RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

14 Liberty @ 3 Tennessee - 3/16 2 PM ET

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/12/18 11:55 pm    ::: 14 Liberty @ 3 Tennessee - 3/16 2 PM ET Reply Reply with quote

First Round - Lexington Region

Last edited by calbearman76 on 03/16/18 4:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
willtalk

PostPosted: 03/15/18 7:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I understand that Holly pledged more than just her career on winning this game. She promised that if the Vols should lose, she would take the honorable way out by committing Hari Kari. She claimed to have been inspired by Patrick Henry's statement "Give me Liberty or give me death".

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/16/18 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tenn looks discombobulated, as per usual. Liberty just looks overmatched. Sad

adamj95

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

4 point game. Liberty playing well.

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One of you rule-gurus please explain that call to me.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'm so confused! Confused So if the ball goes through the rim, through the net but doesn't make it out, the point doesn't count? What on earth?!

Last edited by WfanFrJmp on 03/16/18 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
adamj95

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've never seen that happen before.

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee isn't winning this game,the Liberty are losing it(unforced turnovers,lack of defensive rebounding,missed open shots)

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
I've never seen that happen before.

Neither have the officials apparently.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WfanFrJmp wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'm so confused! Confused So if the ball goes through the rim, through the net but doesn't make it out, the point doesn't count? What on earth?!

The net is part of the basket. The ball has to go all the way through for it to count. It's the same as if the ball stopped on the back iron.

PostPosted: 03/16/18 2:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So if the official hadn't whistled a foul, would it have been interference when the Liberty player hit the net, since the ball was below the rim? Can a Tenn player hit the net to knock the ball through?

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/16/18 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Now 82-48.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/16/18 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

100-60 final. Hopefully Tenn's lousy FT shooting won't bite them in the *** down the road.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 03/16/18 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hear you Pilight but the difference between this and the back iron (or the beloved wedgie) is that neither of those would have made it through the rim It's such a weird call but hey, what can I say except? Confused Laughing and I'm glad they got the win.

FrozenLVFan wrote:
100-60 final. Hopefully Tenn's lousy FT shooting won't bite them in the *** down the road.

Indeed, the free throws were ridiculous! I couldn't believe Westbrook only shoots like 55% from there. That seems quite odd for a PG, no? Hopefully, they clean that up!

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/16/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WfanFrJmp wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'm so confused! :? So if the ball goes through the rim, through the net but doesn't make it out, the point doesn't count? What on earth?!

The net is part of the basket. The ball has to go all the way through for it to count. It's the same as if the ball stopped on the back iron.

Here is the rule from the NCAA Rule Book (2009 edition, but I don't believe it has changed):

Section 33. Goal Art. 1. A goal shall be made when: a. A live ball that is not a throw-in enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through; or b. A free throw enters the basket from above and remains in or passes through. Art. 2. Whether the game clock is running or stopped shall have no influence on the counting of a goal.

The basket clearly should have counted and only one FT awarded. Also there is a rule regarding the basket that states:

Section 13. Baskets—Size, Material Art. 1. Each basket shall consist of a single metal ring, 18 inches inside diameter, its flange and braces, and a white-cord, 12-mesh net, 15 to 18 inches in length, suspended from beneath the ring. Art. 2. Each ring shall measure not more than 5/8 inch in diameter, with the possible addition of small-gauge loops on the under-edge or a smaller ring located directly under the required ring for attaching a 12-mesh net. Each ring and its attaching flange and braces shall be bright orange in color. Art. 3. The cord of each net shall be not less than 120-thread nor more than 144-thread twine, or plastic material of comparable dimensions, and constructed so as to check the ball momentarily as it passes through.

Clearly the cord was in violation of Article 3 in that the ball did not merely get checked momentarily but actually stopped. The only remotely similar circumstance I can think of where a team did not properly follow the rules with regard to equipment was the College of Charleston who used the wrong basketballs and had to forfeit two games for CAA purposes. Perhaps the appropriate action at this point is for Tennessee to forfeit the win for not having appropriate nets.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/16/18 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Common sense says this basket counts. The net was too tight. So ridiculous.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/16/18 7:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The ball had already passed through that net at least a dozen times during the game, many more times during warmups, and maybe thousands of times if it wasn't a brand new net, not to mention another 30 times during the game. I'd really like to hear the officials' explanation for their ruling, because either the basket should have counted, or the faulty equipment rule been invoked and at a minimum the game stopped and the nets replaced. Fortunately, their decision had no bearing on the outcome of the game.

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/17/18 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When the game was first played the peach basket still had a bottom and the ball had to be removed after each made basket by a guy on a ladder. They just needed that guy with his ladder.

WfanFrJmp

PostPosted: 03/17/18 5:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yahoo was confused as well Laughing
https://sports.yahoo.com/refs-botch-call-ncaa-tournament-disallow-tennessee-layup-got-stuck-net-222356055.html?.tsrc=daily_mail&uh_test=2_02

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/17/18 12:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

100-60. The Flames were extinguished. I was kind of impressed by Cheridene Green. She hadn't played a lot during the year but she moves well and has a good sense of the court. Not as big as Mercedes but she's not nearly as stationary!And at least by the middle of the third the announcers had stopped calling her "Sheridan"!

PostPosted: 03/17/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
100-60. The Flames were extinguished. I was kind of impressed by Cheridene Green. She hadn't played a lot during the year but she moves well and has a good sense of the court. Not as big as Mercedes but she's not nearly as stationary!And at least by the middle of the third the announcers had stopped calling her "Sheridan"!

Green and KK will both bring a lot to the game next year that's been lacking with Russell...more mobility, aggressiveness, relentless rebounding, screens, pick-and-rolls, and most importantly, an ability to fit into the type of transition team that best suits the rest of the team. I'm sure more growing pains are ahead, but I'm not in the woe-is-me, Russell is leaving, mode.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/17/18 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

Green and KK will both bring a lot to the game next year that's been lacking with Russell...more mobility, aggressiveness, relentless rebounding, screens, pick-and-rolls, and most importantly, an ability to fit into the type of transition team that best suits the rest of the team. I'm sure more growing pains are ahead, but I'm not in the woe-is-me, Russell is leaving, mode.

KK is a typical young post player, needs some time to develop like most of them. I'm always mindful of what Geno said about some of his, that they were basically "worthless" for a couple of years LOL. I'm surprised at how much muscle she's put on this year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: