RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Let the Transfers Begin! And other Attrition/injury 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 35, 36, 37  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/26/18 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Higgs for Texas is ACL'd out for the year as well.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 11/27/18 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Yacine Diop of Louisville is ACL'd out for the year also.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25385788/yacine-diop-louisville-cardinals-season-torn-acl

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 11/27/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
And Yacine Diop of Louisville is ACL'd out for the year also.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25385788/yacine-diop-louisville-cardinals-season-torn-acl

And Louisville's struggle to replace Hines-Allen's points just became more difficult.
Walz indicated they are looking into applying for a sixth year for her. Hope she gets it if she wants it.

Like Lili Thompson. Must be particularly disheartening to pack up and move to a new school just to play one remaining year and then suffer an injury that wipes out that year.

BTW, good to see Lili has recovered and has joined the 2019 Harlem Globetrotters Rookie class, along with Brittany Hrynko, btw. https://www.harlemglobetrotters.com/news/harlem-globetrotters-unveil-2019-rookie-class-including-son-globetrotter-legend-and-player

Oldfandepot2

PostPosted: 12/06/18 5:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexi Gordon, UCONN sophomore, to transfer.

PostPosted: 12/06/18 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:

I speculated about Gordon leaving on the ND-UConn game thread. Not surprised.

PostPosted: 12/06/18 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Easy to see why. Hoopgurlz #29 in the nation out of high school, #5 at her position. Played 25 of 37 games in 2017-2018 with 3.9 mpg when she played. In 2018-2019 has played in 4 of 8 games (which 11-player UConn won by 32, 38, 40, 10, 46, 36, 18 and 56 points) with 2.5 mpg when she played. Imagine being #5 at your position out of high school and you don't play a minute your sophomore year in a 56 point blowout (only 8 UConn players played - Megan Walker and Batouly Camara also not in box score). Seems like Auriemma wanted her to leave.

linkster

PostPosted: 12/06/18 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
Oldfandepot2 wrote:

Easy to see why. Hoopgurlz #29 in the nation out of high school, #5 at her position. Played 25 of 37 games in 2017-2018 with 3.9 mpg when she played. In 2018-2019 has played in 4 of 8 games (which 11-player UConn won by 32, 38, 40, 10, 46, 36, 18 and 56 points) with 2.5 mpg when she played. Imagine being #5 at your position out of high school and you don't play a minute your sophomore year in a 56 point blowout (only 8 UConn players played - Megan Walker and Batouly Camara also not in box score). Seems like Auriemma wanted her to leave.

LOL, Yeah, that's how Geno built his program. Unlike at Tenn where as long as you were a highly ranked high school player you start for 4 years no matter how bad you perform.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 12/07/18 8:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lexi, we hardly knew ye.

So long.

PostPosted: 12/07/18 11:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're not a top 10 player, there's little reason to go to UConn unless you're happy to sit on the bench and glean some championships from there.

Geno's refusal to play his bench even in 30 pt blowouts will someday bite him in the ass.

- Amanda Gorman
Shades

PostPosted: 12/07/18 11:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Freshman Katlyn Gilbert of ND out for season after shoulder surgery.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ClayK

PostPosted: 12/08/18 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If you're not a top 10 player, there's little reason to go to UConn unless you're happy to sit on the bench and glean some championships from there.

Geno's refusal to play his bench even in 30 pt blowouts will someday bite him in the ass.

It's very odd ... most college teams will not play the end of the bench in blowouts, something I've never understood.

Yes, college teams can score in a hurry, and leads can evaporate, but putting one of the lesser players in with three minutes to do is unlikely to lead to a meltdown.

And the risk of injury -- perhaps the single most important variable in reaching expectations -- is real.

Geno may be further out on the spectrum than most, but he's got a lot of company very nearby.

PostPosted: 12/08/18 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
myrtle wrote:

It's very odd ... most college teams will not play the end of the bench in blowouts, something I've never understood.

Yes, college teams can score in a hurry, and leads can evaporate, but putting one of the lesser players in with three minutes to do is unlikely to lead to a meltdown.

And the risk of injury -- perhaps the single most important variable in reaching expectations -- is real.

Geno may be further out on the spectrum than most, but he's got a lot of company very nearby.

I wonder if coaches consider the risk of injury in the latter stages of the game greater for someone who’s been sitting on the bench the entire game. I have no data to back up this unfounded opinion. I just guess that if you’ve been sitting on a bench, you might be more likely to pull something than someone who is stretched out and in game.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/08/18 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've often wondered if at UConn there is a big distinction in terms of feeling like a 2nd class citizen for those who continually sit on the bench. They obviously work really hard in practice or Geno wouldn't keep them on the team. It probably varies from player to player but it would be hard to not have a distinct feeling of lesser-ness if you never get to play. Of course this is also not unique to UConn...but seems exaggerated there. I mean I look at someone like Shannon Coffee at Stanford, who in her whole career, has been lucky to get 2 min. on the floor in a game, yet seems happy to be there. Of course she wasn't a top 30 recruit and she is getting her Stanford pre-med education in the process.

- Amanda Gorman
Howee

PostPosted: 12/08/18 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I've often wondered if at UConn there is a big distinction in terms of feeling like a 2nd class citizen for those who continually sit on the bench. They obviously work really hard in practice or Geno wouldn't keep them on the team. It probably varies from player to player but it would be hard to not have a distinct feeling of lesser-ness if you never get to play. Of course this is also not unique to UConn...but seems exaggerated there. I mean I look at someone like Shannon Coffee at Stanford, who in her whole career, has been lucky to get 2 min. on the floor in a game, yet seems happy to be there. Of course she wasn't a top 30 recruit and she is getting her Stanford pre-med education in the process.

I've often thought that same thing...ESPECIALLY in a setting like UConn's, where every player is (generally) an elite recruit, who could have started on many other teams. Does the concept of 'belonging' on The Best Team override the reality of being a bench warmer on The Best Team?

I've seen this at Oklahoma, too, tho certainly not with elite recruits. Even this year, senior Ijeoma Odimgbe--Sherri's tallest player at 6'4"--barely gets any playing time, while a 6' freshman plays the 5. And I've seen Ije play over the years....she's NOT terrible. (and if Sherri couldn't turn her into a 20-min-per-game player in 4 years, who is THAT on?)

I certainly don't know any insider info on her, but Coale is not only NOT recruiting stars these days, but has a tarnished recent history with losing some FINE players....even those who got lots of playing time.

Who are some coaches notable for playing lotsa minutes on most players, whenever possible? Charlie Turner-Thorn comes to mind. Sylvia H?

PostPosted: 12/08/18 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

I've often thought that same thing...ESPECIALLY in a setting like UConn's, where every player is (generally) an elite recruit, who could have started on many other teams. Does the concept of 'belonging' on The Best Team override the reality of being a bench warmer on The Best Team?

I've seen this at Oklahoma, too, tho certainly not with elite recruits. Even this year, senior Ijeoma Odimgbe--Sherri's tallest player at 6'4"--barely gets any playing time, while a 6' freshman plays the 5. And I've seen Ije play over the years....she's NOT terrible. (and if Sherri couldn't turn her into a 20-min-per-game player in 4 years, who is THAT on?)

I certainly don't know any insider info on her, but Coale is not only NOT recruiting stars these days, but has a tarnished recent history with losing some FINE players....even those who got lots of playing time.

Who are some coaches notable for playing lotsa minutes on most players, whenever possible? Charlie Turner-Thorn comes to mind. Sylvia H?

For the last few years, Hatchell has been running her starters into the ground. She had an excuse the first season after the remaining players of her 2013 Fab 4 recruiting class transferred out but not she doesn't. She more or less nowadays give her starters heavy minutes even if they are on the receiving end of a blowout.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/09/18 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

CTT is at the extreme other end of the spectrum. Sometimes I think her hockey line changes actually cost them games. But this year, they seem pretty balanced which makes it more feasible. On most teams, I actually like the idea of playing one or two 'scrubs' with starters still on the floor. Especially important for young players. Otherwise it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. All those scrubs trying to prove themselves at once usually just becomes scrap ball. Then the coach can say, 'yeah, see why I don't play them'. And there are, of course, players like Coffee who you simply can't afford to have on the floor all that long and still win games. But Tara at least still honors those scholarships...and Coffee is not the first in that position.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 12/09/18 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone think some of these players are staying on the bench even with big leads because they're doing/not doing something in practice that displeases the coach...i.e. that they're not "earning" PT regardless of the score?

tfan

PostPosted: 12/09/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Anyone think some of these players are staying on the bench even with big leads because they're doing/not doing something in practice that displeases the coach...i.e. that they're not "earning" PT regardless of the score?

Can you define "some" in terms of the massive amount of players involved, what percentage do you think are being punished for practice performance (which involves male players not listed on the roster at top schools)? If someone told me some player was accused by the coach of not hustling in practice, my guesses would start with the best players on the team, not the ones who are watching every game. Deep bench players might check out in practice once they realize that no matter what they do the coach isn't going to play them, but that wouldn't be the reason they were not being played, as they weren't being played when they tried their best in practice.

myrtle

PostPosted: 12/09/18 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:

I'm sure this accounts for a few of the decisions, but not most.

- Amanda Gorman
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/17/18 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU junior C Kelly Koshuta has been suspended since before Thanksgiving for that nebulous "violation of team rules". Nobody knows for sure why but she hasn't left school. There's a suspicion it might have to do with something academic. Hopefully she gets whatever it is corrected because we sure could use her...although Devon Merritt is doing a fine job out there.

PostPosted: 12/17/18 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Madison Treece is transferring from Duke.

Per GoDuke.com release:
Treece, a native of St. Peters, Mo., had appeared in four contests in 2018-19 and a total of 21 games over the last two seasons in Durham.

Hoopsmom

PostPosted: 12/17/18 10:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Per GoDuke.com release:
Treece, a native of St. Peters, Mo., had appeared in four contests in 2018-19 and a total of 21 games over the last two seasons in Durham.

We just played / beat Missouri, and one position they definitely need is a Center. This young lady is from Columbia Missouri... What are the odds on hef becoming a Tiger???

summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/18/18 11:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Junior C Kelly Koshuta has been dismissed from the JMU team. She'd been suspended in November and given a chance to right whatever she was suspended for. She didn't.

PostPosted: 12/18/18 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
CamrnCrz1974 wrote:

Per GoDuke.com release:

We just played / beat Missouri, and one position they definitely need is a Center. This young lady is from Columbia Missouri... What are the odds on hef becoming a Tiger???

Rankings:

No. 22 (All Star Girls Report)
No. 83 (HoopGurlz/Collegiate Girls Basketball Report)
No. 71 (Blue Star Report)

Coyotes

PostPosted: 12/18/18 1:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Howee wrote:

CTT is at the extreme other end of the spectrum. Sometimes I think her hockey line changes actually cost them games. But this year, they seem pretty balanced which makes it more feasible. On most teams, I actually like the idea of playing one or two 'scrubs' with starters still on the floor. Especially important for young players. Otherwise it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. All those scrubs trying to prove themselves at once usually just becomes scrap ball. Then the coach can say, 'yeah, see why I don't play them'. And there are, of course, players like Coffee who you simply can't afford to have on the floor all that long and still win games. But Tara at least still honors those scholarships...and Coffee is not the first in that position.

I’m having a hard time with the Coffee example given her prowess against Baylor. Shannon has scored 23 total points in 2 games against Baylor while shooting 7-12 from behind the arc against Kim Mulkey’s Bears. If I could do that sort of damage against a elite program like Baylor, I’d take pride in it. To add on to that, she was the first player 6’5 or taller to sink 4 threes in one game since Elena Delle Donne in 2013 last year. But then again, Baylor for some reason lets her shoot daggers. I mean, yeah, she hasn’t done much else apart from help Stanford beat Baylor, but that’s still something.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 22 of 37

Jump to: