RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Tennessee from 98 to 99

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/12/19 4:30 pm    ::: Tennessee from 98 to 99 Reply Reply with quote

Thanks to technology, I was watching some past Lady Vols games and was just in awe of players like Holdsclaw, Catchings, Randall, Jolly, etc. My question for those who followed the team or WBB closely is what the heck happened from the undefeated 1998 season to 1999? In the 98 games, the Lady Vols are relentless and blow teams out, even dominating the championship game with their full court press. They look like sharks who sense blood in the deep end and take their pickings. During the 1999 season, they don't seem to have that same passion that they had even in regular season games. They had all 5 starters back from the undefeated team..I know literally Lashonda Stephens started, but it was almost just symbolic as Geter played the lion's share of the minutes and produced more. When I first saw clips from Duke's upset win the Elite 8 in 99, I was shocked. After watching game film from the 99 season, it now seemed inevitable that the Lady Vols would lose somewhere along the way and not so shocking to me. I'm not blaming Pat by any means because I know coaches can't always coach effort.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 07/12/19 5:16 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee from 98 to 99 Reply Reply with quote

SDHoops wrote:
Thanks to technology, I was watching some past Lady Vols games and was just in awe of players like Holdsclaw, Catchings, Randall, Jolly, etc. My question for those who followed the team or WBB closely is what the heck happened from the undefeated 1998 season to 1999? In the 98 games, the Lady Vols are relentless and blow teams out, even dominating the championship game with their full court press. They look like sharks who sense blood in the deep end and take their pickings. During the 1999 season, they don't seem to have that same passion that they had even in regular season games. They had all 5 starters back from the undefeated team..I know literally Lashonda Stephens started, but it was almost just symbolic as Geter played the lion's share of the minutes and produced more. When I first saw clips from Duke's upset win the Elite 8 in 99, I was shocked. After watching game film from the 99 season, it now seemed inevitable that the Lady Vols would lose somewhere along the way and not so shocking to me. I'm not blaming Pat by any means because I know coaches can't always coach effort.

Is there online access to the Vols '98-'99 season. I know the Elite eight match up with Duke is on YouTube. Tennessee had to feed to do fire handsome margin earlier in the season but over the course of the year had gained confidence. I read somewhere that prior to the elite eight match up, then lady vols coach Al Brown observed the Duke team and reported to Summit they actually think that they can beat us. She replied then they have a chance. The element of intimidation wasn't there and you can watch that during the game. I'm not sure if that lady vols team lacked a killer instinct, or overlooked Duke, or what was going on but everything conspired against them into played excellently in the win.

SDHoops

PostPosted: 07/12/19 9:29 pm    ::: Re: Tennessee from 98 to 99 Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
SDHoops wrote:

Is there online access to the Vols '98-'99 season. I know the Elite eight match up with Duke is on YouTube. Tennessee had to feed to do fire handsome margin earlier in the season but over the course of the year had gained confidence. I read somewhere that prior to the elite eight match up, then lady vols coach Al Brown observed the Duke team and reported to Summit they actually think that they can beat us. She replied then they have a chance. The element of intimidation wasn't there and you can watch that during the game. I'm not sure if that lady vols team lacked a killer instinct, or overlooked Duke, or what was going on but everything conspired against them into played excellently in the win.

If you go to YouTube and type in Classic Basketball 1999 Tennessee, at least six games from that season will come up. The ones of interest are at UConn and at LA Tech.

pilight

PostPosted: 07/12/19 10:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They lost the eye of the tiger

PostPosted: 07/14/19 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
They lost the eye of the tiger

During the 1999 season, two teams could beat them, Duke and Purdue. Purdue had BY FAR the best back-court in the country, which is how they beat them in the season opener. And Duke had the right combination of talent/coaching to win.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: