RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Filling the Bracket
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/23/18 6:51 pm    ::: Filling the Bracket Reply Reply with quote

This is my first full bracket attempt using the new bracket principles. I already have a problem with Oklahoma and DePaul playing in the first round (who already played this season), but since there will be many seeding changes, particularly in the middle of bracket, I did not try to adjust it. I have listed my rating for each team and signified automatic bids with a *.

Albany Region

Connecticut (1)* vs Cal St Bakersfield (64)*
Michigan (29) vs Dayton (35)*
Duke (13) vs UAB (51)*
Texas A&M (18) vs Mercer (46)*
S Carolina (8) vs American (58)*
Arizona St (25) vs Miami (39)
Ohio St (12)* vs Albany (54)*
DePaul (24)* vs Oklahoma (44)

Spokane Region

Notre Dame (4) vs Robert Morris (62)*
Villanova (32) vs Nebraska (33)
Georgia (16) vs James Madison (49)*
Oregon St (19) vs Princeton (48)*
Oregon (6)* vs Drake (57)*
Oklahoma St (27) vs Belmont (40)*
Tennessee (10) vs Gonzaga (53)*
N Carolina St (21) vs Indiana (41)

Kansas City Region

Mississippi St (2)* vs Southern (63)*
Green Bay (31)* vs Syracuse (36)
Stanford (14) vs Northern Colorado (50)*
South Florida (20) vs South Dakota (45)*
Texas (7) vs Lamar (60)*
Marquette (26) vs USC (37)
Florida St (11) vs Wyoming (55)*
Iowa (22) vs FGCU (43)*

Lexington Region

Louisville (3)* vs Bethune Cookman (61)*
California (30) vs Central Michigan (34)*
Missouri (15) vs Little Rock (52)*
Maryland (19) vs Quinnipiac (47)*
Baylor (5)* vs Liberty (59)*
Minnesota (28) vs Virginia (38)
UCLA (9) vs UC Davis (56)*
LSU (23) vs Buffalo (42)

The last teams considered that did not make the field were West Virginia, Rutgers, Creighton (dropped out today with loss to Georgetown), Purdue, TCU, South Dakota St and Michigan St.




Last edited by calbearman76 on 02/24/18 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49470



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/23/18 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My Minny is a 7 seed!



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 12:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With the days running out in the regular season 4 games stand out on Saturday that could impact the bubble teams:

Oklahoma St @ West Virginia - West Virginia needs a big win. Even though OSU isn't in the top 50 of the RPI they seem safely in the field. WVU plays OSU and Baylor. OSU plays WVU and TCU. Each team probably needs 1 win.

Baylor @ TCU - If Baylor keeps winning they will get a #1 seed, most likely in Kansas City. TCU needs at least one more big win. This could be it.

Indiana @ Iowa - Indiana is the ultimate bubble team. A few weeks ago they had no shot; now they have won 8 in a row. A win and they should be in; a loss would mean 14 losses (after the Big 10 Tourney).

Michigan St @ Purdue - Both of these teams are outside now, but could still climb in. A loss eliminates MSU. A win gets Purdue very close, although they probably need someone else to fall off. But with an upset in the Big 10 tourney over Maryland or Ohio St either team could still get there.


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3603



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
With the days running out in the regular season 4 games stand out on Saturday that could impact the bubble teams:

Oklahoma St @ West Virginia - West Virginia needs a big win. Even though OSU isn't in the top 50 of the RPI they seem safely in the field. WVU plays OSU and Baylor. OSU plays WVU and TCU. Each team probably needs 1 win.

Baylor @ TCU - If Baylor keeps winning they will get a #1 seed, most likely in Kansas City. TCU needs at least one more big win. This could be it.

Indiana @ Iowa - Indiana is the ultimate bubble team. A few weeks ago they had no shot; now they have won 8 in a row. A win and they should be in; a loss would mean 14 losses (after the Big 10 Tourney).

Michigan St @ Purdue - Both of these teams are outside now, but could still climb in. A loss eliminates MSU. A win gets Purdue very close, although they probably need someone else to fall off. But with an upset in the Big 10 tourney over Maryland or Ohio St either team could still get there.


What makes you think that Baylor would pass Notre Dame or Louisville if either team wins out? Or do you believe that the selection committee will send ND to Spokane and Louisville to Lexington regardless of what happens? (Obviously Louisville as a 2-seed if they lose in the ACC tourney.)

If Louisville wins out, then they will go to Lexington as the 1-seed, Miss. St. to Kansas City as the 1-seed, and Baylor to Spokane as the 1-seed? Where would ND go in this instance?

How would Baylor hop ND if both win out? KC is not within driving distance of Waco: 640 miles, so that cancels out the G-curve argument. Will Baylor's resume be somehow superior by then? ND will have defeated the 3rd 1-seed Louisville while Texas will have defeated 2-seed Texas.

Note that I'm not saying you're wrong in predicting what the committee might do, but I am also asking what you think.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 1:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I believe Baylor will be a #1 seed if they win out, but it will be the overall 4 seed if Notre Dame plays Louisville in the ACC final.

The positioning of #1 seeds is something I have considered a few different ways. The new wording doesn't appear to give any preference to the overall #2 seed over the overall #3 seed or #4 seed. Whether the Committee will read them this way is another thing. I suspect the Committee will place Connecticut in Albany (no brainer) and Oregon in Spokane. I also believe they would like to have Louisville in Lexington and either Baylor or Texas in Kansas City because of the Big 12 ties.

If Mississippi St, Louisville and Baylor all go undefeated the rest of the way I could see the Committee shipping Baylor to Spokane and making Texas the 2 seed in KC. It may also be that bracket-balancing will be made more difficult if the overall #4 seed is in Kansas City. So saying Baylor will likely be in Kansas City might have been overstated. I think that would be their preference, but it may be difficult to achieve given the other objectives.




Last edited by calbearman76 on 02/24/18 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shades



Joined: 10 Jul 2006
Posts: 49470



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 1:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I noticed you have Minnesota listed twice. I would prefer to be in the Lexington region.



_________________
Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
I noticed you have Minnesota listed twice. I would prefer to be in the Lexington region.


Thank you for catching that. I have corrected it. It should have been Michigan vs Dayton. Hopefully that was the only mistake (other than my bad predictive skills)


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3603



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
I believe Baylor will be a #1 seed if they win out, but it will be the overall 4 seed if Notre Dame plays Louisville in the ACC final.

The positioning of #1 seeds is something I have considered a few different ways. The new wording doesn't appear to give any preference to the overall #2 seed over the overall #3 seed or #4 seed. Whether the Committee will read them this way is another thing. I suspect the Committee will place Connecticut in Albany (no brainer) and Oregon in Spokane. I also believe they would like to have Louisville in Lexington and either Baylor or Texas in Kansas City because of the Big 12 ties.

If Mississippi St, Louisville and Baylor all go undefeated the rest of the way I could see the Committee shipping Baylor to Spokane and making Texas the 2 seed in KC. It may also be that bracket-balancing will be made more difficult if the overall #4 seed is in Kansas City. So saying Baylor will likely be in Kansas City might have been overstated. I think that would be their preference, but it may be difficult to achieve given the other objectives.


Ironically, Kansas City is in Missouri (not Kansas, of course), which is now SEC territory, And with Texas A&M in the SEC as well, geographic regions become less clear and more blended. And don't even get me started on Nebraska in the B1G, Notre Dame in the ACC (are the Great Lakes part of the Atlantic Coast?), and West Virginia in the B12.


summertime blues



Joined: 16 Apr 2013
Posts: 4887
Location: Shenandoah Valley


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The CAA is completely up for grabs right now since Drexel beat JMU last night. It kind of depends on the last 2 games for the seeding and then what happens after that. The tourney is in Drexel's arena (ugh) which makes it even more up for grabs. Right now it's anybody's guess.



_________________
Don't take life so serious. It ain't nohows permanent.
It takes 3 years to build a team and 7 to build a program.--Conventional Wisdom
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
I believe Baylor will be a #1 seed if they win out, but it will be the overall 4 seed if Notre Dame plays Louisville in the ACC final.

The positioning of #1 seeds is something I have considered a few different ways. The new wording doesn't appear to give any preference to the overall #2 seed over the overall #3 seed or #4 seed. Whether the Committee will read them this way is another thing. I suspect the Committee will place Connecticut in Albany (no brainer) and Oregon in Spokane. I also believe they would like to have Louisville in Lexington and either Baylor or Texas in Kansas City because of the Big 12 ties.

If Mississippi St, Louisville and Baylor all go undefeated the rest of the way I could see the Committee shipping Baylor to Spokane and making Texas the 2 seed in KC. It may also be that bracket-balancing will be made more difficult if the overall #4 seed is in Kansas City. So saying Baylor will likely be in Kansas City might have been overstated. I think that would be their preference, but it may be difficult to achieve given the other objectives.


Ironically, Kansas City is in Missouri (not Kansas, of course), which is now SEC territory, And with Texas A&M in the SEC as well, geographic regions become less clear and more blended. And don't even get me started on Nebraska in the B1G, Notre Dame in the ACC (are the Great Lakes part of the Atlantic Coast?), and West Virginia in the B12.


And the Big 10 Tournament (men's) is at MSG. I don't think the people in either part of Kansas City would say they are in SEC country. But I get your point.


Fighting Artichoke



Joined: 12 Dec 2012
Posts: 3603



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 3:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
I believe Baylor will be a #1 seed if they win out, but it will be the overall 4 seed if Notre Dame plays Louisville in the ACC final.

The positioning of #1 seeds is something I have considered a few different ways. The new wording doesn't appear to give any preference to the overall #2 seed over the overall #3 seed or #4 seed. Whether the Committee will read them this way is another thing. I suspect the Committee will place Connecticut in Albany (no brainer) and Oregon in Spokane. I also believe they would like to have Louisville in Lexington and either Baylor or Texas in Kansas City because of the Big 12 ties.

If Mississippi St, Louisville and Baylor all go undefeated the rest of the way I could see the Committee shipping Baylor to Spokane and making Texas the 2 seed in KC. It may also be that bracket-balancing will be made more difficult if the overall #4 seed is in Kansas City. So saying Baylor will likely be in Kansas City might have been overstated. I think that would be their preference, but it may be difficult to achieve given the other objectives.


Ironically, Kansas City is in Missouri (not Kansas, of course), which is now SEC territory, And with Texas A&M in the SEC as well, geographic regions become less clear and more blended. And don't even get me started on Nebraska in the B1G, Notre Dame in the ACC (are the Great Lakes part of the Atlantic Coast?), and West Virginia in the B12.


And the Big 10 Tournament (men's) is at MSG. I don't think the people in either part of Kansas City would say they are in SEC country. But I get your point.

I was saying Missouri is in SEC territory tongue in cheek, but Missouri and Arkansas and Louisiana are all stacked on top of each other (same longitude). And eastward you have Kentucky and Tennessee at the same latitude, so it;s really not as much of a stretch as I first thought. Starkville is 630 miles from Kansas City and Waco is 637 from Kansas City, so both schools are equidistant.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 4:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
The CAA is completely up for grabs right now since Drexel beat JMU last night. It kind of depends on the last 2 games for the seeding and then what happens after that. The tourney is in Drexel's arena (ugh) which makes it even more up for grabs. Right now it's anybody's guess.


Whether Drexel, JMU or Elon wins the CAA I believe they will be a 13 seed, although they could slip to 14. No matter, this a down year so I don't see any chance for a first round upset.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
The CAA is completely up for grabs right now since Drexel beat JMU last night. It kind of depends on the last 2 games for the seeding and then what happens after that. The tourney is in Drexel's arena (ugh) which makes it even more up for grabs. Right now it's anybody's guess.


Whether Drexel, JMU or Elon wins the CAA I believe they will be a 13 seed, although they could slip to 14. No matter, this a down year so I don't see any chance for a first round upset.


I dunno, they could easily be as high as 10 if it's JMU, based on reputation.



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
The CAA is completely up for grabs right now since Drexel beat JMU last night. It kind of depends on the last 2 games for the seeding and then what happens after that. The tourney is in Drexel's arena (ugh) which makes it even more up for grabs. Right now it's anybody's guess.


Whether Drexel, JMU or Elon wins the CAA I believe they will be a 13 seed, although they could slip to 14. No matter, this a down year so I don't see any chance for a first round upset.


I dunno, they could easily be as high as 10 if it's JMU, based on reputation.


Reputation's one thing, but this year their best non-conference win was over Liberty and their next best was either Vermont or Bryant. They played well in conference, but the CAA is down this season.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/24/18 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The biggest beneficiary of today's games appears to be Rutgers. While the loss by Indiana is by no means a bad loss and normally wouldn't adversely affect them, the Hoosiers will now have 14 losses when they are considered for an at large berth. Barring a major upset tomorrow, it appears that Indiana will play Michigan St and Rutgers will play Purdue in the first round of the Big 10 Tourney. The Rutgers - Purdue winner may be seen as more worthy of a bid unless MSU or Indiana can upset Maryland. The other teams trying to climb in, West Virginia and TCU, both lost, as did Creighton on Friday. Buffalo and Oklahoma, who were among the last in, were both able to win and solidify their positions somewhat.

Tomorrow's big games are primarily about seeding.

Nebraska @ Maryland - Some people still have Nebraska questionable because of their low RPI (65), but I believe even with a loss to Maryland and to Michigan in the Big 10 1st Rd.( their likely opponent) they should still sneak in. For the Terps any chance of hosting requires a win in this game or a Tournament title, maybe both.

South Carolina @ Tennessee - Right now I have USC as a 2 seed and a win here would make it more likely. That may not be best however, as it makes UConn more likely in the Elite 8.

Creighton @ Villanova - A loss by the Blue Jays means they will have to win the Big East Tourney, a win could mean just 1 win in the tourney could earn a berth. Villanova appears safe, but a loss to Creighton and a loss in the first round of the Big East Tournament will have them sweating a bit.

Virginia Tech @ Miami - The Hurricanes appeared safe until they lost to the other Tech. Now they need to beat the Hokies to be safe.

Oregon St @ Arizona St - Both these teams are in, but the outcome of the game could still have an affect on who gets in the NCAA. ASU has dropped out of the top 50 in the RPI (51), and as a result has made the resumes of all Pac 12 teams look worse. A win would move them back into the top 50. The biggest impact was felt by USC who, despite winning, lost two of its 3 top 50 wins when ASU went to 51 without playing and Purdue went to 53 because of their loss to Michigan St. I still believe USC is safe, but a loss to Washington St in the Pac 12 tourney might mean those 2 top 50 wins become very important. Apart from the numbers, Oregon St also still has an outside chance at a top 4 seed.

Missouri @ Texas A&M - The seeding Committee has consistently had 5 or 6 SEC teams hosting. This game will help the winner to achieve the goal. The Aggies can't afford a home loss. Missouri could lose, but then they couldn't slip up in the SEC tourney.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/18 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creighton at Villanova also has Big East seeding considerations involved; if both DePaul and Marquette win today (or both lose, I guess, but LOL that's not happening) that game is the tie-breaker for the Big East regular season title. DePaul and Marquette are probably both safely tournament teams, but would a conference title affect NCAA tournament seeding?



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/18 11:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Creighton at Villanova also has Big East seeding considerations involved; if both DePaul and Marquette win today (or both lose, I guess, but LOL that's not happening) that game is the tie-breaker for the Big East regular season title. DePaul and Marquette are probably both safely tournament teams, but would a conference title affect NCAA tournament seeding?


The Committee doesn't seem to care about regular season titles, certainly not about tiebreakers that decide them. I actually believe they should, particularly in the Big East where they play an even schedule (everyone plays everyone else twice).

Some people still think your Johnnies still have a shot, but short of a win today and a run to the finals where they lose in OT, I can't see it.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/25/18 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These were my comments from yesterday, looking forward to today's games. This is how today's games affected the brackets

calbearman76 wrote:
The biggest beneficiary of today's games appears to be Rutgers.

They should have been, but a loss to NORTHWESTERN today means that Rutgers will probably have to beat both Purdue and Ohio St to get into the conversation again. What a collapse.

While the loss by Indiana is by no means a bad loss and normally wouldn't adversely affect them, the Hoosiers will now have 14 losses when they are considered for an at large berth. Barring a major upset tomorrow, it appears that Indiana will play Michigan St and Rutgers will play Purdue in the first round of the Big 10 Tourney. The Rutgers - Purdue winner may be seen as more worthy of a bid unless MSU or Indiana can upset Maryland.

Indiana now seems to be back in the driver's seat. 14 losses is a lot, but a win over MSU could be enough, particularly if Rutgers upends Purdue.

The other teams trying to climb in, West Virginia and TCU, both lost, as did Creighton on Friday. Buffalo and Oklahoma, who were among the last in, were both able to win and solidify their positions somewhat.

Tomorrow's big games are primarily about seeding.

Nebraska @ Maryland - Some people still have Nebraska questionable because of their low RPI (65), but I believe even with a loss to Maryland and to Michigan in the Big 10 1st Rd.( their likely opponent) they should still sneak in. For the Terps any chance of hosting requires a win in this game or a Tournament title, maybe both.


Terps win close, no change in my mind.

South Carolina @ Tennessee - Right now I have USC as a 2 seed and a win here would make it more likely. That may not be best however, as it makes UConn more likely in the Elite 8.

The absence of Aja Wilson lessens the impact of the game. Tennessee solidifies their position as a 3 seed, and could still earn a 2 with a strong SEC tourney performance

Creighton @ Villanova - A loss by the Blue Jays means they will have to win the Big East Tourney, a win could mean just 1 win in the tourney could earn a berth. Villanova appears safe, but a loss to Creighton and a loss in the first round of the Big East Tournament will have them sweating a bit.

Villanova is in, Creighton needs to win the Big East

Virginia Tech @ Miami - The Hurricanes appeared safe until they lost to the other Tech. Now they need to beat the Hokies to be safe.

Miami is in, Hokies are NIT

Oregon St @ Arizona St - Both these teams are in, but the outcome of the game could still have an affect on who gets in the NCAA. ASU has dropped out of the top 50 in the RPI (51), and as a result has made the resumes of all Pac 12 teams look worse. A win would move them back into the top 50. The biggest impact was felt by USC who, despite winning, lost two of its 3 top 50 wins when ASU went to 51 without playing and Purdue went to 53 because of their loss to Michigan St. I still believe USC is safe, but a loss to Washington St in the Pac 12 tourney might mean those 2 top 50 wins become very important. Apart from the numbers, Oregon St also still has an outside chance at a top 4 seed.

Oregon St pulled off a nice second half comeback thanks to Marie Gulich and goes into the Pac 12 Tourney as a 3 seed. The win helps their chances of hosting, but they still need a win over Stanford in the Pac 12 semis to have a good shot. As for Arizona St, they are now 57 in the RPI and they will drop even further when they play Arizona in the first round of the Pac 12 Tourney. Even a win over Oregon St in the second round may not get them back into the top 50.. Barring a loss to Arizona, ASU is in the NCAA, but a sub 50 RPI rank hurts everyone in the Pac 12, particularly USC and Cal. It could also hurt Buffalo because ASU beat them early in the season and this would be a third sub 50 loss. It shouldn't be considered that way, but it could keep the Bulls from getting an at-large berth. Buffalo is already disadvantaged because their best non-conference win over Nebraska, the 3rd place team in the Big 10, is not a top 50 win.

Missouri @ Texas A&M - The seeding Committee has consistently had 5 or 6 SEC teams hosting. This game will help the winner to achieve the goal. The Aggies can't afford a home loss. Missouri could lose, but then they couldn't slip up in the SEC tourney.

The Aggies victory makes for a 4 way tie for 4th in the SEC. Even though Georgia is 3rd, the Bulldogs, Tigers and Aggies are now roughly equal in terms of their NCAA resumes and are all fighting to host. LSU is actually the 4 seed in the SEC and will likely face Texas A&M in the Quarters. Georgia will play 6 seed Missouri and South Carolina will play 7 seed Tennessee. Wins by the Aggies and Tigers in the Quarters should get them to host.


I have found a few other Bracket projections on line and hope they will be updated tomorrow. While I believe mine are the most accurate (because I'm conceited that way) I will summarize those tomorrow. The only games of interest the next two days are the final games in the Big 12, and whether West Virginia, Oklahoma and TCU can upset Baylor, Texas and Oklahoma St respectively. WVU can salvage their season, OU may not need to, and TCU will still need to do more in the conference tourney, but it will be a start.


Queenie



Joined: 18 Nov 2004
Posts: 15767
Location: Queens


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
Some people still think your Johnnies still have a shot, but short of a win today and a run to the finals where they lose in OT, I can't see it.


Those people must have been smoking the good stuff. I'm expecting a WNIT bid and maybe one home game.



_________________
We must not confuse dissent with disloyalty.
WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 7589
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OU on the first 4 out line , Sherrie Coale needs to get her team back on that high horse and have a good Big12 Tourney performance



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 02/26/18 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
OU on the first 4 out line , Sherrie Coale needs to get her team back on that high horse and have a good Big12 Tourney performance


Along with Charlie Crème the only other full field prediction I found that was updated today is on College Sports Madness. Real Time RPI also purports to have a woman's bracket, but it is essentially just the RPI ratings, but inexplicably lists UConn as a 5 seed. The other frequently updated bracket prediction is on Summitt Hoops, but it appears that will not be updated until Wednesday.

As expected most of the at large bids are the same on Creme, CSM and my predictions, but there are a few differences. Creme includes Purdue, Rutgers, Creighton and Buffalo. College Sports Madness includes West Virginia, Creighton, Rutgers and Nebraska (It also includes Buffalo as the aoutomatic bid from the MAC, and leaves out Central Michigan.) I include Nebraska, Buffalo, Oklahoma and Indiana. All of these teams should be seen as bubble teams. I have already expounded on most of them, but if there is one common thread that runs through my choices, it is that they have done better at the end of the season. Oklahoma is going to finish at least tied for third in the Big 12. Nebraska finished tied for third in the Big 10, and Indiana finished 9-7 in the Big 10 after starting 1-6. Indiana is the last team in for me, essentially on the basis of beating Purdue, the team that tied with Indiana for seventh in the Big 10 at 9-7, twice. West Virginia would displace Indiana if they were to beat Baylor tonight. Rutgers and Creighton both played themselves out of the tournament this weekend as far as I'm concerned. Oklahoma can assure its bid with a win tomorrow over Texas. Otherwise, both Oklahoma and Indiana will need to win their first game in their conference tourneys and hope no other surprises happen.

A few other teams should be mentioned that Crème mentions in the next teams out. He has South Dakota St as the first team out. I have them slightly lower but have not included them because in order for the Jackrabbits to get an at-large bid they would have to lose for a third time to South Dakota, and even though that might move the Coyotes into the top 50 in the RPI I don't think it will make SDSU's resume good enough. Ball St could get close with a win this week over Central Michigan, and could really make things interesting if they went on to get to the finals of the MAC tourney (I'm not sure whether they would play CMU or Buffalo in the Semis). Central Florida doesn't look like an NCAA team even if they upset South Florida in the AAC Tourney.

Creme and I have the same top 24 teams at this point. The only significant difference is that I have dropped Missouri to a 5 seed as a result of the blowout loss to Texas A&M but Creme still has Missouri as a 3 seed. I moved Texas A&M in as the last team to host.

Because I am leaving for Seattle tomorrow morning (have to take the long way because of weather so its a 2 day drive I haven't done a full new bracket, but all of the teams are the same, except for Drexel and Maine replacing James Madison and Albany as automatic bids. There were a few minor seeding changes, most notably UCLA replacing South Carolina as the last 2 seed.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/18 6:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

With only a few conference tournament semifinals and finals remaining, none of which will affect the at-large teams or seeding of the top 40 teams, here is my near final bracket projection. (I will post changes based on upsets in the conference tourneys, but they should be minor.)

Albany

Connecticut (1) vs Seattle (64)
Michigan (32) vs Quinnipiac (38)
North Carolina St (15) vs George Washington (52)
Missouri (20) vs Creighton (44)

South Carolina (7) vs Liberty (58)*
Green Bay (28) vs Syracuse (34)
UCLA (11) vs UC Davis (53)*
Iowa (22) vs Belmont (46)

Spokane

Notre Dame (4) vs Robert Morris (62)*
Nebraska (29) vs Oklahoma St (35)
Georgia (14) vs Elon (49)
Oregon St (18) vs Northern Colorado (48)

Oregon (6) vs Boise St (59)
Marquette (27) vs Buffalo (39)
Ohio St (10) vs Drake (55)*
LSU (24) vs Miami (42)

Lexington

Louisville (2) vs North Carolina A&T (61)
California (31) vs Villanova (37)
Texas A&M (16) vs Western Kentucky (50)
Maryland (17) vs Princeton (47)*

Texas (8) vs American (57)*
Arizona State (25) vs Virginia (33)
Tennessee (9) vs Little Rock (56)*
South Florida (23) vs Rutgers (43)


Kansas City

Mississippi St (3) vs Grambling (63)
Central Michigan (30) vs South Dakota St (36)
Stanford (13) vs Gonzaga (51)
Duke (19) vs Florida Gulf Coast (45)*

Baylor (5) vs Stephen F Austin (60)*
Minnesota (26) vs USC (40)
Florida St (12) vs Maine (54)
DePaul (21) vs Mercer (41)

Virginia, Syracuse and Creighton were moved down 1 line for procedural purposes.

The last teams left out were (in alphabetical order): Dayton, Indiana, Oklahoma, Purdue, TCU, Virginia Tech, West Virginia


patsweetpat



Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 2068
Location: Culver City, CA


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/18 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
With only a few conference tournament semifinals and finals remaining, none of which will affect the at-large teams or seeding of the top 40 teams, here is my near final bracket projection. (I will post changes based on upsets in the conference tourneys, but they should be minor.)

Albany

Connecticut (1) vs Seattle (64)
UCLA (11) vs UC Davis (53)*


I just cannot begin to believe that the committee will place UCLA into UConn's bracket for the third year in a row. Folks in the other bracket thread are beefing about the prospective unfairness of Texas perhaps being in UConn's bracket for the third time in four years. How much less fair for UCLA to be sent there three consecutive years. Eff that. Some other Pac-12 team can go.


calbearman76



Joined: 02 Nov 2009
Posts: 3126
Location: Carson City


Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/18 9:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

patsweetpat wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
With only a few conference tournament semifinals and finals remaining, none of which will affect the at-large teams or seeding of the top 40 teams, here is my near final bracket projection. (I will post changes based on upsets in the conference tourneys, but they should be minor.)

Albany

Connecticut (1) vs Seattle (64)
UCLA (11) vs UC Davis (53)*


I just cannot begin to believe that the committee will place UCLA into UConn's bracket for the third year in a row. Folks in the other bracket thread are beefing about the prospective unfairness of Texas perhaps being in UConn's bracket for the third time in four years. How much less fair for UCLA to be sent there three consecutive years. Eff that. Some other Pac-12 team can go.


I must say that I didn't consider where UCLA had been placed in prior years, and that is one of the points that the Committee is supposed to consider. The difficulty is that the placement of the top 4 seeds has several different rules associated with it and so once I got one that reasonably worked I didn't go any further. As I look at it, it would have been possible to flip both UCLA and North Carolina St with Florida St and Stanford in the Kansas City region and still achieve all the principles. I won't change my bracket, but the Committee will hopefully consider your point.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 23318



Back to top
PostPosted: 03/10/18 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

calbearman76 wrote:
patsweetpat wrote:
calbearman76 wrote:
With only a few conference tournament semifinals and finals remaining, none of which will affect the at-large teams or seeding of the top 40 teams, here is my near final bracket projection. (I will post changes based on upsets in the conference tourneys, but they should be minor.)

Albany

Connecticut (1) vs Seattle (64)
UCLA (11) vs UC Davis (53)*


I just cannot begin to believe that the committee will place UCLA into UConn's bracket for the third year in a row. Folks in the other bracket thread are beefing about the prospective unfairness of Texas perhaps being in UConn's bracket for the third time in four years. How much less fair for UCLA to be sent there three consecutive years. Eff that. Some other Pac-12 team can go.


I must say that I didn't consider where UCLA had been placed in prior years, and that is one of the points that the Committee is supposed to consider. The difficulty is that the placement of the top 4 seeds has several different rules associated with it and so once I got one that reasonably worked I didn't go any further. As I look at it, it would have been possible to flip both UCLA and North Carolina St with Florida St and Stanford in the Kansas City region and still achieve all the principles. I won't change my bracket, but the Committee will hopefully consider your point.


er.... Twisted Evil

let's send OrSU out there!



_________________
“Try to be a rainbow in someone's cloud.”
― Maya Angelou
SO ...I lost a bet with Rock about how many wins Chicago would get this year. My punishment - T. Young as my avatar. Well it could be worse!
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin