RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Auriemma unglued, Lobo, spinning over Elliot ouster
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acsuc99

PostPosted: 03/22/18 4:06 pm    ::: Auriemma unglued, Lobo, spinning over Elliot ouster Reply Reply with quote

Geno on twitter:

Geno Auriemma
‏ @GenoAjustsayin
11h11 hours ago
Positively disgraceful that Jamelle Elliott was let go at Cincinnati.Anyone interested in that job would be well advised to do their homework.

ACSUC99 FACT CHECK: Jamelle was 113-162 in 9 years at Cincinnati and never came close to an NCAA berth. Her best team this year scored 21 points against UConn...for the entire game in the AAC tournament.

Replying to @nrhinds
Her contract isn’t up idiot. And she took the worst job in the league. Good luck with the next coach. If u were gonna fire her fire her two years ago

ACSUC99: Is it really possible to prove what the worst job in the AAC is? The choices are so many lol! Couldn't you say that a couple of years ago Oregon State and Oregon were the worse jobs in the Pac 12? Wasn't Miss State and South Carolina 2 of the worst in the SEC? Should an AD really not aim for better than what Elliot was giving? Isn't it good AD's are caring enough about their women's programs to hold under performing coaches responsible and aim for more with their women's programs? In this decade alone it has produced Baylor, Maryland, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Mississippi State, Oregon State, Oregon, Syracuse, Washington, and a resurgent Texas.

They should have fired her 2 years ago is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Rebecca Lobo
‏Verified account @RebeccaLobo
23h23 hours ago
Rebecca Lobo Retweeted David Siegel
Jamelle led Cincy to their best record in 15 years. She didn’t utter a word of complaint when her AD moved the team to a high school gym this season. Wow... good luck to the next coach.

ACSUC99: Should they have moved them to a 20,000 seat arena? How many do they draw a game? It was for one season. How does that explain the entire 9 year underwhelming performance?

Does anyone challenge these people?

dtsnms

PostPosted: 03/22/18 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The point being made is you could've bought her out when she had poor seasons, and it would be explainable.

Instead, the AD moved them to a HS gym while the men played at another college, and she turned things around and made the postseason.

NOW you let her go? After that season? The optics suck.

Not only have you put your program in a position where they are in a lousy conference, you've shown no interest in women's sports, but you've taken a poor conference, and made them look even worse.

No one is saying she's had a great career there, but if you are going to give her this past season, live with the results. They didn't have to go long-term, but a one or two year extension seems warranted.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/22/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is literally a WIN or go home situation .

PostPosted: 03/22/18 5:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
The point being made is you could've bought her out when she had poor seasons, and it would be explainable.

Instead, the AD moved them to a HS gym while the men played at another college, and she turned things around and made the postseason.

Not only have you put your program in a position where they are in a lousy conference, you've shown no interest in women's sports, but you've taken a poor conference, and made them look even worse.

No one is saying she's had a great career there, but if you are going to give her this past season, live with the results. They didn't have to go long-term, but a one or two year extension seems warranted.

I think they let her go because her contract was up. She really hasn't done performed well at Cincinnati. Here is a quick analysis I posted on the Boneyard:

Of course it is sad when one of your former players and longtime assistant coaches gets released, but despite the Bearcats improved record this season, her tenure has not been marked by success. Just as a quick metric, I looked at the Massey rankings of Cincinnati for all the years he has data, 1997-8 (9Cool season to 2018 (1Cool:

98: 50
99: 50
00: 77
01: 74
02: 29
03: 47
04: 104
05: 223
06: 77
07: 104
08: 102
09: 81
10: 111
11: 165
12: 90
13: 156
14: 112
15: 279
16: 255
17: 181
18: 109

The bolded years represent her tenure. Her first four years were the in the Big East and the rest was in the American (underlined). While her record was better this season, the Massey ranking was not quite top 100, suggesting the record may have been inflated a bit because it was a bad year for the American. With her contract ending this season, it looks like it was time for a change, as Cincinnati performed better before her arrival. I know several posters lamented the lack of support that WBB had at Cincinnati, so maybe a change in venue will do her good.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/22/18 5:05 pm    ::: Re: Auriemma unglued, Lobo, spinning over Elliot ouster Reply Reply with quote

acsuc99 wrote:
Geno on twitter:

Geno Auriemma
‏ @GenoAjustsayin
11h11 hours ago
Positively disgraceful that Jamelle Elliott was let go at Cincinnati.Anyone interested in that job would be well advised to do their homework.

Is that really Geno's twitter account?

stever

PostPosted: 03/22/18 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She had 9 years, Geno might be way short on the objectivity here.

yhave1ne

PostPosted: 03/22/18 5:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her contract was up and she scheduled cupcakes the past 2 seasons outside of the AAC to make her record look better.

They did not even come close to filling the high school gym that they played in this year.

She was not a good coach and there were many things she was unsuccessful at as a head coach. I think she should stick to being an assistant coach for the rest of her coaching career.

She made it this long because of the contract extension given to her by the exiting AD.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yhave1ne wrote:
Her contract was up and she scheduled cupcakes the past 2 seasons outside of the AAC to make her record look better.

They did play Ohio State this year and didn't get embarrassed by them. The rest of the non-con schedule is pastry-esque.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Geno wants to hire her as his successor in waiting. Twisted Evil Put your money where your mouth is...

- Amanda Gorman
bballjunkie

PostPosted: 03/22/18 6:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="dtsnms"]The point being made is you could've bought her out when she had poor seasons, and it would be explainable.

No one is saying she's had a great career there, but if you are going to give her this past season, live with the results. They didn't have to go long-term, but a one or two year extension seems warranted.[/quote]

THIS for those who really care that the current situation doesn’t fly with what the AD did.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess honoring a contract is frowned upon these days?

She was lucky to have lasted as long as she did, imo, and hardly earned an extension.

Good pt re: UConn fans crying foul- you want JE to replace Geno?

Yeah, neither do I.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cthskzfn wrote:
I guess honoring a contract is frowned upon these days?

She was lucky to have lasted as long as she did, imo, and hardly earned an extension.

Good pt re: UConn fans crying foul- you want JE to replace Geno?

Yeah, neither do I.

Man, I was just about to post the same thing. Seriously, just because she made the NIT after 8 shitty seasons, she should get a new contract? She should be thanking her lucky stars (and her UConn pedigree) that she wasn't kicked to the curb 3 or 4 years ago. There's no question she was given much longer than any other new coach would have gotten.

PRballer

PostPosted: 03/22/18 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:

This ^

Also, did Geno call a fellow Twitter user an "idiot"? Laughing

tfan

PostPosted: 03/22/18 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
stever wrote:

This ^

There's no blue check mark with that account showing that Twitter has verified it as Geno Auriemma. I would bet it isn't him.

beknighted

PostPosted: 03/23/18 7:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I saw she'd been let go and I looked at the last few seasons, I was somewhat surprised, but then I remembered how long she'd been there, and it's hard to say she'd justified an extension. There just wasn't any progress over the long term.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/23/18 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
PRballer wrote:
stever wrote:

This ^

There's no blue check mark with that account showing that Twitter has verified it as Geno Auriemma. I would bet it isn't him.

Well, one took the high road.

Quote:
UConn confirmed that the Twitter account belongs to Auriemma. Cincinnati declined to comment on Auriemma's tweet.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22873849/uconn-huskies-coach-geno-auriemma-criticizes-cincinnati-bearcats-firing-coach-jamelle-elliott

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/23/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
stever wrote:

This ^

It wouldn't surprise me. He's used that kind of language in the past.

PostPosted: 03/23/18 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
stever wrote:

This ^

Some sites ban people for calling other users idiots

PostPosted: 03/23/18 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PRballer wrote:
stever wrote:

This ^

Sigh. The game misses Pat Summitt.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/23/18 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wanna know the back story as the timing is weird. Wonder if we'll get the juicy detes.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/23/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
I wanna know the back story as the timing is weird. Wonder if we'll get the juicy detes.

The timing seems to be "when her contract ended."

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 03/23/18 3:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh I thought it said her contract wasn't up, thats why I was wondering about the timing and the drama Cool

btharner

PostPosted: 03/23/18 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno seems to have a father-daughter type relationship with all his players, past and present. This is a heated reaction to one of them losing a job. I'm sure many parents can relate to that situation.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/23/18 4:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
pilight wrote:
PRballer wrote:
stever wrote:

This ^

+1

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/23/18 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PRballer wrote:
pilight wrote:
PRballer wrote:
stever wrote:

This ^

+1

Yeah, what WCB really needs are more bullshit cheating allegations/lies.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: