RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue's Sharon Versyp and the schedule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 03/15/18 3:44 pm    ::: Purdue's Sharon Versyp and the schedule Reply Reply with quote

Raoul@Raoul_000
Purdue WBB coach Sharon Versyp, after her team is left out of the NCAA field, says she'll water down her schedule. (Not sure that reaction makes sense.)

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/974059380298649600

Quote:
You can understand Versyp’s frustration in getting left out of the NCAA tournament. A couple of teams that made it into the field played extremely weak non-conference schedules and didn’t challenge themselves. That’s why they were on the bubble.

“Now I’ve learned I can play 295 and 260 (rated) non-conference schedule, so I will do that in two years,” Versyp said Tuesday, still reeling from watching the selection show less than 24 hours earlier.

Once the emotions calm down, let’s hope Versyp doesn’t go in that direction. Also, let’s hope Versyp’s bosses don’t allow the schedule to become filled with triple-digit RPI teams.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2018/03/14/purdue-womens-basketball-begins-groundwork-future-ncaa-tournaments/423381002/

PUmatty

PostPosted: 03/15/18 3:54 pm    ::: Re: Purdue's Sharon Versyp and the schedule Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Raoul@Raoul_000
Purdue WBB coach Sharon Versyp, after her team is left out of the NCAA field, says she'll water down her schedule. (Not sure that reaction makes sense.)

Quote:
You can understand Versyp’s frustration in getting left out of the NCAA tournament. A couple of teams that made it into the field played extremely weak non-conference schedules and didn’t challenge themselves. That’s why they were on the bubble.

“Now I’ve learned I can play 295 and 260 (rated) non-conference schedule, so I will do that in two years,” Versyp said Tuesday, still reeling from watching the selection show less than 24 hours earlier.

Once the emotions calm down, let’s hope Versyp doesn’t go in that direction. Also, let’s hope Versyp’s bosses don’t allow the schedule to become filled with triple-digit RPI teams.

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/womens-basketball/2018/03/14/purdue-womens-basketball-begins-groundwork-future-ncaa-tournaments/423381002/

Fuck this. That schedule she wants to water down already did not include a single ranked team this year.

If she has influence on the schedule two years from now, Purdue has much bigger problems than their schedule.

Phil

PostPosted: 03/15/18 4:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her SOS per Massey was #52. That's already weak.

There aren't many teams with a worse SOS who got a bid.

Her Massey rating is 60. Not only not bubble territory, not even close to bubble territory.

Purdue's problem isn't that they schedule too hard.

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/15/18 4:47 pm    ::: Re: Purdue's Sharon Versyp and the schedule Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Raoul@Raoul_000

Quote:

This is an incredible statement. When I look at Purdue's schedule it appears that she actually tried to build her schedule to pump up her RPI without actually playing tough teams. Other than a game with Valparaiso the schedule is rife with mid-major teams that have better records than their team would indicate. They have 3 power 5 non-conference games and notably they lost all three (to USC, Utah and Georgia Tech).

What is most galling is that she says she learned she can play a 295 and 260 NCSOS rated schedule. The 295 is clearly a shot at Minnesota. I would answer that she plays in the same conference, finished 2 games behind and lost when she played them. The 260 may be a shot at Nebraska (which was closer to 220) for which the argument would be the same. It could also be meant toward Oregon St, a team that was about 250 despite playing both Notre Dame and Duke. OSU was penalized by getting a 6 seed despite being ranked 13 in AP. It seems to me that if Sharon Versyp had put more effort into beating Rutgers in the Big 10 tournament or won one other conference game her non conference schedule wouldn't have mattered. And I would argue that for major conference teams that can be fully evaluated based on their conference season alone, their non-conference schedule really shouldn't matter that much.

myrtle

PostPosted: 03/15/18 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well IUPUI is beating them currently - though it's only in the first quarter. If she wants to complain, they need to at least win this game.

edit: well they did pull it out, beating mighty IUPUI by 2...

- Amanda Gorman
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: