RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
#Occasionalwnbafan wrote:
ucbart wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:
Also worth noting, Sabrina was ranked #4 in her class and the next best player (as it has turned out), Ruthy Heard was ranked #78!

This isn't a team with multiple top 10 recruits ...

Sabrina Ionescu will be the best guard to come out of WCBB since Diana Taurasi. She's just so much smarter than everyone else, IMO.

Seimone Augustus has had a fine pro career.

Same For Whalen in 05.

I could see an argument, in two years, that Ionescu is the best playmaker/facilitator coming out of college since Taurasi...

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Completely disagree. First Hebard is the gem in the PAC. Teams have to adjust for her as she has great touch around the basket and attracts the double. Second the PG on OR is Carzola. She takes control when the game is on the line and always picks up the toughest defensive assignment as the others can’t play D. If you listen to Graves Comments he points out that they can’t let Ionescu run the point as she tries to do too much and turns the ball over. You have to remember that she is playing with one of the top 3 point shooters in the nation and top FG% post in the nation.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
Having placed 4 teams in the NCAA Tourney's Sweet 16 only once in the entire history of the conference, the Pac has now accomplished that feat each of the past 3 tournaments

Even that one previous one is a technicality. The Pac 10 didn't sponsor women's basketball in 1985. The P10 schools that did have WBB affiliated with other western orphans in WBB only conferences, including one called the Western Collegiate Athletic Association. It was that affiliated group that placed four in the S16 (USC, UCLA, Long Beach State, San Diego State). The NCAA generally credits the P10 for achievements of the WCAA. The P10 didn't sponsor WBB until the 1986-87 season.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballjunkie wrote:
Second the PG on OR is Carzola.

That is why I said playmaker/facilitator. Technically, Maria Conlon was the designated PG for UConn in 2003 and 2004.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/22/18 2:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree on the Taurasi / Ionescu comparison. Honestly, that's all I think when I see Sabrina is Diana and how she elevates the people around her.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/22/18 2:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The conventional wisdom on Oregon is that they have a great offense but mediocre defense. This is statistically valid. While the Ducks are second to UConn in O-PPP, they are 101st in D-PPP, tied with High Point and Maryland Eastern Shore. Still, Oregon is better in D-PPP than sister #1 seed Notre Dame, which is 113th.

I'll post the current O-PPP and D-PPP ranks for all the Sweet 16 teams in a separate thread.

I'm not ready to anoint Ionescu on the altar of Taurasi, though she'll surely end up with gaudier individual college stats. If Ionescu had gone to UConn, would she have started over Nurse or Chong/Dangerfield the past two years?
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/22/18 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
I agree on the Taurasi / Ionescu comparison. Honestly, that's all I think when I see Sabrina is Diana and how she elevates the people around her.

Agreed i dont think her stroke is as fluid as taurasi's back then , but her IQ is just about there .

PostPosted: 03/22/18 4:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The conventional wisdom on Oregon is that they have a great offense but mediocre defense. This is statistically valid. While the Ducks are second to UConn in O-PPP, they are 101st in D-PPP, tied with High Point and Maryland Eastern Shore. Still, Oregon is better in D-PPP than sister #1 seed Notre Dame, which is 113th.

I'll post the current O-PPP and D-PPP ranks for all the Sweet 16 teams in a separate thread.

I'm not ready to anoint Ionescu on the altar of Taurasi, though she'll surely end up with gaudier individual college stats. If Ionescu had gone to UConn, would she have started over Nurse or Chong/Dangerfield the past two years?

Id like to think she would , if she had not then she made the right choice in Oregon . She plays hard , id take her over all 3 players named.

PostPosted: 03/22/18 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Glenn. At 6’6” Stevens does not start at Uconn, so Glenn knows what he is talking about.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: