RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

WNIT Field
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ksuwbbfan



Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Location: Kansas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 8:21 pm    ::: WNIT Field Reply Reply with quote

Brackets announced later tonight.

Automatic Qualifiers

Alabama (17-13) - SEC
Albany (24-7) - America East
Ball State (24-6) - MAC
Bethune-Cookman (24-6) - MEAC
Bucknell (22-9) - Patriot
Drexel (26-7) - Colonial
Duquesne (23-7) - Atlantic 10
ETSU (20-12) - Southern
Idaho (19-13) - Big Sky
Indiana (17-14) - Big Ten
IUPUI (22-9) - Horizon
Jacksonville (24- 8) - Atlantic Sun
Lamar (22-7) - Southland
Marist (20-13) - Metro Atlantic
Missouri State (20-11) - MVC
New Mexico State (18-12) - WAC
Penn (21- 8) - Ivy
Radford (23- 8) - Big South
​Robert Morris (25-7) - NEC
St. John’s (16-14) - Big East
Saint Mary's (20-10) - West Coast
South Dakota (26-6) - Summit
Southern (17-13) - SWAC
TCU (19-12) - Big 12
Texas State (23-9) - Sun Belt
UAB (26-6) - Conference USA
UC Davis (25-6) - Big West
​UCF (21-10) - American
UNLV (19-11) - Mountain West
​UT Martin (19-14) - Ohio Valley
Virginia Tech (18-13) - ACC

At-Large Selections

Chattanooga (17-12) - Southern
Cincinnati (19-12) - American
Colorado State (20-11) - Mountain West
Delaware (19-12) - Colonial
Fordham (22-9) - Atlantic 10
George Mason (23-9) - Atlantic 10
Georgetown (15-15) - Big East
Georgia Tech (18-13) - ACC
Harvard (18-10) - Ivy
Houston (20-11) - American
James Madison (21-10) - Colonial
Kansas State (16-15) - Big 12
Louisiana Tech (19-11) - CUSA
Miami (OH) (21-10) - MAC
Michigan State (17-13) - Big Ten
MTSU (18-12) - CUSA
Milwaukee (20-11) - Horizon
Navy (25-7) - Patriot
New Mexico (23-10) - Mountain West
Northern Iowa (19-13) - MVC
Penn State (16-15) - Big Ten
Purdue (18-13) - Big Ten
Toledo (17-14) - MAC
Rice (22-9) - CUSA
Rutgers (20-12) - Big Ten
St. Joseph’s (18-14) - Atlantic 10
Saint Louis (17-15) - Atlantic 10
Seton Hall (16-15) - Big East
​Utah (17-13) - Pac-12
Western Illinois (22-9) - Summit
West Virginia (21-11) - Big 12
Wright State (23-10) - Horizon
Wyoming (21-10) - Mountain West


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

did USC decline the invite again?



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
did USC decline the invite again?


That's the word that's going around.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
ksuwbbfan



Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Location: Kansas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Their tweet:

"Proud of our 20-win season and the #FightOn in this team! Thank you to our coaches and to our seniors for your leadership, dedication and fight... We are Trojan Family for life! Great things ahead for all of these Women of Troy!#StayGold"


ksuwbbfan



Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Location: Kansas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rutgers has withdrawn. Replaced by Stephen F. Austin.

http://www.nj.com/rutgerswomen/index.ssf/2018/03/rutgers_womens_basketball_turns_down_wnit_bid_afte.html#incart_river_index




Last edited by ksuwbbfan on 03/12/18 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3129
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

First round matchups


ROUND ONE
​Wednesday, March 14:
Southern at Alabama
Jacksonville at UCF
St. Joseph’s at Seton Hall

Thursday, March 15:
Western Illinois at South Dakota
Houston at Colorado State
Cincinnati at Michigan State
Saint Mary’s at New Mexico
Texas State at Rice
Lamar at TCU
Missouri State at Louisiana Tech
Purdue at IUPUI
Middle Tennessee at Ball State
UT Martin at Indiana
Milwaukee at Northern Iowa
New Mexico State at Wyoming
Idaho at UC Davis
Saint Louis at Kansas State
UNLV at Utah
Bucknell at West Virginia
Radford at Penn State
ETSU at JMU
Marist at St. John’s
Duquesne at Miami (OH)
Bethune-Cookman at Georgia Tech
Chattanooga at UAB

Friday, March 16:
Wright State at Toledo
Albany at Penn
Delaware at Georgetown
Harvard at Fordham
Robert Morris at Drexel
Stephen F. Austin at George Mason
Navy at Virginia Tech


ksuwbbfan



Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 98
Location: Kansas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Here are the matchups.

https://www.womensnit.com/news/round-1-matchups-announced-for-2018-postseason-wnit


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3129
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie-

Home games on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

St Joseph's at Seton Hall 3/14
Marist @ St John's 3/15
Harvard @ Fordham 3/16


Matt5762



Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 499



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Did they forget South Dakota and Western Illinois are in the same conference Embarassed


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14443
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue declined to host, which is weird. Hopefully it's an indication that something is afoot behind the scenes in West Lafayette.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 10:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Queenie-

Home games on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

St Joseph's at Seton Hall 3/14
Marist @ St John's 3/15
Harvard @ Fordham 3/16


Two out of three ain't bad. (Traveling to and from Seton Hall on a weeknight is not in the cards.)



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 10:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
Did they forget South Dakota and Western Illinois are in the same conference Embarassed


They often do that. I've seen P12 matchups against each other in the second and third round repeatedly. It's because of the geographic thingie where they try to cut down travel expense.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Purdue declined to host, which is weird. Hopefully it's an indication that something is afoot behind the scenes in West Lafayette.


For teams that don't draw well, it's a money loser. Or there could simply have been a venue conflict.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Matt5762



Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Posts: 499



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Matt5762 wrote:
Did they forget South Dakota and Western Illinois are in the same conference Embarassed


They often do that. I've seen P12 matchups against each other in the second and third round repeatedly. It's because of the geographic thingie where they try to cut down travel expense.


Yeah, 2nd round on is par for the course in the WNIT but I don't think I've ever seen it in the 1st round.

...and I guess they didn't mean to do it either. Bracket version 2.0 just released:
Houston @ South Dakota
Western Illinois @ Colorado State


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14443
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Purdue declined to host, which is weird. Hopefully it's an indication that something is afoot behind the scenes in West Lafayette.


For teams that don't draw well, it's a money loser. Or there could simply have been a venue conflict.


Neither seem true. No conflicting event, and Purdue higher attendance that most of not all of the teams in tournament.

Or maybe I am just grasping at straws.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4972



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/12/18 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think I'll ever understand healthy teams turning down the WNIT or NIT.

It's not the NCAA, but if I have a team that is wanting to improve (and if you're hovering around the 65th best team, you have room for improvement), I think I'd rather be a top team in the WNIT instead of a bottom team in the NCAA.

Creme did an article on ESPN about OK being the last one in the NCAA and Rutgers being the first out. If Rutgers had gone to the WNIT they most likely would have played. more than one game. I'm pretty sure that OK is going to be one-n-done.

Unless there are some pretty extreme extenuating circumstances, IMO, this is the dumbest thing a school could do. It's like thumbing your nose at the NCAA.

Has a team that turned down the WNIT one year been an at large NCAA team the next year?



_________________
neverthless she persisted
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3176
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/18 7:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Purdue declined to host, which is weird. Hopefully it's an indication that something is afoot behind the scenes in West Lafayette.


For teams that don't draw well, it's a money loser. Or there could simply have been a venue conflict.


If you look at Purdue's (vastly inflated) attendance numbers, that wouldn't be true for them. Per a recent interview with Versyp, they'd decided weeks ago that they wouldn't bid to host.


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9319



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
I don't think I'll ever understand healthy teams turning down the WNIT or NIT.

It's not the NCAA, but if I have a team that is wanting to improve (and if you're hovering around the 65th best team, you have room for improvement), I think I'd rather be a top team in the WNIT instead of a bottom team in the NCAA.

Creme did an article on ESPN about OK being the last one in the NCAA and Rutgers being the first out. If Rutgers had gone to the WNIT they most likely would have played. more than one game. I'm pretty sure that OK is going to be one-n-done.

Unless there are some pretty extreme extenuating circumstances, IMO, this is the dumbest thing a school could do. It's like thumbing your nose at the NCAA.

Has a team that turned down the WNIT one year been an at large NCAA team the next year?


Generally, one of the biggest advantages is more practice, given how limited the time is that coaches can spend with players.

But if a lot of players are dinged up, or the coach feels that more practice time would just exacerbate chemistry issues, then there's no need.

And sometimes, a season should be over -- for example, if the players and coaches are all feeling good about the past year and the future, why take a chance on having things start going in the opposite direction?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/18 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Matt5762 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
Matt5762 wrote:
Did they forget South Dakota and Western Illinois are in the same conference Embarassed


They often do that. I've seen P12 matchups against each other in the second and third round repeatedly. It's because of the geographic thingie where they try to cut down travel expense.


Yeah, 2nd round on is par for the course in the WNIT but I don't think I've ever seen it in the 1st round.

...and I guess they didn't mean to do it either. Bracket version 2.0 just released:
Houston @ South Dakota
Western Illinois @ Colorado State


I'm wondering how much stuff was planned before Rutgers said LOL NAH and how much reshuffling they had to do.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4887
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/18 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU hosting again, starting with ETSU. Any potential matchup with VA Tech, which a lot of people wanted to see, would be several wins down the road. I'd prefer it would occur next fall when it won't matter so much Wink



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1071



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/13/18 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are all the games on ESPN3? I understand CBS Sports Network is broadcasting the final.


5thmantheme



Joined: 11 Apr 2016
Posts: 396



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/18 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
JMU hosting again, starting with ETSU. Any potential matchup with VA Tech, which a lot of people wanted to see, would be several wins down the road. I'd prefer it would occur next fall when it won't matter so much Wink


Nothing wrong with a dose of confidence.

I got tickets to the PSU v Radford game, should be fun.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/18 8:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Queenie-

Home games on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

St Joseph's at Seton Hall 3/14
Marist @ St John's 3/15
Harvard @ Fordham 3/16


Two out of three ain't bad. (Traveling to and from Seton Hall on a weeknight is not in the cards.)


Welp. Boy howdy am I glad I didn't try to pull the back-to-back-to-back. St. Joe's took Seton Hall down 75-57 in a game the Hall never really seemed to be in.

So long and thanks for all the buckets, Quanny.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Coyotes



Joined: 28 Jan 2018
Posts: 289



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/14/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Queenie wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Queenie-

Home games on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

St Joseph's at Seton Hall 3/14
Marist @ St John's 3/15
Harvard @ Fordham 3/16


Two out of three ain't bad. (Traveling to and from Seton Hall on a weeknight is not in the cards.)


Welp. Boy howdy am I glad I didn't try to pull the back-to-back-to-back. St. Joe's took Seton Hall down 75-57 in a game the Hall never really seemed to be in.

So long and thanks for all the buckets, Quanny.


How did you expect them to win without their talisman cheering them on?


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/15/18 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Queenie wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
Queenie-

Home games on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

St Joseph's at Seton Hall 3/14
Marist @ St John's 3/15
Harvard @ Fordham 3/16


Two out of three ain't bad. (Traveling to and from Seton Hall on a weeknight is not in the cards.)


Welp. Boy howdy am I glad I didn't try to pull the back-to-back-to-back. St. Joe's took Seton Hall down 75-57 in a game the Hall never really seemed to be in.

So long and thanks for all the buckets, Quanny.


How did you expect them to win without their talisman cheering them on?


Seton Hall has, astonishingly, been known to win without my or my husband's presence. Sometimes even despite my presence. Conversely, the last time I hauled out the 2.5 hours each way for a weeknight Seton Hall game, they choked away a halftime lead to Princeton.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin