has had a different leading scorer from game to game -- with Arike the only repeater. Arike has finished in the top 3 in all five games, Jess in four, Jackie in three, Marina in two and Kat in one.


https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=mcgraw;pid=56399;d=this


It's actually not anyone associated with ND basketball or the broadcasting industry. He's just a fan on McGraw's Bench who likes to give us periodic stat breakdowns that highlight interesting factoids. I know that because he was questioned earlier this season and that was his response.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4972



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
A potential factor is the diversification of scoring. All five ND starters have scored 20 in at least one game in this tournament. Only Vivians and McCowan have scored 20 for Miss St.

Graves chose to leave Westbeld alone to provide help defense on others; Westbeld went 9/12 and burned them for 20. Geno chose Young as the player to leave alone, and she shot 10/15 and scored 32.

In two of the tourney games, all three of Ogunbowale, Shepard and Mabrey scored 20+.

Miss St's 3 guards (presumably defending Ogunbowale, Mabrey and Young) are 5'5", 5'7" and 5'7".


I'm assuming that this is Bob Nagle, ND radio guy that's been around the team for probably longer than Muffet has.

He has a nice breakdown/list of NDs scoring in the tourney.

Quote:
ND has had a different leading scorer from game to game -- with Arike the only repeater. Arike has finished in the top 3 in all five games, Jess in four, Jackie in three, Marina in two and Kat in one.


https://ndnation.com/boards/showpost.php?b=mcgraw;pid=56399;d=this


It's actually not anyone associated with ND basketball or the broadcasting industry. He's just a fan on McGraw's Bench who likes to give us periodic stat breakdowns that highlight interesting factoids. I know that because he was questioned earlier this season and that was his response.



Thanks for the clarification. I just assumed. Smile



_________________
neverthless she persisted
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect ND will win.

I *hope* the program that does not have a national title in its history gets one tonight.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4972



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did MM travel on that drive?



_________________
neverthless she persisted
bballgrl



Joined: 15 Sep 2007
Posts: 3378



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 5:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Did MM travel on that drive?


Indeed she did!! Did they call it, no! but they called a travel at the other end which I didn't see.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4972



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/01/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kat with an o board!!!! Smile



_________________
neverthless she persisted
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin