RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Swoopes vs Moore
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Sheryl Swoopes or Maya Moore?
Sheryl Swoopes
56%
 56%  [ 28 ]
Maya Moore
44%
 44%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 50

Author Message
mavcarter



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4646
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 11:20 am    ::: Swoopes vs Moore Reply Reply with quote

All players have won 4 championships, just curious to see if people would build their team around a prime Swoopes or prime Moore.


pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57582
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Swoopes was a welterweight while Moore is a light heavyweight. Should be a mismatch.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 8981



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I respect Maya as an all-time great but she isn't near Swoopes on that list. I'd take Catch before Moore.



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 11:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Genero36 wrote:
I respect Maya as an all-time great but she isn't near Swoopes on that list. I'd take Catch before Moore.


+1
Swoopes & Catch could shut down a whole side on defense maya has not reached that plateau yet .



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 57582
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Genero36 wrote:
I respect Maya as an all-time great but she isn't near Swoopes on that list. I'd take Catch before Moore.


+1
Swoopes & Catch could shut down a whole side on defense maya has not reached that plateau yet .


Yeah, Swoopes shut down a whole side when Lady Grooms was a starter. The talent level in the league is so much higher now that it's hard to make a comparison.



_________________
Make lots of noise
Kiss lots of boys
Or kiss lots of girls
If that's something you're into
When the straight and narrow
Gets a little too straight
Roll up a joint, or don't
Just follow your arrow
Wherever it points, yeah
Follow your arrow
Wherever it points
adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1572



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 12:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never saw Swoopes play in her prime but if people are picking her over Maya she must have been amazing. My pick goes to Maya just because I’m biased.



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
mavcarter



Joined: 02 Sep 2010
Posts: 4646
Location: Chicago


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Yeah, Swoopes shut down a whole side when Lady Grooms was a starter. The talent level in the league is so much higher now that it's hard to make a comparison.


Good point, Swoopes didn't have to deal with players who had the talent in comparison to Taurasi, Pondexter, Augustus, McCoughtry, or Moore on a consistent basis back in the day...


Genero36



Joined: 24 Apr 2005
Posts: 8981



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 12:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
I never saw Swoopes play in her prime but if people are picking her over Maya she must have been amazing. My pick goes to Maya just because I’m biased.


That's fair. Maya deserves respect too.

I wish there were more games available online of Sheryl at her best because you couldn't believe it even when you saw it.

<embed><iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Ww-Ou3o5abE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe></embed>

https://youtu.be/Ww-Ou3o5abE



_________________
I'm all for the separation of church and hate.
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3129
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I take Moore. Swoopes was a better defender, second to Catchings among non-centers for defense, but Moore's offense is sufficiently better so I put her just ahead.


justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7082
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly it isn't on court talent that tips this in favor of Maya, IMO. It's that I want a Superstar with her personality if I am building a franchise. As good as the Comets and Swoopes were, they had some significant personality clashes.

Maya is the epitome of a team player who gets along with literally everyone. And a leader with that personality type shapes a team in that image.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
Randy



Joined: 08 Oct 2011
Posts: 8656



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:


Maya is the epitome of a team player who gets along with literally everyone. And a leader with that personality type shapes a team in that image.


Just to get it out of the way, I voted for Moore. My question though is about being the team leader. Is Moore really the take charge leader of the Lynx? On the Dream there is no question it was Angel; on the Fever it was Catchings, the Liberty it's Tina, and on the Mystics/Sky it was Elana.* On the Lynx though, it isn't clear to me that Moore is that take charge leader, but I don't watch that many Lynx games so maybe I just don't know. Is that how Lynx fans see her? I sort of thought it was Whalen recently and before that Augustus.


*As an aside, I'm pretty sure not all the players on that list are the ideal "team players".


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 2:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The posts would indicate moore would have more votes but the poll is telling a different story Laughing #ReCount #SS22 #Legend #WNBAIcon #1stIcon



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
justintyme



Joined: 08 Jul 2012
Posts: 7082
Location: Northfield, MN


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Lynx are lucky in that they have multiple "leaders" who all take over at times. Which is kind of what I was talking about with Moore. She is a leader who lets others step up as well without getting a bruised ego. She is the queen of chemistry.



_________________
↑↑↓↓←→←→BA
sportsfan48



Joined: 17 Nov 2004
Posts: 1141



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:


Maya is the epitome of a team player who gets along with literally everyone. And a leader with that personality type shapes a team in that image.


Just to get it out of the way, I voted for Moore. My question though is about being the team leader. Is Moore really the take charge leader of the Lynx? On the Dream there is no question it was Angel; on the Fever it was Catchings, the Liberty it's Tina, and on the Mystics/Sky it was Elana.* On the Lynx though, it isn't clear to me that Moore is that take charge leader, but I don't watch that many Lynx games so maybe I just don't know. Is that how Lynx fans see her? I sort of thought it was Whalen recently and before that Augustus.


*As an aside, I'm pretty sure not all the players on that list are the ideal "team players".


To me, the hands down leader on the Lynx is Whalen.


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sportsfan48 wrote:
Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:


Maya is the epitome of a team player who gets along with literally everyone. And a leader with that personality type shapes a team in that image.


Just to get it out of the way, I voted for Moore. My question though is about being the team leader. Is Moore really the take charge leader of the Lynx? On the Dream there is no question it was Angel; on the Fever it was Catchings, the Liberty it's Tina, and on the Mystics/Sky it was Elana.* On the Lynx though, it isn't clear to me that Moore is that take charge leader, but I don't watch that many Lynx games so maybe I just don't know. Is that how Lynx fans see her? I sort of thought it was Whalen recently and before that Augustus.


*As an aside, I'm pretty sure not all the players on that list are the ideal "team players".


To me, the hands down leader on the Lynx is Whalen.


No doubt about it ...+1



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Luuuc



Joined: 10 Feb 2005
Posts: 18834



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

justintyme wrote:
The Lynx are lucky in that they have multiple "leaders" who all take over at times. Which is kind of what I was talking about with Moore. She is a leader who lets others step up as well without getting a bruised ego. She is the queen of chemistry.


There's nothing wrong with leading by letting your game do the talking instead of your mouth.
SS certainly wasn't the queen of chemistry, but it didn't matter because she was damn good. IMO she impacted games a lot more than MM does, but the earlier point is valid too in that it was an era of less talent, and of the talent that there was in the league, about half of it was wearing her team's colours.



_________________
Seems rike no one takes me serirousreee
toad455



Joined: 16 Nov 2005
Posts: 17685



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 7:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just on defense alone Swoopes was better. This isn't an even contest. Swoopes 100%!



_________________
LET'S GO LIBERTY!!!!!!

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 245



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 7:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gotta go Swoopes on this one. She won in ‘92 had a baby and came back to play in ‘96. No WNBA 4 years of her prime. She never had a stacked team. Maya hasn’t known a team that was so heavily on her shoulders except the year she lost in college. She is not even the best player on her team.


adamj95



Joined: 09 May 2014
Posts: 1572



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
Gotta go Swoopes on this one. She won in ‘92 had a baby and came back to play in ‘96. No WNBA 4 years of her prime. She never had a stacked team. Maya hasn’t known a team that was so heavily on her shoulders except the year she lost in college. She is not even the best player on her team.


Swoopes, Thompson, and Cooper wasn’t a stacked team? I didn’t want the league back then but wouldn’t that be comparable to Whalen, Augustus, and Moore?



_________________
4 time WNBA Champion, 3rd all time in Assists, Minnesota's own: LINDSAY WHALEN.
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49472



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skyfan22 wrote:
She never had a stacked team.


How much more stacked could it get?

Skyfan22 wrote:
Maya hasn’t known a team that was so heavily on her shoulders except the year she lost in college.


Her MVP year weighed heavily on her shoulders.

Skyfan22 wrote:
She is not even the best player on her team.


She just transformed a bad franchise is all.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
Gotta go Swoopes on this one. She won in ‘92 had a baby and came back to play in ‘96. No WNBA 4 years of her prime. She never had a stacked team. Maya hasn’t known a team that was so heavily on her shoulders except the year she lost in college. She is not even the best player on her team.


Swoopes, Thompson, and Cooper wasn’t a stacked team? I didn’t want the league back then but wouldn’t that be comparable to Whalen, Augustus, and Moore?


Yeah i agree with Skyfan on everything except the stacked team part. In the beginning years SS22 had a stacked team with Coop, Thompson & Arcain...but id say Year 2000 is when she took off with a stacked team or not .



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Aladyyn



Joined: 23 Jul 2017
Posts: 1173
Location: Czech Republic


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/02/18 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ok, Fowles was better than Maya in 2017. What about the previous 3 titles? Specifically the 2 she won without Fowles? Swoopes won 0 after Cooper retired. None of the team based arguments go in Swoopes' favor.


Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 245



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/18 1:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Skyfan22 wrote:
She never had a stacked team.


How much more stacked could it get?

Comets never had a top point guard to run the show. To my recollection, center was filled by committee, with Tina having to take on the biggest threat in the post.

Skyfan22 wrote:
Maya hasn’t known a team that was so heavily on her shoulders except the year she lost in college.


Her MVP year weighed heavily on her shoulders.

Swoopes nearly single handedly took Texas tech a perennial nobody to a championship. Moore took a perennial champion to—— Not

Skyfan22 wrote:
She is not even the best player on her team.


She just transformed a bad franchise is all.


With the help of a returning Augustus, Whalen and the beast Brunson. That first year or 2 I’d give the fire and drive of Mone more value then adding in Moore.

But, as I think about it, The best player on the Houston Comets arguably was Cooper.


Skyfan22



Joined: 12 Aug 2013
Posts: 245



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/18 1:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aladyyn wrote:
Ok, Fowles was better than Maya in 2017. What about the previous 3 titles? Specifically the 2 she won without Fowles? Swoopes won 0 after Cooper retired. None of the team based arguments go in Swoopes' favor.


Hmmm,I believe both titles that Syl won as a Lynx, she was MVP of the finals. And kind of to the extent that it was beyond question. If we remove Syl, the finals MVP, do the lynx win 2 more titles? After cooper left then Swoopes played as part of the big 2 + arcain. When has maya not been comfortably positioned around 3 other stars, or more?


MNfan22



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 2713



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/03/18 1:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
justintyme wrote:


Maya is the epitome of a team player who gets along with literally everyone. And a leader with that personality type shapes a team in that image.


Just to get it out of the way, I voted for Moore. My question though is about being the team leader. Is Moore really the take charge leader of the Lynx? On the Dream there is no question it was Angel; on the Fever it was Catchings, the Liberty it's Tina, and on the Mystics/Sky it was Elana.* On the Lynx though, it isn't clear to me that Moore is that take charge leader, but I don't watch that many Lynx games so maybe I just don't know. Is that how Lynx fans see her? I sort of thought it was Whalen recently and before that Augustus. ....

No, at least I don't.



_________________
Minnesota Lynx-est 1999-WNBA Champs! '11,'13,'15, '17
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin