RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA free-agency winners and losers (ESPN)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/04/18 5:28 pm    ::: WNBA free-agency winners and losers (ESPN) Reply Reply with quote

WNBA free-agency winners and losers
Eli Horowitz (ESPN)

With the NCAA tournament in the books, it's time to start looking ahead to the WNBA draft on April 12 (ESPN2, 7 p.m. ET).

But first, let's break down the free-agency period to see where each team stands heading into a draft that multiple general managers said has nine potential impact players.

http://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/23020498/wnba-free-agency-winners-losers

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 04/04/18 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PLEASE click on the link and read the article!

First, it does well to show the number of clicks which can justify additional WNBA coverage.

Second, there is a LOT of good inside information in the article, including salary information, inside perspectives from GMs, etc.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/04/18 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not too far in, and that Sims salary info already has me gagged.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/04/18 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Yeah seems like this could be a do or die year for Sims. Maybe they dont feel she deserves the max just yet and i cannot disagree.

PostPosted: 04/04/18 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Right?

LA has a long history/reputation of creative salary cap shenanigans (for lack of a better description), but that one shocked me.

And it is nice to see actual figures, rather than just relying on guesses, based on players signed, looking at the salary cap for minimum salaries, etc.

It was also interesting to hear the GMs express concerns about two of the three new acquisitions for Las Vegas.

zune69

PostPosted: 04/04/18 7:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last 13 reg season gms Sims avg about 16p/4a/45%/35%/93%

Playoffs:15.9p/3.6a/44%/35%/93%

Keep in mind that Sims was injured for most of the season...65k seems ridiculously low...LA gave Sims a brown bag with 50k in it.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/04/18 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Keep in mind that Sims was injured for most of the season...65k seems ridiculously low...LA gave Sims a brown bag with 50k in it.

Imagine Toler "Here OD just settle for this 1 season" and next year were going to Pay you millions Rolling Eyes . All of this for Cappie ? Id personally be offended if my talents were being Devalued for an aging Vet. This should show that O is becoming a team player i guess.

PostPosted: 04/04/18 7:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Imagine Toler "Here OD just settle for this 1 season" and next year were going to Pay you millions Rolling Eyes . All of this for Cappie ? Id personally be offended if my talents were being Devalued for an aging Vet. This should show that O is becoming a team player i guess.

+1

Randy

PostPosted: 04/04/18 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rather hard to see why Simms took that deal. Since she was an RFA it seems like somebody would have offered her more.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 04/04/18 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes if Sims took the deal because she likes being in LA and they will offer her a max deal next year (she will still technically be a RFA) then it does show a great commitment to the team.

As a RFA she did have the option to sign another deal and force LA to match, I would be shocked if no one offered her a max deal or at least a substantially better deal, (you don't really have to be great to get max in the W just top 5 or 6 on your respective team) so I am assuming Sims chose the LA scenario.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 04/04/18 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Yes if Sims took the deal because she likes being in LA and they will offer her a max deal next year (she will still technically be a RFA) then it does show a great commitment to the team.

As a RFA she did have the option to sign another deal and force LA to match, I would be shocked if no one offered her a max deal or at least a substantially better deal, (you don't really have to be great to get max in the W just top 5 or 6 on your respective team) so I am assuming Sims chose the LA scenario.

That's what I found surprising. She hasn't been there long, and that is a lot of loyalty to show to take a cut that is half of your potential salary. There must be other reasons that she likes LA.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/04/18 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sims signed her qualifying offer (on the very first day she was allowed to). Given Cappie didn't sign for weeks afterwards, I'm not convinced there was a direct link between the two moves as the writer suggests. But regardless, the Sims move made no sense at the time, and still really doesn't. Not surprised he got multiple league sources to confirm it, considering several teams were probably pissed off at how dubious it looks.

She still won't be a UFA next year, by the way. You need six years in the league for unrestricted free agency, so she'll just be an RFA again.

PostPosted: 04/04/18 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Sims signed her qualifying offer (on the very first day she was allowed to). Given Cappie didn't sign for weeks afterwards, I'm not convinced there was a direct link between the two moves as the writer suggests. But regardless, the Sims move made no sense at the time, and still really doesn't. Not surprised he got multiple league sources to confirm it, considering several teams were probably pissed off at how dubious it looks.

She still won't be a UFA next year, by the way. You need six years in the league for unrestricted free agency, so she'll just be an RFA again.

Maybe LA knew they wanted cappie and she sure showed interest wayy before she signed. If i recall correctly she stated "I know what team i want to go to , but idk if they have room for me" somewhere along those lines so talks may have been going on already or early on before the signing period began. This makes me wonder what cappies deal looks like.

PostPosted: 04/04/18 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In defense of NY who did we really miss out on?

You can scratch all RFA who stayed with their own team off the list as that was likely to happen anyway.

I like Howard but would I be willing to flip 1st round picks for her? No, but that is mainly because our best player is already at that spot.

R. Montgomery, Breland I like them both, but I'm OK with who we have at guard, I guess Monty is better at getting her own offense, but I don't rank her any better or worse than Hartley, Prince or Rodgers (who I have faith will get closer to her 16 form again this season), and like Howard Breland would be behind our best player at the 4.

Swords, Bone I do wish we had a little more size, and I liked both players when they were here before, but are they still the player they were then and neither one screams that is the player that pushes us deeper in the playoffs and tbh I would have preferred Kizer to either, so I guess Kizer ranks as our biggest miss so far IMO.

I think T. Wright chose Minn more than she didn't chose NY, so I'm not sure things would have been any different without our off-season "will we exist" woes.

T. Young, M. Currie, yeah we need some help at SF, and Currie can score, but again I'm not too torn up about not getting either. I hope we address SF with our draft pick (or even by moving up in the draft) but that is covered in other threads.

Trading for January or D-Rob, I would like a more solid starting PG but would I give up our first round pick for either? Maybe, but again not too upset about them going where they went instead.

So if not signing Kizer was our biggest miss, and keeping our third place 20+ winning team from last year intact (minus Nayo) was the best we could do I'm OK with that.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/05/18 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

don't agree with everything there but in general it's a nice well thought out/researched article. Much better than we usually get.

- Amanda Gorman
ClayK

PostPosted: 04/05/18 10:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An excellent article, except for the references to the "deep draft." The Sims' thing is very odd -- but there are ways around salary issues. She could be working for Magic Johnson on the side for $50,000.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
An excellent article, except for the references to the "deep draft." The Sims' thing is very odd -- but there are ways around salary issues. She could be working for Magic Johnson on the side for $50,000.

There are rules about that sort of thing.

Then again, this is the Sparks we're talking about...

Last edited by pilight on 04/05/18 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/05/18 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:

Which would be salary cap circumvention. That's the whole point of it being dubious.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 11:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Evidently, Ms. Bone enjoyed the article.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/18 11:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

stever wrote:
Evidently, Ms. Bone enjoyed the article.

Well they did kind of categorize her in the uncoachable bad lockeroom type player group Laughing Hell they singled out Young , Bone & Swords , But real fans knew it was directed at bone specifically .

PostPosted: 04/05/18 11:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem: Swords posted a 6.5 PER in 2017, Bone a 3.2 and Young a 5.5. Not only is it unclear if these are the right veterans to bring in from a basketball standpoint, two general managers questioned whether some of these players bring positive locker room presences.

So it's must be at least 2 of the 3 that might not bring "positive looker presences." That's not quite saying Bone was singled out. Evil Bill coached 2 of the 3 and I'd say he's up to the job though.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/05/18 11:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
Quote:
The problem: Swords posted a 6.5 PER in 2017, Bone a 3.2 and Young a 5.5. Not only is it unclear if these are the right veterans to bring in from a basketball standpoint, two general managers questioned whether some of these players bring positive locker room presences.

So it's must be at least 2 of the 3 that might not bring "positive looker presences." That's not quite saying Bone was singled out. Evil Bill coached 2 of the 3 and I'd say he's up to the job though.

Yeah i dont think bill has a problem with it at all , its more so the outsiders who have made this a big deal . Maybe they're referring to Bone for her past issues with Conn & Young because of her Reality star fame start up. Bill has had to deal with worse in a player so im sure this is nothing.

PostPosted: 04/05/18 12:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Or she just might've been talking about this - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/04/05/espn-broadcast-cuts-away-lakers-spurs-potential-game-winning-shot/488432002/ - which she retweeted a clip of immediately afterwards...

PostPosted: 04/05/18 12:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Or she just might've been talking about this - https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2018/04/05/espn-broadcast-cuts-away-lakers-spurs-potential-game-winning-shot/488432002/ - which she retweeted a clip of immediately afterwards...

Gotta maintain plausible deniability Laughing

PostPosted: 04/05/18 12:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Gotta maintain plausible deniability Laughing

Well sue did post about this on her Instagram Daily Feed also , so this could be legit.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: