RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 47830



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 9:53 am    ::: ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge Reply Reply with quote

http://www.bigten.org/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/061118aaa.html

2018 ACC/Big Ten Women’s Basketball Challenge
Wednesday, Nov. 28
Illinois at Clemson
Indiana at Wake Forest
Virginia at Michigan State
Rutgers at Virginia Tech
Duke at Wisconsin

Thursday, Nov. 29
Iowa at Notre Dame
Georgia Tech at Maryland
Michigan at NC State
Syracuse at Minnesota
Nebraska at Louisville
Pittsburgh at Northwestern
North Carolina at Ohio State
Penn State at Florida State
Miami at Purdue



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3048
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 10:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm seeing maybe 4 wins for the B1G this year.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3727
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Syracuse Minny looks intriguing although I would have liked Tina Thompson vs Lindsey Whalen better.

Iowa and Nebraska could be two of the better teams in the B1G next year but they will be no match for the top two teams in the ACC.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 47830



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how Maryland avoided a top team.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14252
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 10:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I wonder how Maryland avoided a top team.


Same way the defending champs did?


Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 47830



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s easy for everyone to see why Ohio St would drop off to a middling team, but Maryland should be #1 again with Iowa and Nebraska in the wannabe spots.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 56393
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I wonder how Maryland avoided a top team.


To keep the B10 from getting swept?



_________________
Beard's secret is always to be slightly on the edge but to pull back from disaster at the last minute.
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 4825



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
I wonder how Maryland avoided a top team.


To keep the B10 from getting swept?



Laughing



_________________
neverthless she persisted
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3727
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are a lot of crappy teams on both sides.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 1960



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I wonder how Maryland avoided a top team.


Georgia Tech was a 20-14 team and could be much improved next year with their core returning (esp. the Italian player) and a solid recruiting class. Might be more of a game than we'd expect.


purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2321
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/12/18 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Iowa and Nebraska could be two of the better teams in the B1G next year but they will be no match for the top two teams in the ACC.


Nope, but then again, how many teams will be? I can probably count that number on one hand.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12548



Back to top
PostPosted: 06/14/18 4:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't they try to rotate these to prevent the same 2 or 3 teams on each side from playing each other every year? (And, in reality, if they actually seeded them 1-14, that sweep might be a possible outcome. No way the B10 would agree to chance that outcome or even to have its top 5 or 6 teams get swept.)

Iowa, Nebraska and Penn St are this year's sacrifices. Duke was handed a gift.

Miami-Purdue, UVA-MSU and OhSt-UNC might be pretty good games.

Clemson-Illinois is just unwatchable.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4788
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/15/18 9:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

VA Tech-Rutgers could be interesting. Kenny is building the team he wants and the Hokies are not going to roll over. OTOH, Rutgers looks to have some interesting recruits.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 16937
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/15/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Iowa, Nebraska and Penn St are this year's sacrifices. Duke was handed a gift.


On the Duke board, I questioned why Duke was playing Wisconsin and not a better opponent.

Duke has never played Michigan State in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. At first, I questioned whether it was due to the fact that McCallie was the previous head coach at MSU. But the ACC has had two matchups between Maryland and Louisville (the Cardinals' Jeff Walz was an assistant under Brenda Frese at Maryland, including on the 2006 national championship squad).

Now, is it because the conferences do not want a head coach of one program playing an opponent for which she used to be the head coach (making it different than being an assistant coach for one and a head coach for the second program)? Maybe. But it could also add another layer of intrigue, especially given the fact the matchups are pretty lackluster and the Big Ten is (outside of Maryland) expected to be relatively down this year.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3727
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/15/18 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Iowa, Nebraska and Penn St are this year's sacrifices. Duke was handed a gift.


On the Duke board, I questioned why Duke was playing Wisconsin and not a better opponent.

Duke has never played Michigan State in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge. At first, I questioned whether it was due to the fact that McCallie was the previous head coach at MSU. But the ACC has had two matchups between Maryland and Louisville (the Cardinals' Jeff Walz was an assistant under Brenda Frese at Maryland, including on the 2006 national championship squad).

Now, is it because the conferences do not want a head coach of one program playing an opponent for which she used to be the head coach (making it different than being an assistant coach for one and a head coach for the second program)? Maybe. But it could also add another layer of intrigue, especially given the fact the matchups are pretty lackluster and the Big Ten is (outside of Maryland) expected to be relatively down this year.



The challenge began in 2007 and a review of the history and this is the second time Duke will have played Wisky in the series. During that time Dukes has also played Purdue and TOSU twice. Duke has not played Northwestern, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan State, or Maryland (although they were in the ACC part of this time) So a round robin format is not in place



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
CBiebel



Joined: 23 Dec 2004
Posts: 605
Location: PA


Back to top
PostPosted: 06/22/18 2:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
VA Tech-Rutgers could be interesting. Kenny is building the team he wants and the Hokies are not going to roll over. OTOH, Rutgers looks to have some interesting recruits.


Kenny is going to have a Mabrey. That could make things interesting vs Rutgers.


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin