RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Let the Transfers Begin! And other Attrition/injury 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/30/18 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
stever wrote:
Duke's Lambert out for another season:

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2018/10/duke-womens-basketballs-lambert-reinjures-knee-will-miss-entire-2018-19-season

That's a huge blow for the blue Devils

Sucks lambert is a baller when healthy.

PostPosted: 10/30/18 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

noleman wrote:
FSU loses another player to injury. Post player Iho Lopez was in a car accident earlier this week. Possible that she could miss the entire season

This leaves FSU with 9 scholarship players and hurts an already non-existent frontcourt. True freshman Myers and Transfer Kiah Gillespie are the only post players we have now.

Link:
https://www.tomahawknation.com/2018/10/27/18032026/fsu-womens-basketball-forward-iho-lopez-is-injured-in-an-automobile-accident

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 10/30/18 12:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It does not matter to the NCAA if the coach from the team a player is leaving approves of (recommended) the transfer, or if the coach that recruited the player was fired before the player got there. Transfers still get turned down. Especially when they just approved a high-profile transfer to ND and then suddenly dozens of players reapplied under similar circumstances as the player who just got approved. And the NCAA suddenly says, “Oops, what have we done? We’re just going to deny everybody else. “ Oh well, at least now she will finish grad school while still on scholarship...

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 10/30/18 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vivian Gray, who played last season as a freshman at Fort Louis college at the division two level transferred this past summer to Oklahoma State and last night she participated in the exhibition game for the cowgirls. I'm assuming she received a waiver to not sit out a year. She's also listed as a sophomore and I thought I read somewhere that if you transfer up to division to the division one our year of eligibility is forfeited.

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 10/30/18 3:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Vivian Gray, who played last season as a freshman at Fort Louis college at the division two level transferred this past summer to Oklahoma State and last night she participated in the exhibition game for the cowgirls. I'm assuming she received a waiver to not sit out a year. She's also listed as a sophomore and I thought I read somewhere that if you transfer up to division to the division one our year of eligibility is forfeited.

When they transferred, the Stillwater News Press stated:
Gray, as well as Olivia, will be able to play immediately for the Cowgirls.

https://www.stwnewspress.com/sports/help-on-the-way-for-cowgirl-basketball/article_7cfcf6b0-39d4-11e8-aed0-4f8159ac1b9c.html

I tried researching the Division II-to-Division I transfer rules, but I had a lot of work to do. Here is the link to all of the transfer guides:

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/want-transfer

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/30/18 4:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
It does not matter to the NCAA if the coach from the team a player is leaving approves of (recommended) the transfer, or if the coach that recruited the player was fired before the player got there. Transfers still get turned down. Especially when they just approved a high-profile transfer to ND and then suddenly dozens of players reapplied under similar circumstances as the player who just got approved. And the NCAA suddenly says, “Oops, what have we done? We’re just going to deny everybody else. “ Oh well, at least now she will finish grad school while still on scholarship...

Before you make up any other demonstrably false stuff, you might want to read a few inches up in this very thread:

Shmermerer1 wrote:
Desiree Elmore gets immediate elegibility to play for Seton Hall. Transfer from Syracuse.

Here's an announcement
https://shupirates.com/news/2018/10/24/womens-basketball-elmore-granted-ncaa-waiver-to-compete-immediately.aspx

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/02/18 1:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bela Alaire is out for Princeton indefinitely with an arm injury. No word on when she will return.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/02/18 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

QUe Morrison is out indefinitely at Georgia. THe Soph. had averages of 8.6 points and 5.1 boards during her frosh season. Tore her lateral meniscus.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/02/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iowa's Kathleen Doyle will be out 4-6 weeks. Huge blow for Iowa who really needed Doyle on the court to run with Gustafson.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/02/18 5:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Tania Davis is ready to go, she can help fill the void in backcourt with Alexis Sevillian and Mac Meyers. Blunder has been bringing Davis along slowly but may have to speed up the pace.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 11/04/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rellah Boothe tore her ACL so she will miss this season for North West Florida State (juco). Thanks to Raoul for the tip.

https://www.nwfdailynews.com/sports/20181103/raiders-revitalized-and-ready

PUmatty

PostPosted: 11/04/18 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
Shepard, Romeo, Elmore, Romero.....just these few recent names would seemingly illustrate the random, "not-always-by-the-book" ways decisions are made. Frankly, I think it's a good thing that there can be considerations made on an individual basis.

I wouldn't include Romero in that list. She was being pretty thoroughly screwed over by Kansas State until the public outcry got to be too much for them and they had to let her transfer. Then it was a case of the coach that recruited her being fired, which is generally accepted by the NCAA.

What so many people call being screwed was actually Kansas State following NCAA rules. Why in the world should the NCAA grant her a waiver because her school was following rules. Just because people decide they don't like the rules that KSU followed? It's not like those rules were immediately changed.

IMO, her case is the most ridiculous waiver of all of them.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/04/18 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:
Shepard, Romeo, Elmore, Romero.....just these few recent names would seemingly illustrate the random, "not-always-by-the-book" ways decisions are made. Frankly, I think it's a good thing that there can be considerations made on an individual basis.

I wouldn't include Romero in that list. She was being pretty thoroughly screwed over by Kansas State until the public outcry got to be too much for them and they had to let her transfer. Then it was a case of the coach that recruited her being fired, which is generally accepted by the NCAA.

What so many people call being screwed was actually Kansas State following NCAA rules. Why in the world should the NCAA grant her a waiver because her school was following rules. Just because people decide they don't like the rules that KSU followed? It's not like those rules were immediately changed.

IIRC, she had some teammates who were allowed to transfer, but she wasn't. That is not "following NCAA rules". That is "making an example of someone."
Try again, Matty.

PostPosted: 11/04/18 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Howee wrote:

IIRC, she had some teammates who were allowed to transfer, but she wasn't. That is not "following NCAA rules". That is "making an example of someone."
Try again, Matty.

Sure it is. NCAA rules gave the college wide discretion over allowing a player to transfer. If you claim that KSU wasn't following the rules, what rule did they break?

I don't think that a school should have any say whatsoever about if and where someone transfers, but that wasn't the rules that Romero and KSU were playing under. KSU played by the rules, people didn't like the rule, and so Romero didn't have to sit out. It was a ridiculous ruling.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/04/18 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Can we just not have any more injuries please. Exclamation

- Amanda Gorman
PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/05/18 4:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Has anyone ever thought that evolving educational needs might be a factor in the decicions made by these kids? Not all Universities offer the same programs.

Or if playing time, or chemistry, or distance from home is an issue? Especially if they were mislead by their coach about their expected role on the team. Some people want to be a part of the culture and do whatever they can. Some people need to be the star, and that's ok, too.

Why should the NCAA be punishing humans aged 18-21 for having second thoughts about a retrospectively bad decision by making them sit out a whole year just to get themselves in a better position for their life?

Why is college so different from the NBA/WNBA where players get thrown around like ragdolls?

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/05/18 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
If Tania Davis is ready to go, she can help fill the void in backcourt with Alexis Sevillian and Mac Meyers. Blunder has been bringing Davis along slowly but may have to speed up the pace.

I'd hate to have her sped up only to see another injury. She tore her left ACL just 10 months after her right ACL.....

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/05/18 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:

Why is college so different from the NBA/WNBA where players get thrown around like ragdolls?

Last time I looked, NBA/WNBA players were not free to change teams willy nilly any time they feel like it.

And I'm pretty sure colleges aren't free to send a player and her scholarship to a different school whether they like it or not. Doubt if too many Stanford or Northwestern students would be happy to hear they were being "traded" to Southeast Mississippi School of Mining and Agriculture for future condideration.

Is that the "difference" you want to eliminate?

ClayK

PostPosted: 11/05/18 10:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

Last time I looked, NBA/WNBA players were not free to change teams willy nilly any time they feel like it.

And I'm pretty sure colleges aren't free to send a player and her scholarship to a different school whether they like it or not. Doubt if too many Stanford or Northwestern students would be happy to hear they were being "traded" to Southeast Mississippi School of Mining and Agriculture for future condideration.

I think the point made above is critical here: The rules are ambiguous, and open to manipulation by those with the money and knowledge to do so. As a result, application of the rules varies wildly, depending on the resources of those involved.

If the NCAA is going to restrict the movement of adults who do not have a contract that they had any hand in negotiating, it would seem those restrictions should be applied equally. But of course, we're dealing with the NCAA, a corrupt and incompetent organization that can't even penalize a school like North Carolina for "graduating" illiterates and making up courses.

The obvious solution would be to have a negotiated contract with scholarship athletes, rather than an imposed one, that makes it less likely that the rich and connected can manipulate the system much more easily than the poor and less knowledgeable.

PostPosted: 11/05/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:

I think the point made above is critical here: The rules are ambiguous, and open to manipulation by those with the money and knowledge to do so. As a result, application of the rules varies wildly, depending on the resources of those involved.

If the NCAA is going to restrict the movement of adults who do not have a contract that they had any hand in negotiating, it would seem those restrictions should be applied equally. But of course, we're dealing with the NCAA, a corrupt and incompetent organization that can't even penalize a school like North Carolina for "graduating" illiterates and making up courses.

The obvious solution would be to have a negotiated contract with scholarship athletes, rather than an imposed one, that makes it less likely that the rich and connected can manipulate the system much more easily than the poor and less knowledgeable.

99% of the pro players had zero role in negotiating the collective bargaining agreement that binds them and controls them FAR more than the terms of the students' scholarships and NCAA rules. And the pro rules are applied at least as inconsistently which is why there is a never ending parade of arbitrations and lawsuits against all pro leagues and commissioners.

Wake me when HS students are drafted by universities and have absolutely no say in where they get to spend their college years. And not one of the rookies drafted by any pro league had any input at all into those draft rules or rookie contract terms they're stuck with.

If you're going to keep trying to compare the plight of college to pro athletes, at least stop mischaractarizing this supposed pro nirvana.

What do YOU get to "negotiate" in your life? Do you negotiate the terms of your home mortgage contract, your health insurance, your life insurance, your car warranty? Did your employer negotiate a special code of conduct or EEO policy just for you? Did you negotiate different holidays or sick leave than all your fellow employees? Did you negotiate with your local Safeway store over the price of that can of baked beans?

Do all these college freshmen get to negotiate the list of required courses for graduation or the number of credit hours they need? Do they negotiate tuition charges?

I suppose your everybody should be free to negotiate everything is an interesting notion, but of course that's not how the world operates. Most of the transactions in your life are "take it or leave it".

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 11/05/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

DANG I went to sleep and woke up in Russia Laughing Laughing

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/05/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grayson Bright, a junior transfer to LaTech from Texas Tech, granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA. Bright transferred after coaching change at Texas Tech University.

noleman

PostPosted: 11/06/18 9:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FSU continues to be hit with the injury bug as SaySay Lassiter did not play in the season opener due to a hand injury. She may miss a few weeks. She redshirt last season because of an ACL injury and is expected to play a key role for the noles this season

This leaves FSU with 8 bodies (4 freshman).

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/06/18 9:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Grayson Bright, a junior transfer to LaTech from Texas Tech, granted immediate eligibility by the NCAA. Bright transferred after coaching change at Texas Tech University.

Another one????? Another waiver????? Really?????

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JmzuRXLzqKk" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/07/18 2:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tweet from Bob Hertzel, timeswv.com, “WVU women's basketball guard Kysre Gondrezick is away from the team indefinitely attending to a personal matter, according to the school, which will have no further comment. She sat out last year after transferring from Michigan. #wvu #BGN”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 20 of 37

Jump to: