RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Announcing the NCAA field

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you want to see all the at-large teams announced first or as the bracket is announced?
Do it first - I want to know.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Keep it as it is - I like the suspense.
100%
 100%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 12

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:16 pm    ::: Announcing the NCAA field Reply Reply with quote

The men's selection show will be done differently this year. All of the teams in the field will be announced in the first ten minutes, and then the bracket placements and seedings will be done afterwards. Would you like to see this model be used for the women's selection show as well?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What's the benefit of doing it the new way?

PostPosted: 03/06/18 1:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess they're trying to make it more "attractive".

Not.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I could be snarky and say, "Ask TBS, they are the ones that are doing it."

But from an informational standpoint if all you are interested in is who is making the field, you can get that immediately without having to wait for the better part of an hour. So if you are a fan of a bubble team you don't have to watch the whole show just to be disappointed.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/06/18 3:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think too much time is spent with the "reveal" and the individual team reactions. I'd rather the entire bracket be displayed at the start and most of the hour spent looking at interesting matchups and questioning (second guessing) the decisions. I'd also like the chair of the committee to be on the TV set the entire show instead of a 1-2 minute softball interview at the end of the show.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No, I like the suspense, and I also like being able to try and guess the field from the pieces we're given. I remember my horrified certainty that the AAC was getting three bids one year because UConn and USF were in the same region, and no way would the committee have put them both there if the AAC were a two-bid conference.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
I think too much time is spent with the "reveal" and the individual team reactions. I'd rather the entire bracket be displayed at the start and most of the hour spent looking at interesting matchups and questioning (second guessing) the decisions. I'd also like the chair of the committee to be on the TV set the entire show instead of a 1-2 minute softball interview at the end of the show.

They want people to watch the whole hour, and many of them wouldn't in that scenario.

PostPosted: 03/06/18 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree there's too much time spent watching teams squeal and jump up and down. I'd rather have more analysis. Although by now those of us who watch every day pretty much know what the ANALysis will be. Still perhaps a few interesting factoids would be nice especially from lesser 'known' teams. I liked the Lobo standing at the chalk board and breaking down some plays - could have more of that.

- Amanda Gorman
calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would love if they would actually give some information about the lower rated teams (not even the 13-16 seeds, but at least 5-8. Unfortunately whatever time they have, they will spend more than 50% on the number 1 seeds and 25% on 2-4. If you get a sentence about any lower team after they have been announced that passes as in-depth analysis.

Coyotes

PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the struggle is to find a balance between the casual observer and the die hard fans on Rebkell who love to hear about great stories. While I'm sure we're all bored to death of hearing about the major contenders this season--it'd be nice to hear about a team like Mercer, FGCU, and Gonzaga. Heck, if Wyoming makes the tournament, it'd be a great story given Liv Roberts came back from an ACL injury to win Mountain West Player of the Year. (Given that they are currently down big to New Mexico, this is a pipe dream.

I dunno. I guess I just want to hear more than UConn, Mississippi State, and the South Carolina-Mizzou feud, and the Walz-McGraw conversation.

willtalk

PostPosted: 03/08/18 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

They want people to watch the whole hour, and many of them wouldn't in that scenario.

Exactly! I do not mind it as much in a bracketing show like this. Hey you can just DVR it and watch it when it is over. What I really hate is when they do documentaries where 95% of the show is spent watching people walking down trails, floating down rivers and taking other forms of transportation to get to the place that the program is supposed to be about. In others they show people looking through microscopes dusting off artifacts in stead of just giving us the information that they reveal a the end of the program. They spend 60 minutes to give information they could reveal in 5 min. It's all about milking information to extend the viewing time.

cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 03/08/18 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I assume the Selection Show will generally suck, as always.

That will change when I win the $1 billion dollar lottery, wrest NCAA WCB tournament broadcasts rights from ESPN et al, and present it the way it deserves to be presented.

I'm more concerned w/ what stupid, shitty promo song we'll be bombarded w/ for 3 weeks. Mad

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: