RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Let the Transfers Begin! And other Attrition/injury 2018-19
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5441
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/18 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Khaleann Caron-Goudreau has graduated from Texas and is going back to Quebec to compete for Universite Laval while earning her MBA.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5441
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/18 8:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Australian Anneli Maley, who played for Oregon as a freshman, has transferred to TCU.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5441
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/14/18 8:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate. WTH.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom


Last edited by summertime blues on 04/15/18 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4171
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/15/18 4:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another Duck froshie, G Aina Agustin, is leaving the team. She is from Spain and is reported to be turning pro.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
OtterlyAmused



Joined: 05 Aug 2013
Posts: 52
Location: Minneapolis


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/16/18 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Colorado Buffaloes will be without JUCU transfers Jenea Bunn and Jaimie Curtis next season. Near the end of the link, the article mentions that Bunn left during the season for personal reasons, and the 6'7" Curtis received the least playing time of the roster.

http://www.buffzone.com/womensbasketball/ci_31805565/jr-payne-excited-future-cu-buffs-womens-basketball


NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4171
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/18 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Texas A&M picked up a JUCO point guard; ,.Shambria carter 5'7" out of Central Florida college.



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4171
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/18 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sierra Calhoun grad transferring out of tOSU. ( so much for her and Waterman staying for their final year of eligibility)

Victoria Patrick (rising junior) is leaving South Carolina


Medinnah Mohammed (who averaged almost 17 points per game and frosh Chyna Nixon are leaving Ole Miss

Maryland signed JUCO Sara Vujaxic, a 5-11 SG with two years of eligibility left


Whew



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
GlennMacGrady



Joined: 03 Jan 2005
Posts: 5734
Location: Heisenberg


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Sierra Calhoun grad transferring out of tOSU.


That's intriguing. I assume she would want to go to a school that has a reasonable shot at a NC, but there are only a handful of those, and some either wouldn't have room for her or (e.g., UConn) wouldn't want her.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5441
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/18 10:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

G Victoria Patrick leaving South Carolina for North Florida. https://t.co/8JtTCRcUIe



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
elsie



Joined: 08 Apr 2016
Posts: 150



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/18 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm probably the only one to think this, but isn't a scholarship a "contract" that goes two ways...doesn't the school owe the recruit who signs on 4 yrs?....how can they "fire" these players?....

apparently they can kick people off teams at will....seems to happen a lot more recently...how many players have left Oregone just this year....last count was 4, and I'm sure they were "encouraged"...

but how is this fair to the athlete?...afterall, they could have played elsewhere for 4 yrs...


tfan



Joined: 31 May 2010
Posts: 7485



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/17/18 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
I'm probably the only one to think this, but isn't a scholarship a "contract" that goes two ways...doesn't the school owe the recruit who signs on 4 yrs?....how can they "fire" these players?....

apparently they can kick people off teams at will....seems to happen a lot more recently...how many players have left Oregone just this year....last count was 4, and I'm sure they were "encouraged"...

but how is this fair to the athlete?...afterall, they could have played elsewhere for 4 yrs...


I don't know if Oregon is rescinding scholarships, but you could see transfers coming because they have been getting so many decent recruits. They had five freshman coming in 2016 and then Ionescu joined them. Then they added 3 freshman and a transfer from Notre Dame in 2017. It just isn't possible to get decent playing time for that many players, even if there weren't two other classes on the team.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25510



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 1:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
elsie wrote:
I'm probably the only one to think this, but isn't a scholarship a "contract" that goes two ways...doesn't the school owe the recruit who signs on 4 yrs?....how can they "fire" these players?....

apparently they can kick people off teams at will....seems to happen a lot more recently...how many players have left Oregone just this year....last count was 4, and I'm sure they were "encouraged"...

but how is this fair to the athlete?...afterall, they could have played elsewhere for 4 yrs...


I don't know if Oregon is rescinding scholarships, but you could see transfers coming because they have been getting so many decent recruits. They had five freshman coming in 2016 and then Ionescu joined them. Then they added 3 freshman and a transfer from Notre Dame in 2017. It just isn't possible to get decent playing time for that many players, even if there weren't two other classes on the team.


yeah, I think Malley and the Spanish PG in particular would not have been 'encouraged' to leave since I think both would have gotten time on the floor, but for the posts who are clearly only going to be sitting on the bench, it is not surprising at all that they would choose to leave. I actually expected it last year. Of course I also expected some of the UConn benchies to leave too so what do I know anyway.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 12175
Location: OREGON (in my heart)


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 1:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
....what do I know anyway.


You, Myrtle, know many many secrets of This Universe and the One in Oregon. Be still my heart. Wink



_________________
Oregon: Go Ducks!
Lillian Hidgepork



Joined: 26 Feb 2012
Posts: 86
Location: Down South


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 6:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My guess is Oregon plays 6/7 players this year.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 5692



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

elsie wrote:
I'm probably the only one to think this, but isn't a scholarship a "contract" that goes two ways...doesn't the school owe the recruit who signs on 4 yrs?....how can they "fire" these players?....

apparently they can kick people off teams at will....seems to happen a lot more recently...how many players have left Oregone just this year....last count was 4, and I'm sure they were "encouraged"...

but how is this fair to the athlete?...afterall, they could have played elsewhere for 4 yrs...


I'm pretty sure that the college scholarship is only a one year contract. So if the athlete wants to go somewhere else, they are free to do so. With that freedom comes the risk that the school will choose to not renew the scholarship.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
purduefanatic



Joined: 10 Aug 2011
Posts: 2393
Location: Indiana


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 8:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
elsie wrote:
I'm probably the only one to think this, but isn't a scholarship a "contract" that goes two ways...doesn't the school owe the recruit who signs on 4 yrs?....how can they "fire" these players?....

apparently they can kick people off teams at will....seems to happen a lot more recently...how many players have left Oregone just this year....last count was 4, and I'm sure they were "encouraged"...

but how is this fair to the athlete?...afterall, they could have played elsewhere for 4 yrs...


I'm pretty sure that the college scholarship is only a one year contract. So if the athlete wants to go somewhere else, they are free to do so. With that freedom comes the risk that the school will choose to not renew the scholarship.


A few years ago it was voted in that NCAA Division I schools can offer 4 year scholarships. I think a couple of conferences voted it in and their schools had to go that route and I think the Big Ten was one of those leagues. However, I don't think it applied to all sports across the board.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 13343



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 8:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe that all five P5 conferences mandated 4 yr scholarships for all sports. Some other conferences like the BE did it only for a couple of sports. Many smaller conferences did nothing.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 25510



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 9:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:
....what do I know anyway.


You, Myrtle, know many many secrets of This Universe and the One in Oregon. Be still my heart. Wink


Laughing Howee, you always make me laugh. Thank you.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
FrozenLVFan



Joined: 08 Jul 2014
Posts: 1322



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:

Medinnah Mohammed (who averaged almost 17 points per game and frosh Chyna Nixon are leaving Ole Miss


Maybe not happy with the coaching change? IDK, but their roster shows 6 of the remaining 10 players on the team will be seniors next year. The new coaching staff will have a major recruiting job ahead.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14931
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 2:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I believe that all five P5 conferences mandated 4 yr scholarships for all sports. Some other conferences like the BE did it only for a couple of sports. Many smaller conferences did nothing.


The scholarships are mandated, though being on the team is not. They can still be removed from the team, but the university will still pay their tuition and stipend.

Most players want to play, and most are encouraged to look elsewhere rather than just kicked off.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5441
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/18/18 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

G Victoria Patrick leaving South Carolina for North Florida. https://t.co/8JtTCRcUIe



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
NoDakSt



Joined: 26 Oct 2005
Posts: 4171
Location: Attilan


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/18 5:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Medinnah Mohammed (who averaged almost 17 points per game and frosh Chyna Nixon are leaving Ole Miss


Maybe not happy with the coaching change? IDK, but their roster shows 6 of the remaining 10 players on the team will be seniors next year. The new coaching staff will have a major recruiting job ahead.


It's interesting that they've updated the roster to reflect The transfer of Mohammed and Kate Rogers but left China Nixon, Barbara Johnson and Promise Taylor are still with the team when all three have been reported to be seeking a transfer



_________________
Free your mind and your ass will follow.
Youth Coach



Joined: 23 Mar 2008
Posts: 4501



Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/18 6:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This likely won't register on most people's radar, but with the out of the blue announcement that D3 Mount Ida College is closing next month, a lot of athletes will be transferring including one of my former youth league players who had a year of eligibility left for the women's basketball team.
summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 5441
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/18 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

Medinnah Mohammed (who averaged almost 17 points per game and frosh Chyna Nixon are leaving Ole Miss


Maybe not happy with the coaching change? IDK, but their roster shows 6 of the remaining 10 players on the team will be seniors next year. The new coaching staff will have a major recruiting job ahead.


It's interesting that they've updated the roster to reflect The transfer of Mohammed and Kate Rogers but left China Nixon, Barbara Johnson and Promise Taylor are still with the team when all three have been reported to be seeking a transfer


I think Medinah Mohammed should be a grad transfer by now. I could be wrong, however.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
Carol Anne



Joined: 09 Apr 2005
Posts: 1663
Location: Seattle


Back to top
PostPosted: 04/19/18 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seton Hall coach Tony Bozzella advocates reducing the number of scholarships allowed in WBB, arguing that this would lead to far fewer transfers.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/987016135194415104
https://setonhall.forums.rivals.com/threads/part-1-of-our-tony-bozzella-interview.34683/


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 8 of 37

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin