RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

A'ja Wilson day-to-day after suffering scare with vertigo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 02/28/18 8:53 pm    ::: A'ja Wilson day-to-day after suffering scare with vertigo Reply Reply with quote

https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/south-carolina-star-a-ja-wilson-day-to-day-after/article_ca948fde-1cc2-11e8-8a98-b39d477e017b.html

Quote:
Your equilibrium is off and you sit down, the room is spinning. You stand up and the room is spinning. You lie down, the room is spinning, so you really can’t get any relief from it

PostPosted: 02/28/18 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is pretty friggin scary. Like what is the cause and will it randomly return? Sounds like some kind of hormonal or other imbalance. I know it can happen with/after illness but as far as I know, she hasn't been sick. Hopefully they can find out the why.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/01/18 10:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vertigo can be caused by a lot of things...everything from rolling over in bed quickly to motion sickness, migraines, concussions, pregnancy, tumors, strokes, and very commonly, inner ear infections or disorders. If it has persisted for a week, I would surmise they've got a doctor sorting it out.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/01/18 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vertigo is no damn fun. The Man has periodic bouts of it. His is apparently caused by tiny crystals in the inner ear getting out of alignment, which they do on occasion for no reason whatsoever. He has exercises to do to realign them which were developed by a doctor in Colorado who suffers from the same thing. Medication didn't help and made her (and him) groggy.

PostPosted: 03/01/18 11:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My mom gets it really bad- like mr. blues, she has a problem with the inner ear crystals getting really badly out of alignment. She's had better luck with medication than exercises, though.

I really hope they're able to sort out the root cause for Wilson and get it taken care of.

PostPosted: 03/01/18 1:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If it's benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), I've had that twice as did my wife, which I self-diagnosed from the internet. It cured all times immediately after head movement exercises that are now detailed in many YouTube videos. As others have said, it's due to tiny crystals escaping from the semicircular canals and playing havoc with the tiny hairs in the ear. The head movement exercises get the crystals back where they belong.
myrtle

PostPosted: 03/01/18 2:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
If it's benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV), I've had that twice as did my wife, which I self-diagnosed from the internet. It cured all times immediately after head movement exercises that are now detailed in many YouTube videos. As others have said, it's due to tiny crystals escaping from the semicircular canals and playing havoc with the tiny hairs in the ear. The head movement exercises get the crystals back where they belong.

Now that you say this, I remember a friend had the problem after having the flu and when it persisted someone gave her the exercises and it was immediately resolved. These bodies we inhabit are pretty amazing. Hopefully it's that simple for A'ja.

- Amanda Gorman
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 03/01/18 7:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They're fortunate the exercises worked. Sometimes it requires multiple treatments on a tilt table by a physician to get the crystals repositioned.

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/01/18 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
They're fortunate the exercises worked. Sometimes it requires multiple treatments on a tilt table by a physician to get the crystals repositioned.

Oh, I think this is the part where my mom started throwing up. I hope that doesn't happen with Wilson.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: