RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Should Indiana Gamble with the #2 Pick?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/06/18 10:12 am    ::: Should Indiana Gamble with the #2 Pick? Reply Reply with quote

If you are representing Indiana what would you do?

1. Indiana really needs a PG and could take one with #2 pick in the Draft.
2. But, now that Azura Stevens has entered the Draft, it changes the dynamics.
3. Should Indiana gamble on getting one of the three prominent PG/s at #8 and take Azura or another top lottery player at #2?
4. I would gamble.
5. If you take the three prominent PG’s (Canada, Brown & Mitchell) and put them in a bag, shake them up with flour,, and fry them up for dinner. They’ll pretty much taste the same. Each of these three are different and bring some similar but different skills and aspects to the game and team. But, overall is there’s really not that great of a difference among them when considering you could get a prominent player at #2 (who is not going to be available come #Cool.
6. If Indiana takes Azura at #2, the gamble then becomes, “Will the three prominent PG’s all be selected in the next 5 picks?”(before #Cool
7. Take away DeShields and it’s down to 4 picks.
8. Chicago really doesn’t need a PG but they might select say Mitchell for trading purposes or for themselves but they will need to pass up Williams, Vivians.and Nurse whom they could use too.
9. Now comes Seattle who needs a PG to replace Bird. Again same criteria, take one of the PG’s or take Williams should Chicago grab Mitchell..
10. Dallas could take a PG but they don’t really have to take one as they have Chong and might be better off with Big. However, Nurse would be a good pick for her defense and 3 pt. shooting and she can play PG too.
11. Washington could use a PG but they might take a forward like Vivians or Russell should Dallas pass on her.
12. The three prominent PG’s could all be taken before #8 and this is the gamble.
13. What would you do?
14. Me, I’m going to gamble and take Stevens. She’s not 100% ready yet but a rare commodity that don’t come around much, i.e., a Delle Donne.
And hopefully, I’ll be eating some Canada or Brown fried strips for Dinner at #8. Or maybe Nurse who is the PG for the Canadian National Team.
15. If my gamble fails, I’m probably getting Vivians, Nurse or maybe even a top 5 pick that drops to me. Not a bad combination so far and one I could not get if I didn’t gamble.
16. This leaves #12 available for another top player of my choice.
17. Should Dallas take one of the prominent PG’s instead of say Russell, they’ll need to either waive or trade Chong.
18. Indiana is second in line to take Chong on Waivers after Las Vegas who don’t need or will not want her. And there will be other PG opportunities available.
19. So, I'm going to end up with a basket full of goodies if I gamble.
20..YMMV

Last edited by RavenDog on 04/06/18 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/06/18 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you think Stevens is a Delle Donne caliber player then of course you take her. I don't see it, so I would stick to the plan and take Mitchell.

Also, the dropoff from Mitchell to Brown/Canada is pretty significant. It's more than the difference between Stevens and Vivians, and VV stands a fair chance of being available at #8.

PostPosted: 04/06/18 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Take the PG, no brainer.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/18 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm Pokey, I'm on the phone with Geno and coach P and trying to get an assessment of what they see as the great, good, bad, and ugly.

Depending on what the answers are I make my choice. The combo of size and talent are rare, but there are obviously issues. Without hearing what Geno and P have to say, I would be inclined to gamble. PGs don't come a dime a dozen but 6'6" players with some guard skills are pretty rare too. As good as Mitchell is on offense (and she's truly dynamic), her defense sucks, so ...

- Amanda Gorman
myrtle

PostPosted: 04/06/18 10:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Nixtreefan wrote:
Take the PG, no brainer.

A PG to me looks to set up her teammates first, then herself. Mitchell looks to set up herself first, then if that fails, for a teammate. There's a difference.

- Amanda Gorman
PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/06/18 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
If I'm Pokey, I'm on the phone with Geno and coach P and trying to get an assessment of what they see as the great, good, bad, and ugly.

Depending on what the answers are I make my choice. The combo of size and talent are rare, but there are obviously issues. Without hearing what Geno and P have to say, I would be inclined to gamble. PGs don't come a dime a dozen but 6'6" players with some guard skills are pretty rare too. As good as Mitchell is on offense (and she's truly dynamic), her defense sucks, so ...

I make those phone calls, but I am also on the phone with Chicago. Stevens fits them very well, much better than Mitchell. I know that 2 for 3 and 4 has mentioned, but I would also ask about something like 2 for 3 and Coates.

All else equal, I probably still want them to take Mitchell. But if you are happy with either (I would be) see what you can get.

bballjunkie

PostPosted: 04/06/18 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

6’6” only counts if you actually play to that height. Think about it, when a 6’6” player cannot make the starting line up, there are definitely issues. If she had guard skills better than any other of the starting 5, she would have been on the floor.

Nixtreefan

PostPosted: 04/06/18 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Nixtreefan wrote:
Take the PG, no brainer.

A PG to me looks to set up her teammates first, then herself. Mitchell looks to set up herself first, then if that fails, for a teammate. There's a difference.

Totally agree Myrtle and all the PGS have this problem, just as nearly all the players in this draft have problems. The question is whether you think you can get them to play the game you want them to play.

Randy

PostPosted: 04/06/18 12:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog I think you have made a pretty good case for the gamble. You might make a similar case for gambling on DeShields, or even Vadeeva. Plus, if Mitchell isn't really a PG then your case strengthens. I think if comes down to which do you think is really the best player and how much better are they than what's behind Door No. 2 (and 3).

The Wild Card in all of this is Vadeeva. If Pokey really wants her maybe she hopes to take her at 8 negating some of the arguments for Stevens.

toad455

PostPosted: 04/06/18 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The whole Poker-Vadeeva connection is interesting. Makes me believe she'll still take Mitchell at #2 and hope Vadeeva lands at #8. If not, then a draft day trade may happen.

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/06/18 12:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
RavenDog I think you have made a pretty good case for the gamble. You might make a similar case for gambling on DeShields, or even Vadeeva. Plus, if Mitchell isn't really a PG then your case strengthens. I think if comes down to which do you think is really the best player and how much better are they than what's behind Door No. 2 (and 3).

The Wild Card in all of this is Vadeeva. If Pokey really wants her maybe she hopes to take her at 8 negating some of the arguments for Stevens.

Yes, Diamond could be substituted for Azura.

I thought Putin forbid Vadeeva and company from coming to USA and playing in WNBA. Is this not true or just a rumor?

Shades

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

I thought Putin forbid Vadeeva and company from coming to USA and playing in WNBA. Is this not true or just a rumor?

Go click the link for that article and actually read what it says.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
cthskzfn

Location: In a world where a PSYCHOpath like Trump isn't potus.

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd roll the dice on Stevens and take the BA guard later on. They're gonna suck for a while anyway, so they don't have much to lose.

I don't see Mitchell as the savior some do.

PostPosted: 04/06/18 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Randy wrote:

It was an April Fools Day story.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/06/18 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
RavenDog wrote:
Randy wrote:

It was an April Fools Day story.

Looks like I fell for it... Embarassed

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 04/06/18 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

The key three words are her defense sucks! Laughing

PostPosted: 04/07/18 12:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

toad455 wrote:
The whole Poker-Vadeeva connection is interesting. Makes me believe she'll still take Mitchell at #2 and hope Vadeeva lands at #8. If not, then a draft day trade may happen.

Agree, Mitchell at 2 and Vadeeva at 8 would make Pokey quite happy I reckon

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/07/18 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As a PG in the WNBA, Mitchell's not going to be allowed or be able to take her customary 16 to 25 shots per game, run and drive all over the floor. She's going to have to settle herself down, penetrate and distribute the ball to the other players as a WNBA PG.

At 5' 6+" or 5'7", she's going to get more shots blocked in the WNBA and have to play against bigger and faster defenders that she was used to in College. She's not a good defender and the worst one among Canada, Brown and herself. As a PG, I'd rate her 3rd of these three. As a shooter and scorer first among these three but that's not going to be her role.

If she was 6'+ and played SF, it would be different but she's not going to be able to carry a WNBA team with her shooting or scoring from the PG position and she's a small 2 guard. Although she will shoot and score.

As a WNBA PG, instead of a College one, the job differs considerably from her full freedom and take over offense at The OSU to running and managing a team of professionals (see Kelsey Plum.)

I'm not saying she's a bad player or poor pick but Canada and Brown are better PG's than Mitchell. They both are better defenders and distributers of the ball. Brown is the bigger and stronger of the three especially when penetrating and driving. Canada is the best finisher of the three. This information is from Gabby Williams not me (see her on YouTube.)

So, why take Mitchell at #2 when you can get a lottery pick and pick up one of these three at #8 to play PG?

#2 Azura,
#8 Canada, Brown, Mitchell or Nurse
#14 Best Available

Do it Pokey and I'll instantly become an Indiana Fever fan. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: