RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

DO NOT CONGRATULATE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/22/18 8:43 am    ::: DO NOT CONGRATULATE Reply Reply with quote

But, to add some balance on this story that seems to be entirely about Trump’s ongoing fawning obsequiousness toward Putin, this from Axios.

A White House official, furious about the WaPo story: “This is the way Trump is. If he’s doing business with you or working with you in some way, he’s going to congratulate you."

The official said: "The idea he’s being soft on Russia is crap. He approved Javelin missiles to Ukraine, closed the consulate in San Francisco, approved the sanctions. ... But ... he doesn’t want his personal relationship [with Putin] to be acrimonious."

Trump's view is there’s a lot of business to be done, and overlapping interests, and if the relationship between the two countries "is to rebuilt, the line has to be through the personal, leader-to-leader level.”

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/18 8:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This whole story is way overblown

PostPosted: 03/22/18 9:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I agree. He (for once) was not wrong that Obama did the same thing in 2012.

Of course I also find it hilarious that it was in caps in his daily briefing from his advisors (probably because they knew it would be blown out of proportion), and he just ignored it.

Also that he us so despised even amongst his own senior staff that someone leaked this memo.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
pilight wrote:

I agree. He (for once) was not wrong that Obama did the same thing in 2012.

There were not allegations and findings of Russian interference in American elections in 2012.

But you (and pilight) are not wrong in that the story is overblown and other Presidents have congratulated Putin. Having better relations with foreign nations is always a good goal.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm as anxious for this shit show to be over as the most rabid resister. And I've said that I believe Trump obstructed justice. In fact, that a legal hook didn't appear from stage left and yank him off the stage in the days following the Lester Holt interview indicates to me how shortsighted are our laws that could potentially be applied at this level. That the law isn't so clear that it would be unambiguous in this case, that there isn't a situation where obstruction of justice is no longer even debatable, all of that is just depressing as hell. It's like the NFL trying to figure out what a catch is.

That said, unlike The Restisterance, I don't view Trump as being quite the devil incarnate that so many people see him as. He's a scoundrel for sure. But that's just his bad side. His good side, and this is the real problem, is that he's completely unqualified to be president, either morally, intellectually, temperamentally, mostly everything. He's got balls and I think somewhere at its heart some of the politics are actually lined up pretty well with a lot of the feelings out in America and even my own views in certain areas.

So while the media just blows every little thing he does up in a way that is attempting, it seems, to win over the resistance generation, I think you can chalk up just about everything Trump has done so far as being just simply the fact that he is one of, if not, the most ill-qualified presidents we've ever had. And, given the context of present world affairs, I think we've been pretty lucky so far that it hasn't already blown up in our faces. That job just doesn't work without a person there who knows what he or she is doing or, in this case, cares. So disasters are on the horizon, I predict that.

That's not to say that the media, in among their many take-downs of the Trump presidency, doesn't constantly point out how inappropriate he is by most every measure. They've worn pointing that out, out. I think that's the ONE thing the world does know about Donald Trump. He's ill-prepared, inadequate, whatever you want to call it, for the job he now has.

But my point is that that is what's really going on here. He's not plotting to be the next Mussolini. He's an old-school womanizer but that doesn't mean he has his foot on the throat of progress for women, reproductive rights excluded. That's just one example. He's not really like that. And I think his problems with Russia have more to do with embarrassing real estate entanglements than collusion or things like that. I could be wrong. It happens.

But just project forward in your minds what being hopelessly not up to THIS job looks like as a literal reality. Luck will only get all of us so far and then we're going to be shit out of luck. War with North Korea is a possibility. Trump might decide that with talk of a meeting in the air, that might be the perfect time to *surprise* vaporize the Korean peninsula.

I just find it hard to believe something that I used to believe to some degree on certain levels and that is that it doesn't matter who is in the White House, that shit just goes on sort of unaffected here in America itself. This isn't that any more. Summer is coming. Who knows what Trump might do in reaction to a 24-7 domestic crisis like Ferguson and what his reaction might trigger.

jammerbirdi

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Speaking of Obama. One of the great easy moments when a person can point to something and say, jeez, I really don't know as much as I think I do... was that moment, and the aftermath, in Obama's debate with Mitt Romney when the question came about what's the greatest foreign threat, etc. and Romney said Russia. And as much as I despise Mitt Romney, at that moment, you almost felt for him. You could see the word Russia come out of his mouth, travel about three feet through the air and then fall dead to the ground. It was that bad. And then there was smug Obama, along with the voices inside all of our know-it-all heads, ready to spring with some smart-ass comment, which he did. Something like, What do you think, Mitt? It's still the 1950s? The Cold War. Or whatever he said.

Ha.

Ha.

Ha.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/22/18 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Trump just hired the ultimate sabre rattling chicken hawk in John Bolton to replace McMaster as National Security Advisor. The good news for Bolton is that he gets a job he was angling for from the beginning. The bad news for Bolton is that now he has to work for Trump and the clock is now ticking towards his ultimate firing. The latter is good news for everybody else.

Randy

PostPosted: 03/26/18 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jammerbirdi wrote:
Mitt Romney when the question came about what's the greatest foreign threat, etc. and Romney said Russia.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Pogo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: