RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Let the Transfers Begin! And other Attrition/injury 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4841
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Grayson Bright, a junior transfer to LaTech from Texas Tech, granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA. Bright transferred after coaching change at Texas Tech University.


*Note for sour grapes eaters: this is NOT Notre Dame.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
mikeyc22



Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 2310
Location: Connecticut


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/18 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Espinoza Hunter eligible immediately for Mississippi State


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3859
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/18 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Espinoza Hunter eligible immediately for Mississippi State


https://hailstate.com/news/2018/11/7/womens-basketball-espinoza-hunters-ncaa-waiver-approved.aspx



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7567
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

YAy Congrats AEH ! MSST just became Final 4 contenders again !



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3859
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/18 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i thought Promise would get a waiver before AEH but this fills in a more pressing need for the Vic.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49326



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/07/18 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
YAy Congrats AEH ! MSST just became Final 4 contenders again !


They always have been but this shouldn’t hurt. Surprised



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6808



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/08/18 2:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
mikeyc22 wrote:
Espinoza Hunter eligible immediately for Mississippi State


https://hailstate.com/news/2018/11/7/womens-basketball-espinoza-hunters-ncaa-waiver-approved.aspx


They don't say why there was a waiver. If she wanted to play 3.5 more years would she have been able to? She left the UConn program by January 12th, 2018.. Too late to quality as playing half-a-season?

Auriemma said on video (since removed) that she wasn't on the team anymore because he didn't want her to be. This was after she missed four games for "personal reasons".


FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1049



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/08/18 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I haven't heard any hint that she was dismissed from her previous school for academic or disciplinary issues. Is the committee going to publicly say the reason was her former coach? I don't think so, but apparently they thought the situation merited a waiver.

“The kid that’s not there anymore: she’s not there anymore because I didn’t want her there anymore,” Auriemma said. “It had nothing to do with her not liking it here, not fitting in, or playing time. I just didn’t want her here anymore. We have a simple rule at Connecticut. This is what I want you to do. If you don’t do it, I’m gonna remind you again. And if you don’t do it, I’m gonna remind you again. Until a point I don’t remind you, and you’re not here anymore.”

https://247sports.com/college/mississippi-state/Article/Andra-Espinoza-Hunter-Cleared-for-Immediate-Eligibility-by-NCAA-124403758/


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12713



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/08/18 9:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of course they aren't going to explain the reasons. Never have, never will. Nor should they.

But hey, I've been assurred by the denizens of RebKells that it's because Seton Hall and Louisiana Tech and Miss St have all the political pull with the NCAA and all the money and all the armies of smart experienced lawyers and consultants who know precisely how to put together a perfect and effective petition. And that every one these girls is a privileged brat with rich parents who can hire expensive lawyers and threaten to sue the NCAA.

It couldn't possibly be that the waiver was warranted in accordance with the rules. That could never be the reason.

It's all so corrupt and unfair. Rolling Eyes


mred



Joined: 19 Mar 2007
Posts: 181



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/08/18 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
If she wanted to play 3.5 more years would she have been able to? She left the UConn program by January 12th, 2018.. Too late to quality as playing half-a-season?


In most sports (including WBB) either you're counting as having played in a season or you haven't. There is no such thing as a half-season of eligibility. It can be a little confusing because the one-year sit-out rule for transfers is based on a year's worth of academic sessions.

Example: A freshman WBB player who played in at least one game for her team in the 2018-2019 season subsequently transfers in January 2019 between semesters. She does not get an NCAA waiver. She has two options:

#1: She can start playing for her new team in January 2020, having attended her new school for the required one year sit-out period. This Jan-March 2020 half-season counts as her second season of eligibility. She can play for two more years after that (20-21 and 21-22, barring any future redshirts).

#2: She can sit out the entire 2019-2020 season and start playing for her new team in fall of 2020. She can play three whole seasons for her new team this way (20-21, 21-22, and 22-23).


ClayK



Joined: 11 Oct 2005
Posts: 9294



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/08/18 11:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with Art -- there's no conspiracy and it's just the way the rules are applied in a particular situation.

Of course, if you have financial resources you have an advantage, but I don't think there's enough of an advantage that a completely bogus transfer would get approved, or if you lack lawyers, a truly legitimate appeal would be turned down.

Bottom line: Let the women play.

A modest proposal: Let the schools decide who's eligible. If North Carolina -- which graduates illiterates and makes up bogus classes -- wants a kid to be eligible, let them do it. After all, there's no penalty for complete academic malfeasance, so why should there be for making up stuff about the reasons for a transfer?



_________________
Oṃ Tāre Tuttāre Ture Svāhā
ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12713



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/08/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where's Shades? I must have missed his diatribes against Seton Hall, Louisiana Tech, and Mississippi St.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 12713



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/08/18 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
I agree with Art -- there's no conspiracy and it's just the way the rules are applied in a particular situation.

Of course, if you have financial resources you have an advantage, but I don't think there's enough of an advantage that a completely bogus transfer would get approved, or if you lack lawyers, a truly legitimate appeal would be turned down.

Bottom line: Let the women play.

A modest proposal: Let the schools decide who's eligible. If North Carolina -- which graduates illiterates and makes up bogus classes -- wants a kid to be eligible, let them do it. After all, there's no penalty for complete academic malfeasance, so why should there be for making up stuff about the reasons for a transfer?


BTW, I agree that the NCAA, on this and many things, is inconsistant and arbitrary. In part it's because they have a variety of people and subgroups review things. The lack of continuity lends itself to inconsistant outcomes. If they, for example, had one committee of three people review all waiver petitions, they'd likely get more consistant outcomes.

It's not a particularly well structured or well run organization and is pulled in various inconsistant directions by its membership. Plus, while every school supposedly has an equal vote, we all know that a small group of schools and conferences have all the real clout. Plus, the schools and conferences themselves send different messages depending on whether the presidents, ADs, or coaches are doing the talking. It may just be ungovernable given the many disparate conflicting interests.


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 6808



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/08/18 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
tfan wrote:
If she wanted to play 3.5 more years would she have been able to? She left the UConn program by January 12th, 2018.. Too late to quality as playing half-a-season?


In most sports (including WBB) either you're counting as having played in a season or you haven't. There is no such thing as a half-season of eligibility. It can be a little confusing because the one-year sit-out rule for transfers is based on a year's worth of academic sessions.


Thanks!


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3129
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/18 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Green Bay’s lost two to season-ending injuries, Caitlyn Hibner (Tommy John surgery) and Karly Murphy (ACL).


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3859
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/18 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sarah Jacobsen, Jr pg at NDSU is sitting out.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3859
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/18 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
Tweet from Bob Hertzel, timeswv.com, “WVU women's basketball guard Kysre Gondrezick is away from the team indefinitely attending to a personal matter, according to the school, which will have no further comment. She sat out last year after transferring from Michigan. #wvu #BGN”


Mike Carey sounds generally perturbed by the current situation of not having enough players available. While not addressing Gondrezicks specific situation, it doesn't so like this was something he or his staff were consulted on.

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/gondrezicks-absence-compounds-wvu-roster-woes/



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49326



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/18 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didn’t Gondrezick sit a year transferring (didn’t transfer to ND or get chased away by coach), and now she’s having personal problems (most likely doesn’t like the situation here either)?

Anyway, it looks like they have some nice transfers coming in mid-season: De’Janae Boykin and Lucky Rudd.

With Davenport recently scoring a triple double, I think they can get by without Gondrezick.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3562



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/18 12:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Didn’t Gondrezick sit a year transferring (didn’t transfer to ND or get chased away by coach), and now she’s having personal problems (most likely doesn’t like the situation here either)?

Anyway, it looks like they have some nice transfers coming in mid-season: De’Janae Boykin and Lucky Rudd.

With Davenport recently scoring a triple double, I think they can get by without Gondrezick.

Very astute, Shades. Because no transfer has had their transfer waiver approved except Jessica Shepard. None.

Well, except for all of the others that have been approved. All of which you are very aware, yet you still troll. Must have really burned you that Notre Dame was so successful last season. Why can't you just be a fan of your team instead of trying to piss off fans of other teams by trying to diminishing their accomplishments?


mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 3129
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/18 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Tweet from Bob Hertzel, timeswv.com, “WVU women's basketball guard Kysre Gondrezick is away from the team indefinitely attending to a personal matter, according to the school, which will have no further comment. She sat out last year after transferring from Michigan. #wvu #BGN”


Mike Carey sounds generally perturbed by the current situation of not having enough players available. While not addressing Gondrezicks specific situation, it doesn't so like this was something he or his staff were consulted on.

https://bluegoldnews.com/west-virginia-mountaineers/gondrezicks-absence-compounds-wvu-roster-woes/


“It’s our fault as coaches for not correcting it,” Carey said. “I don’t blame anyone but myself and the coaches. Now, we didn’t know some of this stuff was going to go on, but we still should have had more numbers in here.“

I can’t imagine they didn’t know. Chester Nichols was on KBA’s staff at Michigan when Kysre was being recruited. Nichols was also the connection to Davenport who was a Michigan signee (ended up not qualifying, so she went the J.C. route).

Kysre is a wonderful basketball player, but she caused a heck of a mess at Michigan. She went AWOL several times. I don’t know if it was a mental health issue, an attitude issue or a substance issue. Maybe the WVU staff thought a year and few hundred miles would change things. I’d hoped things would get better.


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 3859
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Didn’t Gondrezick sit a year transferring (didn’t transfer to ND or get chased away by coach), and now she’s having personal problems (most likely doesn’t like the situation here either)?

Anyway, it looks like they have some nice transfers coming in mid-season: De’Janae Boykin and Lucky Rudd.

With Davenport recently scoring a triple double, I think they can get by without Gondrezick.


Boykin is waiting on NCAA to waiver transfer sitout rule.

Still. It's been crazy. Bianca Ceuvos~Moore is transferring in. Then she's not. Star frosh is Rochelle Norris gets hurt. And now Gondrezik.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49326



Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/18 1:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Shades wrote:
Didn’t Gondrezick sit a year transferring (didn’t transfer to ND or get chased away by coach), and now she’s having personal problems (most likely doesn’t like the situation here either)?

Anyway, it looks like they have some nice transfers coming in mid-season: De’Janae Boykin and Lucky Rudd.

With Davenport recently scoring a triple double, I think they can get by without Gondrezick.

Very astute, Shades. Because no transfer has had their transfer waiver approved except Jessica Shepard. None.


Did I say none other have? Most don’t and I have clearly made the case that ND’s is the most egregious example, so I use it as the case sample. Why be so sensitive about it (and only to me like I’m the only who thinks that way)?

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
All of which you are very aware, yet you still troll. Must have really burned you that Notre Dame was so successful last season.


You know very well I was angry before the season. Can’t remember? So for you to assume other motivation is you trolling me. Stop trolling me or I might cry. Crying or Very sad

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Why can't you just be a fan of your team instead of trying to piss off fans of other teams by trying to diminishing their accomplishments?


Your best buddy is Art and you say this about me and not him? STFU
Why can’t you be someone who can handle an honest opinion even if it’s related to (heaven forbid) your team?



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin