RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Time to hear from McCallie defenders
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 11:57 am    ::: Time to hear from McCallie defenders Reply Reply with quote

C'mon. You know who you are. Let's hear you defend her record at Duke. Or admit you've defended her only to get under the skin of longtime DWB fans.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3603



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She's an excellent recruiter and her players seldom get in trouble.

She is above mediocre.

She has name recognition and doesn't dress in an embarrassing way.

That's all I got.




Last edited by Fighting Artichoke on 03/04/18 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57582
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are worse coaches



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
She's an excellent recruiter and her player seldom get in trouble.

She is above mediocre.

She has name recognition and doesn't dress in an embarrassing way.

That's all I got.


The operative word here is WAS. She WAS an excellent recruiter. Those days are gone and ain't coming back.

Thanks for playing.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3603



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 12:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There are worse coaches

We should really write reference letters and eulogies.


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There are worse coaches


At P5 schools, there's Kevin McGuff. That's all I got. And when you include how much a program has declined under their tenure, McCallie's got him beat.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3603



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 12:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
She's an excellent recruiter and her player seldom get in trouble.

She is above mediocre.

She has name recognition and doesn't dress in an embarrassing way.

That's all I got.


The operative word here is WAS. She WAS an excellent recruiter. Those days are gone and ain't coming back.

Thanks for playing.

She's not at the high level of a few years ago, and certainly the 2018 was disappointing, but she got Boykin and Williams in 2017, Odom in 2016, Salvadores, Lambert, and Gorecki in 2015, and Calhoun, Belton and Stevens in 2014. The years before those were at least as impressive. Sure a bunch of them leave, but she still convinces them to join in the first place.


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 773



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You guys should've appreciated GG more and not acted so damn spoiled!


SDHoops



Joined: 09 Nov 2007
Posts: 773



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 2:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCallie had one good year at Michigan State where she beat UConn and Tennessee in arguably their worst years in that era, only to get embarrassed by Mulkey in the championship.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 633



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 2:36 pm    ::: Re: Time to hear from McCallie defenders Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
C'mon. You know who you are. Let's hear you defend her record at Duke. Or admit you've defended her only to get under the skin of longtime DWB fans.


Why do you do this to yourself? We all know how you feel. I'm not happy with McGuff but I'm not going out and looking for a fight. Take your stand by taking some action, no matter how big or small. I didn't go to the Big Ten Tourney this year and I've told them that I'm not buying season tickets next year.

Don't allow some faceless people on a message board torment you.


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 3:15 pm    ::: Re: Time to hear from McCallie defenders Reply Reply with quote

bucks4now wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
C'mon. You know who you are. Let's hear you defend her record at Duke. Or admit you've defended her only to get under the skin of longtime DWB fans.


Why do you do this to yourself? We all know how you feel. I'm not happy with McGuff but I'm not going out and looking for a fight. Take your stand by taking some action, no matter how big or small. I didn't go to the Big Ten Tourney this year and I've told them that I'm not buying season tickets next year.

Don't allow some faceless people on a message board torment you.


Tormented? It's redemption time! And I'm sorry about your coach. Women ballers deserve better coaching than the kids at Duke and Ohio State are getting. This is what true fans do. We support each other when our team has a stinker of a coach and do what we can to lift up our sport.

As you are likely aware, there have been literally thousands of Duke fans who've written to the powers that be and attendance at games has decreased every year. But, because women's basketball matters little to none in the eyes of the Duke (& other schools') AD, there has been no action in response to all the critics. Her critics include former players who, when they come back to campus, do not include her in the people they come to see. Pretty much the polar opposite of players who keep up communication with their coaches for years after they've played, DWB players can't wait until they no longer have to communicate in any way with JPM.

It is sad that some here think these things are funny and will go to great lengths to defend this coach. The actions of players and fans speak for themselves. She stinks and she's bad for the game.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2078



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke is not the program it was once nor that it should be or could be. Duke is a top school nationally with a women’s basketball tradition and the coach is clearly not elite and certainly not capable of winning big games.

This hurts the game. Do you see the empty seats in Cameron? Do you see the empty seats today in Greeensboro?

Duke should have gotten rid of her after she missed the tournament in 2016 and lost her two best players. Enough.


PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2078



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke is not the program it was once nor that it should be or could be. Duke is a top school nationally with a women’s basketball tradition and the coach is clearly not elite and certainly not capable of winning big games.

This hurts the game. Do you see the empty seats in Cameron? Do you see the empty seats today in Greeensboro?

Duke should have gotten rid of her after she missed the tournament in 2016 and lost her two best players. Enough.


PUmatty



Joined: 10 Nov 2004
Posts: 14443
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 3:24 pm    ::: Re: Time to hear from McCallie defenders Reply Reply with quote

However McCallie has failed at Duke, it's not half as bad as what Versyp has done at Purdue. One of those teams spent most of this season ranked and the other is missing the tournament again.


bucks4now



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 633



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point is why start a thread like this? I've followed the drama at Duke. I have a friend who had a relative recruited by her to go to Maine and decided she decided to go to Michigan State instead only to have her hired there. It's a bad situation. But why invite people into an argument with you? It's not a healthy mindset.

I've told people that I wanted to ask Gene Smith for a 50% refund of my season tickets because they play no defense.

I wouldn't start a thread and tell people to "write things to get me upset". It's not worth the energy. I grew up bleeding Scarlet and Grey but I'm not going to put myself in a situation asking people to "piss me off".

I'm not defending Coach P in any way an it's sad that there is a mess there.


PRballer



Joined: 18 Apr 2007
Posts: 2078



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 3:47 pm    ::: Re: Time to hear from McCallie defenders Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
However McCallie has failed at Duke, it's not half as bad as what Versyp has done at Purdue. One of those teams spent most of this season ranked and the other is missing the tournament again.


True. And you have a national championship banner hanging in the rafters and a popular and successful men’s program.

Sharon’s gotta go too!


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4887
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke plays in a tough conference. They finished in the upper half of the standings. Tha players rarely get in public trouble (which cannot be said of the men’s teamj. The players are generally academically successful. They will probably get into the NCAA based on past reputation.

On the other hand:
Players leave almost every year. The team has some embarrassing losses and got bounced from the tournament early. They probably won’t get a great seed. She can be very, very embarrassing the way she talks about players, her own or opponents. She’s not good at developing players.

Your turn.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 5488
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 8:49 pm    ::: Re: Time to hear from McCallie defenders Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
However McCallie has failed at Duke, it's not half as bad as what Versyp has done at Purdue. One of those teams spent most of this season ranked and the other is missing the tournament again.


You make a good point. Purdue has not been a contender since the Kristy Curry coaching fiasco. Guess they're happy the coaching staff is no longer committing violations. (bad joke). Your program clearly deserves better.



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
Howee



Joined: 27 Nov 2009
Posts: 11237
Location: Oklahoma (in my heart), whilst on my way to Oregon!


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/04/18 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All in context.

Very true, Duke is NOT what it was when I followed them closely (GG, Ali, Lindsay, Karima, Abby, etc.). Is this just one way teams de-volve into obscurity? Think: Immaculata, Old Dominion, UNC, Virginia, LaTech.

Texas? Declines after Jodi C's departure, and cannot be resurrected, even with Duke's heroine....but now is ascending. There's proof it ain't ALL 'bout A Good Coach. Context.

I am certainly not a Coach P fan. And she is easy to single out as a major culprit. But a program's karma is typically a product of more than one person....isn't it? But then, I think....take Geno or Tara out of their respective equations. Kim gone from Baylor? Pat dies and....no, wait. Maybe it IS all about the coach.



_________________
Oklahoma: Go Sooners! Oregon: Go Ducks!
goforit77



Joined: 09 Jan 2015
Posts: 74



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/18 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

McCallie is a coach you hate if she is the coach of your team....Others don't have to deal with her as closely so they dont get the full effect.

Also Kevin White isn't firing her or buying her out so unless you can find a grass roots way to make her leave Duke is stuck with her.


blaase22



Joined: 28 Mar 2011
Posts: 3719
Location: Paradise


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/05/18 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke should be a lot better than they are!!!


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17184
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/18 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
[She's not at the high level of a few years ago, and certainly the 2018 was disappointing, but she got Boykin and Williams in 2017, Odom in 2016, Salvadores, Lambert, and Gorecki in 2015, and Calhoun, Belton and Stevens in 2014. The years before those were at least as impressive. Sure a bunch of them leave, but she still convinces them to join in the first place.


You named 9 players. 3 of them transferred - one after two seasons, one turned professional after one year, and the third left in the middle of her first season.

This year's recruiting class has three players, all of whom having rankings by national recruiting services over 100.


Durantula



Joined: 30 Mar 2013
Posts: 4535



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/18 6:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I know she has the reputation of a great recruiter but from what I hear she is not a very active recruiter, does not recruit much, her assistants carry a huge load. So when you are not winning as much as you used to then it becomes hard to recruit well. So Duke's decline in recruiting is not that surprising. To lose what Duke loses this year and to bring in that class they have is rough I mean out go Brown and Greenwell and you can't get a single top 75 player to replace them? I'd sign more guards than posts because they signed Williams and Treece in the class before. The guards the have all have serious injury histories now so hard to pencil them in for a full season of play. Talking Boykin, Lambert, and Gorecki.


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3603



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/18 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
[She's not at the high level of a few years ago, and certainly the 2018 was disappointing, but she got Boykin and Williams in 2017, Odom in 2016, Salvadores, Lambert, and Gorecki in 2015, and Calhoun, Belton and Stevens in 2014. The years before those were at least as impressive. Sure a bunch of them leave, but she still convinces them to join in the first place.


You named 9 players. 3 of them transferred - one after two seasons, one turned professional after one year, and the third left in the middle of her first season.

This year's recruiting class has three players, all of whom having rankings by national recruiting services over 100.

I was trying to "damn by faint praise", a way to imply that someone is not very capable by mentioning how average someone is in multiple areas. Read my entire post; I obviously think very little of her abilities. Coach P should have been gone several years ago. Even her recruiting (her major strength at Duke) has dropped off significantly in recent years (I agree with you).

I think the Duke players are leaving because they realize that the situation at Duke is not what they were sold in the recruiting process. That she was continuously able to recruit top notch talent despite Duke's on-court performance is actually a testament to her recruiting prowess. But I guess an argument could be made that recruiting people that do not stay is not successful recruiting. And the allure of Duke (the academic institution) is a very nice card to play.


CamrnCrz1974



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 17184
Location: Phoenix


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/07/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Durantula wrote:
I know she has the reputation of a great recruiter but from what I hear she is not a very active recruiter, does not recruit much, her assistants carry a huge load. So when you are not winning as much as you used to then it becomes hard to recruit well. So Duke's decline in recruiting is not that surprising.


100 percent true.

In general, McCallie prefers to have two of her assistant coaches handle recruiting on a full-time basis.

The one exception was Elizabeth Williams, as McCallie was very active in her recruitment (in part because of her status as a high profile recruit).


Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin