RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

r.i.p., northern white rhino

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » Area 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sambista

PostPosted: 03/21/18 8:52 am    ::: r.i.p., northern white rhino Reply Reply with quote

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/03/20/africa/last-male-white-rhino-dies-intl/index.html

PostPosted: 03/21/18 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Always a bit sad. I'm thinking this could be a great opportunity for cloning, no?

PostPosted: 03/21/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Always a bit sad. I'm thinking this could be a great opportunity for cloning, no?

i heard them saying something about saved eggs, (sperm?) and whatnot. they have a plan, such as things are, but still . . . the tv report i saw left me wondering if they'd try to mate the remaining female white rhinos with some other kind of male rhino - what those prospects would be.

when the report was airing, i immediately thought of the lowbrow trump brothers.

PostPosted: 03/21/18 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would they clone for zoo purposes? The environment that led to their extinction still exists.

I’ve read that they’re trying to bring back the wholly mammoth for ecological reasons.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Howee

PostPosted: 03/21/18 11:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sambista wrote:
Howee wrote:

i heard them saying something about saved eggs, (sperm?) and whatnot. they have a plan, such as things are, but still . . . the tv report i saw left me wondering if they'd try to mate the remaining female white rhinos with some other kind of male rhino - what those prospects would be.

when the report was airing, i immediately thought of the lowbrow trump brothers.

In theory, they could even produce embryos in a lab by extracting eggs from the females and joining them with the now-deceased male's sperm; these could be preserved and implanted into other similar rhinos, and still be born as the purebred white rhinos. This could bolster their numbers to save them from the brink of extinction. Of course, these procedures require large monies, and often these African countries don't have the financial resources to devote to it. But, awareness can lead to surprising things.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's also the fact that both of the remaining female northern white rhinos are his inbred daughters, so viability is a serious, serious question.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: