RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Oregon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/18/18 10:52 pm    ::: Oregon Reply Reply with quote

Has any program turned around with players this young this quick? Like in a 2 year span!

It almost reminds me of Skylar Diggins and Notre Dame. This being the Sabrina effect on Oregon.

But still. Oregon is SO freakin' young. And doing this with players who are probably exceeding expectations. It's almost like this is what is SUPPOSED to happen to teams that sign a top recruiting class and it almost never does, or atleast not until they are Seniors (IE Cal in 2013).

I am so impressed by Oregon and can only imagine what they can do next year and the year after that with many of these returners.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/18/18 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Also worth noting, Sabrina was ranked #4 in her class and the next best player (as it has turned out), Ruthy Heard was ranked #78!

This isn't a team with multiple top 10 recruits ...

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/19/18 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Also worth noting, Sabrina was ranked #4 in her class and the next best player (as it has turned out), Ruthy Heard was ranked #78!

Sabrina Ionescu will be the best guard to come out of WCBB since Diana Taurasi. She's just so much smarter than everyone else, IMO.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/19/18 10:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They also have the money and facility which should help to continue to attract top recruits. kudos to Graves.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
They also have the money and facility which should help to continue to attract top recruits. kudos to Graves.

Wrong. Kudos to NIKE, and don't you forget that.

PostPosted: 03/19/18 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:

No. You're wrong. You still have to recruit and Graves and his staff are pretty darn good at that.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/18 11:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Yeah, that's why all the previous Oregon coaches did so well

PostPosted: 03/19/18 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I think sb's point was that Nike supplied the money and the facilities, so obviously they get the kudos for those, not Graves. Kudos to Graves for recruiting and coaching.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/18 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I think sb's point was that Nike supplied the money and the facilities, so obviously they get the kudos for those, not Graves. Kudos to Graves for recruiting and coaching.

Exactly. But once the recruits get a look at those facilities, they can't help being a little bit dazzled. It's just like once Tennessee recruits get a look at TBA and Tennessee's facilities, which are the best in the SEC.

PostPosted: 03/19/18 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok so all this being said (all the bickering about NIKE) but the point is outside of Sabrina Ionescu none of the recruits were tip top recruits. Hebard was in the 70's!!!

How is so much being done, so quickly with 1 top recruit when other programs are getting multiple top 10 recruits or year after year and can't get do this type of turn-around let alone maintain it?

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't say he wasn't a great coach. I merely said Nike was responsible for the fancy facilities and it helps a LOT.

PostPosted: 03/19/18 1:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Doubt it happens, but isn't it possible for Ionescu to declare for the 2018 draft?

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
tfan

PostPosted: 03/19/18 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

They are definitely not stocked with top recruits like you would normally find on a top team.

Hebard though, was higher than 78 per another service (not sure who you are citing) ESPN/HoopGurlz had Hebard at #40 (still not top 10), and says she was invited to a USA Basketball tryout.

There is a recruit ranked significantly higher than Hebard - but not really being utilized. Sierra Campisano (who averaged 8.6mpg last year and 6.4mpg this year) was rated #14 in 2016 by ESPN/HoopGurlz. Rounding out 2016 rankings, Morgan Yaeger was #92 and Mallory McGuire was #98.

Also slightly higher than Gebard, in 2015, Otiona Gildon (13.9mpg) was ranked #37 by ESPN/HoopGurlz.

Sabally was ranked #21 at her position by ESPN and not in the top 100. I have to believe that if she was playing in the USA she would have been a recruit with multiple good schools going after her. They also have the Spaniard who may have been ranked if in the USA.

But yeah, they are over-achieving based on high school rankings.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/19/18 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
Doubt it happens, but isn't it possible for Ionescu to declare for the 2018 draft?

Not sure why you think she is that old, but she can declare for the 2019 draft.

She’s racking up records and trying to take Oregon to a championship. If she wins a championship in 2018 or 2019, maybe there’s a sliver of a chance for her to declare early in 2019, but she seems to enjoy where she’s at.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
stever

PostPosted: 03/19/18 5:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Sabrina Ionescu will be the best guard to come out of WCBB since Diana Taurasi. She's just so much smarter than everyone else, IMO.

That was my first impression of her in Nov '16...obvious talent & DT-level swag.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/18 5:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ionescu is the #1 pick whenever she comes out

PostPosted: 03/19/18 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Yep. The Storm are going to blow the next season and end up winning the lottery. Then the Lynx will take their pick and draft Whalen's replacement. Bwahahahahaha! Cool

PostPosted: 03/19/18 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Even over Kalani Brown & Samuelson in 2019??

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/18 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Even over Kalani Brown & Samuelson in 2019??

Without question

PostPosted: 03/19/18 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I love Ionescu but what was Oregon's best win out of conference? Texas A&m?they are a weak top seed imo.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/19/18 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
I love Ionescu but what was Oregon's best win out of conference? Texas A&m?they are a weak top seed imo.

That's a better non-con win than Baylor or South Carolina had. Are they weak top seeds also?

PostPosted: 03/19/18 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Graves is a phenomenal coach. Great hire by Oregon, and as a Pac-12 fan, I'm certainly glad the Ducks finally showed some support to its women's basketball program after the fiasco that was Graves' predecessor.

Ionescu is the sh!t. She is as fun to watch as maybe any other player I have seen. Yes, future #1 draft pick. Future NT member. She's an amazing player.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/19/18 10:10 pm    ::: Re: Oregon Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Has any program turned around with players this young this quick? Like in a 2 year span!

In 1997 ND graduated 4 starters when they made their first Final Four. The next year, with 2 freshmen and a redshirt freshman starting they made the Sweet Sixteen after beating #1 Texas Tech on their home court. The follow year (2 years after graduating 4 starters) ND was a top 10 team for almost the entire season, with 2 sophomore starters (Ruth Riley and Kelley Siemon) and a redshirt sophomore (Niele Ivey).

Hoops9092 wrote:

Ruth Riley was ranked #53. Siemon was around #80 or so. I never saw a ranking for Ivey. I think Sheila McMillen (senior) might have been close to a top 25 ranking.

Note: I'm just answering the question. I'm not trying to belittle the great job Graves has done.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/19/18 10:37 pm    ::: Re: Oregon Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

In 1997 ND graduated 4 starters when they made their first Final Four. The next year, with 2 freshmen and a redshirt freshman starting they made the Sweet Sixteen after beating #1 Texas Tech on their home court. The follow year (2 years after graduating 4 starters) ND was a top 10 team for almost the entire season, with 2 sophomore starters (Ruth Riley and Kelley Siemon) and a redshirt sophomore (Niele Ivey).

Hoops9092 wrote:

Ruth Riley was ranked #53. Siemon was around #80 or so. I never saw a ranking for Ivey. I think Sheila McMillen (senior) might have been close to a top 25 ranking.

Note: I'm just answering the question. I'm not trying to belittle the great job Graves has done.

That's not a turnaround. That is a team getting a national title a few years after being in the Final Four.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/19/18 11:22 pm    ::: Re: Oregon Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

Hoops9092 wrote:

High school rankings are BS. Period. Nice to have, but basically worthless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: